HF Habs: 2024 NHL Draft Thread

Rozz

Jun 23, 2012
Niagara Falls, Ont.
Pronman has Cattons skating as high end fwiw
because it is! his edges are great, his top end speed is fine too... he's not McDavid, but being the fastest skater alone, isn't a guarantee of anything. Paul Biron was fast af, and was a middle 6er at best. Catton is supremely skilled and a great skater with ok size. A bit on the small side, but is not really small enough to warrant being a no draft because of it. but, I assume the closer we get to the draft, the louder those claims may become.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Probably my only draft simulator run.

Montreal Canadiens
(5) Cayden Lindstrom, C
(27) Sacha Boisvert, C
(58) Miguel Marques, RW
(70) Stian Solberg, LD
(78) Carson Wetsch, RW
(102) Matvei Shuravin, LD
(130) Pavel Moysevich, G
(134) Logan Sawyer, LW
(166) Mac Swanson, C
(198) AJ Spellacy, C
(210) Luca Testa, C
(217) Hiroki Gojsic, RW
Now do it with us picking 7th. :laugh:

• Haha
Reactions: habsfan891

Michelangelo

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 17, 2014
Montreal
“Point is a very good skater. He has good top end speed, very good acceleration and a quick first step. His agility and edgework are both very good, and his balance and strength on the puck is surprising for a player his size. He skates with a low centre of gravity and is very tough to take off the puck when he has it, and he can be gritty and win board battles due to this good balance. He plays bigger than his size as a result, throwing hits and being gritty in all three zones.”
Ben Kerr, Last Word on Sports

There were differing reports on his skating. Catton is much weaker than Point was at his age. If you can't see that I don't really care.

"NHL Central scouting director Dan Marr likes the fire that Point brings to the ice. "What makes him stand out is that he's one of those guys who won't be denied," Marr said. "He has that competitive factor where he can go out there, make a difference and make it at a quick pace."

Again, things Catton isn't. Stop the bad comparisons.
I like how you used the words of a former HF poster to make your point lmao

Ozmodiar

Oct 18, 2017
“Point is a very good skater. He has good top end speed, very good acceleration and a quick first step. His agility and edgework are both very good, and his balance and strength on the puck is surprising for a player his size. He skates with a low centre of gravity and is very tough to take off the puck when he has it, and he can be gritty and win board battles due to this good balance. He plays bigger than his size as a result, throwing hits and being gritty in all three zones.”
Ben Kerr, Last Word on Sports

There were differing reports on his skating. Catton is much weaker than Point was at his age. If you can't see that I don't really care.

"NHL Central scouting director Dan Marr likes the fire that Point brings to the ice. "What makes him stand out is that he's one of those guys who won't be denied," Marr said. "He has that competitive factor where he can go out there, make a difference and make it at a quick pace."

Again, things Catton isn't. Stop the bad comparisons.
Is that Point’s draft year scouting report (Kerr)?
Hope not.
Average skater at the time.

Reactions: Rozz

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
Probably my only draft simulator run.

Montreal Canadiens
(5) Cayden Lindstrom, C
(27) Sacha Boisvert, C
(58) Miguel Marques, RW
(70) Stian Solberg, LD
(78) Carson Wetsch, RW
(102) Matvei Shuravin, LD
(130) Pavel Moysevich, G
(134) Logan Sawyer, LW
(166) Mac Swanson, C
(198) AJ Spellacy, C
(210) Luca Testa, C
(217) Hiroki Gojsic, RW
That's a good draft. Lindstrom, Boisvert, Marques.

Habs Icing

Formerly Onice
Jan 17, 2004
Montreal
Having seen very little junior hockey and knowing no one on this board gives an F about my picks, I thought I would try the draft simulator and post the results.

5) Cayden Lindstrom C
27) Michael Hage C
58) Heikki Ruohonen C
70) Aatos Koivu C
78) Spencer Gill RD
102) Alexandre Blais LW
130) Maximillian Curran C
134) Fyodor Avramov LW
198) Jesse Heslop LW
210) Ondrej Becher C

After the 2nd round, I went for size or physicality or playmaking or a combo.

How did I do? Did I set up the Habs to win the Cup in a couple of years? Did I create a dynasty?

Lockin17

Jul 31, 2018
Saliyev is known to be in the top 10 in this year draft.
Bogdan seems to be better then Saliyev , i know he's 3 years older but still.
Is Saliyev that good ? or Bogdan is a steal ?

Having seen very little junior hockey and knowing no one on this board gives an F about my picks, I thought I would try the draft simulator and post the results.

5) Cayden Lindstrom C
27) Michael Hage C
58) Heikki Ruohonen C
70) Aatos Koivu C
78) Spencer Gill RD
102) Alexandre Blais LW
130) Maximillian Curran C
134) Fyodor Avramov LW
198) Jesse Heslop LW
210) Ondrej Becher C

After the 2nd round, I went for size or physicality or playmaking or a combo.

How did I do? Did I set up the Habs to win the Cup in a couple of years? Did I create a dynasty?
Don't think we can land Hage with the WPG's pick ... i wish though

Reactions: SannywithoutCompy

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
11 seems crazy to me there's absolutely no way he drops out of the top 10

Yeah those sims are fun but there's always evaluations that are way off, and why I only run it once now because once you learn where the undervalued guys are, you can just get silly drafts.

Even the one I posted is silly, I'm getting a draft eligible defender who played a lot of minutes in the KHL this year in like round 6.

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
When is the lottery draft?
I wish they'd do the damn thing before the season starts and announce the results once the lottery teams are know.
There is always a break of at least a day before the post season starts.
Fans would be more confident in the results if the winning slots were selected long before knowing which team will occupy which spot.

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
Probably 11-16, but you have to ask yourself if you had the 13th pick why would you trade down into the mid 20s?

San Jose did it in 2022 because it was a bad draft class and they were in a complete tear down rebuild and had given their previous first for Karlsson so their cupboards were bare. I don't see a similar situation existing this year.

The teams in that range all want to push for playoffs (same as us) and want players who will impact their team ASAP or in San jose's case already have a lot of quantity (multiple firsts and 2nds in the coming years). So you'll have to offer a roster player like Roy or Xhekaj to get them to budge, which we shouldn't do.
Yeah it would be hard to get a team to pony up something from this draft for something equivalent in next years draft.
I suppose it could happen if the team sees their window being further out and a net gain.
Usually it will take a roster ready player plus to give up those picks.

Reactions: Rozz

Deebs

There's no easy way out
Feb 5, 2014
I wish they'd do the damn thing before the season starts and announce the results once the lottery teams are know.
There is always a break of at least a day before the post season starts.
Fans would be more confident in the results if the winning slots were selected long before knowing which team will occupy which spot.
Then the league loses a TV day....can't do it.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Saliyev is known to be in the top 10 in this year draft.
Bogdan seems to be better then Saliyev , i know he's 3 years older but still.
Is Saliyev that good ? or Bogdan is a steal ?

Don't think we can land Hage with the WPG's pick ... i wish though

Can't compare them as Konyushkov at 17/18 was in a league in Russia I don't even know of. At 19 he was in the VHL but by his age 20 season last year he was putting up very good numbers in the KHL for a blueliner so he's had a nice jump in a short time frame.

Saliyev is all about projection due to his elite size, mobility, skating. He doesn't use his size well yet but once he grows into that tall lanky frame he could be a force. The problem for me was I wasn't overly impressed with his offense or defense so for me there's no way I am taking him at 5th OA. If we traded down for some reason then for sure he would be on the radar.

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
To me I wouldn't pick either Buium or Parekh because of Hutson but if they feel that's they are BPA I would certainly pick Buium over Parekh, not a huge fan of his game. I tend to favor the NCAA guys cause you get a better idea of what you are getting, though for Buium playing on the top offense in the NCAA does make you wonder if they were the best in part due to his play or was he just on such a good team. I only saw 3 or so games of him with Denver though. I was very impressed with him.
It depends what would a package containing Hutson bring in. His value has certainly taken off since we drafted him.
There may be some team(s) salivating for a Hutson type who have no chance of getting Parehk and would be willing to deal.
We are in a very good position this draft with our assets on the back end and our draft capital.
I think Buium is the superior defender and will be the better Dman.
So yeah I'm not a big fan of redundant assets but I am a big fan of having the best possible combination of assets for our build.
At least we have a brain trust who will look at every possible angle.

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
It's so easy to get access to video evidence of players demonstrating x and y skills it always drives me crazy when people who clearly know nothing about a player comment on those skills.

There's a few person that voiced opinions so far off left field on

Iginlas physical, intensity and passing game.
Helenius's offensives skills.
Lindstroms puckhandling.
Cattons skating speed.
Demidovs skating.

God I'm turning into an estimated prophet
Spare us. :sarcasm:

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
It depends what would a package containing Hutson bring in. His value has certainly taken off since we drafted him.
There may be some team(s) salivating for a Hutson type who have no chance of getting Parehk and would be willing to deal.
We are in a very good position this draft with our assets on the back end and our draft capital.
I think Buium is the superior defender and will be the better Dman.
So yeah I'm not a big fan of redundant assets but I am a big fan of having the best possible combination of assets for our build.
At least we have a brain trust who will look at every possible angle.

I don't think you would get the return on Hutson vs what the risk of trading him as how bad would it look if he ends up in the Adam Fox mold. Buium could be better but for me I think Hutson is the better prospect, his offensive skills are more impressive for sure.

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
I don't think you would get the return on Hutson vs what the risk of trading him as how bad would it look if he ends up in the Adam Fox mold. Buium could be better but for me I think Hutson is the better prospect, his offensive skills are more impressive for sure.
It would definitely cause some consternation around here. :laugh:

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
Celebrini and Demidov should be 1 and 2 on the preference list but team building wise, getting one of Lindstrom or Iginla would be great for the top 6 especially come playoff time. Whats the old adage, some players get you to the playoffs and some get you through the playoffs
But you draft the players who can do both. MB missed that part for most of his tenure.

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
yeah i never get too invested in prospect evaluation like some. Its too unpredictable. Professional evaluation is a different for obvious reasons but theres no point in being pathologically absolutist-like relative to unknowns
So true.
Like am I to surmise Catton is further along his physical maturity curve than Iginla since he layed into him pretty good. :laugh:
That would make Iginla the better pick for down the road. :dunno:

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
How can you not name my boy Zayne Parekh???

giphy.gif
It will be interesting to see how Zayne performs tonight in Game 7.
Saginaw tends to go as he goes. If he doesn't show up they are probably cooked.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad