HF Habs: 2024 NHL Draft Thread

Goldenhands

Slaf_The_Great
Sponsor
Aug 21, 2016
I mean, they seem to like Matheson well enough............

:sarcasm: (joking but not)

Lindstrom kind of scares me/reminds me a little bit of Galchenyuk's draft year. Really intrigued with the player, but don't want to pick another Dach-type who can't stay in the lineup.
The only similarity between Galchenyuk and Lindstrom would be the injury issues in their draft year. In term of tools, Lindstrom is a powerful skater and plays an heavy 200 ft game, he is a puck possession player in same the mold of a Slafkovsky, very soft hands and translatable tools. Galchenyuk was a below average skater and not really a 2 way player. I think Lindstrom has a higher hockey IQ too.

themilosh

Sponsor
Apr 27, 2015
Oakville, ON
Different sport but was reading this about the Eagles draft last night,

When people say there's no such as BPA, that's just bullshit. If I asked you rank the Habs top 5 prospects are you saying you couldn't do it? There is always going to be BPA, just that you can be wrong in what you thought was BPA for various number of reasons including under scouting, injuries, unexpected physical development, etc...

I think so confuse what BPA is today vs what it will become 10-15 years later when everyone can say this guy or that guy ended up being the best player.
While I do agree with drafting BPA when you are in the top 10, beyond that there has to be a fit within the organization and culture itself.

There are many "talented" players who rack up junior points luke no tomorrow, but unless they have a team first mentality that typically doesn't translate well to NHL..

Yes, getting a superstar makes a diff, but after that nothing beats a team worse than Ego. Not to be confused with grit and grind, but im happy drafting a player that fits the culture more than some Diva-esque hotdogger like Michkov in KHL. What a headache that would have been for our club - glad hugo passed.

Kudo Shinichi

Apr 20, 2012
Huh yeah I’m not a fan of Hughes openly repeating that they’re looking to trade down if a LD is the BPA. If I’m one of the team under the Habs hoping for Dickinson/Buium why wouldn’t I lowball you knowing that.

Why can’t he just play the poker face and keep repeating I’m picking the most talented player available like he did last year? Didn’t he get multiple serious offers from teams below him to secure #5?

If a team wants to move up and lowball Hughes, then Hughes is just not going to accept the trade. What's the issue? There's absolutely no need for the habs to move down. They can just pick a forward with their current pick. In fact, that would be better since the habs don't need the extra assets and there won't be the possibility of missing out on the forward they wanted by moving down.

Reactions: Beer and Chips

Kudo Shinichi

Apr 20, 2012
Not if the idea is to maximize the value of your assets. If someone said I’ll give you a lottery ticket for $5M or a free home worth $8M do you say no I already have a home I’ll take the 5?

If Buium isn’t NHL ready let him cook for another year see who the best D man is and trade the other for an elite forward next summer in a package.

If Hutson gets traded a year from now, then you're selling him at a much lower price than what he could be worth in a couple of years considering he's got elite potential and he probably won't play close to his potential next season.

If Hutson looks elite next season, then there's no way you're trading him, which then gives you the problem of having two similar players for 1 spot in the top 4.

If you decide to trade Buium, then you got the same problem as the one I mentioned about Hutson. You would be selling him at a much lower price than what he could be worth in a few years. If you trade Buium, you would want to get back similar value (a young forward drafted top 5) or better, but that's unlikely to happen since teams don't make that kind of assets available. When it happens, its almost always due to the player requesting a trade (Gauthier, Dubois, Laine).

So the only way drafting Buium maximizes the value of our assets is if Buium becomes a far better player than the forward we would have drafted. Enough of a difference that it makes up for selling Hutson at a lower price. I doubt the habs management would be confident in that.

Reactions: Fenris

Spearmint Rhino

Sep 17, 2013
If Hutson gets traded a year from now, then you're selling him at a much lower price than what he could be worth in a couple of years considering he's got elite potential and he probably won't play close to his potential next season.

If Hutson looks elite next season, then there's no way you're trading him, which then gives you the problem of having two similar players for 1 spot in the top 4.

If you decide to trade Buium, then you got the same problem as the one I mentioned about Hutson. You would be selling him at a much lower price than what he could be worth in a few years. If you trade Buium, you would want to get back similar value (a young forward drafted top 5) or better, but that's unlikely to happen since teams don't make that kind of assets available. When it happens, its almost always due to the player requesting a trade (Gauthier, Dubois, Laine).

So the only way drafting Buium maximizes the value of our assets is if Buium becomes a far better player than the forward we would have drafted. Enough of a difference that it makes up for selling Hutson at a lower price. I doubt the habs management would be confident in that.
Could be like the Byram situation in Colorado, arguably they didn’t need to draft him with the stacked D they had, few years later they flip him for a 2C or could’ve drafted Turcotte back then if they were fixated on a C

Kudo Shinichi

Apr 20, 2012
Could be like the Byram situation in Colorado, arguably they didn’t need to draft him with the stacked D they had, few years later they flip him for a 2C or could’ve drafted Turcotte back then if they were fixated on a C

The avs were nowhere near stacked at LD like the habs are. They were able to give Byram 20+ min of ice time per night, which is not something the habs will be able to do with both Hutson and Buium.

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
You are hoping that the 5th OA comes close to Svechnikov and his contract isn’t an overpay whatsoever.

Sounds like you think physical 6’2 70 point scorers are easily acquired.

Again, if thats the production from our 5th OA pick we should be thrilled. We aren’t giving up Bedard here.
Should get a 25-30 goal scorer with Our 5th pick. Take my chances anyway, be his floor could be homerun pick. Top 10-13 in this draft going to be good player.

Hughes would never do that trade. It's makes no sense. The 5th going to be on ELC contract, let's him career an extra star for 3 years. Svechnikov never hit 70 points once in his career. He's often injured. Habs would lose 6 years of service. No, no deal. A year from now I would though. Our pick be higher and Habs be contenders. Montreal Will Have extra caproom. But not now

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
Last year he said that if Reinbacher was a left shot they might have gone a different direction. Nothing has changed there this year especially since our LD have all developed this year.

He didn't say right shot D, so those guys remain in the convo.
If Levshunov is still on the board and top 3 forwards are gone wonder what Hughes would do?

RationalExpectations

May 12, 2019
Going to be interesting to see if Demidov, Lindstrom and Iggy are all gone by 6, do the Habs stand pat and draft a RHD, like Yakemchuck? Or do they trade down to 10, 11 or 12 and grab a Sennecke or Greentree and grab extra assets. How much do they love the other forwards like Catton, Eiserman and Helenius? Another year where there should be a good bit of drama around our pick.
I see it as very unlikely that only one of Dickinson Buium Levshunov Parekh Yakemchuk Silayev is gone before 6OA which would need to happen for your scenario to materialize.

RationalExpectations

May 12, 2019
Levshunov definitely is all physical/athletic tools and questionnable IQ, he made a couple of boneheads plays in all my viewings and he jumps in the play almost blindly, the fowards constantly needs to cover his ass. Cant see him as being the type of defenseman Habs will like. In fact, if the LHD arent in consideration, cant see them drafting a RHD either over a Helenius or Lindstrom.
I agree, for me the two best Dmen are LHD, i.e. Buium Dickinson. So if they are gone / not considered by mgmt, I d likely pick the BPA forward. That being said if they think Parekh is the next Makar, they may go for him.

It could be all bluff, last year when Hughes was asked about Leonard, he responded very enthusiastic and when was asked about Reinbacher, was neutral and had his poker face.

Could be that all GMs already know about our LHD depth and none really believe we will go there anyway.

One thing is for sure is that if we ended drafting Silayev, Buium or Dickenson, I will laugh a good deal, nobody will ever believe a single word of what he can tell before the drafts... :laugh:
I don t think he does that because it is a reputation game. Here it would be outright lying, this is a line he has not crossed yet.

RationalExpectations

May 12, 2019
I would love Hemming with WPG pick but I fear he will be gone by then. He had a poor season pointwise but he is not really used offensively. He is a bulldog and a physical presence and as mentioned in another post I think he will fit like a glove in the NHL. He is already not a perimeter player.

Spearmint Rhino

Sep 17, 2013
The avs were nowhere near stacked at LD like the habs are. They were able to give Byram 20+ min of ice time per night, which is not something the habs will be able to do with both Hutson and Buium.
Matheson is gone by the time anyone from this draft makes an impact and who knows that the others do and if they stay healthy. 110% agree I won’t be excited with a D pick - LHD to be specific but I threw my remote at the TV when they picked Price ahead of Bono’s BFF Brule

Omar

Oct 10, 2017
Nobody knows who anybody has at 5 and unless you are entirely new to the entry draft you would know better than to make such bold proclamation. I agree that 5 is certainly stretching the borders of his likely draft selection but to claim that "nobody" has him there without a shred of evidence to support that assertion is just a waste of space in this thread.
Okay hall monitor.

Of course some team can have him at 5 but out of every drafting service that releases rankings, I haven’t seen Iginla at 5 anywhere. Have you?

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003
Okay hall monitor.

Of course some team can have him at 5 but out of every drafting service that releases rankings, I haven’t seen Iginla at 5 anywhere. Have you?

Every one of those publications are compiled by failures and or frauds.......they mean as much to me as drawing Rorschach conclusions from used toilet paper.

vokiel

#MolsonIsntWine
Jan 31, 2007
Montréal
If a team wants to move up and lowball Hughes, then Hughes is just not going to accept the trade. What's the issue? There's absolutely no need for the habs to move down. They can just pick a forward with their current pick. In fact, that would be better since the habs don't need the extra assets and there won't be the possibility of missing out on the forward they wanted by moving down.
I agree, they could however upgrade some of their low picks, or move them to 2025 by trading down. Say they get 2nd overall, there are several teams wanting the best dman in the draft. We got the best one last draft, so it's a strategy that could work to their advantage. Specially if their guy is not rated that high.

MrNasty

Jun 13, 2007
Nova Scotia
For a year where defensmen were going to dominate the draft...I only have 6 d-men in my top 16 and only 8 in the top 28

Celebrini
Demidov
Levshunov
Lindstrom
Silayev
Catton
Buim
Parekh
Dickinson

Eiserman
Helenius
Iginla
Yakemchuk
Greentree
Brandsegg-Nygard
Connelly

That said, Kiviharju dropped because of his injury and could be an absolute steal if he drops to our Winnipeg pick. I expect he will move up in rankings if he continues to prove himself at the worlds.

Naslund

Jun 18, 2006
USA
We are in such a good draft position.
Win the lottery, we draft a superstar
Stay at 5 or even move back to 6, we very likely get one or Demidov (uber talented), Lindstrom (beast) or Iginla (workhorse). I think my pick between the three would be Iginla. I'm going back and forth with Lindstrom vs Iginla, but Iginla in Montreal strikes me as such a perfect fit. What a player.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
We are in such a good draft position.
Win the lottery, we draft a superstar
Stay at 5 or even move back to 6, we very likely get one or Demidov (uber talented), Lindstrom (beast) or Iginla (workhorse). I think my pick between the three would be Iginla. I'm going back and forth with Lindstrom vs Iginla, but Iginla in Montreal strikes me as such a perfect fit. What a player.
I’d be really happy with either Lidstrom or Demidov.

morhilane

Feb 28, 2021
That said, Kiviharju dropped because of his injury and could be an absolute steal if he drops to our Winnipeg pick. I expect he will move up in rankings if he continues to prove himself at the worlds.
Kiviharju didn't just drop only because of this injury. Plenty of kids this season had long term injuries and they haven't sank like Kiviharju has in the rankings.

Naslund

Jun 18, 2006
USA
I’d be really happy with either Lidstrom or Demidov.
Me too. However, I just have this feeling that Iginla will have that rare combination of talent, intelligence, physicality and drive that makes some players special, especially in important moments. I also think that we need a shooter (Iginla, Lindstrom) more than a play driver (Demidov).

Reactions: Gally11

dinodebino

Sep 27, 2017
No chance he survives past 3.

I believe draft will probably go

1. Celebrini SJ
2. Buium CHI
3. Levshunov ANA

I CAn just envision Chicago wanting that stud US born defenceman.

Next years a good top heavy forward draft and will go find their other forwards to round up what should eventually be a star studded top 6
You think we will be bottom 5 again next year?

dinodebino

Sep 27, 2017
Huh yeah I’m not a fan of Hughes openly repeating that they’re looking to trade down if a LD is the BPA. If I’m one of the team under the Habs hoping for Dickinson/Buium why wouldn’t I lowball you knowing that.

Why can’t he just play the poker face and keep repeating I’m picking the most talented player available like he did last year? Didn’t he get multiple serious offers from teams below him to secure #5?
Maybe he is (playing poker face).

This is probably the last time they wil rely on the draft to aim for early elite talent, because this is the last draft where they expect to land so low. Doesn’t take a genius to understand that the Calgary-Florida pick will be traded for immediate help next season. And they will be making a serious push for the playoffs in 2025-2026 to start the cycle - even Hughes mentioned that next year’s off season will be his most important (where him and Gorton will be judged).

So by saying he could trade down, he’s letting other teams overthink what they are going to do (remember last draft, where other teams wanted to get Reinbacher). He’s not going to trade down.

Habs’ scouting team have a pretty decent idea of their top 5 already. Their board is ready. The difference right now is that there is a lot of volatility with the top 3-5. So he’s keeping everybody on their toes by saying they could trade down. They won’t. There is nothing to gain with a trade down. They are not in getting more draft picks anymore (the Peg pick will be traded for immediate help, that’s a given - modus operandi), they are slowly starting to make moves to help the club immediately.

Only my opinion? Yes! But listen to HuGo and you will see that they don’t expect to draft top 5 next season. And they are making a push to start the cycle after next season. This is it, folks. Draft geeks need to enjoy this one. Next year, I can see them trade their firsts to bulk up their top 6.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad