HF Habs: 2024 NHL Draft Thread

Justin11

Jan 16, 2009
Montréal
I’m preparing myself for Helenius as our pick, least popular forward in our range on this board and most likely to cause a meltdown here
Haven’t watched much of the Euro draft eligible players this year. If he’s the pick, then I will have to put my faith that they know what they are doing.

Hopefully Habs win the lottery and everyone will unanimously be content with the pick.

Reactions: Spearmint Rhino

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Different sport but was reading this about the Eagles draft last night,

We all know cornerback was a position of need going into the draft. A desperate one. All you had to do was watch one James Bradberry rep from 2023 to understand that. But you never hear anybody from the Eagles talk in those terms because they’re so dedicated – and rightly so – to drafting the best player available so they’re not reaching for someone. When you draft for need, that’s when you draft the wrong guy.

When people say there's no such as BPA, that's just bullshit. If I asked you rank the Habs top 5 prospects are you saying you couldn't do it? There is always going to be BPA, just that you can be wrong in what you thought was BPA for various number of reasons including under scouting, injuries, unexpected physical development, etc...

I think so confuse what BPA is today vs what it will become 10-15 years later when everyone can say this guy or that guy ended up being the best player.

jaffy27

From Russia wth Pain
Nov 18, 2007
Orleans
It's notable that he specifically said LD. It may mean RD is still on the table. Maybe Levshunov if he's there?
No chance he survives past 3.

I believe draft will probably go

1. Celebrini SJ
2. Buium CHI
3. Levshunov ANA

I CAn just envision Chicago wanting that stud US born defenceman.

Next years a good top heavy forward draft and will go find their other forwards to round up what should eventually be a star studded top 6

Michoulicious

Dec 9, 2014
Different sport but was reading this about the Eagles draft last night,

When people say there's no such as BPA, that's just bullshit. If I asked you rank the Habs top 5 prospects are you saying you couldn't do it? There is always going to be BPA, just that you can be wrong in what you thought was BPA for various number of reasons including under scouting, injuries, unexpected physical development, etc...

I think so confuse what BPA is today vs what it will become 10-15 years later when everyone can say this guy or that guy ended up being the best player.
I agree with you.

Scouts put so much work into making a draft list, especially for those top 7 picks when you know you 100% will be able to draft one of them based on where the team finished.

I expect from my GM to follow that list to a T. If a LD is the highest ranked player on the list when you pick, you either draft the player or you trade down.

Hopefully Kent is blowing smoke right now or he knows there is no LD in his scouts top 7 because if not it is really stupid to be shouting in every interview they are not interested in a LD.

My guess is they have Iginla/Catton/Demidov/Levshunov/Catton/Helenius higher than any LD on their list so they are confident they will be able to pick one of them at their spot.

I personally think Buium and Dickinson will become studs, but hey it's just me.

Reactions: montreal

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto

I believe draft will probably go

1. Celebrini SJ
2. Buium CHI
3. Levshunov ANA

I CAn just envision Chicago wanting that stud US born defenceman.

Next years a good top heavy forward draft and will go find their other forwards to round up what should eventually be a star studded top 6.

Yeah, it's possible that's the top 3. Chicago could take Levshunov, too. If they do, we'll see what Anaheim does. Order can change due to draft lottery.

Reactions: jaffy27

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto
I agree with you.

Scouts put so much work into making a draft list, especially for those top 7 picks when you know you 100% will be able to draft one of them based on where the team finished.

I expect from my GM to follow that list to a T. If a LD is the highest ranked player on the list when you pick, you either draft the player or you trade down.

Hopefully Kent is blowing smoke right now or he knows there is no LD in his scouts top 7 because if not it is really stupid to be shouting in every interview they are not interested in a LD.

He's added that if a LD is there that is BPA available, they could trade down. Considering Ottawa is almost right behind us, I don't really feel good about a trade down.

I would just take the forward we want, and let Arizona/Utah take that LD.

• Haha

Michoulicious

Dec 9, 2014
He's added that if a LD is there that is BPA available, they could trade down. Considering Ottawa is almost right behind us, I don't really feel good about a trade down.

Because they have Sanderson and Chabot? Ottawa should be taking a LD if they feel it's BPA as well.

Schooner Guy

Jun 23, 2006

Don't you think Ottawa needs D much more than F? I'd be surprised if they pick a forward.

Schooner Guy

Jun 23, 2006
It's notable that he specifically said LD. It may mean RD is still on the table. Maybe Levshunov if he's there?

If a talent like Levshunov is there, I think you just have to take him.

Bobrov and Lapointe’s job is to pick the BPA. Hughes’ job is to figure out what to do with the surplus.
I know I'm in the minority here but I personally think Levshunov is a trainwreck defensively and in terms of IQ. I hope he does go before we pick. Everyone complains about Parekh's D but at least we've seen improvement in his play in his own end and by all accounts he's been working hard on his defensive play

jaffy27

From Russia wth Pain
Nov 18, 2007
Orleans
If a talent like Levshunov is there, I think you just have to take him.

Bobrov and Lapointe’s job is to pick the BPA. Hughes’ job is to figure out what to do with the surplus.
Agree….But if Demidov and/or Lindstrom is there, I’m picking one of the fwds

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto
Don't you think Ottawa needs D much more than F? I'd be surprised if they pick a forward.

As @le_sean said, they need everything. They're not particularly deep at forward. Giroux is aging. They have Tkachuk, Stutzle, Pinto & Greig at forward. Norris has shoulder injuries and had a really poor year. Batherson is more 2nd/3rd line tweener.

I definitely think they would take Iginla if he was there. Chabot is also injury prone, and he has 4 years left on his contract. If they take a LD like Dickinson, he's 2 years away. You don't not take Dickinson because of Chabot. You get to insulate Dickinson for a year then move on from Chabot.

Chychrun is probably gone to UFA.

I can see them taking a forward, and going for a D later. They have two 1sts, so draft a forward early then take one of Badinka, Emery, Elick,

Goldenhands

Slaf_The_Great
Sponsor
Aug 21, 2016
I know I'm in the minority here but I personally think Levshunov is a trainwreck defensively and in terms of IQ. I hope he does go before we pick. Everyone complains about Parekh's D but at least we've seen improvement in his play in his own end and by all accounts he's been working hard on his defensive play
Levshunov definitely is all physical/athletic tools and questionnable IQ, he made a couple of boneheads plays in all my viewings and he jumps in the play almost blindly, the fowards constantly needs to cover his ass. Cant see him as being the type of defenseman Habs will like. In fact, if the LHD arent in consideration, cant see them drafting a RHD either over a Helenius or Lindstrom.

Last edited:

Habs7631

Feb 28, 2017
Huh yeah I’m not a fan of Hughes openly repeating that they’re looking to trade down if a LD is the BPA. If I’m one of the team under the Habs hoping for Dickinson/Buium why wouldn’t I lowball you knowing that.

Why can’t he just play the poker face and keep repeating I’m picking the most talented player available like he did last year? Didn’t he get multiple serious offers from teams below him to secure #5?

sheed36

Jan 8, 2005
No Man's Land

TheBuriedHab

Jan 27, 2010
Huh yeah I’m not a fan of Hughes openly repeating that they’re looking to trade down if a LD is the BPA. If I’m one of the team under the Habs hoping for Dickinson/Buium why wouldn’t I lowball you knowing that.

Why can’t he just play the poker face and keep repeating I’m picking the most talented player available like he did last year? Didn’t he get multiple serious offers from teams below him to secure #5?
Hughes has used the media a lot to push whatever agenda he has and it has usually worked out, so I'm not too worried about it.

Last year they were offered some pretty good pieces for their 5th overall, like Cutter Gauthier or Nashville's pick + Askarov +. I think this year they are much more open to that type of deal.

There is a chance that the 2 BPA's on the habs, and other teams list by their pick will be either Buium or Silayev or both. Hughes is accounting for that potential scenario and letting people know if that happens, to call him and make an offer. The NHL teams probably have a pretty clear idea of how other teams are ranking these players now. It's just the online group that are usually 2-3 months behind on that.

Reactions: MarkovsKnee

Benstheman

Nov 20, 2014
I think Habs know Demidov won’t be there at 5-6-7. Their targets are Lindstrom and Helenius imo. If only one of them is there, they take him. If both are there, which I think will happen if we draft at 5, it will be interesting to see what they do.

Saundies

Fly On The Wall
Jun 8, 2012
NB, Canada
Levshunov definitely is all physical/athletic tools and questionnable IQ, he made a couple of boneheads plays in all my viewings and he jumps in the play almost blindly, the fowards constantly needs to cover his ass. Cant see him as being the type of defenseman Habs will like. In fact, if the LHD arent in consideration, cant see them drafting a RHD either over a Helenius or Lindstrom.
I mean, they seem to like Matheson well enough............

:sarcasm: (joking but not)

Lindstrom kind of scares me/reminds me a little bit of Galchenyuk's draft year. Really intrigued with the player, but don't want to pick another Dach-type who can't stay in the lineup.

Goldenhands

Slaf_The_Great
Sponsor
Aug 21, 2016

It could be all bluff, last year when Hughes was asked about Leonard, he responded very enthusiastic and when was asked about Reinbacher, was neutral and had his poker face.

Could be that all GMs already know about our LHD depth and none really believe we will go there anyway.

One thing is for sure is that if we ended drafting Silayev, Buium or Dickenson, I will laugh a good deal, nobody will ever believe a single word of what he can tell before the drafts... :laugh:

Schooner Guy

Jun 23, 2006
I'm glad the draft godfather of the Habs HF boards sees it similar to how I see it.;) I see amazing tools and size in Levshunov but zero structure to his game and I can't see it translating to impact play at the NHL level. I don't remember a dman with such glaring gaps in their draft year being ranked so high. I bet there will be some heated debates in NHL teams scouting meetings on whether the reward is worth the risk of using an early pick on him.

Schooner Guy

Jun 23, 2006
I mean, they seem to like Matheson well enough............

:sarcasm: (joking but not)

Lindstrom kind of scares me/reminds me a little bit of Galchenyuk's draft year. Really intrigued with the player, but don't want to pick another Dach-type who can't stay in the lineup.
Matheson has his miscues but Levshunov seems to be lost and doesn't seem to care one iota about his defense. There's no sense of urgency to get back after pinches. Matheson is a riverboat gambler but he at least puts in second efforts to get the puck back or get back in the play. Also Matheson's playing over 25 minutes and against teams top lines at the NHL level and didn't require an early 1st round pick to acquire him.

Reactions: Goldenhands

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad