Votes: 53 20.3%
  • Zayne Parekh

Votes: 14 5.4%

• Total voters

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Columbus could go either forward or D. They need both. I think Anaheim goes D.

SJS: Celebrini
Chicago: Buium
Anaheim: Levshunov
Columbus: Demidov
Montreal:
I don't know if Chicago goes Buium. They have one prospect at RD, who's not doing so hot, seemingly and at least a few decent ones at LD. I think Levshunov is pretty much a shoe-in for Chicago and Demidov is a shoe-in for Anaheim, sadly. Anaheim has a couple of high value prospects at RD, the progression of Luneau, Warren and the fact Zellwegger can play both sides probably convinces them to go full-skill with Demidov.

Colombus could go anyone that team is in shambles IMO. I do think Eiserman has a clearer and shorter path to the NHL than the rest of the players though, which could play in the balance for them, with their "older" core.

Reactions: MarkovsKnee

Schooner Guy

Jun 23, 2006
Brian Wilde was the first one to call Habs picking Redenbacher in Feb’2023
I don't remember Wilde calling that but it would be the equivalent to the blind squirrel finding a nut or the broken clock being right twice a day.

Think Habs take Sennecke at 5?
I can't see him going that early but who knows? His surge reminds me a bit of Scheifele several years back when his second half resulted in him going from a forecasted late-1st to getting picked 7th overall. You could make an argument for Scheifele going #1 if that draft was held today. I wouldn't be surprised if Sennecke gets close to top 10 range.

if he goes up someone else is going down

Funny how Catton is in the top 5 in some mock list and others he's out of the top 10
You can say that about many players. Some are pegging Yakemchuk at 5 or 6 and others have him 15 or 16.

Sennecke is definitely the type of guys I'd be looking for with our second first rounder, i.e. a raw forward project on an upward development curve and with legit upside. Whoever we pick, I'd like us to take a chance on a homerun swing. Parascak, Letourneau, someone like that.
There is no way he'll be available with our second 1st round pick. He was at #19 in Bobby Mac's mid-year rankings/poll back in January before he took off. He's the talk of the OHL right now.

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
I love Sennecke but there's no argument to go for him at #5. If Lindstrom is there, he's just a bigger, faster, stronger and badder version of him.

If Iginla is there, he's just a more skilled version.

If you're not looking for size but F's, you can't justify him above Catton and Helenius.
If you're looking D's, you can't justify him above Buium and Levshunov.
We been burnt before late risers in their draft year. Kostitsyn and Kotkaniemi

Reactions: Mrb1p

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
Yeah we had two 3rd overall picks that I wish ended up anywhere near that good.

People need to temper their expectations heading into drafts. They all don’t work out and when they do, they very rarely magically turn into 100 point players.
Us shitting to bed on two 3rd overall picks doesn’t justify being happy with a 60 point forward at 5. Hell Christian Dvorak will likely be more impactful in his career than those two, should we be happy if we drafted a Christian Dvorak since he’s better than Galchenyuk and KK?

I’m not demanding for a 100 point player, but 60 point guys aren’t exactly something to celebrate at 5.

MasterMatt25

Nov 19, 2014
Montreal
Chicago and San Jose have both reportedly been interested in Levshunov. If either of them pick 2nd overall I'm wagering he's their choice

Reactions: Rozz

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
Us shitting to bed on two 3rd overall picks doesn’t justify being happy with a 60 point forward at 5. Hell Christian Dvorak will likely be more impactful in his career than those two, should we be happy if we drafted a Christian Dvorak since he’s better than Galchenyuk and KK?

I’m not demanding for a 100 point player, but 60 point guys aren’t exactly something to celebrate at 5.
The 1st overall pick is on another tier and if everything goes well in his development he’s probably an 80 point player. So I don’t know what exactly you expect from the 5th-7th pick in the draft.

Not sure why you bring up Dvorak, I’m not talking drafting Dvorak.

Reactions: Andrei79

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
The 1st overall pick is on another tier and if everything goes well in his development he’s probably an 80 point player. So I don’t know what exactly you expect from the 5th-7th pick in the draft.
I personally think he's got more upside than that, but yes I'm aware he's in his own tier.
Not sure why you bring up Dvorak, I’m not talking drafting Dvorak.
But you are talking about our recent 3rd overall picks for some reason. Yes we shit to bed on those picks, doesn't mean that drafting any upgrade over them (like Dvorak) is something to be happy about.

Anyways, I haven't really been following the draft so Iginla may very well have more upside than that, I'm just talking about strictly a 60 point forward. I think I'm leaning towards Helenius more though since I like him more and he plays a far more valuable position. Hell even taking the monster Russian dman who could top out as a #3 dman would be far more valuable than a 60 point forward in my opinion.

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
I don't remember Wilde calling that but it would be the equivalent to the blind squirrel finding a nut or the broken clock being right twice a day.
Wilde called it and stuck to his guns without any wavering despite being ridiculed

Schooner Guy

Jun 23, 2006
Chicago and San Jose have both reportedly been interested in Levshunov. If either of them pick 2nd overall I'm wagering he's their choice

Ya he's pretty much a lock at 2 IMO.
I hope he goes #2. I'm really not a fan. Great skillset, size and tools but no toolbox. He plays without structure or sense of urgency for defensive play. I can't see him being an impact player at the NHL level despite the high end tools.

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
But you are talking about our recent 3rd overall picks for some reason. Yes we shit to bed on those picks, doesn't mean that drafting any upgrade over them (like Dvorak) is something to be happy about.

Anyways, I haven't really been following the draft so Iginla may very well have more upside than that, I'm just talking about strictly a 60 point forward. I think I'm leaning towards Helenius more though since I like him more and he plays a far more valuable position. Hell even taking the monster Russian dman who could top out as a #3 dman would be far more valuable than a 60 point forward in my opinion.
Again, it’s an example of how nothing is a sure thing in drafts, we have two examples of higher selections turning into nothing. Tij has a far better chance to hit his potential than most of the players at the top end of this draft. He already plays like a pro.

You can like Helenius, I do too. But his upside is Suzuki. So a ~70 point centre. Why would you be happier with that over a ~65 point goal scoring winger, which is exactly what we need? Or Silayev who you say can be a #3? We already have like 5 second pairing LDs in the system.

Reactions: Andrei79

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
Again, it’s an example of how nothing is a sure thing in drafts, we have two examples of higher selections turning into nothing. Tij has a far better chance to hit his potential than most of the players at the top end of this draft. He already plays like a pro.
There is no sure thing, but of course you are expecting a better player than Galchenyuk/KK or else you might as well trade the pick. Again, us shitting to bed shouldn’t mean we should be happy with any upgrade over those two. If we had drafted Forsberg and Tkachuk instead your point wouldn’t be valid.
You can like Helenius, I do too. But his upside is Suzuki. So a ~70 point centre. Why would you be happier with that over a ~65 point goal scoring winger, which is exactly what we need? Or Silayev who you say can be a #3? We already have like 5 second pairing LDs in the system.
Well if Helenius is Suzuki like, than a 70-80 point center is vastly superior than a 60 point winger. Well Silayev has more upside than most of those guys and he brings something that is very rare and we don’t really have. Basically I think there are more upside guys and even if they don’t reach that ceiling, their floor would be a rarer player than a 60 point forward.

Again, I’m not saying Iginla won’t be better than a 60 point forward as I haven’t throughly followed this draft. A guy like Brady Tkachuk was considered to having low offensive upside here and he made us all look like idiots.

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
There is no sure thing, but of course you are expecting a better player than Galchenyuk/KK or else you might as well trade the pick. Again, us shitting to bed shouldn’t mean we should be happy with any upgrade over those two. If we had drafted Forsberg and Tkachuk instead your point wouldn’t be valid.

Well if Helenius is Suzuki like, than a 70-80 point center is vastly superior than a 60 point winger. Well Silayev has more upside than most of those guys and he brings something that is very rare and we don’t really have. Basically I think there are more upside guys and even if they don’t reach that ceiling, their floor would be a rarer player than a 60 point forward.

Again, I’m not saying Iginla won’t be better than a 60 point forward as I haven’t throughly followed this draft. A guy like Brady Tkachuk was considered to having low offensive upside here and he made us all look like idiots.
What ~35 goal scorer on an ELC + RFA years are you getting for our pick? No one is giving you a great, young cost-controlled asset for that pick.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad