2024 Draft

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary
Nah, it's BPA so long as it's a defenceman or center. No wingers (except maybe Iginla) or goalies.

Contending teams build around the defence and center and it's long past time the Flames followed suit.

Which is why it's a virtual guarantee the Flames will draft a left shot left winger with their first

As an aside, one other thing to keep in mind is if the Flames draft a RHS defenceman (or bring one in via trade or free agency), Brzustewicz might not sign here. There's already 3 RHS ahead of him that play similar styles in Andersson, Weegar, & Miromanov all signed for at least 2 more years. And then there's Pachal who as a stay at home type that even if bottom pairing quality, might not be moved because of need.
I'm all for BPA, but we've had far too many of these come up our system. Out of our last 4 first round picks, 3 are left shot LW or ended up there (Zary's case). Maybe just a case of bad luck, but we have far too much redundancy inour pool.

Meanwhile, our best centre prospects are Rory Kerins and Jaden Lipinski. IMO this is the single reason this "retool" is going to end up a "rebuild," we simply do not have the prospect pool.

As for your RHD point, Weegar often plays the left, so I don't think its as big an issue as you make it out to be.

crackdown44

Cold milk cools down hot food
Dec 1, 2017
I agree with BPA but from what I’ve read the general sentiment is that there’s not a massive difference between the guys who are likely to go in the range we’ll be picking so I guess that’s why I’d hope we wouldn’t be grabbing one of the LHDs

Obviously if Silayev falls into your lap at 10 for whatever reason it’s a different story

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
If it's a dman not named Silayev or Yakemchuk I don't want it.

Wonder if Conroy picked up all these D prospects because he thinks the 1st round is going to be defense heavy. Which wouldn't surprise me looking at some of the mocks. Could get some good value fwds with our two picks. Anybody in the 22-32 range you guys like? One of Parascak, Hage, or Ritchie would be solid. Reaching a bit on a big center like Miettinen I wouldn't hate either.

Yepthatsme

Oct 25, 2020

Wonder if Conroy picked up all these D prospects because he thinks the 1st round is going to be defense heavy. Which wouldn't surprise me looking at some of the mocks. Could get some good value fwds with our two picks. Anybody in the 22-32 range you guys like? One of Parascak, Hage, or Ritchie would be solid. Reaching a bit on a big center like Miettinen I wouldn't hate either.
Another thought I’ve had with how much Conroy keeps preaching re-tool, defense prospects take on average 2-3 years longer than forward prospects and peak later. In one year with all our moves and promotions, we have shifted our organizational need from defense to forwards. Could line up with the re-tool, draft a forward heavy class this year and next, weaponize our cap space to add key replacements (that ungodly defense of ours currently, then have a massive wave of reinforcements in the next 2-3 years.

Reactions: HitterD

FLAMESFAN

Feb 27, 2002

I'm on the Boisvert train for the Van pick. Add Beaudoin, Letourneau, Jecho, Luchanko, and Misa to your list.

Ace Rimmer

Stoke me a clipper.

Trade up for Lindstrom. Don't waste my time on draft day. :snide:

A lottery win would be fine too, but I'd be tempted to trade it and pick Lindstrom, then get other stuff.

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
Would be great if we could get one of Demidov, Levshunov, Silayev, Catton, Dickinson, Yakemchuk, Lindstrom or gulp… Celebrini.

Then trade every other pick we have in the draft for Iginla.

Reactions: Ace Rimmer

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Based on where we sit, give me Tij Iginla, Cole Beaudoin, Dean Letourneau, Miguel Marques (ok, so I want to see someone play locally that's a Flames prospect for a change), Clarke Caswell

User1996

Jun 24, 2020
As of now, I’m not overly in love with the back of the 1st. Boisvert, Beaudion, Pettersson, and Hage are probably the only C in that range I’d consider.

Beckett Sennecke (probably taken), John Mustard, Andrew Basha, Nikita Artamonov (ranked all over) could be nice adds if we go winger (though Basha has played some C with Lindstrom out).

I’m excited to have an early 2nd. Always seems like there are fallers, or high-skill bets that can pay off in that range. Marek Vanacker, Melvin Fernstrom, Matvie Gridin, or Teddy Stiga come to mind here, as well as the others above who may not end up going day 1.

FLAMESFAN

Feb 27, 2002
As of now, I’m not overly in love with the back of the 1st. Boisvert, Beaudion, Pettersson, and Hage are probably the only C in that range I’d consider.

Beckett Sennecke (probably taken), John Mustard, Andrew Basha, Nikita Artamonov (ranked all over) could be nice adds if we go winger (though Basha has played some C with Lindstrom out).

I’m excited to have an early 2nd. Always seems like there are fallers, or high-skill bets that can pay off in that range. Marek Vanacker, Melvin Fernstrom, Matvie Gridin, or Teddy Stiga come to mind here, as well as the others above who may not end up going day 1.
Mustard was a name I hadn't heard for the early rnds, had to look him up.
What do you guys think of Misa? That seems like a good homerun swing with one of our 2nd rnd picks, and continues our legacy of having the less talented brother (likely)

FLAMESFAN

Feb 27, 2002
My ideal draft (expecting around 10th)

Our pick: Iginla, Yak or Helenius
Van's 1st: One of Connelly/Boisvert/Beaudoin should still be available
Our 2nd: Letourneau/Misa/Jecho or back to D and take local boy, and RD Charlie Elick
Dall 2nd: Anyone available from above

We're going to stock the cupboards these next few drafts, and I love it!

HitterD

Apr 25, 2022
Calgary

Two things are becoming clearer to me post-deadline.

1. The Flames are likely going to be bad enough to get into the top 8-9 in this draft, which should guarantee a top Center or Dman with the first pick, and that should be the priority

2. I’m personally going to be really disappointed if the Flames don’t draft Iginla, even if it’s to take a top C or D.

Seems to me with the Flames having a hopeful top 9 pick, or better yet win the lottery, we should be pretty excited about this start to the rebuild, but I’m selfish and I want it all in this 2024 draft. I want to be more excited than I have been in years for this Flames team, and I think a lot of Flames fans would pay to watch another Iginla with a flaming C on his chest.

Conroy needs to do the right thing here and find another top 15 pick to draft Iginla with, it’s the only way to make this 2024 draft a complete home run for me. Trade Markstrom at the draft for a top 15 pick if you can, or if you can’t, trade him for some pieces that will help the Flames trade up from Vancouvers
Pick to grab Iginla. I don’t care how it happens, just make it happen Craig

Reactions: RasmusAndersson

User1996

Jun 24, 2020
Really think we need to be cautious on how much we fall in love with Iginla. Especially if all goes well and end up at #8. I love Tij and he’s a player, but to take him at 8 means you’re passing on a better player who also happens to play C or D.

This coming from someone who has Iginla ranked #9 right now, but that’s above Eiserman, Yakemchuk, and Levshunov who are all likely to go ahead anyways.

I get the nostalgia, but the success of the future has to go ahead of that. Ideally the Devils pick is in play for a Markstrom deal and you can consider taking him at the worse of ours and the Devils pick.

Yepthatsme

Oct 25, 2020
Think at this point we have a fantastic chance to have one of Lindstrom, Demidov, Lindstrom, Catton, or Eiserman available at our pick. Eiserman to me should be the last one of that group taken if any others are available, but I think at this point he’s just being over criticized. He is by far the best goal scorer in the draft with not much competition, he has his flaws but that’s an extremely good trait to bet on. If for some reason they’re all gone, we will have a great D-man left for us to snag or Iginla as an easy choice.

Everyone better be getting their karma in order though, what a year this would be to finally break our streak and have some lottery luck.

User1996

Jun 24, 2020
This is probably the worst list I’ve seen. I wouldn’t even consider Silayev or Levshunov until all of Celebrini, Catton, Demidov, Buium, and Dickenson are gone - possibly even Helenius, Iginla, Eiserman, and Yakemchuk for Levshunov.

He doesn’t even have Artamonov in the first.

This is a huge miss by Cosentino if we’re being honest.

Backlund

Dec 29, 2009
Calgary, AB
Think at this point we have a fantastic chance to have one of Lindstrom, Demidov, Lindstrom, Catton, or Eiserman available at our pick. Eiserman to me should be the last one of that group taken if any others are available, but I think at this point he’s just being over criticized. He is by far the best goal scorer in the draft with not much competition, he has his flaws but that’s an extremely good trait to bet on. If for some reason they’re all gone, we will have a great D-man left for us to snag or Iginla as an easy choice.

Everyone better be getting their karma in order though, what a year this would be to finally break our streak and have some lottery luck.

No more Americans

FLAMESFAN

Feb 27, 2002
This is probably the worst list I’ve seen. I wouldn’t even consider Silayev or Levshunov until all of Celebrini, Catton, Demidov, Buium, and Dickenson are gone - possibly even Helenius, Iginla, Eiserman, and Yakemchuk for Levshunov.

He doesn’t even have Artamonov in the first.

This is a huge miss by Cosentino if we’re being honest.
Almost every list out there has both Silayev & Levshunov ahead of Dickenson & Buium.
What is your hate on them? And not many have Artamonov in the 1st.

User1996

Jun 24, 2020
Almost every list out there has both Silayev & Levshunov ahead of Dickenson & Buium.
What is your hate on them? And not many have Artamonov in the 1st.
Maybe “not even think about them” was a bit strong. I don’t hate them, but I think all the guys I listed have skills that make them better bets to hit and become actual high end players. Whether or not that happens, who knows.

Silayev: Strong start to the year with 6 PTS in 6 GP, but production was almost non-existent after (5 PTS in 57 GP). I don’t see the puck skills and offensive skills to contribute that you’d like to see out of a 2nd pick. Although the size and skating combination is intriguing, I don’t see the Victor Hedman comparison that McKenzie tossed out during his rankings show. Projects as likely a solid PK guy with his reach, but not a guy that will play on a PP (maybe PP2). Catton, Demidov, Buium I prefer because they all have the chance to be game breakers, Dickenson projects to put up better offensive numbers than Silayev with roughly the same defensive contribution. If someone preferred Silayev to Dickinson I really wouldn’t question it or die on that hill despite my opinion.

Levshunov: I want to like him so bad because the size and production, but again, I think there are some big limitations there. Having only watched 2 games of Miromanov, they seem fairly similar to me so take that comparison with a grain of salt. His skating will get noted as a big positive because he skates fast in a straight line forward, but he’s not a particularly functional skater, I would argue. Hockey sense is a big one for me, particularly on the defensive side of the game, which is something I’ve always seen as incredibly difficult to teach. Not particularly high on his ability to move the puck unless he can wind up and skate with it. Think toolsy, but needs to put it all together.

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
Trade up for Lindstrom. Don't waste my time on draft day. :snide:

A lottery win would be fine too, but I'd be tempted to trade it and pick Lindstrom, then get other stuff.

A big mean center I would be on board with. I like Lindstrom a lot but also think he's one of the riskier players in the top 15. Don't love his IQ or his defensive commitment. He does skate well and has a heavy shot. Like that he has a meanstreak, always curious how far a major injury will drop a player in his draft year.

Honestly unless it's a lottery winner I would just take Iginla with our pick. Worked out with Tkachuk drafting bloodlines. I don't really see an elite 200 ft 1C in this draft other than Celebrini. Iggy Jr looks like a can't miss top 6 fwd. Maybe he's not his dad but I don't think he needs to be. If he has even a 1/4 of his net drive he'll be just fine. More good players than bad should be what we see out of our drafting philosophy.

Last edited:

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
Iginla is an exciting prospect and we won't have to worry about willingness to be loyal to the Flames, work ethic, attitude or respect for women. Or so I would assume.

Scouts put a lot of effort into trying to project what these guys will be like as workers and as people, and with this one they have to have basically zero concerns or question marks.

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
Another thought I’ve had with how much Conroy keeps preaching re-tool, defense prospects take on average 2-3 years longer than forward prospects and peak later. In one year with all our moves and promotions, we have shifted our organizational need from defense to forwards. Could line up with the re-tool, draft a forward heavy class this year and next, weaponize our cap space to add key replacements (that ungodly defense of ours currently, then have a massive wave of reinforcements in the next 2-3 years.

The tricky thing with this defense is finding someone better than both Weegar and Andersson. 1D is a very hard job that I'm not sure either are really cut out for. I do expect they will sign a 2nd pairing defenseman this offseason. Replacing either Tanev or Hanifin is one thing, replacing both in the matter of weeks is a very tall task.

I'm on the Boisvert train for the Van pick. Add Beaudoin, Letourneau, Jecho, Luchanko, and Misa to your list.

If he's still up there then for sure. Haven't seen much of the others.

FLAMESFAN

Feb 27, 2002
Iginla is an exciting prospect and we won't have to worry about willingness to be loyal to the Flames, work ethic, attitude or respect for women. Or so I would assume.

Scouts put a lot of effort into trying to project what these guys will be like as workers and as people, and with this one they have to have basically zero concerns or question marks.
I don't doubt that Tij is a stand up kid - but no one should assume that just because a parent is a good role model that their kids are too.

Last edited:

FLAMESFAN

Feb 27, 2002
Maybe “not even think about them” was a bit strong. I don’t hate them, but I think all the guys I listed have skills that make them better bets to hit and become actual high end players. Whether or not that happens, who knows.

Silayev: Strong start to the year with 6 PTS in 6 GP, but production was almost non-existent after (5 PTS in 57 GP). I don’t see the puck skills and offensive skills to contribute that you’d like to see out of a 2nd pick. Although the size and skating combination is intriguing, I don’t see the Victor Hedman comparison that McKenzie tossed out during his rankings show. Projects as likely a solid PK guy with his reach, but not a guy that will play on a PP (maybe PP2). Catton, Demidov, Buium I prefer because they all have the chance to be game breakers, Dickenson projects to put up better offensive numbers than Silayev with roughly the same defensive contribution. If someone preferred Silayev to Dickinson I really wouldn’t question it or die on that hill despite my opinion.

Levshunov: I want to like him so bad because the size and production, but again, I think there are some big limitations there. Having only watched 2 games of Miromanov, they seem fairly similar to me so take that comparison with a grain of salt. His skating will get noted as a big positive because he skates fast in a straight line forward, but he’s not a particularly functional skater, I would argue. Hockey sense is a big one for me, particularly on the defensive side of the game, which is something I’ve always seen as incredibly difficult to teach. Not particularly high on his ability to move the puck unless he can wind up and skate with it. Think toolsy, but needs to put it all together.
Fair, you have your own opinion, but the majority of experts disagree with you.
Silayev has often been compared to Chara, and it took him (like most real tall kids) a few years to become what he was. Silayev has a TON of potential, but sure there is some risk there.

I'm not going to lie, I've seen only a few of these guys play. But I love checking out rankings/lists and update my own based on the opinions of these scouts/media guys.
Buium is often the 5th or 6th (sometimes even further down) DMan. Personally, I think he's ranked right with Iginla/Yak/Helenius, and for me he's 4th in that group.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad