NHL Entry Draft 2024 NHL Draft Talk

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
After Mann was let go, and after the departure of some pro scouts, I haven't heard of any major scouting hires (mostly internal promotions), so I imagine (and worry) that the drafting philosophy will essentially remain the same. This is why I think that they might go once again with bloodlines, shy away again from Russians, and go with Iginla.

Parekh is also a possibility, but I think the scouts have also a bit of a size fetish.

Happy to be proven wrong.

I'm hopeful that the new management group has identified that our scouting staff's obsession with picking players based almost purely on tools and toughness since the 2020 draft has not been working out and talk about putting additional emphasis on hockey IQ isn't just lip service.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Silayev is intriguing - Chara vibes I suppose.

Are there any issues getting a player out of Russia, KHL contract, or anything else that could be a concern?

I can see a few HF Senator fans being elated over this pick. LOL.
Yes, I see some discussions here and on twitter and I have an impression there are couple of things people are missing:

1. It is very unusual for a player his age to be a full-time KHLer.
2. It is extremely unusual for a defenseman to be a full-time KHLer at that age (as more maturity is demanded from them).
3. For a defenseman his age to look more than solid in the KHL is actually amazing.
4. Some extra trust from Larionov helps, but what really matters is that Silayev didn't disappoint (compare that to other talented first year draft-eligible guys like Shuravin or Shchuchinov, who also were given some trust, but weren't doing that great to say the least).
5. Silayev is a big and physically gifted kid, but he still is just a kid, who turned 18 less than a month ago.

@Caser is the resident Russian Prospect guru who follows the KHL and MHL. If you have some questions on Silayev he would be as qualified as anyone to answer them.
@RUSProspects on twitter.

Silayev is signed with Torpedo Nizhny Novgorod of the Kontinental Hockey League (KHL) until the 2025–26 season.

Silayev is a large specimen. He already defends well in the KHL ( at 17 most of the year) .. He is a really good skater with a lot of range. He likes it physical and showed some offense early in the year.

To me if we want someone who can defend and has size its between Silayev 1st and Dickinson 2nd. I'd be happy with either one. Buium not as big already plays a very good 2 way game and is a high IQ player... A lot of people will take him 1st or 2nd in this group but I think we have that guy in Sanderson and we can add ability and size , just not as complete as Buium yet. For the Sens I would much rather take a D man that already has a clue how to defend and can munch minutes in a defense first role. I like all these guys more than the field at the top of the draft for these reasons.

просто выбери большого парня из России

Last edited:

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Idk about that. Not taking a guy top 10 who needs to “learn” how to defend. Probably a pass for me. Still have to study more.
If I am taking a RD that is offense 1st .. I am taking Parekh. I would chose a few ahead of him. Parekh is on another level with his offensive IQ and ability.
Some people are critical of his nonchalant look but its a style thing with him.
Defence can be learned & having him in a good system with a good partner will help, they are 18 yrs old, most of these kids are going to have some warts.

How have Chabot and Cychrun done with learning how to defend ... how many years have they been at it.

Reactions: Cosmix and DrEasy

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
If I am taking a RD that is offense 1st .. I am taking Parekh. I would chose a few ahead of him. Parekh is on another level with his offensive IQ and ability.
Some people are critical of his nonchalant look but its a style thing with him.

How have Chabot and Cychrun done with learning how to defend ... how many years have they been at it.
I would ask you the same thing for Parekh at his size how he will do & would he be any different than Brannstrom? At least with Yakemchuk he is already big & mean & plays an agressive game.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
I would ask you the same thing for Parekh at his size how he will do & would he be any different than Brannstrom? At least with Yakemchuk he is already big & mean & plays an agressive game.
I know Yakemchuk is big, Provides offense and has a mean streak... I want someone that can defend now. Not hard to understand.
I am not picking Parekh for that reason. I am not picking Yakemchuk for that reason and I wouldn't pick Levshunov for that reason.
I would take Silayev, Dickinson or Buium.

Sens in Process

Oct 1, 2012
If Yakemchuk cannot defend, what about Parehk and Buium?

I think he projects as a much better defender than both. Not to mention, many analysts have said there has been considerable growth in his defending this season. He is moving the needle to become a solid defensive guy. His size, mobility and physicality give him the tools to be a quality defender.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013

I think he projects as a much better defender than both. Not to mention, many analysts have said there has been considerable growth in his defending this season. He is moving the needle to become a solid defensive guy. His size, mobility and physicality give him the tools to be a quality defender.
Buium can defend now .. No goals allowed when he was on the ice through the NCAA tournament. He munched minutes that entire tournament and was arguably DU's best player as a freshman. He is more like Sanderson who doesn't have Yakemchuk's size or mean streak but defends very well and did before he was drafted,

Alf Silfversson

Jun 8, 2011
I know Yakemchuk is big, Provides offense and has a mean streak... I want someone that can defend now. Not hard to understand.
I am not picking Parekh for that reason. I am not picking Yakemchuk for that reason and I wouldn't pick Levshunov for that reason.

This is not what I want from this draft per se but if that's your goal I agree with your reasoning here.

Having tools is great but they need to produce tangible results. Being big doesn't make you good at D. Being fast doesn't make you a good scorer. If the so-called tools aren't producing the results you want (eg. defense in your case) then you've gotta look elsewhere.

FWIW I know not much about Silayev other than his size but the more I read, the more I am starting to become a believer. Buium is the guy I really want though, if we're picking D.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
But they are all left shots? Buium would be behind Chabot for a few yrs & Sanderson for even longer I would think & his skill set is top pairing D. Dickinson & Silayev would have to beat out Kleven who is older & IMO likely further along, I don't see either of them passing Sanderson long term or Chabot short term depending how long he stays in Ott. They would be 3rd pairing D at best until either they beat out Chabot/Sanderson or would want to move to an org where they have a better opportunity to move up. I will be surprised if they take a left shot D.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
But they are all left shots? Buium would be behind Chabot for a few yrs & Sanderson for even longer I would think & his skill set is top pairing D. Dickinson & Silayev would have to beat out Kleven who is older & IMO likely further along, I don't see either of them passing Sanderson long term or Chabot short term depending how long he stays in Ott. They would be 3rd pairing D at best until either they beat out Chabot/Sanderson or would want to move to an org where they have a better opportunity to move up. I will be surprised if they take a left shot D.
Repeat after me. Do not worry about what hand they shoot at the top of the draft. Pick the best player available. (Silayev accepted but he is a unicorn)

More RDs that with size and defensive ability are available later in the draft. Guys like Emery and Elick and Roberts already know how to defend , both are excellent skaters and are not in the running at the top of the draft because they don't have the offense . That works for me.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Buium can defend now .. No goals allowed when he was on the ice through the NCAA tournament. He munched minutes that entire tournament and was arguably DU's best player as a freshman. He is more like Sanderson who doesn't have Yakemchuk's size or mean streak but defends very well and did before he was drafted,
But is that what Ott needs given they already have Sanderson & Chabot, it seems like more of the same? Sanderson is going to be the top pairing LD for most of the next 8 yrs if not all of it & Chabot is only 27 yrs old with 4 yrs left on his contract. Is Buium going to challenge Kleven to play 3rd pairing LD? Is that where the Sens want him to play? I would think if they draft him they are trading Chabot at some point & their right side gets forgotten again, more of the same.

Sens in Process

Oct 1, 2012
I think you are massively overrating his defense. He is not Sanderson, not even close. I was pro Sanderson in his draft year. I liked him over Drysdale. I argued endlessly that the gap between their offensive game was minimal(maybe even was Sanderson better), but gap between their defensive game was enormous. I would have no problem taking Buium at 7, but his defensive game needs significant upgrading.

Reactions: aragorn

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
I think you are massively overrating his defense. He is not Sanderson, not even close. I was pro Sanderson in his draft year. I liked him over Drysdale. I argued endlessly that the gap between their offensive game was minimal(maybe even was Sanderson better), but gap between their defensive game was enormous. I would have no problem taking Buium at 7, but his defensive game needs significant upgrading.
What I meant was he uses his IQ and skating to defend vs his big body... like Sanderson that way. I agree he isn't Sanderson defensively at this point but he doesn't get identified as being poor defensively.

But is that what Ott needs given they already have Sanderson & Chabot, it seems like more of the same? Sanderson is going to be the top pairing LD for most of the next 8 yrs if not all of it & Chabot is only 27 yrs old with 4 yrs left on his contract. Is Buium going to challenge Kleven to play 3rd pairing LD? Is that where the Sens want him to play? I would think if they draft him they are trading Chabot at some point & their right side gets forgotten again, more of the same.
Need is a key word there. Do you draft for need in the top 10... I think its a bad strategy

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Repeat after me. Do not worry about what hand they shoot at the top of the draft. Pick the best player available.

More RDs that with size and defensive ability are available later in the draft. Guys like Emery and Elick and Roberts already know how to defend , both are excellent skaters and are not in the running at the top of the draft because they don't have the offense . That works for me.
Yea, I can't do that because I give right shot D much more value & because of that I wouldn't be surprised if Yakemchuk is taken in the top 10 especially if someone before Calgary takes Iginla I suspect they will take Yakemchuk. And Ott can get one of those three with their second 1st rd pick or their 2nd rd pick, however, none of those guys are as offensively gifted as Yakemchuk. However, if Lindstrom falls to them I could see them picking him & then going with one of the RD with their nxt pick. However, if they are looking for a potential top pairing RD they only have two choices with their first pick. Does this mean you think they take two defencemen with their two 1st rd picks?

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
He's listed at 6'2 on UoD's website, and 6'2 on the American's World Junior roster.

He's likely in between both, ~6'1.
No waaaay he’s 6’2 lol.

Unless a team fell in love with him. I think he will be there at 7. I think all 3 of the top forwards will be gone.

And then we have to have team pass on levchunovs size and skill set and Right handedness? Unlikely.

Parekhs offensive ability? Eeeehhh.

Silayevs freakish tools? Ehh.

Dickinson size?

It’s actually quite tough.

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008

Buium is a much better defender than either. Parekh isn't a great defender but neither is Yakemchuk.

The difference is that Parekh has incredible potential as an offensive blueliner while Yakemchuk does not.

I'm skeptical about how much Yakemchuk's offense will translate to the NHL level. He's not going to be able to dangle NHL defenders like he has at the junior level and he'll have more trouble getting his shots through because his skating is not great.

He's like a freight train, he's fine once he gets going but his first couple steps and edgework are not pretty. For defensemen quickness is significantly more important to be able to open shooting lanes and exploit openings than top-end speed.

He's also not the greatest playmaker. Low assist totals in every year he's played in junior. He has a good breakout pass but isn't nearly as good at setting up teammates once in the offensive zone as Buium or Parekh. High goal totals relative to assists is actually a pretty big red flag in projecting defensemen to the next level. Usually is a decent indicator of a lack of hockey IQ, as defensemen should be getting far more assists than goals given their role. I don't think IQ is a huge weakness for Yakemchuk, but it isn't a major strength like with Buium or even Parekh.

The big pro with Yakemchuk compared to the alternatives is his mean streak. He's legitimately a tough bruising D and that is something you can't teach. May help him carve out a good career, maybe as a poor man's Phaneuf or a McNabb-type D.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
What I meant was he uses his IQ and skating to defend vs his big body... like Sanderson that way. I agree he isn't Sanderson defensively at this point but he doesn't get identified as being poor defensively.

Need is a key word there. Do you draft for need in the top 10... I think its a bad strategy
I've had this arguement almost every draft, when you have plenty of need throughout the team/org than taking the BPA is the right strategy. However, if you have only a couple of positions that need to be upgraded than filling a need IMO can also be the right move & I've heard that in almost every draft too. Ottawa has a young team & some of these guys are going to be here for a while & getting a top pairing RD which they need who has most of the attributes that they need seems like the right move to me given his age he could be on the roster sooner rather than later. I guess we'll see how they go.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Yea, I can't do that because I give right shot D much more value & because of that I wouldn't be surprised if Yakemchuk is taken in the top 10 especially if someone before Calgary takes Iginla I suspect they will take Yakemchuk. And Ott can get one of those three with their second 1st rd pick or their 2nd rd pick, however, none of those guys are as offensively gifted as Yakemchuk. However, if Lindstrom falls to them I could see them picking him & then going with one of the RD with their nxt pick. However, if they are looking for a potential top pairing RD they only have two choices with their first pick. Does this mean you think they take two defencemen with their two 1st rd picks?
I am not trying to predict who Ottawa takes. They could take Yakemchuk. I like you am just offering my opinion rightly or wrongly.
If the RD is ranked higher you take him.. If he isn't as good you probably don't rank him higher.

I could easily see them taking 2 defensemen. There are quality RD that will be available and need becomes something later in the draft vs at the top of the draft. I would have zero issues if they took 3 D with their 1st 3 picks.. if a the 3rd pick has a D they want available over the next forward .. I would do that.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
I wouldn’t mind taking two defenseman.

Reactions: bicboi64

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
I've had this arguement almost every draft, when you have plenty of need throughout the team/org than taking the BPA is the right strategy. However, if you have only a couple of positions that need to be upgraded than filling a need IMO can also be the right move & I've heard that in almost every draft too. Ottawa has a young team & some of these guys are going to be here for a while & getting a top pairing RD which they need who has most of the attributes that they need seems like the right move to me given his age he could be on the roster sooner rather than later. I guess we'll see how they go.
I know where that argument comes from ... Mine is this... If you could draft a clone of Jake Sanderson.. even though you have more NHL LD than RD would you? I would and I would move the players to make room for him. I would not reach for a lesser RD that had some traits I really liked.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Buium is a much better defender than either. Parekh isn't a great defender but neither is Yakemchuk.

The difference is that Parekh has incredible potential as an offensive blueliner while Yakemchuk does not.

I'm skeptical about how much Yakemchuk's offense will translate to the NHL level. He's not going to be able to dangle NHL defenders like he has at the junior level and he'll have more trouble getting his shots through because his skating is not great.

He's like a freight train, he's fine once he gets going but his first couple steps and edgework are not pretty. For defensemen quickness is significantly more important to be able to open shooting lanes and exploit openings than top-end speed.

He's also not the greatest playmaker. Low assist totals in every year he's played in junior. He has a good breakout pass but isn't nearly as good at setting up teammates once in the offensive zone as Buium or Parekh. High goal totals relative to assists is actually a pretty big red flag in projecting defensemen to the next level. Usually is a decent indicator of a lack of hockey IQ, as defensemen should be getting far more assists than goals given their role. I don't think IQ is a huge weakness for Yakemchuk, but it isn't a major strength like with Buium or even Parekh.

The big pro with Yakemchuk compared to the alternatives is his mean streak. He's legitimately a tough bruising D and that is something you can't teach. May help him carve out a good career, maybe as a poor man's Phaneuf or a McNabb-type D.
Does Ottawa need another skilled left shot D? How much skill do they need on their left side? Is Buium going to pass Sanderson? My guess is no, is he going to pass Chabot? My guess is no for at least the next few yrs, maybe before Chabot's contract runs out & maybe not, we don't know. Is Buium going to be the 3rd pairing LD & push out Kleven? Do we want three offensive D on the left side? I won't argue that Yakemchuk is better than Buium or Parekh offensively, but I will argue that IMO he is a better fit for what the Sens need on the right side. Most of Ottawa's offence is going to depend on Sanderson & Chabot for the next few yrs anyway especially if they trade Chychrun, do they need another average size left shot D or do they need a bigger meaner defenceman on D? Which one will make the team as a whole better?

Alf Silfversson

Jun 8, 2011
I know where that argument comes from ... Mine is this... If you could draft a clone of Jake Sanderson.. even though you have more NHL LD than RD would you? I would and I would move the players to make room for him. I would not reach for a lesser RD that had some traits I really liked.

I think it's a no-brainer. The player we pick will not hit their prime for another 5-6 years. You take the best player, period. You don't go for position or style of player, IMO within the first round. You pick the player who is likely to be the most valuable asset in 3-6 years. If you do that right you can make trades to fill holes and address needs.

Hockey is a physical game and players can be hurt or decline at any time.

Pick the player who projects to be the best in 3-4 years and go from there. If that's Yakemchuk, fine. Parekh, fine. Buium, Silayev, Helenius, Iginla? Fine. Just get it right ! LOL.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
But it's not what they like but what they need, you are talking about taking more of the same & my question is do they need more of what they already have? My opinion is no, they need something different something they don't have & lack who again is not a 3rd pairing goon but a legitimate potential top pairing RD with size & mean streak. I understand your point & respect it & it's quite possible you will be proven right but I also expect that Yakemchuk could go top 10 & be a better prospect than he is given credit for. BTW how often to teams take a player that is not ranked as the best player available even in the top 10? Lots IMO, they have their own lists & most of the time they are not similar to the site lists we look at. Bob's list is not perfect either although he gets a lot of the guys right but not in the right order & in this draft a lot of these guys are close & can go in any order depending on who the team likes best.

Last edited:

Beech

What A Wonderful Day
Nov 25, 2020
Edmonton and Toronto, both had Two rebuilds. They overlapped. In both cases, it was the second rebuild that worked.

Vancouver had 2 rebuilds, but with a more blended development. And so, people did not recognize it.

I believe the Sens must do a second rebuild, overlapping with the first. Similar to Vancouver.

And so, BPA applies. The 2024 draft class, will be year 1 of rebuild 2. The 2024 and 2025 will merge with the 2021 draft (Osta and Bouch, if he recovers), the 2020 draft (all 5 players) and be the true FYOUS team.

The 2024 and 2025 drafts have to be BPA drafts and not Need drafts. Ironically enough, the 2021, 2022 and 2023 should have been the Need drafts.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad