NHL Entry Draft 2024 NHL Draft Talk

Sens in Process

Oct 1, 2012
If I am taking a RD that is offense 1st .. I am taking Parekh. I would chose a few ahead of him. Parekh is on another level with his offensive IQ and ability.
Some people are critical of his nonchalant look but its a style thing with him.

How have Chabot and Cychrun done with learning how to defend ... how many years have they been at it.
Buium is Chabot & Chychrun. That is who you are drafting.

Last edited:

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
I’m pretty sure I prefer (all things being equal) for the offense to come from the forwards rather than the d. Not all of course but heavily skewed that way.
So you focus on getting D that are VERY good at…..defending and moving the puck up to the forwards.
This keeps everyone on the ice engaged and avoids the ek type who might skate it all the way up and have 5 forwards coasting/watching.
So ideally we have very capable defenders who can move it into the neutral zone and let the offensively gifted forwards take it to the net.
Simple hockey.
Which is why I’m not as high on adding a smaller offensive dman over big, solid, reliable.

This takes into consideration we already have Sanderson who is absolutely incredible at just about everything.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
Buium is Chabot & Chychrun. That is who you are drafting.
This post is confusing

If I am taking a RD that is offense 1st .. I am taking Parekh. I would chose a few ahead of him. Parekh is on another level with his offensive IQ and ability.
Some people are critical of his nonchalant look but its a style thing with him.

How have Chabot and Cychrun done with learning how to defend ... how many years have they been at it.
Parekh can’t skate like the Hughes and makars of the world tho
No matter what every d man in this draft will need to learn how to defend at the NHL level

Alf Silfversson

Jun 8, 2011
I have no problem taking Buium, but........ I have watched several of his regular season games. I don't think projects well in corner battles or in front of the net. These things are masked playing on a big ice surface. While having very good edges, his top end speed is not overwhelming. I don't think he is explosive or a high-end athlete. Mckeens: Buium can be a somewhat polarizing prospect, as he is knocked for lacking “premium athletic tools” compared to other top-of-the-class defensemen such as Anton Silayev, Artyom Levshunov, or Sam Dickinson. There’s some truth to that, as Buium isn’t as physically imposing as those names nor does he have the same kind of upside in terms of mobility.2024 NHL SCOUTING REPORT (VIDEO + GRADES) - Zeev Buium,D, U.S. NTDP, USA

Like I said, his defense is being massively overrated. We are looking at a Chabot or Chychrun type player. He is not anywhere near Sanderson.

Watch Yakemuch vs. Lidstrom and Basha: He gets the better of Lidstrom every singe time. His top-end speed is impressive and he is constantly creating offense on an offensively challenged team. It is early in the season, so you get the occasional blunder. He cleaned it up as the season went on. But damn, this guy could be absolutely special.

I'm pretty sure the University of Denver (and most but not all NCAA barns) currently use 200x85 sized ice sheets. The same as the NHL.

Reactions: JaredCowen4Norris

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
My post is not confusing. Buium is essentially comparable to a Chabot or Chychrun type of player on the defensive side of the puck.
Not sure how? Buium went up against the best players and lines in the NCAA and didn’t concede a goal. Maybe chychrun and chabot were the same in junior but they’re quite defensively deficient at this level.

There is very rarely a d man in the Nhl draft without some defensive questions marks.

Wallet Inspector

Jan 19, 2013
Buium may be Adam Fox 2.0. As far as D-men go I was a Parekh advocate, but honestly I might be starting to prefer Buium.

HoweHullOrr

Oct 3, 2013
I never realized how lucky Dallas got drafting Wyatt Johnston. They traded down from 15 to 23 and then selected him.
Dallas is an interesting model. They’ve had some success over the years (2018-19, 2019-20, 2022-23) and have some good vets. Yet, they were still able to add to their team with good draft picks that were able to make big contributions quickly after being drafted. I think you have to give Jim Nill a lot of credit along with the organization (scouts, etc.). Hope we are able to do the same thing. I don’t think a small market team can afford to abandon drafting as the main tool in the tool box.

Reactions: thinkwild

Oscar The Grouch

Oct 16, 2021
Buium may be Adam Fox 2.0. As far as D-men go I was a Parekh advocate, but honestly I might be starting to prefer Buium.

It's a good stylistic comparison. Not saying he'll hit Fox's level, but the way they play the position is similar.

Neither has a loaded skill tool-box, so therefore, they don't get people excited. Their offensive and defensive games rely on deception and high hockey IQ, in that, they constantly create and make the right plays at both ends of the rink. Guys like this tilt the ice considerably when they're on it 22+ min/game.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
It's a good stylistic comparison. Not saying he'll hit Fox's level, but the way they play the position is similar.

Neither has a loaded skill tool-box, so therefore, they don't get people excited. Their offensive and defensive games rely on deception and high hockey IQ, in that, they constantly create and make the right plays at both ends of the rink. Guys like this tilt the ice considerably when they're on it 22+ min/game.
Read a very interesting article once in Adam fox pre draft.

Paraphrase because I may not remember all the details. But they said his division was not forecheck heavy. So a lot of scouts didn’t see him have to evade forechecks and therefore questioned if he could do it. Big reason why he dropped.

Reactions: Oscar The Grouch

Sens in Process

Oct 1, 2012
I love HFboards. We pick the guy in the general mock draft that regressed offensively and couldn't hit an outlets pass in the MHL. He will probably drop in the draft.

Oh by the way, Buium, apparently, is a shade above 6 feet above six feet and not the 6'2 as commonly listed.

The Yak has elite physical tools and about 20 or 30 pounds to add to that frame. He is slightly older but less physically matured than Buium - look at our boy Tkachuk who used to Bambi, but now pulls moves like Jagger at the Worlds. I saw Yak in a full gallup do a 360 spin and control the puck. It was beautiful.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
I love HFboards. We pick the guy in the general mock draft that regressed offensively and couldn't hit an outlets pass in the MHL. He will probably drop in the draft.

Oh by the way, Buium, apparently, is a shade above 6 feet above six feet and not the 6'2 as commonly listed.

The Yak has elite physical tools and about 20 or 30 pounds to add to that frame. He is slightly older but less physically matured than Buium - look at our boy Tkachuk who used to Bambi, but now pulls moves like Jagger at the Worlds. I saw Yak in a full gallup do a 360 spin and control the puck. It was beautiful.
Those NHL scouts! 10 head scouts ranking the guy who can't make an outlet pass 3rd and ranking Yakemchuk 12th!

NHL scouts rankings are far from infallible, but acting as though it's strange fans chose the consensous top ranked D instead of the consensous 6th ranked D is very strange.

Last edited:
Reactions: Sens of Anarchy

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008

Silayev played strong D against men in the second best league in the world all season, but Yakemchuk once pulled off a 360 spin with the puck so HF Sens and most NHL scouts are idiots.

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
Read a very interesting article once in Adam fox pre draft.

Paraphrase because I may not remember all the details. But they said his division was not forecheck heavy. So a lot of scouts didn’t see him have to evade forechecks and therefore questioned if he could do it. Big reason why he dropped.

I'm not really buying that.

He didn't play in some obscure league or against bad competition - he played for the USNTDP on the same team as Keller and they played against the same USHL/college teams that they have faced for awhile now.

The scouts just got it wrong with him. He made the right decision with the puck almost every single time but they thought he wouldn't be effective because of his below average size and skating.

I do wonder if Fox going to Harvard may have played a role in slipping to the 3rd round as well. Always have to wonder if the prospects going to Ivy league schools are a flight risk.

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
Not sure how? Buium went up against the best players and lines in the NCAA and didn’t concede a goal. Maybe chychrun and chabot were the same in junior but they’re quite defensively deficient at this level.

There is very rarely a d man in the Nhl draft without some defensive questions marks.

I don't think not being on the ice for a goal against during the Frozen Four is as big of a deal as people are making it out to be.

Denver as a whole was an incredible defensive team and their goalie was lights out. They only gave up 3 goals in 4 games as a team.

Reactions: DrEasy

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
I'm not really buying that.

He didn't play in some obscure league or against bad competition - he played for the USNTDP on the same team as Keller and they played against the same USHL/college teams that they have faced for awhile now.

The scouts just got it wrong with him. He made the right decision with the puck almost every single time but they thought he wouldn't be effective because of his below average size and skating.

I do wonder if Fox going to Harvard may have played a role in slipping to the 3rd round as well. Always have to wonder if the prospects going to Ivy league schools are a flight risk.
Well why would fox and Keller be scouted the same lol. They play opposite positions.

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
Well why would fox and Keller be scouted the same lol. They play opposite positions.

They played on the same team against the same competition, which is largely the same competition that every USNTDP player plays against, so the idea that scouts didn't get a chance to see him evade a forecheck seems crazy to me.

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
Would anyone be willing to entertain a trade down with San Jose to 14?

One guy on the trade board proposed 14 + 33 + 42 to move up to our spot so the Sharks can draft one of the top D.

I think 14 would be the lowest I would be willing to trade back to, but I don't see a massive difference in quality between the players I expect would be available at that spot and the players expected to be there at 7.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
Repeat after me. Do not worry about what hand they shoot at the top of the draft. Pick the best player available. (Silayev accepted but he is a unicorn)

More RDs that with size and defensive ability are available later in the draft. Guys like Emery and Elick and Roberts already know how to defend , both are excellent skaters and are not in the running at the top of the draft because they don't have the offense . That works for me.
If we can draft one of Emery or Ellick with Boston's pick we would significantly improve our D prospects. Add one of Silayev, Buium, Levshunov, Dickinson at #7 and we would be in great shape for the future at D.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
@bert you want a big d corps but you also want buium. How do you recconcile those two things? I don’t know if buium is going to be clearing the front of the net exactly

bicboi64

Aug 13, 2020
Brampton
If we can draft one of Emery or Ellick with Boston's pick we would significantly improve our D prospects. Add one of Silayev, Buium, Levshunov, Dickinson at #7 and we would be in great shape for the future at D.
We can set ourselves up so nicely for the future with this draft. By the time the D we draft in this draft are ready to step in and contribute, that ought to be when we're ready to do some damage after having made the playoffs a few times

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
Would anyone be willing to entertain a trade down with San Jose to 14?

One guy on the trade board proposed 14 + 33 + 42 to move up to our spot so the Sharks can draft one of the top D.

I think 14 would be the lowest I would be willing to trade back to, but I don't see a massive difference in quality between the players I expect would be available at that spot and the players expected to be there at 7.
Not me. We need "quality" draft picks, not "quantity".

If we could get the #8 to #10 plus another 1st round pick, I might agree to it but it would depend on which players would be available at #7, #8 and #9.

@bert you want a big d corps but you also want buium. How do you recconcile those two things? I don’t know if buium is going to be clearing the front of the net exactly
Buium brings more skill than size; it's a tradeoff.

I still want a bigger D core made for playoff hockey, but that D core must be mobile, not pylons.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad