HF Habs: 2024 NHL Draft Thread

Schooner Guy

Jun 23, 2006
Was not a fan of the Slafkovsky pick (like many), but I am glad it is working out well.

It's ok also to just have an opinion, you know, not just praise the hockey ops all the time. I hate when people come here, then when they disagree with someone's opinion, they scroll through their post history and then call them out when they were "wrong", ignoring all the good calls also made over the years doing so.

Nobody is perfect, for sure, but yeah I loved Jiricek, Cooley, Wright and was BIG Mintyukov fan (had him at #6 OA). A also loved Luneau and wanted to draft him with our 2nd 1st round pick. If we draft Luneau in 2022 instead of Mesar and Beck, maybe we don't draft Reinbacher and draft Michkov or Leonard instead in 2023? Hughes himself said the fact he was a RD was a big factor since our pool is weak there. Luneau won CHL defenseman of the year in his D+1 and played in the NHL in his D+2 before getting a freak knee infection.

A few years ago, I had Caufield at #5 OA, Jarvis at #8... Wanted to trade up with our picks to get them. I was a huge Brock Faber fan as well and he was one of the players I wanted bad in 2020.

So yeah, I'll keep having my opinion. I still think drafting Helenius at 5-7 OA especially with the other players that will be available in that range would not be a good pick.

By the way, Mintyukov will become an incredible defenseman in Anaheim, I still LOVE that player.
Haha! Never looked up your history at all. One obtuse post with such conviction usually means a history of many. You were admittedly wrong on Slaf in such a big way and so many times but you're so lacking in self awareness that you don't see a world where you might be wrong on last year's picks (none of the ones mentioned are yet in the NHL). The fact that you had to post a hindsight summary of the few times you were right over a 5-year span tells it all and just made my stomach hurt from laughing so hard. :laugh:

Reactions: Kent Nilsson

Ezpz

No mad pls
Apr 16, 2013
Honestly just going through the top dmen list, it is far more likely to get a #1 dman outside of the top 5 than it is a star forward. There's a lot of top ten picks near the top of the scoring race. Only way you're getting a top scorer outside of there is by lucking out with a Russian or Pastrnak.

RationalExpectations

May 12, 2019
ouch, its going to be ugly, will likely lead the tournament in scoring, his draft stock will raise, I just hope he isnt out of reach if we pick 5-6 OV.
Have him at 5 and I am high on him but I don t see him raising higher. Good RHD LHD class + Celbrini + Demidov makes it unlikely

FrankMTL

Jan 6, 2005
So just like against Spokane, Prince George shut down Kelowna's better players. Kelowna was only able to score 8 goals in 5 games against them. Ravensbergen is a hell of a goalie prospect for the 2025 draft.

Iginla finished the series with 1 G 3 A in 5 games and finished the playoffs with 9 G 6A in 11 Games.

Hopefully he's not too banged up and he can join the U18's.

Michoulicious

Dec 9, 2014
Haha! Never looked up your history at all. One obtuse post with such conviction usually means a history of many. You were admittedly wrong on Slaf in such a big way and so many times but you're so lacking in self awareness that you don't see a world where you might be wrong on last year's picks (none of the ones mentioned are yet in the NHL). The fact that you had to post a hindsight summary of the few times you were right over a 5-year span tells it all and just made my stomach hurt from laughing so hard. :laugh:
Good that I made you laugh.

At least I'm not the type of fan that turns shirt and then defends every top 10 pick the team's management make even if I had the player out of my top 10 before the draft.

Lots of people here never heard of KK before u18s and then jumped on the wagon when McCagg did his usual hockey op's leak player hype a few weeks before the draft, then doubled down for years saying he was a stud even if it was obvious he was HUUGE reach at #3 when was at best a 2nd liner, likely a 3rd liner.

Like you say, some have no self awareness for sure.

Back to Helenius, it looks like he will go to u18s finally. Like always, people will overhype u18s (that he will no doubt dominate) and put him in their top 5 over injured guys like Lindstrom and Catton or players in the CHL playoffs like Dickinson and Parekh because u18s are always like that.

jaffy27

From Russia wth Pain
Nov 18, 2007
Orleans
Yeah I get what he's saying, but at the same time no two players are really "comparable". They're all individuals and what threshold of "better" a D needs to be to be picked is still subjective.

I hadn't seen that though, thanks.

It sort of feels like aiming for positional need last year has forced our hand to do so again. Not sure if that's justified.
You think?

We were just as much in need for forwards then RD…..pretty sure they made the Reinbacher selection based on the fact that they project him to be a top end defensemen and that trying to acquire this type of RHD in a trade would prove much more difficult then to acquire let’s say a Leonard

Quite sure Helenius be there at 5
Like 99.9%

Reactions: Canadienna

The Last Red

Jan 2, 2022
Why Anderson out of curiosity?
Size comparison? Looks like a lazy take, no offense. Anderson has no shot or hockey IQ, whereas Lindstrom apparently excels at both. Anderson was a 4th round pick, not 4th overall.

And for the record, I like Josh Anderson (not this year’s version, obviously). You need players like him to win in the playoffs.

Last edited:

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
He'd be a geat pick if we were around 9-10-11th pick
He'd be a great pick in the 4-10 range. There's only three players that have separated themselves, as I keep saying. Any of Catton, Iginla, Helenius, Lindstrom, Eiserman, Levshunov and Parekh are going to be going 4th and it's going to be a good pick. The margin between these players is non-existant.

Deebs

There's no easy way out
Feb 5, 2014
He'd be a great pick in the 4-10 range. There's only three players that have separated themselves, as I keep saying. Any of Catton, Iginla, Helenius, Lindstrom, Eiserman, Levshunov and Parekh are going to be going 4th and it's going to be a good pick. The margin between these players is non-existant.
As always, it depends who you ask. I think he'll be a good solid player, just not someone I'd use a 5th pick on. I'd like a little more of a difference maker.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
As always, it depends who you ask. I think he'll be a good solid player, just not someone I'd use a 5th pick on. I'd like a little more of a difference maker.
He has a similar package to the other forwards as a difference maker.hes not too far off Iginla in overall package and certainly better than Lindstrom if you remove the unicorn part.

Reactions: MarkovsKnee

The Last Red

Jan 2, 2022
Well then, I guess that settles that.

Deebs

There's no easy way out
Feb 5, 2014
He has a similar package to the other forwards as a difference maker.hes not too far off Iginla in overall package and certainly better than Lindstrom if you remove the unicorn part.
I don't see it that way but maybe.

Needs to fix upright skating and off the puck play. Sounds exactly like our 1st overall pick. Take him and let Nicholas/Marty do their work.
He's definitely has all the tools and maybe a little bit of molding and sanding could make a really nice finished product. I know there's folk that aren't his biggest fan, but I love this kid.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $246.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig
    Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $8,351.00