NFL: 2024 NFL off-season news & notes discussion thread

LT

Global Moderator
Jul 23, 2010
why not just get rid of the kickoff altogether?

just have teams start at the 25 yard line. and it's not like onside kicks matter anyways since they already ruined that years ago

This'll be a hard sell since there are so many special teams only players. The PA (and coaches) won't be happy. But I think its an inevitability at this point.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
The NFL couldn’t just let the NBA have this one eh
Money..... One NFL game is equal in value as 5 NBA games in terms of %. So, you are more likely to get people to tune into the NFL vs the NBA. That's what the ratings the past 2 years have shown.

This'll be a hard sell since there are so many special teams only players. The PA (and coaches) won't be happy. But I think its an inevitability at this point.
Now players make special teams with their punt and FG skills than on kickoff skills.

That was what separated the guys to make the final roster spot as a WR, LB, CB, TE, RB etc.

TheAngryHank

Expert
May 28, 2008
Money..... One NFL game is equal in value as 5 NBA games in terms of %. So, you are more likely to get people to tune into the NFL vs the NBA. That's what the ratings the past 2 years have shown.

Now players make special teams with their punt and FG skills than on kickoff skills.

That was what separated the guys to make the final roster spot as a WR, LB, CB, TE, RB etc.
Probably more action bet before and during national televised games..

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
I feel like GKJ has been saying this for like a month, give the credit where the credit is due
Browns or Falcons is what I heard, and someone on the Browns did a podcast since then and basically outed it that it's them.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017

Kickoffs are dangerous just due to the running start. From your own 35 you are building up speed for 50 yards before contact is made. With just 5 yards of separation, massive reduction in velocity before contact. I get why they are doing it. Just going to be weird to see it.

Reactions: LT

Troy McClure

Suter will never be scratched
Mar 12, 2002
South of Heaven
Browns or Falcons is what I heard, and someone on the Browns did a podcast since then and basically outed it that it's them.
And maybe the league told players on multiple teams to make sure their passports are current while the lesgue finishes the schedule, but it did sound like they accidently gave away on off-season story the NFL loves to use to make their coverage year round.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
I actually think the new run back could lead to more return TDs. I’m fine with it.
They seem to want to encourage the return because if you kick it into the end zone on the fly, the ball will go to the 35, which is only a 5 yard difference from kicking it out of bounds. But if the ball rolls into the end zone, it goes to the 20. So, they want the returns. But there could also be replays off of it.

Also, might make some unsportsmanlike penalties enforced on kickoffs interesting.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
And maybe the league told players on multiple teams to make sure their passports are current while the lesgue finishes the schedule, but it did sound like they accidently gave away on off-season story the NFL loves to use to make their coverage year round.
The Browns always seemed the more likely of those two because the Falcons have a new coach, and I find it hard that they'd want to put a new staff through that.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
They seem to want to encourage the return because if you kick it into the end zone on the fly, the ball will go to the 35, which is only a 5 yard difference from kicking it out of bounds. But if the ball rolls into the end zone, it goes to the 20. So, they want the returns. But there could also be replays off of it.

Also, might make some unsportsmanlike penalties enforced on kickoffs interesting.
I guess they are keeping that old returner steps out of bounds and then leans onto the field to touch the ball, thus making an out of bounds kick. So, K still needs to ensure that if they directionally kick it that the ball still needs to be safely in bounds.

As for giving away who Philly will play, it does make sense to ensure that players have their passports ready. There are pockets of the USA who wouldn't have a valid one right now. Would apply to NFL players as well.

PanthersPens62

Coach Nerd
Mar 7, 2009
Mike's Wheel Barrell
Love Love LOVE the Wednesday Christmas games! :handclap: Now they should also be able to figure out how to have Tuesday Christmas games (teams that played TNF the previous week) and we will be all set!

hockeykicker

Dec 3, 2014
So basically kicking it through the end zone results with it being at 30 instead of 25? I wouldn't mess around, just blast it through the end zone like always

ZDH

Mar 6, 2008
So basically kicking it through the end zone results with it being at 30 instead of 25? I wouldn't mess around, just blast it through the end zone like always
That's exactly what is going to happen. The NFL is doing this for "safety" and to create more returns but the return rate will be the exact same. Potentially even lower tbh once teams realize the new setup is easier to score.

IU Hawks fan

They call me IU
Dec 30, 2008
NW Burbs
Why would you concede 5 yards automatically?

That's exactly what is going to happen. The NFL is doing this for "safety" and to create more returns but the return rate will be the exact same. Potentially even lower tbh once teams realize the new setup is easier to score.
I'll take that bet.

Unholy Diver

Oct 13, 2002
in the midnight sea

There are way too many If/Then situations with this new rule

LANDING ZONE

• Landing zone is the area between the receiving team’s goal line and its 20-yard line.
  • Any kick that hits short of the landing zone – treated like kickoff out of bounds and ball spotted at B40 yard line; play would be blown dead as soon as kick lands short of the landing zone
  • Any kick that hits in the landing zone - must be returned
  • Any kick that hits in the landing zone and then goes into the end zone – must be returned or downed by receiving team – if downed then touchback to B20 yard line
  • Kick hits in end zone, stays inbounds - returned or downed – if downed then touchback to B30 yard line
  • Any kick that goes out of the back of the end zone (in the air or bounces) – touchback to B30 yard line

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
There are way too many If/Then situations with this new rule

LANDING ZONE

• Landing zone is the area between the receiving team’s goal line and its 20-yard line.
  • Any kick that hits short of the landing zone – treated like kickoff out of bounds and ball spotted at B40 yard line; play would be blown dead as soon as kick lands short of the landing zone
  • Any kick that hits in the landing zone - must be returned
  • Any kick that hits in the landing zone and then goes into the end zone – must be returned or downed by receiving team – if downed then touchback to B20 yard line
  • Kick hits in end zone, stays inbounds - returned or downed – if downed then touchback to B30 yard line
  • Any kick that goes out of the back of the end zone (in the air or bounces) – touchback to B30 yard line
So, they judge based on where the ball "Lands". So, via the air, it has to hit to the 20 or inside to avoid the illegal kick and Ball at the 40. I didn't see mention of that old stand out of bounds then reach in to touch the ball to make it an illegal kick so, is that still in play? I assume any ball that first lands inside the 20 still has to remain in bounds, thus, this rule would still apply.

They didn't show a wide shot, but when are the blockers/tacklers allowed to move? Once the ball touches the ground? I assume they can't just wait for the returner to touch the ball as he could hope that it rolls out of bounds for example.

Unholy Diver

Oct 13, 2002
in the midnight sea
So, they judge based on where the ball "Lands". So, via the air, it has to hit to the 20 or inside to avoid the illegal kick and Ball at the 40. I didn't see mention of that old stand out of bounds then reach in to touch the ball to make it an illegal kick so, is that still in play? I assume any ball that first lands inside the 20 still has to remain in bounds, thus, this rule would still apply.

They didn't show a wide shot, but when are the blockers/tacklers allowed to move? Once the ball touches the ground? I assume they can't just wait for the returner to touch the ball as he could hope that it rolls out of bounds for example.

the kicker can't cross the 50 and non returners can't move till the ball hits the ground or is played by the returner

this is where I pulled the info from before, should have included it

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad