2024 Draft

FLAMESFAN

Feb 27, 2002
For Vancouver’s 1st, I don’t see how Edmonton overtakes them at this point, unfortunately for us.

Assuming that’s 24ish, some targets I’d be hopeful for are Sennecke, Freij, Basha, Stiga, and Hage.
I think Frej, Basha & STiga might be 2nd rnd

For me I'm still hoping Connelly, Boisvert or Hage are still there. If not Miettinen should be.
As you can see I'm going for a Center.

User1996

Jun 24, 2020
I think Frej, Basha & STiga might be 2nd rnd

For me I'm still hoping Connelly, Boisvert or Hage are still there. If not Miettinen should be.
As you can see I'm going for a Center.
Stiga is really the only I’d agree with there, and I think he’s a guy we look at in a couple years and ask why he wasn’t in the 1st.

Freij is the next best D for teams that are picking later - D at the back end seems quite thin - I fully expect a guy like him, LSW, Emery, Fischer, etc. to go I’m the 1st. Might not be Freij, but I could see it.

Basha I’d say no way. Probably a better chance he goes top 20 than in the 2nd. Showed some ability to play C in a few games down the stretch which I like in that spot.

Reactions: FLAMESFAN

FLAMESFAN

Feb 27, 2002
Stiga is really the only I’d agree with there, and I think he’s a guy we look at in a couple years and ask why he wasn’t in the 1st.

Freij is the next best D for teams that are picking later - D at the back end seems quite thin - I fully expect a guy like him, LSW, Emery, Fischer, etc. to go I’m the 1st. Might not be Freij, but I could see it.

Basha I’d say no way. Probably a better chance he goes top 20 than in the 2nd. Showed some ability to play C in a few games down the stretch which I like in that spot.
And Basha hasn't lost much of a step with Lindstrom out. I just think there were alot of questions about him in many rankings, and he was often left out of the 1st.
LSW I think has usually been ranked ahead of Freij, but again I really don't know much about either of them.
Personally I just hope for a more physical DMan in the 2nd/3rd. Elick might still be there, but lots of others....Gill, Lavoie, Badinka, Emery etc. I want us to swing for impact forwards in the 1st.

Reactions: User1996

crazyfisherman

Sharangovich fanboy
Sep 22, 2012
Seems like no ones talking about Esierman here. Ik hes american and has some red flags, but i didnt realize how young he was, there could be a lot more growth left in him. Hes only 3 months older than Hagens, whose the early favorite for #1 next year.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Isn't Joe (Jiggy) supposed to be even better than Tij (Tiggy) too? DOes he have a shot @ #1 in 2026?

Ace Rimmer

Stoke me a clipper.
Seems like no ones talking about Esierman here. Ik hes american and has some red flags, but i didnt realize how young he was, there could be a lot more growth left in him. Hes only 3 months older than Hagens, whose the early favorite for #1 next year.
Yeah. Like the player a lot. Just super weary of a player telling the Flames to GTFO after four years of college instead of after his RFA contract.

Backlund

Dec 29, 2009
Calgary, AB

Because he's a one dimensional LW sniper. We have a lot more important pieces we need first before adding a guy like Eiserman. And the very real possibility that if we draft him that he'll never play a game here.

Also because unless we win the draft lottery we're most likely drafting Tij Iginla. I can't see management passing on him unless they have to.

FLAMESFAN

Feb 27, 2002
Because he's a one dimensional LW sniper. We have a lot more important pieces we need first before adding a guy like Eiserman. And the very real possibility that if we draft him that he'll never play a game here.

Also because unless we win the draft lottery we're most likely drafting Tij Iginla. I can't see management passing on him unless they have to.
There was also that recent article where he says he doesn't need to work on his D anymore because it's perfect.....ya, OK Cole....

User1996

Jun 24, 2020

I mean, I’m not high on him (and don’t see us ending up with him), but to play devils advocate that one-dimension is also the most important thing a winger can do.

Also, why is that a real possibility that he will never play here? Talk about being irrationally scared of Americans.

Backlund

Dec 29, 2009
Calgary, AB
Also, why is that a real possibility that he will never play here? Talk about being irrationally scared of Americans.

It's not irrational at all, he's going to college and younger players have been much more willing to force their way out of situations they don't like. It isn't just a Gaudreau and Tkachuk thing. Fox also did it to us, Erixon did, Cutter Gauthier just did it to Philly, Hunter Brzustewicz seems like he was ready to do it to Vancouver before we traded for him. Not considering the possibility at this point is just idiotic.

Yepthatsme

Oct 25, 2020
It's not irrational at all, he's going to college and younger players have been much more willing to force their way out of situations they don't like. It isn't just a Gaudreau and Tkachuk thing. Fox also did it to us, Erixon did, Cutter Gauthier just did it to Philly, Hunter Brzustewicz seems like he was ready to do it to Vancouver before we traded for him. Not considering the possibility at this point is just idiotic.
You just named 5 players across 12 drafts, so 5 out of 2540 names. Making drafting decisions based on those odds are idiotic. Draft a mix of team needs and BPA to a degree, Eiserman has every single scout heading into this draft agreeing he’s the best goal scorer by far, that’s a player we should very much be considering.

Last edited:
Reactions: User1996

User1996

Jun 24, 2020
First and foremost, when was the last time a top 10 pick played 4 years at college and signed as an FA? They’re just not going to pass up millions of dollars. The guys that go FA are not typically 1st round picks.

Like, even if he pulls a Cutter Gauthier he’s still a valuable asset - they got Drysdale for him. I’d rather that than be scared of picking Americans and end up with guys who amount to nothing that provide us no value instead - that’s what’s idiotic. Would you have rathered us draft Matt Felipe because Fox is American? Alex Nylander instead of Tkachuk? Emil Molin instead of Gaudreau?

Tkachuk got us incredible value (granted it didn’t turn out well), Gaudreau could have but the situation was botched, Fox was a piece in a big deal (got the Hurricanes two 2nds as well - more valuable than his draft slot). Brusztewicz signed with us so that doesn’t even fit your narrative in the slightest.

This anti-American attitude would have driven this franchise into the ground. This isn’t even a pro-Eiserman opinion either.

Some Other Flame

Dec 4, 2010
Generally speaking, top picks almost always sign quickly if only to maximize their career earning potential.

But taking a one dimensional scoring winger while the team has giant cavernous holes at center and defence, one that can be potentially filled with the elite talent available at that position would be monumentally disastrous.

There should be potential top line centers or top pairing defensemen available between 6th and 10th. No need to overthink this, just take the best one. The Flames have too many wingers as it stands

Backlund

Dec 29, 2009
Calgary, AB
You just named 5 players across 12 drafts, so 5 out of 2540 names. Making drafting decisions based on those odds are idiotic.

I never said make decisions based on those odds. I said you have to consider the possibility. You still have to interview him and do research to figure out the likelihood of each player specifically.

First and foremost, when was the last time a top 10 pick played 4 years at college and signed as an FA? They’re just not going to pass up millions of dollars. The guys that go FA are not typically 1st round picks.

Like, even if he pulls a Cutter Gauthier he’s still a valuable asset - they got Drysdale for him. I’d rather that than be scared of picking Americans and end up with guys who amount to nothing that provide us no value instead - that’s what’s idiotic. Would you have rathered us draft Matt Felipe because Fox is American? Alex Nylander instead of Tkachuk? Emil Molin instead of Gaudreau?

Tkachuk got us incredible value (granted it didn’t turn out well), Gaudreau could have but the situation was botched, Fox was a piece in a big deal (got the Hurricanes two 2nds as well - more valuable than his draft slot). Brusztewicz signed with us so that doesn’t even fit your narrative in the slightest.

This anti-American attitude would have driven this franchise into the ground.

Nobody ever ends up playing all 4 years because teams just cut their losses and trade them. It still isn't a situation you want to be in if you can avoid it. Not to mention Eiserman probably won't even be BPA when we pick so this argument is likely pointless. Also you're trying to make there's risks to consider about Eiserman and Americans in general for a team like Calgary into me saying never draft an American and they all should be avoided like the plague.

Reactions: IharRB

Qubax

Oct 25, 2002
Visit site
I think we'll end up with the 8th pick, if we don't win the lotto.

It would be very sad to see Tij go before us, but I'd like to research the top guys enough to comfort myself that even the worst of the Top 8 will feel like a top 5.

Hope I can pull this off.

Celebrini
Demidov
Dickinson
Helenius
Lindstrom
Catton
Iginla
Buium

I suppose any of those Top 8 are a very good prospect
-
Zayne Parekh
Yakemchuk
Levshunov

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
I wouldn’t be totally against the idea of moving Van’s pick to move up to #2 to take Demidov

FLAMESFAN

Feb 27, 2002
I think we'll end up with the 8th pick, if we don't win the lotto.

It would be very sad to see Tij go before us, but I'd like to research the top guys enough to comfort myself that even the worst of the Top 8 will feel like a top 5.

Hope I can pull this off.

Celebrini
Demidov
Dickinson
Helenius
Lindstrom
Catton
Iginla
Buium

I suppose any of those Top 8 are a very good prospect
-
Zayne Parekh
Yakemchuk
Levshunov
I think you have to have Silayev in there too.

It's funny, couple months ago I wanted Lindstrom bad. Now I'm almost worried he drops to us, and it's a real possibility. The back issues scare me, this is coming from someone who has personal experience with back problems from a young age.

User1996

Jun 24, 2020
I think you have to have Silayev in there too.

It's funny, couple months ago I wanted Lindstrom bad. Now I'm almost worried he drops to us, and it's a real possibility. The back issues scare me, this is coming from someone who has personal experience with back problems from a young age.
Maybe it’s because of Honzek’s injuries and how he’s taken a step back production wise, but I’m almost on the same page. Luckily, I don’t think many teams will pass on a big, fast, physical C.

My hope is Silayev and Lindstrom both go before 8, pushing a Catton or Iginla down. If Lindstrom’s there I think you almost have to risk it though.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad