NHL Entry Draft 2024 NHL Draft Talk

PlayOn

Jun 22, 2010
Does Ottawa need another skilled left shot D? How much skill do they need on their left side? Is Buium going to pass Sanderson? My guess is no, is he going to pass Chabot? My guess is no for at least the next few yrs, maybe before Chabot's contract runs out & maybe not, we don't know. Is Buium going to be the 3rd pairing LD & push out Kleven? Do we want three offensive D on the left side? I won't argue that Yakemchuk is better than Buium or Parekh offensively, but I will argue that IMO he is a better fit for what the Sens need on the right side. Most of Ottawa's offence is going to depend on Sanderson & Chabot for the next few yrs anyway especially if they trade Chychrun, do they need another average size left shot D or do they need a bigger meaner defenceman on D? Which one will make the team as a whole better?
Tampa won two cups with Hedman, McDonagh and Sergachev on the left side. Colorado rolled with Toews, Girard and Byram on the left side. Do they win a cup if Byram isn’t there to step up when Girard gets hurt a couple years ago? Now they flipped Byram for the 2C they needed.

Chabot will be 30 and one year away from UFA by the time this player is ready. I don’t think there is an actual logjam here.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Edmonton and Toronto, both had Two rebuilds. They overlapped. In both cases, it was the second rebuild that worked.

Vancouver had 2 rebuilds, but with a more blended development. And so, people did not recognize it.

I believe the Sens must do a second rebuild, overlapping with the first. Similar to Vancouver.

And so, BPA applies. The 2024 draft class, will be year 1 of rebuild 2. The 2024 and 2025 will merge with the 2021 draft (Osta and Bouch, if he recovers), the 2020 draft (all 5 players) and be the true FYOUS team.

The 2024 and 2025 drafts have to be BPA drafts and not Need drafts. Ironically enough, the 2021, 2022 and 2023 should have been the Need drafts.
Does this mean that you are in favour of them taking a left shot offensive D because he is ranked as the BPA even though at the moment they have 5 of them?

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Tampa won two cups with Hedman, McDonagh and Sergachev on the left side. Colorado rolled with Toews, Girard and Byram on the left side. Do they win a cup if Byram isn’t there to step up when Girard gets hurt a couple years ago? Now they flipped Byram for the 2C they needed.

Chabot will be 30 and one year away from UFA by the time this player is ready. I don’t think there is an actual logjam here.
Hedman & Segachev are both very big guys, we have Sanderson & Chabot who are good offensive players, but not considered big & tough. Behind them is Chychrun & Brannstrom on the left side again not considered big & tough. Are we anything like Tampa or Colorado? Chabot is 27 yrs old with 4 yrs left on his contract. Am I to understand that you want them to roll with Sanderson, Chabot & Chychrun again on the left side with Brannstrom? Most think Chychrun will get moved & maybe Brannstrom. Both those teams also have two of the best offensive players in the NHL on their rosters. Yakemchuk could be more like a Sergachev.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Does this mean that you are in favour of them taking a left shot offensive D because he is ranked as the BPA even though at the moment they have 5 of them?

To me it looks like 2 are going to be moved. Down to 3. When the drafted player is ready to take top 4 minutes you move a player to make room. It does not mean you continue to "need" RD because you plan to fill that need lower in the Draft or by trade etc.
Look at these guys as being at least 2 years away from cracking the NHL lineup. If you take Buium you are getting more than what you have in your lineup.(Sanderson excepted) but even in that case you are getting a player that more than likely QBs your #1 PP. Chabot will not be here forever and if you have a D stud like Silayev coming here in 3 years or a two way skates like the wind 2 way D ... what's the worry? The log jam you see won't be there long when the player you are drafting this year is ready. Its about making the team better at all positions. Right now we have 3 D imo that we care to keep around over the next 5 years. Sanderson, Zub and Kleven... While the kids we draft this year hone their craft and become ready other changes will be made,

Reactions: DrEasy

PlayOn

Jun 22, 2010
Hedman & Segachev are both very big guys, we have Sanderson & Chabot who are good offensive players, but not considered big & tough. Behind them is Chychrun & Brannstrom on the left side again not considered big & tough. Are we anything like Tampa or Colorado? Chabot is 27 yrs old with 4 yrs left on his contract. Am I to understand that you want them to roll with Sanderson, Chabot & Chychrun again on the left side with Brannstrom? Most think Chychrun will get moved & maybe Brannstrom. Both those teams also have two of the best offensive players in the NHL on their rosters. Yakemchuk could be more like a Sergachev.
Sanderson is better defensively than he is offensively so I don’t know why we’d classify him as an offensive guy, for starters. He is far better in his own zone than Sergachev will ever be. Chychrun and Brannstrom are both gone this summer, they have no relevance to anything.

Yes we suck. I would hope that in 3-4 years when this player is ready we don’t suck anymore. But my point is more or less that we can have three great LD, they will get their minutes.

You are assuming we are getting a top pairing RD. But if the player can’t play well defensively, they are not going to be on our top pair. I would rather have a LD that can play important minutes than a RD you have to shelter in the playoffs because they make too many mistakes.

Beech

What A Wonderful Day
Nov 25, 2020
others have posted on here. so my apologies for the repeat.

1) Chyc is as good as gone. Between now and the trade deadline. One LHD man gone
2) Chabot will probably finish out his contract, but I doubt they will resign him. So, by 2026/2027, Chabot is either gone, or in his last year
3) Sanderson is, by 2026/2027, a rock solid #1
4) Klevin is a rock solid, bruiser 3rd pair Dman, ideal for law and order and for reliable minute crunching.

that leaves an LHD spot to be filled. Draft one this year (If all works out and he is available at 7) and in 3 years time, he slides right in....again, assuming all goes well..

The sad reality is, we will need an #2 LHD, a #2 or #3 Center, a #2 LW, a #2 or #3 RW in 2025/2026 and beyond. And who would have thought this, 2 years ago!!!!

Rebuild 2, must start this year. Norris and his shoulder, the crazy contracts, the failure (or possible failure) of Boucher. Chab and his wrist/injury concerns. Formenton, and some other minor issues. Have all brought us to a second rebuild.

and yes an RHD is needed, but not forced. Not some guy ranked 12- 22 and you take him at 7.

Complicated world of team building!

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
others have posted on here. so my apologies for the repeat.

1) Chyc is as good as gone. Between now and the trade deadline. One LHD man gone
2) Chabot will probably finish out his contract, but I doubt they will resign him. So, by 2026/2027, Chabot is either gone, or in his last year
3) Sanderson is, by 2026/2027, a rock solid #1
4) Klevin is a rock solid, bruiser 3rd pair Dman, ideal for law and order and for reliable minute crunching.

that leaves an LHD spot to be filled. Draft one this year (If all works out and he is available at 7) and in 3 years time, he slides right in....again, assuming all goes well..

The sad reality is, we will need an #2 LHD, a #2 or #3 Center, a #2 LW, a #2 or #3 RW in 2025/2026 and beyond. And who would have thought this, 2 years ago!!!!

Rebuild 2, must start this year. Norris and his shoulder, the crazy contracts, the failure (or possible failure) of Boucher. Chab and his wrist/injury concerns. Formenton, and some other minor issues. Have all brought us to a second rebuild.

and yes an RHD is needed, but not forced. Not some guy ranked 12- 22 and you take him at 7.

Complicated world of team building!
Not sure about your math, Sanderson, Chabot & Kleven are all left shot D they take up all three spots on LD. On the right side they have Zub, JBD & Hamonic, Chychrun played there at times this yr with Chabot, Brannstrom also played there a little & is also a left shot. MY guess is that Kleven will replace Brannstrom for next season. And this yr's draft after number one seems to be a toss up & it's anyone's guess as to who will go where. Just because Yakemchuk is ranked a little later doesn't mean he doesn't go in the top 10, it's happened before & will again. Right shot D with size are considered very valuable in the NHL & he has a mean streak with some offence also considered valuable. In the 2018 draft Evan Bouchard RD was taken 10th OA & Noah Dobson RD was taken 12th OA two pretty decent defencemen today.

Alf Silfversson

Jun 8, 2011

But we need a RD NOW and Yakemchuk, while a good prospect, will not fill that void. He will get destroyed if he try to plug him into the NHL in a top 4 role next year. We need to pick up a player like Roy, Pesce or some other top 4 D for now and the near future.

So let's say we pick Yak or Buium. In 3 years we will have two LD penciled in (chychrun is gone) and 2 RD (because we need one who is ready). They're both going to have to earn their way on to the team.

The fact is that when either player is ready to make an impact (3-5 years) we have no real idea what our needs will be.

If they pick Yakemchuk I hope it's because they think he's the best prospect and not because they see a roster lacking in RD and think that an 18 year old Carter Yakemchuk is the answer.

Not sure about your math, Sanderson, Chabot & Kleven are all left shot D they take up all three spots on LD. On the right side they have Zub, JBD & Hamonic, Chychrun played there at times this yr with Chabot, Brannstrom also played there a little & is also a left shot. MY guess is that Kleven will replace Brannstrom for next season. And this yr's draft after number one seems to be a toss up & it's anyone's guess as to who will go where. Just because Yakemchuk is ranked a little later doesn't mean he doesn't go in the top 10, it's happened before & will again. Right shot D with size are considered very valuable in the NHL & he has a mean streak with some offence also considered valuable. In the 2018 draft Evan Bouchard RD was taken 10th OA & Noah Dobson RD was taken 12th OA two pretty decent defencemen today.

Sorry mate, but if any team is changing who they draft because Tyler Kleven is part of their depth chart they've completely lost the plot.

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
Does Ottawa need another skilled left shot D? How much skill do they need on their left side? Is Buium going to pass Sanderson? My guess is no, is he going to pass Chabot? My guess is no for at least the next few yrs, maybe before Chabot's contract runs out & maybe not, we don't know. Is Buium going to be the 3rd pairing LD & push out Kleven? Do we want three offensive D on the left side? I won't argue that Yakemchuk is better than Buium or Parekh offensively, but I will argue that IMO he is a better fit for what the Sens need on the right side. Most of Ottawa's offence is going to depend on Sanderson & Chabot for the next few yrs anyway especially if they trade Chychrun, do they need another average size left shot D or do they need a bigger meaner defenceman on D? Which one will make the team as a whole better?

Don't draft for need. That's how you end up passing up Price for Brule or drafting Kotkaniemi over Tkachuk.

If we picked Buium/Silayev/Dickinson and he develops into a great defenseman playing the left-side, we can always trade Chabot for a forward (or for assets that can then be later traded for a different position of need).

If this were like the NFL draft and we were picking players that needed to be immediately slotted into the lineup, it'd be a different story, but even a guy like Buium who is one of the more NHL ready players in this draft will probably need another year or two at the NCAA/AHL level before stepping in, so changes wouldn't be needed to be made immediately.

Tragedy

Jan 10, 2013
Regina, SK
But we need a RD NOW and Yakemchuk, while a good prospect, will not fill that void. He will get destroyed if he try to plug him into the NHL in a top 4 role next year. We need to pick up a player like Roy, Pesce or some other top 4 D for now and the near future.

So let's say we pick Yak or Buium. In 3 years we will have two LD penciled in (chychrun is gone) and 2 RD (because we need one who is ready). They're both going to have to earn their way on to the team.

The fact is that when either player is ready to make an impact (3-5 years) we have no real idea what our needs will be.

If they pick Yakemchuk I hope it's because they think he's the best prospect and not because they see a roster lacking in RD and think that an 18 year old Carter Yakemchuk is the answer.

Sorry mate, but if any team is changing who they draft because Tyler Kleven is part of their depth chart they've completely lost the plot.
But BIG. Big is good. Big is strong. Big is big

Beech

What A Wonderful Day
Nov 25, 2020
I don't believe that Brannstrom, Chychrun and Chabot will be here by 2027/2028.

In fact, The schedule for departures will be:
2024 to 2025 (TDL) Brannstrom and Chyc
2025-2026 (TDL) Chabot.. In extreme case Chabot is gone at 2027 TDL

So 2024/2025 lineup is probably
Sand-Zub
Chab- Chyc (Maybe)...Possibly JBD.. Possibly FA/trade RHD)
Klevin - JBD (possibly FA/trade RHD)

2025/2026
Sand- ZUB !!!! (Maybe)... Possible FA RHD or trade RHD)
Chab - JBD or FA/Trade RHD
Klevin - JBD (FA or Trade RHD)

2026/2027
Sand - Some RHD (FA, trade, 2024-2025 draft)
possible 2024 draft pick - Some RHD, ZUB, JBD
Klevin - JBD, ZUB, some RHD

It takes 3 years to get a Dman up and running. Draft one in 2024 to have him by 2026/2027.

So, come spot 7.. In my opinion a BPA.. D man or forward.. If A Dman and RHD, fantastic.. If a Dman but LHD, pull the trigger.

I will give you this as latitude. If an RHD is at 8-10.. Yea, close enough.. Not past that.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004

I disagree. Yakemchuk has a late birthday so he is somewhat ahead of the curve & yes they need a RD now & will likely go out & get one in free agency. Having another potential RD in the org to eventually replace whoever they get in free agency makes sense & it's not like Yakemchuk doesn't have any offence to his game he was second in scoring for the Hitmen. I know he's not the kind of player most on this board prefer but from all accounts it's more of what they need than another PMD. Who knows who the Sens think is their BPA & who it is they target.

This is a very young team, most of these guys could still be on the team in 3 to 5 yrs unless they completely implode. I have no idea what your last sentence means, they have five LD defencemen right now, Chychrun is probably gone & IMO Kleven replaces Brannstrom, maybe not we'll see. Buium IMO is more of an offensive defenceman a PMD which is what they have with Chabot & Sanderson & Brannstrom. How long before Buium is better than Brannstrom? I think Yakemchuk passes JBD/Hamonic & maybe even Zub before Buium passes Sanderson & Chabot.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
I disagree. Yakemchuk has a late birthday so he is somewhat ahead of the curve & yes they need a RD now & will likely go out & get one in free agency. Having another potential RD in the org to eventually replace whoever they get in free agency makes sense & it's not like Yakemchuk doesn't have any offence to his game he was second in scoring for the Hitmen. I know he's not the kind of player most on this board prefer but from all accounts it's more of what they need than another PMD. Who knows who the Sens think is their BPA & who it is they target.

This is a very young team, most of these guys could still be on the team in 3 to 5 yrs unless they completely implode. I have no idea what your last sentence means, they have five LD defencemen right now, Chychrun is probably gone & IMO Kleven replaces Brannstrom, maybe not we'll see. Buium IMO is more of an offensive defenceman a PMD which is what they have with Chabot & Sanderson & Brannstrom. How long before Buium is better than Brannstrom? I think Yakemchuk passes JBD/Hamonic & maybe even Zub before Buium passes Sanderson & Chabot.
TEAM Mock Draft poll is up... Have at er!

Alf Silfversson

Jun 8, 2011

I've watched Yakemchuk play for the Hitmen several times this year. I think whoever gets him is likely to get a good NHL player. I'm just not convinced he'll be the best choice for us at 7, and him being a RD doesn't change that.

Beech

What A Wonderful Day
Nov 25, 2020
But BIG. Big is good. Big is strong. Big is big
This years Norris nominees and possible winners

most like winner: Quinn Hughes.. Probably 5:11, 175 lb
Nominees: Cale Makar. probably 5-11", 175 lbs (Maybe 6')
Nominee; Josi.. listed at 6' 1"..may be a tad less

Big is good, It cannot be a blind chase.

Brian Murray killed the Sens in 2010-2014, He chased Dman size something awful. The team had 6'3"-6'-4" guys.. and stunk

Tragedy

Jan 10, 2013
Regina, SK
I have heard he's big and tough. I like big tough RD who are big.

This years Norris nominees and possible winners

most like winner: Quinn Hughes.. Probably 5:11, 175 lb
Nominees: Cale Makar. probably 5-11", 175 lbs (Maybe 6')
Nominee; Josi.. listed at 6' 1"..may be a tad less

Big is good, It cannot be a blind chase.

Brian Murray killed the Sens in 2010-2014, He chased Dman size something awful. The team had 6'3"-6'-4" guys.. and stunk

Yes, all well and good. But have you considered BIG?

Sorry, I'm just taking the piss at Aragorn lol

Reactions: Duncstar and Beech

ijif

Dec 20, 2018
I think some of you guys and girls underestimate how big our defenders (top 4) are because none of them are overly aggressive players. They are listed at or above 6’2” and 200 pounds. They are not monsters (say, 6’4” + 220), but they are not small players.

Carter Yakemchuk is 6’3” and 194 pounds based on his WHL profile page. He isn’t really bigger than the players we have. Even if he puts on 10 pounds, he would still be more or less the same size.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Don't draft for need. That's how you end up passing up Price for Brule or drafting Kotkaniemi over Tkachuk.

If we picked Buium/Silayev/Dickinson and he develops into a great defenseman playing the left-side, we can always trade Chabot for a forward (or for assets that can then be later traded for a different position of need).

If this were like the NFL draft and we were picking players that needed to be immediately slotted into the lineup, it'd be a different story, but even a guy like Buium who is one of the more NHL ready players in this draft will probably need another year or two at the NCAA/AHL level before stepping in, so changes wouldn't be needed to be made immediately.
Tell me, who is the BPA at 7th in this draft. Do you think everyone on this board will agree with you? Probably not. Do you think every team has the same player at 7th that the Sens have? Again probably not. So who is to say who exactly is the BPA especially in this draft when the concensus seems to be all over the map. The BPA will be who the scouts on this team have ranked 7th OA depending on who is still available & given they are the same scouts as Dorion had & Staois has not put in his own scouting staff in place, it's anyone's guess as to who is 7th OA.

We won't know who the BPA is at #7 until a few yrs down the road after they have been in the league for a few yrs to determine BPA. All three of those left hand shots could turn into exceptional players, no arguement there, so could Yakemchuk. You could trade Chabot down the road but most playoff teams add they don't subtract at the trade deadline especially a player like Chabot, if they do it's likely they are not playoff bound & they have bigger problems. It won't be the first time we hear a commentator say that a particular team should pick for need at a particular position, it's not uncommon. It will be interesting to watch who falls & who rises on draft day & how this new GM does given the pressure on this org to be better than the last regime.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
I think some of you guys and girls underestimate how big our defenders (top 4) are because none of them are overly aggressive players. They are listed at or above 6’2” and 200 pounds. They are not monsters (say, 6’4” + 220), but they are not small players.

Carter Yakemchuk is 6’3” and 194 pounds based on his WHL profile page. He isn’t really bigger than the players we have. Even if he puts on 10 pounds, he would still be more or less the same size.
Yes they have good size, but none of them would be considered tough to play against or put any fear into anyone really, it's an element the Sens lack on the blueline as a number of analysts are saying. Yakemchuk has 120 minutes of penalties along with his 71 pts & was second in scoring for an offensively challenged Calgary Hitmen team, he has had several fights & hits to hurt & I assume is somewhat feared.

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
But is that what Ott needs given they already have Sanderson & Chabot, it seems like more of the same? Sanderson is going to be the top pairing LD for most of the next 8 yrs if not all of it & Chabot is only 27 yrs old with 4 yrs left on his contract. Is Buium going to challenge Kleven to play 3rd pairing LD? Is that where the Sens want him to play? I would think if they draft him they are trading Chabot at some point & their right side gets forgotten again, more of the same.
We will have Zub and whoever we sign this offseason on RD, just take the best player available and in 2026/27 see if they can make the team in the bottom pairing.

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
My draft prediction:

1. celebrini (SJ) - obvious

2. Lindstrom (Chi) - Hawks complete their Censter rebuild and take the big man to play against Draisatl, McKinnon, Petterseen etc

3. Levshunov (Ana) go with the big RD a who can do it all and cement their top 4

4. Demidov - PP specialist who can score on Fantillis wing

5. Tij Iginla - Iginla fought in the SC finals versus Lecavalier and St Louis still had hot dreams about it

6. Zeev Buuim (Utah) - Go with US dev player

7. Berkley Catton - Sens take a LW/C who adds speed and grit.

Agent Zub

Jan 2, 2015
Watching these other teams in the playoffs it's sorta clear that our top end needs massive help.

We need to go for the potential highest impact player. not about size, defensive play, position just flat out the player who has the best potential to change the landscape of the team.

What we have right now is not enough.

Sens in Process

Oct 1, 2012
I am not trying to predict who Ottawa takes. They could take Yakemchuk. I like you am just offering my opinion rightly or wrongly.
If the RD is ranked higher you take him.. If he isn't as good you probably don't rank him higher.

I could easily see them taking 2 defensemen. There are quality RD that will be available and need becomes something later in the draft vs at the top of the draft. I would have zero issues if they took 3 D with their 1st 3 picks.. if a the 3rd pick has a D they want available over the next forward .. I would do that.
I have no problem taking Buium, but........ I have watched several of his regular season games. I don't think projects well in corner battles or in front of the net. These things are masked playing on a big ice surface. While having very good edges, his top end speed is not overwhelming. I don't think he is explosive or a high-end athlete. Mckeens: Buium can be a somewhat polarizing prospect, as he is knocked for lacking “premium athletic tools” compared to other top-of-the-class defensemen such as Anton Silayev, Artyom Levshunov, or Sam Dickinson. There’s some truth to that, as Buium isn’t as physically imposing as those names nor does he have the same kind of upside in terms of mobility.2024 NHL SCOUTING REPORT (VIDEO + GRADES) - Zeev Buium,D, U.S. NTDP, USA

Like I said, his defense is being massively overrated. We are looking at a Chabot or Chychrun type player. He is not anywhere near Sanderson.

Watch Yakemuch vs. Lidstrom and Basha: He gets the better of Lidstrom every singe time. His top-end speed is impressive and he is constantly creating offense on an offensively challenged team. It is early in the season, so you get the occasional blunder. He cleaned it up as the season went on. But damn, this guy could be absolutely special.

Reactions: aragorn

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad