• Beckett Sennecke

Votes: 55 16.8%
  • Zayne Parekh

Votes: 17 5.2%

• Total voters

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
And Matthew Knies has been more impactful than Morgan Rielly. I don’t buy this argument.

I just don’t think they can pass up the opportunity to pick a really talented forward here. The team stinks offensively.
I think we’re in better shape than you do. That first line is going to improve. A healthy Dach with Roy is a great start to a second line.

Yeah, I’d love another great forward but I feel like we’ve got five good ones now. And Newhook’s a solid second liner as well.

Reactions: Rozz

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
Catton probably most skilled at 5 but Habs really need size also. Chance to get size and skill is rare. Lindstrom if he's there, Habs may trade up to get him. If not, either Sennecke or Ignila be Montreal pick.

Spearmint Rhino

Sep 17, 2013
Some shrewd wheeling and dealing, make it happen Kent :popcorn:

1714891501534.png

Ozmodiar

Oct 18, 2017
Catton probably most skilled at 5 but Habs really need size also. Chance to get size and skill is rare. Lindstrom if he's there, Habs may trade up to get him. If not, either Sennecke or Ignila be Montreal pick.
If you’re looking at the top 6, they don’t need more size. With Catton in the mix they’d be as big as any recent Cup winner if you look at weight. Only he and CC a little light.

A different story if there’s concern over Dach’s health.

They can add size to the bottom 6 instead.

Keep in mind, the Habs also need more skill.

Doublechin

Jun 23, 2013
I'm really really hoping we get picks 1 or 2, it feels that if we go 5,6 or 7 we might go by positional need (forward) and not BPA

The last couple times we've done that, I felt like our hit rate isn't the best and I'm mostly talking high picks. I really hope whoever they pick is BPA even if it's a LD.

I really could care less how deep we are at LD, worst case scenario, let's say we draft Buium and he's NHL ready in 2 years, by then you trade one of your top 3 LDs for a forward of similar value. Nothing else to it, all I'm saying is take the draft as asset management and not necessarily team building.

Last year I felt forwards were BPA at our draft position and by far and this year it's looking like the D men will win unless one of the top 3 forwards slides by wow act of God.

FrankMTL

Jan 6, 2005
Watching the Leafs year after year crumble in the playoffs is one of the reasons why we have to get a player like Lindstrom or Sennecke. These guys are big bulldogs on the ice and just by their size, skills and brute strength can make things happen and be difference makers even during the playoffs when the games are tighter.

Reactions: JustAHabFan

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Watching the Leafs year after year crumble in the playoffs is one of the reasons why we have to get a player like Lindstrom or Sennecke. These guys are big bulldogs on the ice and just by their size, skills and brute strength can make things happen and be difference makers even during the playoffs when the games are tighter.
No.

Watching the Leafs tells you one thing: your stars need to have serious mental capacity to perform when the stakes are high. Matthews and Marner are both extremely talented in all facets of the game, Matthews himself is a 6'4 and he was always said to bring good effort, etc in scouting reports.

The reality is both cannot perform. The single most important thing is psychological exams to figure out if these guys can or cannot. It's pretty clear that all three of our top forwards, and I'd say Dach too, are all absolute killers and can be seen as winners. This has nothing to do with size, style of play or a certain player archetype. Caufield is one of the softest and weakest player in history, yet he's an absolute gamer.

FrankMTL

Jan 6, 2005
No.

Watching the Leafs tells you one thing: your stars need to have serious mental capacity to perform when the stakes are high. Matthews and Marner are both extremely talented in all facets of the game, Matthews himself is a 6'4 and he was always said to bring good effort, etc in scouting reports.

The reality is both cannot perform. The single most important thing is psychological exams to figure out if these guys can or cannot. It's pretty clear that all three of our top forwards, and I'd say Dach too, are all absolute killers and can be seen as winners. This has nothing to do with size, style of play or a certain player archetype. Caufield is one of the softest and weakest player in history, yet he's an absolute gamer.
Fine, but your stars have to still be willing to get their noses dirty. These guys have to go to the net. The goals that they're scoring in the regular season mean jack shit. Psychological issues or not, you'd think they would have learned a thing or two during all the years of playoff failures. I think they know what they have to do, but they aren't willing to make the sacrifices to do it.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Fine, but your stars have to still be willing to get their noses dirty. These guys have to go to the net. The goals that they're scoring in the regular season mean jack shit. Psychological issues or not, you'd think they would have learned a thing or two during all the years of playoff failures. I think they know what they have to do, but they aren't willing to make the sacrifices to do it.
Draisaitl doesn't really go to the net, Kucherov doesn't, Caufield certainly doesn't do it at a great rate, etc. Yet they're all clear winners. It's a mental thing.

A good example of a pick like that was Kotkaniemi. KK had all the skills, the size, even the playstyle to be a playoff warrior type, yet he never had it in his mind to be a true winner. The mental aspect is so, so important.

Reactions: crosbyshow

FrankMTL

Jan 6, 2005
Draisaitl doesn't really go to the net, Kucherov doesn't, Caufield certainly doesn't do it at a great rate, etc. Yet they're all clear winners. It's a mental thing.

A good example of a pick like that was Kotkaniemi. KK had all the skills, the size, even the playstyle to be a playoff warrior type, yet he never had it in his mind to be a true winner. The mental aspect is so, so important.

Draisaitl goes to the net for sure. Caufield has only been in the playoffs once and he kind of caught fire a little. I'm curious to see how he will perform when the Habs get back to the playoffs. Kucherov is just a freak of nature....But yeah, mental aspect plays a large part too.

TT1

May 31, 2013
Montreal
it's very possible that Sennecke goes to 5 or top 10, no one thought Dach would go 3rd OA in a stacked draft too, their profile is similar

that said it's likelier he goes 10-15, i think he's in the same tier as Eiserman/Iginla/Helenius (i think Nygard/Connelly are in the mix too but they might go later for different reasons) but behind Demidov/Lindstrom/Catton

Anardil

Nov 25, 2012
West of Chalet BBQ
You are putting far too much stock into a tournament that has proven to be meaningless for countless NHLers who went on to have great careers despite poor showings at the U18's.

This is a team of randoms who are thrown together and often look individualistic and struggle to find chemistry/cohesion. Look for skating ability, puck skill and work ethic......just relax and enjoy the games, this is not where real scouting takes place.

Considering that he is one of the best forwards in this draft at coming off of the wall and winning puck battles I would say that his game is built for the pros.....this tournament has very little in common with the pro game.
Unfortunately, it's all that I can go by. I don't post with the intention of giving the impression of being a know-i-all. I am just giving my opinion. I was expecting more, that's all. I am by no means an expert.

I have been here long enough to know which posters opinions carry more weight. I can humbly say that I am not one of them.

Reactions: RandomTask26

Gabouch04

Jun 25, 2023
W

Wish you did scouting report of 5 players or so we may take with Jets pick. You do good work
I see 2 options with the pick of Winnipeg:

1- Trade the pick for a player like Necas
2- Trade up to select a player they love and who fills a specific need

For option 2, I see them going for a player with a very high floor since we already have the skills guys on the first 2 lines (Suzuki, Caufield, Dach, Slafkovsky, 2024 1st pick). These 5 players are more than enough as an offensive core to win a cup. I think they will try to go for complementary middle 6 players / role players. Here is the list of 5 players that I would target with Winnipeg's choice including 4 more role players:

1- Cole Beaudoin

Speed, grit & intangibles. If your 3rd trio is led by Beck & Beaudoin, these are players who will play on the penalty kill, who will be annoying for the opponent. I see a dynamic that each of these 2 players takes the faceoff on their strong side. He reminds me of Trent Frederic.

2- Sacha Boisvert

Probably a little further from the NHL given his USHL journey to the NCAA, but I don't think that's going to be a factor in the evaluation since we have a lot of depth up front that's going to need to be evaluated. Upside superior to other players on the list with his excellent shooting. Otherwise don't fear the physical game which is an integral part of his game. The rest of his game is average, but given his size/shooting/physical game, he's the type of player who will be targeted. Will probably be a winger at the next level, average hockey IQ.

3- Emil Hemming

Despite his excellent size, he is not a physical player. Above average skating and he has good offensive instincts, his best asset is his shot, one of the best in the draft. However, when we look at the Canadian's prospect bank, there are no skill players with good size to play on a 3rd line. I see him having this offensive role on a 3rd line with Beck and potentially Newhook.

4- Andrew Basha

Watching games and clips for Lindstrom, Basha was more visible and had the puck on his stick more often which is always a good sign. Excellent play maker, he's a poor man Catton. What will remain to be seen is to what extent he benefited from his excellent team to improve his statistics (McKenna, Lindstorm, Wiesblatt who are at 1.5 points per game). I think he could be a skills guy they like especially if they go for a size player with the 1st pick (Lindstrom, Sennecke), a bit like the selection of Mesar (skills) after that of Slafkovsky (size ).

5-Charlie Ellick

A bit like the role of Braden Schneider (physical player 5th defender, can go up as 4), I see them drafting this player because he fills a need: a defensive rock. Very good skating, but the puck is a hot potato for him. In the Canadiens' prospects as a right-handed defenseman, Barron/Mailloux have offensive roles, but no right-handed one of this type. A 3rd defensive pair composed of Xhekaj - Ellick in series with Sherwood's shots behind the opponents' backs makes me dream.

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003
Unfortunately, it's all that I can go by. I don't post with the intention of giving the impression of being a know-i-all. I am just giving my opinion. I was expecting more, that's all. I am by no means an expert.

I have been here long enough to know which posters opinions carry more weight. I can humbly say that I am not one of them.

You are entitled to your opinion just like everyone else. It is refreshing to at least hear some honesty and I respect you for that.

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
Let's hope Vegas wins tonight. If they do, we surely move 1 spot ahead!!!!! If they don't win, we have to hope Colorado wins against Dallas.

Then, let's hope Oilers win over Nucks...we then move 1 more spot ahead!!!!!

Then, let's hope Boston win, we will move 1 more spot ahead!!!!

And...that's it. Vegas (or Colorado), Oilers and Bruins wins will determine how many spot we move ahead.

Reactions: vokiel

A Loyal Dog

I love SlafCaulZuki (pronounced Slafkovsky). Woof!
Oct 20, 2016
Let's hope Vegas wins tonight. If they do, we surely move 1 spot ahead!!!!! If they don't win, we have to hope Colorado wins against Dallas.

Then, let's hope Oilers win over Nucks...we then move 1 more spot ahead!!!!!

Then, let's hope Boston win, we will move 1 more spot ahead!!!!

And...that's it. Vegas (or Colorado), Oilers and Bruins wins will determine how many spot we move ahead.
So, if Vegas, Oilers, and Boston (doubt it) win, we would be selecting 25th overall instead of 28th?

Lockin17

Jul 31, 2018
Mews seems legit with the WPG pick
He's the best D for Canada in the tournament

Gezz stop with Catton's size, he's fine

Reactions: SannywithoutCompy

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad