Votes: 11 3.2%
  • Beckett Sennecke

Votes: 55 15.9%
  • Zayne Parekh

Votes: 18 5.2%

• Total voters

SannywithoutCompy

Dec 22, 2020
Strictly offensive stats wise, he had 11 points in 63 KHL games, as a comparison Simashev had 0 in 18 in his draft year in the same league and went #6 last year. I would be really interested in seeing your list of 12 better prospect than him, since until recently Silayev was often in debate vs Demidov as far as best euro prospect go for 2024.
You can look a few posts above yours, I posted it there. Most of his points came at the start of the year during a hot streak which is impressive, but we've seen dmen with hot streaks in the NHL as well (Dietz, Diaz) who can't sustain their offense.

I just don't see the offensive tools with him. Should still be a 20-30 point shutdown guy which is certainly valuable, I just don't see Chara or Hedman.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
Curious if any of the guys on this board have seen any of these kids play at all??
Other than Cellebrini??

This is why we have to trust Uncle Nik Bobrov and Sir Marty Lapointe......who put it all in the hands of HuGo....

There are posters who do watch a lot of the prospects. They obviously don't watch them all at the extent the scouts do. But they have watched a lot of them and have insight on a lot more than just the top of the draft. They'll list guys they feel would be good picks at the Jets pick and even players they'd target with our 2nd round picks.

But after two drafts, I've liked what the scouting team under Bobrov and Lapointe have done. A bunch of intriguing players in different positions they've selected.

Ozmodiar

Oct 18, 2017
SJ: Celebrini

CHI: Lindstrom - can be either the centrepiece of their 2nd line or Bedard’s power winger. Either gives Bedard - their franchise - some form of protection/shelter. A better fit than Demidov.

ANA: Levshunov

CLB: Parekh - LW and RD are their needs. This guy is worthy of the pick.

MTL: Demidov

waitin425

Jan 10, 2009
Canada
Man....watching Sennecke highlights and reading how he went from 5'10 to 2 years ago and is now 6'3 pushing 6'4", but is shifty like a 5'10 player.....I am very very very sold on this guy.

My top 2 remain Celebrini and Demidov.

My next tier of players, whom I would not be upset with are......

Lindstrom, Sennecke, Iginla

SannywithoutCompy

Dec 22, 2020
Man....watching Sennecke highlights and reading how he went from 5'10 to 2 years ago and is now 6'3 pushing 6'4", but is shifty like a 5'10 player.....I am very very very sold on this guy.

My top 2 remain Celebrini and Demidov.

My next tier of players, whom I would not be upset with are......

Lindstrom, Sennecke, Iginla
His development reminds me a lot of Wyatt Johnston's.

Now that I actually have faith in our development process I would not mind taking a swing at him.

GrandmaCookie

Feb 10, 2019
You can look a few posts above yours, I posted it there. Most of his points came at the start of the year during a hot streak which is impressive, but we've seen dmen with hot streaks in the NHL as well (Dietz, Diaz) who can't sustain their offense.

I just don't see the offensive tools with him. Should still be a 20-30 point shutdown guy which is certainly valuable, I just don't see Chara or Hedman.
He has a heavy shot which will get heavier as he bulk up and good mobility. Full length season in the KHL is impressive for a young defenseman, will be interesting to see how is offensive game improve if it does in his D+1 in the KHL since he will most likely come back with better conditioning and experience. 2 points in 5 KHL playoffs game ain't too shaby either. You might be right he might just become a 20 points defenseman but I'm high on Chara/Hedman/Pronger types of defenseman I think it is the most valuable asset you can have on a team so I might be biased and overrate this guy.

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
I think my top 13 are pretty set and definitely won't change again (probably will):

The margin between 3 and 13 is pretty razor thin which is nuts in a draft like this.

1. Celebrini
2. Demidov
13. Catton not a fan
4. Buium
5. Dickinson
9. Levshunov not best fit
8. Sennecke
3. Lindstrom would be higher on my list
11. Parekh not best fit
7. Iginla would be higher on my list
14. Helenius not a fan
6. Yakemchuk would be higher on my list
12. Silayev agree over-rated
10. Eiserman - goals are good

Based on all of this, I would be ready to trade down 3-5 spots in exchange for a young middle-six forward, if Demidov and Lindstrom are grabbed before we pick. I think we would still get a player I want at spots 8-10

SannywithoutCompy

Dec 22, 2020
He has a heavy shot which will get heavier as he bulk up and good mobility. Full length season in the KHL is impressive for a young defenseman, will be interesting to see how is offensive game improve if it does in his D+1 in the KHL since he will most likely come back with better conditioning and experience. 2 points in 5 KHL playoffs game ain't too shaby either. You might be right he might just become a 20 points defenseman but I'm high on Chara/Hedman/Pronger types of defenseman I think it is the most valuable asset you can have on a team so I might be biased and overrate this guy.
Could definitely happen, I just see it as less likely he hits that upside than the guys ahead of him.

And hey we've all got our biases, mine is usually towards skilled Russians (man I wanted Buchelnikov).

1. Celebrini
2. Demidov
13. Catton not a fan
4. Buium
5. Dickinson
9. Levshunov not best fit
8. Sennecke
3. Lindstrom would be higher on my list
11. Parekh not best fit
7. Iginla would be higher on my list
14. Helenius not a fan
6. Yakemchuk would be higher on my list
12. Silayev agree over-rated
10. Eiserman - goals are good

Based on all of this, I would be ready to trade down 3-5 spots in exchange for a young middle-six forward, if Demidov and Lindstrom are grabbed before we pick. I think we would still get a player I want at spots 8-10
Trading down would definitely be on the table for me. Or up lol.

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
I mean there's worst things in the world than having a 6'7 monster on your team
Lowkey getting annoyed with people underrating him, he's a stud. I don't even think I'd be upset if we got him.

Guhle-Reinbacher
Hutson-Silayev
Xhekaj-Mailloux

That is a defense core that will give the other team zero room in the playoffs and every one of them is an elite skater.

Reactions: Mrb1p

jaffy27

From Russia wth Pain
Nov 18, 2007
Orleans
The Canadiens might even be tempted to spend the assets it would cost to move up in the draft to grab Demidov”

- Arpon Basu, The Athletic
And it’s understandable why….

Hughes has come out and said that they see themselves in the mix for the playoffs, as soon as next season, top 10 picks may be a thing of the past under this regime.

Essentially, this draft, barring them winning the lottery at 11 in future drafts will be our last chance at top 5 talent so the idea of actually moving back puzzles me a little. A #5 pick holds tremendous value….Hughes knows this.

If I’m Hughes, I’m moving up in the draft to secure that top fwd because we will not be able to put our hands on such a young talent for a long long time.

Drafting a Lindstrom or Demidov, along with a Dach type trade would Secure this teams top 6 and sets us up nicely for years of offensive production and possible playoff success!

Last edited:

SwiftyHab

Sponsor
Apr 18, 2004
Platinum Member
That would work.

Have conditional trades ever been revisited and restructured before?
If they want the 5th pick, id ask for their 9th and for them to remove all conditions next year, no protection on their pick AND their Florida pick. High price but Iginla would be gold for marketing their rebuild

Reactions: waitin425

GrandmaCookie

Feb 10, 2019
And it’s understandable why….

Hughes has come out and said that they see themselves in the mix for the playoffs, as soon as next season, top 10 picks may be a thing of the past under this regime.

Essentially, this draft, barring them winning the lottery at 11 will be our last chance at top 5 talent so the idea of actually moving back puzzles me a little. A #5 pick holds tremendous value….Hughes knows this.

If I’m Hughes, I’m moving up in the draft to secure that top fwd because we will not be able to put our hands on such a young talent for a long long time.

Drafting a Lindstrom or Demidov, along with a Dach type trade would Secure this teams top 6 and sets us up nicely for years of offensive production and possible playoff success!
Only potential trade partner I could see to move up is ANA.

If Chicago go with Levshunov, Anaheim might want to swap with us to get their D in Silayev, then we get Demidov at 3 and Lidstrom goes 4th to Columbus. Wonder what kind of sweetner they would want tho.

Last edited:
Reactions: jaffy27

SannywithoutCompy

Dec 22, 2020
Est ce qu'on a confiance en HuGo? much more important question than who we personally want
I think so. I do question their draft strategy as I think there are a few dmen who will be available this year who are better than Reinbacher, and I think I'd take Michkov over any forward who would be available to us this year (with the possible exception of Demidov who is close to on par with him).

I wanted Nemec over Slaf which is still a bit early to make any definitive judgments about, though both are looking like cornerstones. I'd have also taken Hutson at 26 (and then 33 as well lol), but we ended up getting him in the end so fair play.

Our later round picks are looking great under them, full credit to them there.

Reactions: The Gr8 Dane

Leto

Feb 16, 2023

Hughes talked about the possibly of overpaying with the arsenal of picks and assets for something that would fit our window... I think it's time to break the assets piggy bank to move up. One S tier prospect will trump a plethora of B-C prospects.​

Last edited:

Kosseca

Feb 23, 2020
Just for fun, I looked at what Ana and CLB boards where predicting their picks could be and base on their preference. Seems to me that the odds of Lindstrom being available at 5 are very small. They all think the team before them will pick him or they prefer him over other option, including Demidov. Also, when having to decide between Demidov vs dman, while this is not a unconstested preference, seems like Ana and CLB would go for a dman.

Oddly enough, base on this, there are more chances that MTL leave Vegas with Demidov then any other forward.

Reactions: habsfan891

KevSkillz4

Apr 11, 2016
Berkly Catton need to be in the conversation on Habs scouts meeting.

He reminds me of Clayton Keller and Logan Cooley. That's a huge offensive talent right there.

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Fans are always gonna want forwards, I wouldn't use the fan base as a barometer. Beat writers close to the team have more weight.

Chicago's said its Demidov or Levshunov.
We know that makes sense.
Anaheim wants a RD or a right shot forward. Levshunov or Helenius are the fits and rumors there.
CBJ is rumored to love Silayev.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad