Votes: 11 3.2%
  • Beckett Sennecke

Votes: 55 16.1%
  • Zayne Parekh

Votes: 18 5.3%

• Total voters

SannywithoutCompy

Dec 22, 2020
last 10 teams to win the cup seems to have a recurrent tandem of elite 1C, oftentime two-way and elite 1D:

2023: 1C (Eichel), 1D(Pietrangelo)

2022: 1C(Mackinnon), 1D(Makar)

2021: 1C(Point/Stamkos), 1D (Hedman)

2020: 1C(Point/Stamkos), 1D (Hedman)

2019: 1C(O’Reilly), 1D (Pietrangelo)

2018: Different formula

2017: Different formula

2016: 1C(Crosby), 1D(Letang)

2015: 1C(Toews), 1D (Keith)

2014: 1C(Kopitar), 1D (Doughty)

2013: 1C(Toews), 1D (Keith)

the times the formula for 1C + 1D wasn’t respected happened to be for teams with generational talent in Ovechkin or Crosby.
I also have more faith in any of our defense prospects (though most likely one of Hutson, Guhle, Mailloux, or Reinbacher) to turn into that 1D than I do any of our forward prospects (...Roy? Beck?) to turn into top line, or even top 6 players.

Habricot

Oct 22, 2017
Just realising now that there is a near 100 point defenseman in Zayne Parekh that will be available interesting. Smallish blue liner for sure but his insane offensive production has to amount for something...
Why would any team interested in a Makar type player..

Habs7631

Feb 28, 2017
If I'm Chicago I'm picking a D all day long. They take longer to develop and they need to set up the cornerstones of their future top 4. They'll still be horrible next year and there are several stud forwards in the 2025 draft by the looks of it.

I've been saying this. The rumbling last year was that this year draft would be D heavy. And it is.

Early predictions of next year draft looks full of forwards in the top half.

This is the year to draft your top franchise Defenseman and next year you get your Forward.

Reactions: Kaladin

GrandmaCookie

Feb 10, 2019
I also have more faith in any of our defense prospects (though most likely one of Hutson, Guhle, Mailloux, or Reinbacher) to turn into that 1D than I do any of our forward prospects (...Roy? Beck?) to turn into top line, or even top 6 players
we already have Suzuki who can play the two-way elite #1 C on a championship team. Not sure I see a pillar for a championship caliber d-core in Hutson or Ghule, but Reinbacher could be the one if is development follow a good path.

SannywithoutCompy

Dec 22, 2020
Lindstrom has the better shot, but other than that and being more filled out (bad thing?), why do you prefer Lindstrom over Sennecke? Their skating is close, though I prefer Sennecke, but what sets Sennecke apart is his hands and vision. It’s just on another level compared to Lindstrom who’s got hands of stone and blinders on while Sennecke has some of the best mitts and offensive vision in the draft. To me it’s just what gives Sennecke much more upside. Lindstrom is big, mean and can really rip pucks, but Sennecke is just a much more well rounded offensive package in a physical 6’3” frame himself.
Sennecke could definitely be better than Lindstrom long term. I have serious questions about Lindstrom's vision and passing ability (bit of a nitpick but he misses a questionable amount of short range passes), but still think he's a good bet to be a 35-20/25 kind of guy. Sennecke is more raw but also more complete in that I don't think any skills are really trailing behind others for him, he seems to just keep getting better at everything.

SannywithoutCompy

Dec 22, 2020
we already have Suzuki who can play the two-way elite #1 C on a championship team. Not sure a see a pillar for a championship caliber d-core in Hutson or Ghule, but Reinbacher could be the one if is development follow a good path.
He certainly can but that won't be enough. We need a line driver for the 2nd line, and while I like Dach, he hasn't exactly inspired confidence that he can stay healthy. That's where I'd rather go for a Demidov or a Catton (even if he doesn't end up playing C), because they can give us 2 great lines that will be hard to match up against.

A top 4 of
Guhle-Mailloux
Hutson-Reinbacher
may not feature an elite 1D but if developed properly they can be 2 pairings capable of 23+ minutes a night, with 2 lines up front both capable of 18+ minutes a night. I think our need right now is more scoring, our defense should be pretty solid with what we have.

Kudo Shinichi

Apr 20, 2012
He is bluffing for sure.
But if this is for real and he skips Buium for that sole reason, I am sorry but he is not better than BargainBin.

This is a guy who had Makar's production in the NCAA while being 2 years younger.

If scouts were confident in Buium becoming the next Makar, he wouldn't have been ranked the 5th D on Bob's list.

Reactions: Kosseca

Shutdown

Sep 7, 2009
Montreal
Here's the thing, I get excited when I see our second round Hutson and watching him play, I don't get that about our #5 and I feel it's wrong. I wouldn't trade Lane before Reinbacher. Nobody is talking about Reinbacher in the prospect world, they are drooling over our second rounder. I watched that, and in another off-beat interview he says 2nd pairing, so maybe it's all in the wording. I hope I'm wrong, we need him to be a stud with that high of a pick.
you've been wrong before, you'll be wrong again - don't worry

Reactions: themilosh

Twisted Sinister

Living in Your Head Rent Free
Oct 8, 2014
I thought he said #2 defenceman.

Hey, Serge Savard was a #2 defenceman!

I honestl;y don't know and did not check - Were you one of the people saying Slafkovsky had no elite skills?

I was saying Slaf had potential but played like a dumbass. I liked his passing, didn't love his shot, but liked his moar bigger and puck protection. I still don't think he has ELITE skills, but you don't need elite skills if you're a f***ing behemoth who knows how to use it and have above average skills. Would have preferred another pick. Happy to be (possibly) wrong.

They seem to have fixed the hockey IQ (if he keeps it up) and he's improved his shot drastically. I want to see how he does when games matter. Galchenyuk did ok too when nothing was on the line.

Helenius is not a behemoth. What are his elite skills? He has good hockey IQ, but i don't see where he specifically excels other than being a decent all-rounder. I haven't seen a ton of him compared to some other prospects, but a lot of what I've seen has left me with a sense of Meh.

McGees

Jun 15, 2016
You really think theirs an 80% chance that Leshnukov and Silayev are not going top 4? Or even a Buium or Dickinson?? I think its almost the opposite, theirs 65-75% chance that two of these guys will be top 4
Whichever D are picked, I'm just saying Lindtrom and Demidov will be gone before 5.

DramaticGloveSave

Voice of Reason
Apr 17, 2017
Sennecke could definitely be better than Lindstrom long term. I have serious questions about Lindstrom's vision and passing ability (bit of a nitpick but he misses a questionable amount of short range passes), but still think he's a good bet to be a 35-20/25 kind of guy. Sennecke is more raw but also more complete in that I don't think any skills are really trailing behind others for him, he seems to just keep getting better at everything.
Agreed, obviously Lindstrom has rare size, is a good athlete and can rip pucks, but there are definitely aspects of his game that really lag behind. The playmaking as you said but also his hands to me are concerning as he really handles the puck quite poorly for a top prospect.

Sennecke to me isn’t filled out yet, and isn’t quite the shooter, but the aspects of Lindstroms game that lag behind are actually real strengths for Sennecke. If I’m targeting a big forward, I’m taking Sennecke over Lindstrom quite easily. His upside is through the roof, I’m actually having a tough time thinking of a comp for him. I’ve heard a faster, physical Jason Spezza. He’s a really impressive and rare forward from a trait perspective.

themilosh

Sponsor
Apr 27, 2015
Oakville, ON
formula for Stanley Cup still remains: 1C franchise or at least elite, 1D franchise or at least elite, 1G elite or at least really good. Habs may have their #1 C in Suzuki, but do they have the D and the G?
In a Cap world everything is relative. VGK doesn't have a franchise player (and Eichel was bought not drafted). Also depends on GM idiocy.. Price at $10.5M is insane.. personally, i believe the NHL is headed for franchise depth to truly win. The gap btw 1st liners and 3rd liners has really narrowed in the last 5 years. Salaries have to be reasonable, otherwise trade.

Im not sold on needing that franchise forward, but...... the top 6 have to basically be an interchangeable 1a/b.

Our D are looking nice... top 4 of Guhle/reinbacher/mailloux/hutson/Xhekj is very promising - 1 or 2 of these guys will be used in a Cousins for Bowen type swap - this is not our final roster but we're looking very solulid.

And our G depth is equally strong..

I havent felt this relaxed about the direction of the CH since prior to the mind boggling hire of Tremblay/Houle.

The 85-93 Habs are similar makeup and they were fun to watch.

Last edited:

SannywithoutCompy

Dec 22, 2020
Agreed, obviously Lindstrom has rare size, is a good athlete and can rip pucks, but there are definitely aspects of his game that really lag behind. The playmaking as you said but also his hands to me are concerning as he really handles the puck quite poorly for a top prospect.

Sennecke to me isn’t filled out yet, and isn’t quite the shooter, but the aspects of Lindstroms game that lag behind are actually real strengths for Sennecke. If I’m targeting a big forward, I’m taking Sennecke over Lindstrom quite easily. His upside is through the roof, I’m actually having a tough time thinking of a comp for him. I’ve heard a faster, physical Jason Spezza. He’s a really impressive and rare forward from a trait perspective.
Yeah he's tough to compare to anyone. There's a bit of Bobby Ryan in his game, could be a good comp once he's filled out, but he's obviously faster with less of a mean streak.

GrandmaCookie

Feb 10, 2019
In a Cap world everything is relative. VGK doesn't have a franchise player (and Eichel was bought not drafted). Also depends on GM idiocy.. Price at $10.5M is insane.. personally, i believe the NHL is headed for franchise depth to truly win. The gap btw 1st liners and 3rd liners has really narrowed in the last 5 years. Salaries have to be reasonable, otherwise trade.

Im not sold on needing that franchise forward, but...... the top 6 have to basically be an interchangeable 1a/b.

Our D are looking nice... top 4 of Guhle/reinbacher/mailloux/hutson/Xhekj is very promising - 1 or 2 of these guys will be used in a Cousins for Bowen type swap - this is not our final roster but we're looking very solulid.

And our G depth is equally strong..
franchise is not needed, I just added it to differentiate the O'Reilly of the Mackinnon. But elite #1C and elite #1D are pretty much a must to win a cup, see my post #407.

Point remains you need elite talent at key positions, and besides Suzuki, what kind of elite talent do with have in the pipeline? Slafkosvky and maybe Caufield are projecting for that, but whee is the elite talent at the blue line? and in front of the net to a lesser extend?

Reactions: themilosh

ChesterNimitz

governed by the principle of calculated risk
Jul 4, 2002
If Hughes is truly leaning towards Sennecke, then trade down as Sennecke should be available between 9-12. I don’t think it will happen as one of Catton or Iginla will be available.

A more likely scenario would be if Sennecke starts to fall, I could see Hughes using Winnipeg’s first and the Avalanche’s second plus one or Montreal’s excessive defencemen to move up.

GrandmaCookie

Feb 10, 2019
Silayev saying Columbus and Utah are the most interested in him.

Imagine if Silayev said Montreal. I'd love to see the reaction from the fanbase :laugh::naughty:
Silayev-Reinbacher would have the potential to be a solid first pair of defenseman for the next 15 years. We would be though to play against.

too bad about the log jam of average to good young D at LD.

GlassesJacketShirt

Aug 4, 2010
Sherbrooke
Well, Chicago fans seem to want Demidov and not a D. Think that forward is far more of a priority.

Demidov would be their new Panarin.

As much as people are pining for the Blackhawks needing D, I think their primary need is size at forward. I'm not saying I would drop down if I were Davidson, but if Columbus or Montreal or Utah goes to them with a trade of picks, I consider what else can be added to.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Makar himself was ranked close to 15th overall on several lists in his draft year. Colorado picking him at 4 was a considered a reach at the time.
He was 4th on Bob's final list. If you pick the next guy on Bob's list it's the consensus pick so it can't be a reach.

Proof:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad