HF Habs: 2024 NHL Draft Thread

HuGo Burner Acc

Mar 30, 2016
What are the attributes you put first for BPA ?

#1 = Hockey IQ
#2 = Size
#3 = Skating skills
#4 = Position
#5 = Shoot, passing skills
#6 = Grid
#7 = Attitude
#8 = Injurie prone
#9 = From where (Country, what teams he played for)
#10 = Intellect (i think you can have great hockey IQ and poor intellect)
1. Level of chadness
2. Selflessness
3. Hockey IQ
4. Skill
5. Size
6. Shooting
7. Leadership

Chomsky22

Aug 1, 2022
Nobody else is worried about Demidov’s weak and predictable shot as reported by EP?

That’s a lot of weaknesses for sick hands and playmaking.

schwang26

Mar 15, 2022
I wouldn’t be surprised at all to see them trade the 5th pick if they can get an asset who’s ready now. I’m not sure they want a guy at 5th who could be 4 years down the road before becoming a top 6 winger. I wouldn’t get too attached to anyone.

Reactions: Simarino

zzoo

Mar 9, 2004
Nobody else is worried about Demidov’s weak and predictable shot as reported by EP?

Demidov's shooting is that bad ? Anyone could confirm that ?

Leon Lucius Black

Nov 5, 2007
It's the McKenna show

Hughes looks like he is so fed up with Bobrov always putting his glasses like that.

1714070953944.png

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
I wouldn’t be surprised at all to see them trade the 5th pick if they can get an asset who’s ready now. I’m not sure they want a guy at 5th who could be 4 years down the road before becoming a top 6 winger. I wouldn’t get too attached to anyone.
No shot they trade that pick. Good shot they trade the Jets pick though.

You can get immediate help without giving up a Top 10 pick. And typically those players are like 3 seasons away at most from being in the NHL. Plus they are cost-controlled which is extremely valuable.

Yeah the Habs need help now, but they also need help in the system. When your best offensive prospects are Roy and Mesar, you are in trouble. No one is banging at the door to take a spot.

JeffreyLFC

Sep 29, 2017

No because the rest is elite. As long as you don't think he is your trigger man.

Last edited:
Reactions: Leto

Schooner Guy

Jun 23, 2006
Catton's a better skater, better shooter and far more willing shooter.
I would say their skating is very comparable at the same age. Yes Catton's a more willing shooter but we'll see if that continues at the pro level and of course there is no exact comparable for two players. I saw Granlund play in-person several times when he was 16. Their offensive instincts and playmaking are very similar but I might give the edge to Granlund at the same age as his vision and IQ were elite in his draft year. I also see them having many of the same limitations.

Granlund has had a solid career (he's still producing on a terrible Sharks team) and Catton will defy the odds if he has a better career than Granlund. That's the reality of a player who is going to get drafted in Catton's range. I see Catton on the wing in the NHL where I think he could be more productive and valuable to his team.

Playmaker09

Sep 11, 2008
I would say their skating is very comparable at the same age. Yes Catton's a more willing shooter but we'll see if that continues at the pro level and of course there is no exact comparable for two players. I saw Granlund play in-person several times when he was 16. Their offensive instincts and playmaking are very similar but I might give the edge to Granlund at the same age as his vision and IQ were elite in his draft year. I also see them having many of the same limitations.

Granlund has had a solid career (he's still producing on a terrible Sharks team) and Catton will defy the odds if he has a better career than Granlund. That's the reality of a player who is going to get drafted in Catton's range. I see Catton on the wing in the NHL where I think he could be more productive and valuable to his team.
I have no issues calling Granlund one of the most creative draft prospects in recent memory, he was an absolute wizard, but he definitley had question marks regarding his skating (similar to Cauflield). Catton's a clear notch or two ahead in the skating department.

I've said this before, but what amazes me most with Catton is his polish. Not only is he a 5-tool offensive player, but he pieces together those tools seamlessly and with such efficiency that is almost never seen in a draft eligible player. He is in perfect control at all times with the puck.

Does he have anything like Tim Stutzle and Jack Hughes' elite skating or Patrick Kane's GOAT hands that raises their ceilings to potential Art Ross winners? Probably not.

But I'll stick my neck out and state that I think in his prime, Catton's floor is 70 points. That might sound unrealistic, but I can't fathom how he is not at least that level of offensive player.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad