HF Habs: 2024 NHL Draft Thread

VirginiaMtlExpat

Second most interesting man in the world.
Aug 20, 2003
Norfolk, VA
www.odu.edu
He’s not fancy and he’s not the play driver. But he can finish. It’s very Bossy-ish, Brett Hull-ish. Get lost in traffic and shoot.

He’s not Steve Yzerman or Denis Savard and based on what I’ve seen he’s not going to make a lot of highlight type plays. But this is the kind of guy who’s going to score a lot of goals.

Good analogy. Is it worth drafting someone who just scores and does not much else? I'd say it is, if still true at the NHL level.

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
WHL has lost qualities but Bedard also could not play pro hockey unlike Demidov. Also to this point Demidov is playing to one of the richest russian club in the world and overflowed with talent both Michkov and Demidov are not even playing in their KHL main team, that's insane. To your point, Bedard was part of one the shittiest WHL club, that was impressive to do what he did with that team. That being said, I am not shitting on Demidov, just the situation surrounding him. The main issue I have with him is the lack of comparable to his peer because he has not featured against other nations in international competition for the past two years.

For instance, Bedard annahilated the doubt we could have (if anybody had doubt) when he dominated at the WJC.

Artamonov clearly doesn't look as good in the MHL playoffs as Demidov, and he played the whole regular season in KHL and even scored some points...

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Good analogy. Is it worth drafting someone who just scores and does not much else? I'd say it is, if still true at the NHL level.
I think it is too.

Where I take a step back is in not knowing how good a Lidstrom, Demidov or Canton might be. I have no doubt that some of these players are more dynamic and complete. I also have no illusions that Eiserman can be tuned into Guy Carbonneau.

Right now he appears to be a one trick pony. That one trick though happens to be the most valuable skill a player can have. The question is really if he can be coached for the rest.

Even if he can’t though, where would you draft Brett Hull if he were available in this draft? It’s a really interesting question.

Our organization hasn’t put enough value on goalscoring over the years and it’s cost us dearly. If you want to win you have to score. This guy does that and I think he’ll probably do it in the pros if he’s on the right team. But there’s the rub - could he do it on a bad club? Doesn’t seem like the kind of guy who can force the play. So any team that takes him has to have a solid support for him to develop properly. I think we can do that for him in Montreal.

If we don’t take him… cool. Lots of great players, some who will drive the play more than Eiserman will. I love the idea of Lidstrom in the lineup. I’ll rely on the scouts to know if he has the offensive prowess to draft that high.

Reactions: Habano and Gustave

JeffreyLFC

Sep 29, 2017
Artamonov clearly doesn't look as good in the MHL playoffs as Demidov, and he played the whole regular season in KHL and even scored some points...
Obviously not. Demidov is way more talented. SKA St. Petersburg is the ultimate MHL team.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Obviously not. Demidov is way more talented. SKA St. Petersburg is the ultimate MHL team.
In my limited viewings of Demidov he kinda looks like Lane Hutson to me. Great puck handling, deceptive, good vision for knowing where players are…

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003

It is worth drafting them if they can do it in the NHL playoffs otherwise they are a detriment to Championship calibre teams as their regular season exploits end up translating into a big salary that kills these teams in the playoffs.

I do not have an opinion on him one way or another in this regard at this point in time but there is real risk with this pick if you don't get it exactly right.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
I think the biggest reason to pass on Lindstrom (if available) is to not have to see his name written as Lidstrom for the next decade plus.

This is the most wide open draft in the top 10 I can ever remember starting at #2. Draft day will be loads of fun.
At two as in, after two ?

crosbyshow

Aug 25, 2017
Serious question:

If you have seen those 2 players at 17 years old...who is the best at that age;

Nick Suzuki or Berkly Catton ?

Me: Berkly Catton.

At the same age, no question. Suzuki was really
Slow back then.

If you do a redraft of the very stong 2017's draft...you would have Suzuki in your top 5.
He was drafted 13th overall.

Why: cause he was 5.11 and he was slow

Catton is as smart as Nick, a lot faster at the same age, has better zone entrance variations.

Again , I have Catton 3rd overall.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
I think the biggest reason to pass on Lindstrom (if available) is to not have to see his name written as Lidstrom for the next decade plus.

This is the most wide open draft in the top 10 I can ever remember starting at #2. Draft day will be loads of fun.
Yep. I really hope no matter who we draft people get behind him.

Because of the diversity of opinion I suspect it will really be difficult to wind up with BPA. High chance someone gets picked lower and overperforms in this kind of draft.

It doesn’t matter though. If we get a good player who can help us win a cup that’s what’s important. So if it’s Demodov or Catton or whoever I’ll be good with it.

But we’ve got to take a forward. Please no blueliners with that top pick.

The Last Red

Jan 2, 2022
Serious question:

Slow back then.

If you do a redraft of the very stong 2017's draft...you would have Suzuki in your top 5.

Catton is as smart as Nick, a lot faster at the same age, has better zone entrance variations.

Cool. Doesn’t mean that there aren’t several players in this year’s draft who will be better than Catton.

Michoulicious

Dec 9, 2014
I want Dickinson with Habs so much... But I know he's a LHD.

I just feel that if we don't win the lottery, he might be the best player on the board when we pick. Even at #2 I'd not mind if we picked him.

Such a full package. Already playing 30+ mins in one of the best programs in the CHL as a draft eligible. +56 (!!!). More than a point per game. Mobile. 6'3, 200+ lbs at 17.

Just as much as a guaranteed stud D as you can get. I'd not mind trading even a few of Guhle, Hutson, Engstrom, Xhekaj, Struble or Harris to find him a spot in 2 years. I think he'll be superior to all of them. You get your top 6 forward with that.

You could even reunite him with former 6'3 London teammate Mailloux at some point.

Left side of of Dickinson, Guhle and Xhekaj would the perfect mix of size, physicality and mobility. Maybe Hutson plays right? Or Guhle long term?

You sort out these things out then.

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003
Serious question:

Slow back then.

Suzuki was never "really slow" as his straight ahead speed was considered to be very average which was not great for a smaller player. Suzuki was physically stronger at the same age and was a better shooter who was projecting to be a top six center whereas Catton profiles as more of a question mark as an NHL center as many believe that he may end up on the wing.

I like Catton as well but I think calling him the definitively better prospect at the same age is a stretch to be sure and has little to do with him being a better NHLer than Savard because you simply can not assume that he will develop as well as Suzuki.

I find the question to be silly and any attempt to answer it is just too wildly subjective and without enough supporting evidence to even begin to honestly attempt to do so with any expectation of formulating a meaningful answer.

Sam de Mtl

Oct 11, 2021
I find the question to be silly and any attempt to answer it is just too wildly subjective and without enough supporting evidence to even begin to honestly attempt to do so with any expectation of formulating a meaningful answer.
I very much agree with this. One thing I have understood over time is that any attempt to twist the reflexion around on how to evaluate a player other than one vs the other available one, which is complex enough already, is futile, full of biases and leads to mistakes in evaluation.

Any idea of comparing one player to another to show that he will be better, as good, or similar to is wasteful of brain resources. Worse than that is creating NHL comparables and then using those comparables to rank the prospects.

Just look at the players. Analyze them how you can. Read up on them if you lack the time to watch them yourself, but stick with the factual reports as much as possible and avoid the hyperbole. Make up your mind based on this and keep an open mind to being wrong plenty of times because we really don't have nearly as much time as an actual scout to do it (and even they are wrong very often). That's really all there is to it. Any other twisting of the facts is just silly games.

Reactions: ElQuebecois

crosbyshow

Aug 25, 2017
Suzuki was never "really slow" as his straight ahead speed was considered to be very average which was not great for a smaller player. Suzuki was physically stronger at the same age and was a better shooter who was projecting to be a top six center whereas Catton profiles as more of a question mark as an NHL center as many believe that he may end up on the wing.

I like Catton as well but I think calling him the definitively better prospect at the same age is a stretch to be sure and has little to do with him being a better NHLer than Savard because you simply can not assume that he will develop as well as Suzuki.

It's not just Suzuki. Look at Zach Benson, Logan Stankoven and Seth Jarvis...

Benson played in the Whl like Catton last season and the other 2 just 2 to 3 years ago.

And guess what...Catton has a better17 years old sesson than those guys as well .

Suzuki, Benson, Stankoven, Jarvis are now or on the path soon to be Top 6 players in the NHL.

All those players were not drafted in the Top 10 of their draft.

Why? They are not 6.0 tall..

Some scouts repeat the same mistake again with Catton and they don't have him in their top 10.

Is Catton will be better than those 4 guys ? Hard to know but one thing is sure ..he has an IQ who match them easily and he was almost alone on his team this season

WentWughes

Apr 16, 2023
Vanacker is a future NHLer no doubt, likely a very good one. I hope he is a target for our late 1st pick.

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003
It's not just Suzuki. Look at Zach Benson, Logan Stankoven and Seth Jarvis...

Benson played in the Whl like Catton last season and the other 2 just 2 to 3 years ago.

And guess what...Catton has a better17 years old sesson than those guys as well .

Suzuki, Benson, Stankoven, Jarvis are now or on the path soon to be Top 6 players in the NHL.

All those players were not drafted in the Top 10 of their draft.

Why? They are not 6.0 tall..

Some scouts repeat the same mistake again with Catton and they don't have him in their top 10.

Is Catton will be better than those 4 guys ? Hard to know but one thing is sure ..he has an IQ who match them easily and he was almost alone on his team this season

You can also go through an even longer list of undersized CHL scorers who were busts.

Like I said, I am a fan of Catton's game but he is not without risk and to deny the risk is equally as blind as those who dismiss the upside of such players.

Reactions: Andrei79

BergevinBurner

Sep 27, 2019
I'm not sure if it's been mentioned here, but in Grant McCags's lastest mock draft he has Montreal taking Yakemchuk at 6th.

I know it's not impossible, but I think it's a stretch we'd use our first pick on another RHD when we just drafted Reinbacher and have Mailloux/Barron in the system.

crosbyshow

Aug 25, 2017
You can also go through an even longer list of undersized CHL scorers who were busts.

Like I said, I am a fan of Catton's game but he is not without risk and to deny the risk is equally as blind as those who dismiss the upside of such players.
What risk? I am curious.

He is 5.11 but what red flags you with him except his size

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad