NHL Entry Draft 2024 NHL Draft Talk

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Yakemchuk has good all-around potential but his offense gets overrated.

His goal scoring isn't as translatable to the next level as people think. Feet aren't quick enough to open shooting lanes and his dangles to the front of the net won't work at the NHL level.

His skating is fine when he gets going but the first couple steps aren't pretty, and that's what matters most when you're a defenseman trying to generate offense from the blueline.

I don't love his hockey IQ but he has fantastic hands and passes the puck well. He's also mean and looks really big and imposing on the ice. Even if his defensive game is inconsistent at the WHL level I could see him rounding things out and being a solid 2nd pairing all-around RD.

There should be better options if we finish in the top 8, but given how much weight we've put on toughness in recent years I could see him being our pick.
6'3 200 pound 18 year old D men have a long way to go when it comes to skating. No idea why this continues to be ignored its like everyone thinks these players are finished products. They wont hit their peaks for 5 to 6 years. What he is doing this year screams a way higher potential level than a 2nd pair d man. The fact he can make the types of plays he does says his skill lever is very high. Nothing is identically translatable but he is showing a very high level of skill relative to his age group and is producing at a historically high rate. If he is there at 7 they will be very fortunate.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
6'3 200 pound 18 year old D men have a long way to go when it comes to skating. No idea why this continues to be ignored its like everyone thinks these players are finished products. They wont hit their peaks for 5 to 6 years. What he is doing this year screams a way higher potential level than a 2nd pair d man. If he is there at 7 they will be very fortunate.
I don't see him going top 10, falling out of the top 15 wouldn't surprise me in the least

Agent Zub

Jan 2, 2015
My point was that I dont agree that Yakemchuk doesnt have high end upside. When he is a finished product I see a guy that honestly doesnt currently exist in the league. Not as big and physical as Weber but maybe a modern version of him with more skill. When I see people talking about players not being ready fast enough I dont really understand it. Its about sustainable success not burning it to the ground every 6 years. They have been in a rebuild for 7 years and most of the core players are 24 and under outside of like Batherson. Its very strange to me this mindset. I dont really care which guy gets there fastest this team isnt close to winning anything right now. I want the best player in the most valuable position.

isn't Burns a pretty accurate comparable?

granted Burns is pretty rare himself. but seems like they have a lot of the same strengths and weaknesses.

Reactions: bert

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
0 chance.
There's a pretty good chance he's the 6th D off the board, he's generally ranked ~6th.

Can't see him going ahead of Dickenson, Saliyev, Levshunov; I think both Buium, who'd I'd take 1st out of the D personally, and Parekh will be taken before him come draft.

Jiricek I don't think should be taken before him, but I think there's a real chance some team thinks they can develop him.

It's not really a hot take, he's generally ranked outside the top 10 everywhere. Perfectly fine to think he goes inside the top 10, he very well could, but to say him going outside the top 10 is a hot take is pretty strange

Ranked #16 by CONSOLIDATED RANKING
Ranked #22 by ELITEPROSPECTS.COM
Ranked #12 by TSN/BOB McKENZIE
Ranked #11 by TSN/CRAIG BUTTON
Ranked #27 by THN/FERRARI
Ranked #14 by THN/KENNEDY
Ranked #11 by MCKEEN'S HOCKEY
Ranked #10 by FLOHOCKEY/CHRIS PETERS
Ranked #15 by FCHOCKEY
Ranked #12 by DAILY FACEOFF
Ranked #6 by NHL CENTRAL SCOUTING (NA Skaters)
Ranked #12 by ISS HOCKEY
Ranked #5 by Constantino
Ranked #12 by SPORTSNET/BUKALA
Ranked #17 by RECRUIT SCOUTING
Ranked #24 by DOBBERPROSPECTS
Ranked #24 by DRAFT PROSPECTS HOCKEY
Ranked #24 by SMAHT SCOUTING

Those rankings will undoubtedly change and likely shift up come June.

Last edited:

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
6'3 200 pound 18 year old D men have a long way to go when it comes to skating. No idea why this continues to be ignored its like everyone thinks these players are finished products. They wont hit their peaks for 5 to 6 years. What he is doing this year screams a way higher potential level than a 2nd pair d man. The fact he can make the types of plays he does says his skill lever is very high. Nothing is identically translatable but he is showing a very high level of skill relative to his age group and is producing at a historically high rate. If he is there at 7 they will be very fortunate.

Yakemchuk is an '05 born and is already ahead of the '06s that make up most of the 2024 draft eligibles in development. His skating will improve but it's rare for a player with a sluggish first step to become an above-average skater, which is what he'd likely need to do to put up big goal totals at the NHL level.

Defenseman scoring in junior is higher than it's been since the 20th century. Putting up 30 goals is very impressive, 41 assists less so, but being slightly above a PPG as a defenseman no longer means what it once did.

The production of Parekh, Buium and Levshunov blows Yakemchuk out of the water. Dickinson had a similar PPG while being a year behind in development as an '06. He had a great year but I would not consider his season indicative of high-end offensive potential.

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
For the slot Ottawa would be picking in, Yakemchuk ticks a lot of boxes for me, including playing a more physical game than the other D.

Very Stable Genius

#WeLostOurKarlssons
Jan 3, 2005
Chicago
NHL mock draft: Predictions for the first 32 picks in 2024

ESPN has us taking DIckinson N.6

In Dickinson, the Senators get a 6-3 defenseman with an incredible toolbox, as scouts say. He's very raw and will need more time in junior hockey, but there isn't a better place to develop than London.

Ottawa's new management group will have seen Dickinson many times over the years and know that they're adding a potential top-four defenseman. Dickinson brings an attractive package that blends size, excellent mobility in transition and strong defensive play. His offensive game has developed over the course of the season, and his shot is noticeably improved. His reads in transition have also improved, and he has become an effective defender in transition, using his physical attributes and skating to interrupt plays on a nightly basis. In the defensive zone, he plays well positionally and capably defends one-on-one situations with confidence.

He has the potential to be a good two-way defender at the NHL level, capable of anchoring the second pair in Ottawa for years to come.

Reactions: Sens of Anarchy

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
I am leaning towards defense vs offense. I think the top 3 in that regard are Silayev, Dickinson, and Buium. Buium is at a disadvantage sometimes in board play, but he is in the right spots, has very good reads and his consistency and compete is right up there. Buium is a really good PMD, and can put up points. I'd love it if Silayev dropped to us.

IMO Levshunov, Yakemchuk and Parekh are projects defensively.
Parekh you are not drafting for defense ,, the hope defensively is adequate; He has a great processor and can be a difference maker offensively; he makes some wow plays in all 3 zones almost every game and he is lots of fun to watch.
Levshunov has the tools. I am not as high on him as the consensus. He is very inconsistent . You see flashes of everything good and bad. You can go from great hit to wtf was he thinking in the same shift. Different development path. Great tools though. Physical specimen. Good accomplishments. He is older for the class.
Yakemchuk I have not seen enough to really have my own opinion on details. He is the only D in the class that shows a mean streak ; His accomplishments are definitely there. He is older for the class.

I can't say I would have any disappointment issues with any of them if we are picking in the 7-10 range. I would also include Lindstrom in that group.
After that I have no depth opinion on how Catton compares to Helenius for example.

Masked

(Super/star)
Apr 16, 2017
Parts unknown
My point was that I dont agree that Yakemchuk doesnt have high end upside. When he is a finished product I see a guy that honestly doesnt currently exist in the league. Not as big and physical as Weber but maybe a modern version of him with more skill.

Never seen him play but he sounds a lot like Chychrun.

That's from noted idiot, Rachel Doerrie. ESPN really hiring from the bottom of the barrel

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Yakemchuk is an '05 born and is already ahead of the '06s that make up most of the 2024 draft eligibles in development. His skating will improve but it's rare for a player with a sluggish first step to become an above-average skater, which is what he'd likely need to do to put up big goal totals at the NHL level.

Defenseman scoring in junior is higher than it's been since the 20th century. Putting up 30 goals is very impressive, 41 assists less so, but being slightly above a PPG as a defenseman no longer means what it once did.

The production of Parekh, Buium and Levshunov blows Yakemchuk out of the water. Dickinson had a similar PPG while being a year behind in development as an '06. He had a great year but I would not consider his season indicative of high-end offensive potential.
He is an '05 born but he is a late in a very big body. He will have a longer development curve. The production of all those players is better but doesnt 'blow him out of the water'. You know what they aren't, 6'3 with a mean streak. Levshunov is the only one with a similar physical build/presence. Undersized scoring d men are super common, big ones are not. That's the difference.

Dickinson is a lefty and doesnt engage physically like Yakemchuk and cant score goals the same way and is on a much better team.

To each their own but you dont have to exaggerate to try and make your point.

BTW Dickinson had one hell of a pizza the other night. Really dont get the hype when I watch him.

Never seen him play but he sounds a lot like Chychrun.

That's from noted idiot, Rachel Doerrie. ESPN really hiring from the bottom of the barrel
Chychrun has a mean streak?

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
There's a pretty good chance he's the 6th D off the board, he's generally ranked ~6th.

Can't see him going ahead of Dickenson, Saliyev, Levshunov; I think both Buium, who'd I'd take 1st out of the D personally, and Parekh will be taken before him come draft.

Jiricek I don't think should be taken before him, but I think there's a real chance some team thinks they can develop him.

It's not really a hot take, he's generally ranked outside the top 10 everywhere. Perfectly fine to think he goes inside the top 10, he very well could, but to say him going outside the top 10 is a hot take is pretty strange

Ranked #16 by CONSOLIDATED RANKING
Ranked #22 by ELITEPROSPECTS.COM
Ranked #12 by TSN/BOB McKENZIE
Ranked #11 by TSN/CRAIG BUTTON
Ranked #27 by THN/FERRARI
Ranked #14 by THN/KENNEDY
Ranked #11 by MCKEEN'S HOCKEY
Ranked #10 by FLOHOCKEY/CHRIS PETERS
Ranked #15 by FCHOCKEY
Ranked #12 by DAILY FACEOFF
Ranked #6 by NHL CENTRAL SCOUTING (NA Skaters)
Ranked #12 by ISS HOCKEY
Ranked #5 by Constantino
Ranked #12 by SPORTSNET/BUKALA
Ranked #17 by RECRUIT SCOUTING
Ranked #24 by DOBBERPROSPECTS
Ranked #24 by DRAFT PROSPECTS HOCKEY
Ranked #24 by SMAHT SCOUTING

Those rankings will undoubtedly change and likely shift up come June.
He isnt the type of a guy internet scouts like. They also love Dubas and every advanced stat model going. NHL GM's value size and physicality because that's how you win in the playoffs. He will go top 10. Dont feel the same about Dickinson as you do, but you seem to like passive D men defensively.

LeProspector

AINEC
Feb 14, 2017
He isnt the type of a guy internet scouts like. They also love Dubas and every advanced stat model going. NHL GM's value size and physicality because that's how you win in the playoffs. He will go top 10. Dont feel the same about Dickinson as you do, but you seem to like passive D men defensively.
He isn’t the type of kid internet scouts love? What? An offensive first flashy defender are exactly the type of players internet scouts love, lol

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
He is an '05 born but he is a late in a very big body. He will have a longer development curve. The production of all those players is better but doesnt 'blow him out of the water'. You know what they aren't, 6'3 with a mean streak. Levshunov is the only one with a similar physical build/presence. Undersized scoring d men are super common, big ones are not. That's the difference.

Dickinson is a lefty and doesnt engage physically like Yakemchuk and cant score goals the same way and is on a much better team.

To each their own but you dont have to exaggerate to try and make your point.

Parekh has 96 points in 66 games as a 17 year old in the OHL
Buium has 49 points in 40 games as an 18 year old in the NCAA
Levshunov has 35 points in 38 games as an 18 year old in the NCAA
Dickinson has 70 points in 68 games as a 17 year old in the OHL

Those stat lines are significantly better than 71 points in 66 games as an 18 year old.

If you want to make the argument Yakemchuk is a better prospect than a lot of those guys because of reasons other than production, that's fine, I'm just pointing out his production is clearly 5th best of those 5 guys.

He isn’t the type of kid internet scouts love? What? An offensive first flashy defender are exactly the type of players internet scouts love, lol

Exactly. I'll also add that there's a bunch of people pumping his tires who just happen to be fans of teams in need of a big top 4 RD, which I'm sure is just a coincidence.

There's a lot of people seeing what they want to see with him and Levshunov.

Reactions: bicboi64

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast

I mean, I guess? He's outside the top 10 from NHL scouts on McKenzie's as well

I was very happy with the Kleven pick while many were upset, wanted Sanderson over Drysdale, love Saliyev and Levshunov who both are not passive on D.

I just don't like Yakemchuk as much as yourself, which is perfectly fine as he is a very good prospect, if you want to pigeon hole and backhand it as me liking passive D or not valuing physicality, more power to you.

Last edited:
Reactions: Six Assets

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Parekh has 96 points in 66 games as a 17 year old in the OHL
Buium has 49 points in 40 games as an 18 year old in the NCAA
Levshunov has 35 points in 38 games as an 18 year old in the NCAA
Dickinson has 70 points in 68 games as a 17 year old in the OHL

Those stat lines are significantly better than 71 points in 66 games as an 18 year old.

If you want to make the argument Yakemchuk is a better prospect than a lot of those guys because of reasons other than production, that's fine, I'm just pointing out his production is clearly 5th best of those 5 guys.

Exactly. I'll also add that there's a bunch of people pumping his tires who just happen to be fans of teams in need of a big top 4 RD, which I'm sure is just a coincidence.

There's a lot of people seeing what they want to see with him and Levshunov.
Scoring goals is harder than getting secondary assists on a great team. Holding it against a player that he has a late birthday is lazy you are reaching especially when ignoring historical development paths of bigger heavier players.

The inability to correlate development paths of different players bodies and skillsets is your own prerogative.

I didnt say he was better offensively than Parehk or that I even like him that much more of a prospect but he certainly isnt in a different class or tier. He brings an element Parehk and Buium do not.

You are simply only projecting what these players are right now not what they can and will develop into. People 'arent seeing' what they want to see they are understanding development and that its not linear for all players and there are more elements. Having a deeper understanding than analyzing statistics doesnt mean people dont know as much as you in fact its probably the opposite.

As for Levshunov you like stats how about his teams goal differential when he is on the ice and when he isnt. They go from unbeatable to bad. Are people 'seeing what they want to see in that instance'? Thats a more quantative stat then raw points when evaluating a D man. When I watched Levshunov last weekend I saw a player that knew how high the stakes were and was capable of playing a more reserved less risky game. Then when his team was down identity he needed to push and he did. Thats a raw player developing right in front of our eyes.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
I mean, I guess? He's outside the top 10 from NHL scouts on McKenzie's as well

I was very happy with the Kleven pick while many were upset, wanted Sanderson over Drysdale, love Saliyev and Levshunov who both are not passive on D.

I just don't like Yakemchuk as much as yourself, which is perfectly fine as he is a very good prospect, if you want to pigeon hole and backhand it as me liking passive D or not valuing physicality, more power to you.
The passive D man reference is to you liking both Chabot and Dickinson who in their end lack intensity and compete. I really don't care for that in a defenseman.

Once playoffs are done and the heavy teams go deep that's what the GM's will remember. Then they will look at the RD depth in the league and realize they are few and far between, especially physical RD that can shoot and move the puck. That's why Yakemchuk will be a top 10 pick.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
I'd have no issue if we pick 6-10 taking any of those defensemen they have there

6. Dickinson
8. Silayev
9. Parekh
10. Buium

Its going to be an interesting draft Any of them can be top 5 picks. I think Eiserman drops and I think Catton will drop from 7 as well.

I don't think the Sens will pick Parekh; He is the only righty in that range; but who knows.

I think Dickinson is a safe pick to play in your top 4 He's 17 with very good size and outstanding mobility. On the path towards a 2nd pair minute muncher. Silayev is a unicorn that could be on the path towards a great rangy shut down D with pluses. Parekh elite offensive IQ. Buium may be the best well rounded D prospect available. His combination of skating, IQ and skill is very good I would have him and Dickinson pretty close right now. More OHL games and NCAA games to watch those 2. As of now I think Buium is having a bigger role with Denver than Dickinson is with the Knights. London seems to be playing the heck out of George and Bonk and spotting the others in the playoffs so far.

If the Sens think they must pick an RD because of the current need .. they likely go Yakemchuk. I'd be ok with it but I don't think they should draft for current need but that's just me. If they have Yakemchuk higher go for it.

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
Scoring goals is harder than getting secondary assists on a great team. Holding it against a player that he has a late birthday is lazy you are reaching especially when ignoring historical development paths of bigger heavier players.

High goal totals and comparatively low assist totals as a defenseman is actually a major red flag in projecting their game and skillset to the next level.

If you look at the history of junior OFD that have at least half as many goals as assists in their draft year, it's not pretty. Usually indicates a lack of high-end hockey IQ or puck skill. No problem for Yakemchuk with skill but his skating, decision making and playmaking ability in the offensive zone isn't at the level that suggests top PP QB at the next level.

I'm willing to give Yakemchuk some slack because the Hitmen weren't an elite WHL team, but there's a fair bit in his game that doesn't look translatable to the NHL level.

What's lazy is assuming a player is raw and has a lot more development to go just looking at their height. Usually when I look at whether a player with size is "raw" is if they started hockey late or if they've grown a ton in recent years and if their weight doesn't match their height yet. A guy like Beckette Sennecke is a good example of this, whereas Yakemchuk is already close to 200lbs and I'm not aware of a recent growth spurt.

The inability to correlate development paths of different players bodies and skillsets is your own prerogative.

I didnt say he was better offensively than Parehk or that I even like him that much more of a prospect but he certainly isnt in a different class or tier. He brings an element Parehk and Buium do not.

You are simply only projecting what these players are right now not what they can and will develop into. People 'arent seeing' what they want to see they are understanding development and that its not linear for all players and there are more elements. Having a deeper understanding than analyzing statistics doesnt mean people dont know as much as you in fact its probably the opposite.

As for Levshunov you like stats how about his teams goal differential when he is on the ice and when he isnt. They go from unbeatable to bad. Are people 'seeing what they want to see in that instance'? Thats a more quantative stat then raw points when evaluating a D man. When I watched Levshunov last weekend I saw a player that knew how high the stakes were and was capable of playing a more reserved less risky game. Then when his team was down identity he needed to push and he did. Thats a raw player developing right in front of our eyes.

I agree with all of this. Not suggesting stats = potential. Obviously have to look at the skillset and project out what you think their development will look like over the years and the kind of player they can become when fully developed.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
The passive D man reference is to you liking both Chabot and Dickinson who in their end lack intensity and compete. I really don't care for that in a defenseman.

Once playoffs are done and the heavy teams go deep that's what the GM's will remember. Then they will look at the RD depth in the league and realize they are few and far between, especially physical RD that can shoot and move the puck. That's why Yakemchuk will be a top 10 pick.
I understood the comment

I don't like Dickinson more than Yakemchuk because he's passive, as though that's something I value. I like him more because I think he's going to be the better D in the NHL. I also like Dickinson less then Saliyev and Levshunov, neither of which is passive.

Yakemchuk may very well be a top 10 pick, he could be the 1st D taken, that wouldn't be surprising whatsoever, he's a great prospect. It wouldn't be surprising in the least if he wasn't either, he's not a slam dunk top 10 pick.

I lean on the side that doesn't think his transition or skillset in the NHL will bring what would warrant a top 10 pick; there will be tons that have the opposite view of me, and that's perfectly fine, I'm giving my personal opinion and evaluation, which has very little weight in the real world. I personally don't think he's going to transition well to the pro game, my view of him paints my thoughts on where he should/will go. Like I mentioned earlier, he’d be a guy I’d be perfectly fine with, but not my ideal pick.

Last edited:
Reactions: bert

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad