Votes: 54 16.8%
  • Zayne Parekh

Votes: 17 5.3%

• Total voters

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
No chance Habs pass on a guaranteed top 2 d man if the forwards they want are all gone. No chance.

The only guy that would be available in that scenario is Silayev and they're not using a top 5 pick on a LD, especially one they don't see for 3 years.

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
Knowing this team, Demidov will somehow fall which would give an extremely rare chance at drafting him and then we’ll draft Catton or Parekh instead
When did this org not draft a player available who talking heads reported the org was enamored with?

Redux91

I do Three bullets.
Sep 5, 2006
Kirkland, Montreal
I'll give the benefit of the doubt to this scouting staff until proven otherwise but tentatively, Mickov + a stud D this draft would look a lot better on paper imo.
With the benefit of hindsight sure, super easy to say this now

But it was impossible to know last year we'd be picking 5th again the next year

Management does not have the benefit of seeing into the future, try as they might

So we could very well of went F last year, Kirby doesn't get hurt, and then draft 15th this year
And then no stud D to take to take this year
See what I mean?

But dont get me wrong , WITH hindsight included, it definitely looks like it would of been the better option turns out..
But this is where we are now

ChesterNimitz

governed by the principle of calculated risk
Jul 4, 2002
I’m not in camp of taking a forward just for the sake of taking a forward. The Habs have a good stable of up and coming D and prospects, but still don’t have one that looks to be a true 1D. They aren’t in the position to be able to pass on a potential franchise D if that’s the BPA at 5. And there are several D with that potential at the top of this draft.
Couldn’t have said it better.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
I'll give management the benefit of the doubt for now, but yeah Michkov+Buium/Silayev instead of Iginla/Sennecke+Reinbacher seems like a no brainer to me.
Buium/Silayev are both left shooters.

It's gonna be a D boys. Lindstrom/Iginla are just not in that tier.

Guhle-Reinbacher
Dickinson, Buium, Levshunov - Mailloux
Hutson-Xhekaj
Struble-Engstrom

Matheson,Savard,Kovacevic, Barron,Harris trade chips

IMG_7813.gif.aa0aa4217d710d28e94961893a0a94bb.gif
They aren’t taking a LD. No way.

Jabba11

Hockey Lobby
Nov 28, 2009
hockeylobby.blogspot.com
I don't get it. Why are people so hung up on drafting only a forward at 5. I don't care if we have a need, and that you can only have top line wingers/centermen through the draft. That's not true. Finding an Eichel is possible. Finding a top 2D is impossible. This is such a dangerous way of thinking we are set on defence so we should disregard it. If the best projected player available when we draft is a LD/RD, then we pick him over a lesser projected forward.

Seb

All we are is Dustin Byfuglien
Jul 15, 2006
I don't get it. Why are people so hung up on drafting only a forward at 5. I don't care if we have a need, and that you can only have top line wingers/centermen through the draft. That's not true. Finding an Eichel is possible. Finding a top 2D is impossible. This is such a dangerous way of thinking we are set on defence so we should disregard it. If the best projected player available when we draft is a LD/RD, then we pick him over a lesser projected forward.

Because players from 5 to 15 are interchangeable, there's no clear BPA. Considering our abundance of LDs and our lack of top line forward, it makes a lot of sense to pick one, especially if Demidov or Lindstrom is available.

Habs7631

Feb 28, 2017
Lets hope Michkov really takes 4 years to come in and let's hope he's a good but unspectafular player.

Reading the Michkov thread on the Flyers board, looks like it won’t take 4 years. That thread is the most bipolar thread I’ve ever read, it’s 50/50 celebration or negative vibes.

The positive side is there’s some weird stuff going on with him and SKA, rumors of contract buyout and what not. They look hopeful that he will come some time this year.

The negative (and funny) side of that Michkov thread is how they talk about Tortorella gonna ruin him, bench him and throw him under the bus to the media to assert dominance.

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax

Because our own GM and head scout have come out and say they are targeting a forward, or a right shot defenseman. They are more than comfortable with their LD group now and in the future and don't think its smart to take a non-consensus LD prospect with a 5th overall pick to add to a group they are all very satisfied with.

Saundies

Fly On The Wall
Jun 8, 2012
NB, Canada
Where? Eichel was a super unique circumstance that the Habs had no chance on because he's in their division.

You can't use the one name that has moved in the last 10-15 years that made a difference like that and say it's possible to find him. It's not. Not unless insane circumstances occur.

People assumed PLD could be a guy like that, look at him now.

Are fans of this time really content with not having guys that don't get at least a point a game on their team? A team without a superstar forward for the last however many decades?

Leto

Feb 16, 2023
The conversation about picking a D would be bigger if there were more RD at the top end of the draft. Levshunov is unlikely to be there at 5, leaving Parekh and Yakemchuk, whom both have some reasonable questions marks. If you go by Hughes' recent comments, he would probably take Levshunov at 5.​

Reading the Michkov thread on the Flyers board, looks like it won’t take 4 years. That thread is the most bipolar thread I’ve ever read, it’s 50/50 celebration or negative vibes.

The positive side is there’s some weird stuff going on with him and SKA, rumors of contract buyout and what not. They look hopeful that he will come some time this year.

The negative (and funny) side of that Michkov thread is how they talk about Tortorella gonna ruin him, bench him and throw him under the bus to the media to assert dominance.

If they believe Michkov is their future star forward, they should give Torts the boot. You can easily get another coach on the open market, but not a prospective star.

sampollock

Jun 7, 2008
in my home
Because our own GM and head scout have come out and say they are targeting a forward, or a right shot defenseman. They are more than comfortable with their LD group now and in the future and don't think its smart to take a non-consensus LD prospect with a 5th overall pick to add to a group they are all very satisfied with.
are any of those big D a pronger type?

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
There is no clear BPA. Moreover, drafting a LD high means we have to trade two of Ghule, Hutson and Matheson. Doesn’t really make a lot of sense.

If it’s a RD? Maybe we do it if that player is really good. Then I guess we try to trade up to a mid range pick and take a forward there.

G0bias

Oct 4, 2007
MTL
Knowing this team, Demidov will somehow fall which would give an extremely rare chance at drafting him and then we’ll draft Catton or Parekh instead
Classic Habs would be something like, Chicago unexpectedly goes Lindstrom getting us all hyped for Demidov, just for Columbus to take him in front of us. (mod)

The way she goes.
Screen Shot 2024-05-13 at 2.27.38 PM (2).png

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad