Prospect Info: 2024 Entry Draft Thread - Let's Talk About Picks, Bay-bee

tny760

Mar 12, 2017
Here's my piece on Solberg: 2024 NHL Draft Preview: Defenseman Stian Solberg, Norway

Sorry for the delay. Was hoping this was going to go up last Thursday. Yawney leaving org and AHL playoffs took higher priority as far as news immediacy.

Also made video on some players mentioned in this thread - most notably Kiviharju.

Will probably write some pieces on some players in no particular order:
Alfons Freij
Liam Greentree
Aron Kiviharju

Emery still pending review, but am hoping to get that published this week. I'll nag Hoven about it, as I actually wrote it months ago and it fell through the cracks.

A few other requests I'm considering (not guaranteeing):
Miguel Marques
Simon Zether
Carter Yakemchuk
Cole Hutson
Jesse Pulkkinen
Beckett Sennecke
only going off the shift by shift there, i see it pretty much the same way. vanilla, probably translatable kind of game. good first touch though, that stood out to me. don't mind a guy that will take some runs too

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
Getting the feeling Solberg won't be available but I'm in love. But maybe he will since he's 'boring.'

Freij too
I'm certainly no expert, though I try my best. But he's played in Norway all year - I think this could have people question the general quality of competition.

He does well in international competition, but his numbers take a major, expected dip.

I just don't think he commands the ice well enough offensively, and he lacks the tools to be a strong powerplay quarterback.

I still like the dude a lot. You can see in EP that even in the World Championships, he's playing 18-25 mins. I just think there are valid question marks leading to him falling to 21 at least.

He may just wow one team enough a la Moritz Seider. Seider was ranked in the low 20s via consensus before going 6th.

He checks a lot of boxes for the Kings though.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
I'm certainly no expert, though I try my best. But he's played in Norway all year - I think this could have people question the general quality of competition.

He does well in international competition, but his numbers take a major, expected dip.

I just don't think he commands the ice well enough offensively, and he lacks the tools to be a strong powerplay quarterback.

I still like the dude a lot. You can see in EP that even in the World Championships, he's playing 18-25 mins. I just think there are valid question marks leading to him falling to 21 at least.

He may just wow one team enough a la Moritz Seider. Seider was ranked in the low 20s via consensus before going 6th.

He checks a lot of boxes for the Kings though.

I think his biggest concern really is upside too, and the oomph to play the game the same way against bigger guys. Minute munchers are valuable but is that really what we need to draft? I'm not sure. I know that contradicts what I'm saying, I do like him a lot, and I think someone takes a flier on him. But seems like a Bjornfot "safe" pick and I think we already have that guy in Dvorak too.

I like Freij though, he's a little more defined if a little riskier.

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
I think his biggest concern really is upside too, and the oomph to play the game the same way against bigger guys. Minute munchers are valuable but is that really what we need to draft? I'm not sure. I know that contradicts what I'm saying, I do like him a lot, and I think someone takes a flier on him. But seems like a Bjornfot "safe" pick and I think we already have that guy in Dvorak too.

I like Freij though, he's a little more defined if a little riskier.
I see Solberg as more of a Mattias Norstrom type, who needs to learn to pick his spots better. I certainly understand any trepidation with him. Even in a direct comparison, I like Emery in general more.

I know I made video of Freij, but I'm embarrassed to say there's little I remember even when I focused on him. I'm probably going to have to go back and try to refresh my mental notes.

Peter James Bond II

"Man, we were right there" - De-Luc-sional
Mar 5, 2015
KP - thanks for your reports. Love them and appreciate the work you put into them!
Emery is intriguing skills package and like the footage I've watched. Raging athletic ability, too. I have not looked at too many RHD....but since these prospects take 2-4 years, it matters not. The logjam that became Roy, Walker, Durzi, Doughty, Clarke, Spence was kind of freak. (then, drafted Grans and Faber?) Spence and Durzi coming up fast, due to injuries. This is another story and oh well. Subject is the draft. Just go for BHRA (best homerun available)

I agree with swinging for the fences. Comments like Emerson saying after Turcotte was drafted (you can still find it on youtube) "he plays the right way". That is admirable and a good trait. Alex does have skill and plays hard. He does play the right way. The right way is not the way players with top end talent and game breaking ability play. How many top 5 picks 'play the right way"? Top 5 picks should DICTATE PLAY!
Alex doesn't have that, or at least deveoped that yet, beyond the USA NTDP program. He probably needed a second yr at Wisc.
Just saying I hope Yannetti and staff have learned from Bjornfot and Hughes...and Grans. He was a forward that transitioned to defense and was so raw. Great size and some potential...but what skill did he possess? And they chose him ahead of Faber? Have they learned? At least Dvorak does have some upside and has a chance to be a second pairing..was 54th, I think, so it's not like they took him 20th. Liking Ziemmer and Slukynsky picks for sure.
I wonder who they would have taken in round 1 last year?

I have not watched much draft material the last few years..esp when #1 in 2023 was gone long before the draft.
At 21OA, there will definitely be good options. A few late risers like Solberg (possibly Freij, Luchanko) will just make the
pool look better at 21 and a player the Kings like at around 15-17 falls to them.

Chernyshov seems pretty intriguing and not a safe pick...part of that being the Russian factor and Kings' history with Russian players they draft!
Size, skill, speed and looks to have some real talent. Right shot. This is a new, short 3 minute vid. Don't know his contract status.
Still surprised they took Kirasnov, without knowing if he would come over. I hope he's the one coming over.
Checking Mayors X account daily to see if that is news...or the Jamsen signing, Man, if Kirsanov and Cheryshov were Kings
at camp...I'd consider flying out...and seeing fam, of course.

Last edited:

BaileyFan

Jun 14, 2023
KP - thanks for your reports. Love them and appreciate the work you put into them!
Emery is intriguing skills package and like the footage I've watched. Raging athletic ability, too. I have not looked at too many RHD....but since these prospects take 2-4 years, it matters not. The logjam that became Roy, Walker, Durzi, Doughty, Clarke, Spence was kind of freak. (then, drafted Grans and Faber?) Spence and Durzi coming up fast, due to injuries. This is another story and oh well. Subject is the draft. Just go for BHRA (best homerun available)

I agree with swinging for the fences. Comments like Emerson saying after Turcotte was drafted (you can still find it on youtube) "he plays the right way". That is admirable and a good trait. Alex does have skill and plays hard. He does play the right way. The right way is not the way players with top end talent and game breaking ability play. How many top 5 picks 'play the right way"? Top 5 picks should DICTATE PLAY!
Alex doesn't have that, or at least deveoped that yet, beyond the USA NTDP program. He probably needed a second yr at Wisc.
Just saying I hope Yannetti and staff have learned from Bjornfot and Hughes...and Grans. He was a forward that transitioned to defense and was so raw. Great size and some potential...but what skill did he possess? And they chose him ahead of Faber? Have they learned? At least Dvorak does have some upside and has a chance to be a second pairing..was 54th, I think, so it's not like they took him 20th. Liking Ziemmer and Slukynsky picks for sure.
I wonder who they would have taken in round 1 last year?

I have not watched much draft material the last few years..esp when #1 in 2023 was gone long before the draft.
At 21OA, there will definitely be good options. A few late risers like Solberg (possibly Freij, Luchanko) will just make the
pool look better at 21 and a player the Kings like at around 15-17 falls to them.

Chernyshov seems pretty intriguing and not a safe pick...part of that being the Russian factor and Kings' history with Russian players they draft!
Size, skill, speed and looks to have some real talent. Right shot. This is a new, short 3 minute vid. Don't know his contract status.
Still surprised they took Kirasnov, without knowing if he would come over. I hope he's the one coming over.
Checking Mayors X account daily to see if that is news...or the Jamsen signing, Man, if Kirsanov and Cheryshov were Kings
at camp...I'd consider flying out...and seeing fam, of course.

Everyone getting excited at the idea that Kirsanov is the mystery LHD making his Development Camp debut. Watch it wind up being some former Blake teammate’s son that they’re gifting an invite to.

• Haha
Reactions: Ghetty Green

Raccoon Jesus

Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Everyone getting excited at the idea that Kirsanov is the mystery LHD making his Development Camp debut. Watch it wind up being some former Blake teammate’s son that they’re gifting an invite to.

I think literally every single one of those guys that exists has already done it though, and i'm not saying that to be snarky

Taylor Ward
Quinn Emerson
Lukas Sillinger
Jack Blake
Jacob Modry

no parker murray yet though

Jungle Boy

Feb 12, 2003
Recife, Brazil
Here's my piece on Solberg: 2024 NHL Draft Preview: Defenseman Stian Solberg, Norway

Sorry for the delay. Was hoping this was going to go up last Thursday. Yawney leaving org and AHL playoffs took higher priority as far as news immediacy.

Also made video on some players mentioned in this thread - most notably Kiviharju.

Will probably write some pieces on some players in no particular order:
Alfons Freij
Liam Greentree
Aron Kiviharju

Emery still pending review, but am hoping to get that published this week. I'll nag Hoven about it, as I actually wrote it months ago and it fell through the cracks.

A few other requests I'm considering (not guaranteeing):
Miguel Marques
Simon Zether
Carter Yakemchuk
Cole Hutson
Jesse Pulkkinen
Beckett Sennecke
Miguel Marques - quite sure he is from little Portugal.

tny760

Mar 12, 2017
his username was tonellisghost, he changed it at some point, not gonna out the username personally in case he changed it for a reason. seemed like he edited some of his last posts out so i imagine it was for a reason

not hard to find with google and a little intuition tbh

Peter James Bond II

Mar 5, 2015
Pronman and Wheeler had their draft the other day, alternating picks, through 2 rounds.
What team was picking #32? (as the Cup winner) NY Rangers. Since it's subscription content,
will only say that I found it interesting and surprised that all of these went after #40 in their mock:
Parascak, Artamonov, Kiviharju, Basha, Pulkinnen, Hutson and Freij. That's all I will say.

But, Dobber has Freij at 18. Artamonov (LW/RW) at 14...McKenzie has Pulkinnen at #33.
One thing I noticed...Artamonov is all over the map...but 7 goals and 16 assists as an 18 yr old pretty impressive
in KHL...with Torpedo. Where Kirsanov plays. I wonder if the Kings were scouting him and Kirsanov and they made
better relations with Kirsanov and helped in getting him (it seems) in coming here. It seems the Kings should be able
to get a very good player at 21. I am not sure why this is considered a weak draft, as is being reported. Maybe, because
not the highest of elite talent, after Celebrini?

I just wish the Kings had #2 and #3 rd picks. Maybe they can get a #2 for Roys rights? Dreaming? Maybe they can deal Arty for a 3rd. That would suck, honestly. I have seen Auston Stanovich suggest an Arty for Kakko...RFA for RFA, but think the Kings would be adding here and not sure if Kakko is an answer to what the Kings need...or Arty to what the Rangers need...whether or not, both needing a change.

I'd like the Kings to get one of these: Greentree, Hage, Chernysov, Boisvert (if Yannetti likes him more than others here) Connelly (if the Kings are all inclusive as they say, hockey is for everyone! Even kids that posted wrong things / think in social media at 16. lol) possibly Boisvert...or defenseman - Stolberg, Freij. Think Brandsegg-Nygard, Senneke, will be long gone, at 21. And Kings have no dry powder to trade up. Now, watch them deal 21 for immediate 'help'.

Peter James Bond II

Mar 5, 2015
Maybe Sacha Boisvert could check all the boxes?

French-Canadien for the Luc, Bergevin...Brisson contingent.
Plays center or wing, for the Scouting / Dev that can make him wing, if they and coaching decide he can't play center (like most King drafted centers destiny as wingers)
Dad owned a boxing - tae kwon do studio and Sacha was in boxing tournaments, 6 fighting majors this yr. 4 reg season, 2 playoffs - Johnny Utah approved.
Can score wicked trick goals better than Zegras
Going to management approved program U of North Dakota, where several King prospects played
Has looks the puck bunnies would like and French accent
Work ethic reportedly off the charts
Has nice 1 timer and can score in a variety of ways - slapper, wrist, snap, good hands in close. Not a King forward trait though.

Size, smarts, great work ethic, great shot, can score, can lead, can fight. So...Kings will pass on him and take the 5'10" 175 lb center that plays the right way and works hard 200 feet. Kings would probably poo-poo a player with sick skills that does trick shots that are incomprehensible.. May be a bad influence.

I like the idea of a 86 pim 68 game forward that can play C or W and has a great shot. good size and will fill out...and a potential top 6 that will fight...hate the idea of having an enforcer that cannot play or 'we must play Englund...he's our only protector'. Would be so refreshing to have a skilled player you want in your lineup, that will throw down.

Ranked mostly 18-23. Someone has him 15th, apparently.

Trevor Lewis trick goal (with slo motion to try to actually see what I think I just saw)

scoring touch. so, Kings coaching can put him on the 4th line.

You could often find Sacha Boisvert wearing one of two things growing up: hockey gloves or boxing gloves. “He fought after a cheap shot to defend his teammates. That’s good,” Jimmy said of his son on a recent phone call. “The way I heard a scout talk to him about it, they still love that because he takes very few minor penalties, he’s still disciplined, but when it’s time to defend his teammate he’s there. That’s the way that leaders act in a team.”

2023-24
undefined flag
Muskegon Lumberjacks"A"
USHL61363268865

Last edited:

tny760

Mar 12, 2017
Plays center or wing, for the Scouting / Dev that can make him wing, if they and coaching decide he can't play center (like most King drafted centers destiny as wingers)
Dad owned a boxing - tae kwon do studio and Sacha was in boxing tournaments, 6 fighting majors this yr. 4 reg season, 2 playoffs - Johnny Utah approved.
Going to management approved program U of North Dakota, where several King prospects played
Has nice 1 timer and can score in a variety of ways - slapper, wrist, snap, good hands in close. Not a King forward trait though.
giphy.gif

funky

Build around Byfield, not the vets
Mar 9, 2002

Size, smarts, great work ethic, great shot, can score, can lead, can fight. So...Kings will pass on him and take the 5'10" 175 lb center that plays the right way and works hard 200 feet. Kings would probably poo-poo a player with sick skills that does trick shots that are incomprehensible.. May be a bad influence.

I like the idea of a 86 pim 68 game forward that can play C or W and has a great shot. good size and will fill out...and a potential top 6 that will fight...hate the idea of having an enforcer that cannot play or 'we must play Englund...he's our only protector'. Would be so refreshing to have a skilled player you want in your lineup, that will throw down.

Trevor Lewis trick goal (with slo motion to try to actually see what I think I just saw)

You could often find Sacha Boisvert wearing one of two things growing up: hockey gloves or boxing gloves. “He fought after a cheap shot to defend his teammates. That’s good,” Jimmy said of his son on a recent phone call. “The way I heard a scout talk to him about it, they still love that because he takes very few minor penalties, he’s still disciplined, but when it’s time to defend his teammate he’s there. That’s the way that leaders act in a team.”

2023-24
undefined flag
Muskegon Lumberjacks"A"
USHL61363268865

Sounds like he is too good to be true. What are the knocks?

Reactions: Ghetty Green

FrozenKing18

Goongala! Goongala!
Aug 11, 2009
SoCal

2023-24
undefined flag
Muskegon Lumberjacks"A"
USHL61363268865

Would be a great pickup. Ziemmer and him injecting some nuts in this roster would be great. Not holding my breath though.

Raccoon Jesus

Oct 30, 2008
I.E.

2023-24
undefined flag
Muskegon Lumberjacks"A"
USHL61363268865

1716698288532.gif

Peter James Bond II

Mar 5, 2015
Sounds like he is too good to be true. What are the knocks?
Not sure...maybe not elite skating / and they said at top speed, his top skills are not as evident...but they love what he can do, overall. And he only had 3 pts in 8 playoff games and that was alarming to some. So, another King trait there. 2 majors in the playoffs...maybe he hurt his hand? Who knows. But most have him 18-23. I just want a pick with true upside and some burning desire to be a difference maker.

These guys have an episode dedicated to him. I only watched part of it...will watch the rest. They seem to like him and moved him up from their initial ranking.

Last edited:

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
Was looking into making a video of Boisvert. Unfortunately, the recording I still have is corrupted for 5 minutes into the third. I'll see if I can get more.

He's a noticeably terrible skater in every sense of the word, imo. Low top speed, slow feet, wide turn radius, awkward wide stance. And I say that as someone who never had any formal skating instruction and don't know what to look for.

He was pretty oblivious defensively as well.

I wouldn't hate the pick, as these things by and large can be improved with instruction and coaching. He's physical with a good shot. In that way, he's not too different from Ziemmer, though in my opinion, Ziemmer's skating deficiencies stand out less and his physicality is more visible.

Though Boisvert does play in the USHL, and generally it's a less physical league, so that may factor in.

Since I didn't have video of him where I was unsatisfied with the cuts and incompleteness of my video, I decided to veer from my original plan and am making one on Adam Jecho. Not likely to go at 21, but he might be worth a nab if the Kings trade down and/or acquire more picks.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad