GDT: 2024 NHL Draft Lottery - May 7th 2024, 6:30 P.M ET

Better Call Sal

Salnalysis
Nov 24, 2011
New Jersey
Thr Draft Party back in 2011 for Larsson was a fun time. I'm sure many of you were there.

The Devils better do a Draft Party this year. I can't remember if they did one for 2022 when we got Nemec. Would be nice to have one this year.

Hoping we can win this thing somehow tomorrow but we have won it plenty of times the last 10 plus years. This season in retrospect hopefully will be a bump in the road with a good piece acquired for our Cup chances the next few years.

The one in 2022 was down at the Stone Pony, which was cool, but the event was kind of all over the place and no one quite knew where to watch the pick. I wonder if they'd consider going back there again or returning to Championship Plaza.

I think too many people went in banking on Slafkovsky, and it killed the mood for that group. I was totally fine with Nemec because we needed a player like him just as much as we did a big winger. I know many people wanted Wright, but I didn't think it made sense for us to go in that direction honestly.

Louskoolaid89

We're back!
Oct 14, 2017
Jeez for all that hype, Larsson looks like an absolutely horrendous skater in the highlight videos they showed. Looks like he’s skating in mud. Was he considered a good or bad skater at the time?
Nemec is going to be everything I thought Larsson was going to be. Larsson is still solid just not the gamechanger we had hoped for and sorley needed. I think he's closing in on 1,000 games. Anyone but, Chicago but they have Taylor Hall!

youryeah

Jun 21, 2019
if the devils don't win I hope they throw the sharks a bone and get 1OA. anyone but chicago really. and montreal. and columbus. and

Reactions: Xirik and Dialamo

CalamityX23

May 2, 2023
Devils will win the lotto tonight! It's in the stars...

At first, I claimed 1OA..... however top 3 is still a win!

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
They had a draft party in 2022, the response to the pick was mixed. (Well, one guy was audibly unhappy lol.)

Wasn’t that at some bar instead of the arena itself? I feel like they’ve gone away from the arena draft gatherings in general.

I’d say that reaction was an accurate barometer of HF lol

Bcap88

Ruff season that’s for sure
Aug 12, 2011
Chicago
If the league is rigged Utah wins the lottery to drum up excitement/interest in the new market.

That's my conspiracy theory.
Same theory, or San Jose wins because they have zero high end talent and the league wants parity

Reactions: JimEIV

Oneiro

Mar 28, 2013
Lars was the first time I cared about a pick and we got the guy I wanted. Was so thrilled.

I think had he been in a better situation maybe there was more offensive upside there but he never had as much IQ as was tauted during the draft. We were hoping for some non-violent Pronger or Lidstrom-lite (Pietro-esque, maybe) which was way too optimistic.

Cheddabombs

Status Quo
Mar 13, 2012
Scouts had Ty smith as an excellent skater as well
1715097934052.png

Better Call Sal

Salnalysis
Nov 24, 2011
New Jersey
Wasn’t that at some bar instead of the arena itself? I feel like they’ve gone away from the arena draft gatherings in general.

I’d say that reaction was an accurate barometer of HF lol

No, that was the inside venue at the Stone Pony. When I tell you that event was kind of all over the place, I mean it. :laugh: We showed up thinking they'd have something on the summer stage for all the people outside, but it was shut down in the far corner. So my buddy and I went inside where a band was performing, and you could probably only fit a few hundred people in that area tops. We had no idea where to watch the pick when it happened. And I think they had trouble getting it up on the TV in that area when the draft had officially started.

I later found out they had TVs up by the outdoor bar area to show the pick too. But it certainly didn't look that way when we arrived.

This was only in 2022 and we didn't have a first round pick last year after the Timo trade, so I wouldn't be shocked if they put another draft party together this year with us drafting in the top ten potentially.

Mr Bojanglez

Aug 17, 2007
From Jersey w/ Love
Lars was the first time I cared about a pick and we got the guy I wanted. Was so thrilled.

I think had he been in a better situation maybe there was more offensive upside there but he never had as much IQ as was tauted during the draft. We were hoping for some non-violent Pronger or Lidstrom-lite (Pietro-esque, maybe) which was way too optimistic.

He was never quite the same after that PK subban hit.

As others said - he still carved himself a good career. We wanted a Dman that year - the only other guys in the first round that have had good careers are Brodin and Hamilton.

So yea - he never hit expectations, but i'm still proud of him.

JrFischer54

Apr 4, 2017

ugh what a dud he turned out to be. i get that in weird HF thinking hes not a bust since he carved out an nhl career but he is absolutely a draft bust at #4

Better Call Sal

Salnalysis
Nov 24, 2011
New Jersey
ugh what a dud he turned out to be. i get that in weird HF thinking hes not a bust since he carved out an nhl career but he is absolutely a draft bust at #4

"Weird HF thinking" lol the guy is a very solid defensive defenseman still to this day (and only 31 years old if you can believe it). There are way worse flameouts that have been picked that high compared to Larsson.

Yeah, he didn't amount to the expectations that were put upon him in his draft year, but he eats minutes, rarely misses a game, plays rock solid defense and we traded him straight up for Taylor Hall so we cashed out at the right time. I'll give you that his offensive skills were underwhelming given what scouts proclaimed he could become, but he's absolutely a strong player in his own end. Probably a guy we wouldn't mind having on our blueline right now all things considered. Maybe not in Lindy's system though. :laugh:

forceten

Sponsor
Jul 15, 2004
Raleigh, NC

For me it was the Pierre Turgeon draft, where we finished second (again) by a point or so, this time to Buffalo. We drafted Brendan Shanahan, who in retrospect was not a bad selection at all. I thought we'd nailed it but the last games of the season saw us pass Buffalo.

I was too young for the brouhaha about Pittsburgh hiring local hot dog eaters to play so they'd tank worse than us and finished 1 point worse than the Devils who were still apparently trying 'til the end in '84. I was a fan but obscenely young. Of course Pittsburgh won the Lemieux sweepstakes and we took Kirk Muller. It was such an obvious tank job by Pittsburgh it was a scandal at the time, and even with that, they barely finished below us. The rest is history.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad