2024 Draft - Overagers to watch

Jersey Fan 12

Positive Vibes
Nov 20, 2006
Sweden (SHL, Allsvenskan, J20 Nationell): Hugo Fransson (D), Hannes Hellberg (F), Petter Vesterheim (F), Lucas Lagerberg Hoen (D), Oskar Asplund (D), Isac Hedqvist (F), Kalle Carlsson (F), Filip Sitar (F), Arvid Bergström (D)

Liiga: Jesse Pulkkinen* (D), Elmeri Laakso (D), Janne Naukkarinen (F), Jere Lassila (F), Jimi Suomi (D), Kalle Ervasti (D), Benjamin Rautiainen (F), Arttu Alasiurua (F), Noa Vali (G), Jimi Kuivila (G)

NL: Simone Terraneo (D), Tommaso De Luca (F)

Czechia: Jiří Ticháček (D), Jaromír Pérez (F), Adam Cedzo (F), Jan Kavan (G)

KHL: Ilya Ivantsov (F), Vladimir Mikhalyov (F), Yaroslav Busygin (D), Yaroslav Tsulygin (D), Yegor Vinogradov (F), German Tochilkin (F), Yegor Klimovich (F), Pavel Moysevich* (G), Ilya Nabokov* (G), Dmitri Gamzin (G)

VHL: Grigori Kuzmin (F), Makar Khanin (F), Daniil O. Ivanov (D), Magomed Sharakanov (D), Sergei Artemyev (F), Radel Zamaltdinov (F), Gleb Saranchuk (G)

MHL: Nikita Surayev (F), Dmitri Utkin (F), Ignat Lutfullin (F), Yegor Solovyov (F)

USHL: Gavyn Thoreson (F), Erik Påhlsson (F), Benjamin Poitras (F), Austin Burnevik (F), Gennadi Chaly (D)

OHL: Anthony Romani (F), Dalyn Wakely (F), Donovan McCoy (D)

QMJHL: Antonin Verreault (F), Joseph Henneberry (F), Markus Vidicek (F), Mathis Rousseau (G)

WHL: Kenta Isogai (F), Oasiz Wiesblatt (F), Nate Misskey (D), Mazden Leslie (D), Harrison Meneghin (G)

NCAA: Andon Cerbone (F), Matthew DiMarsico (F), Ben Robertson (D), Tanner Adams (F), Dylan Hryckowian (F), Jake Livanavage (D)

Definitely some names I left off, figured I'd just try to list the more prominent ones

Seems like the Czech goalie Jan Kavan (2005) held his own in a dozen or so Extraliga games for Kometa Brno and is having a nice run for the club's U20 team in the playoffs. Is he someone to watch?

Reactions: Czechboy

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
I really like Thorpe a lot. I might even be willing to use Arizona’s latest 2nd (Florida’s) on him. It’s his second year of being draft eligible but he was young for his class. He’s only a couple months older than Yakemchuk. Anyway, Thorpe is a menace on the ice. A ton of fun to watch.

I also really like Nate Misskey. I’d look at him as soon as Arizona’s earliest 3rd rounder.

Reactions: neelynugs

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
Seems like the Czech goalie Jan Kavan (2005) held his own in a dozen or so Extraliga games for Kometa Brno and is having a nice run for the club's U20 team in the playoffs. Is he someone to watch?
1712196468894.png

TBH.. his last 5 games were exceptional.. 4 of them anyways. I can't think of many kids his age tending net in Extraliga like this. Extraliga tends to favor the vets. And, Extraliga is a bit stronger than usual with several Czech busts coming back and most opting for no KHL. Not a huge step up but it's better than usual by a small margin.

1712196775518.png

That is an insanely good season.

Reactions: MS

Vikz

Dec 26, 2021
Still baffled no one took Niks Fenenko the previous years. He is a double overager, but with a late birthday, not much older than some first time overagers mentioned here.
Is the leading defenceman of the Baie-Comeau Drakkar, who are dominating the Q and will probably have a deep playoff run.
Scores points, stays out of the penalty box, reliable defensively. While playing for Latvia in the world juniors, he was only -1 on a team that was -21 in 5 games, despite playing more than 25 minutes per game on average.

Niks Fenenko at eliteprospects.com

czech

Feb 23, 2009
Marek Rocak had a good regular season in the WHL, and in the playoffs he has a PPG of 1 point per game.

Reactions: Czechboy

neelynugs

Feb 27, 2002
anyone bored enough to toss together a top 25 list for overagers? working on my own list this week, will post when complete.

neelynugs

Feb 27, 2002
had a few minutes to kill....just my own list, probably a lot of differing opinions.

1 – Jesse Pulkkinen

2 – Anthony Romani

3 – Nate Misskey

4 – Ilya Nabokov

5 – Owen Allard

6 – Pavel Moysevich

7 – Jan Spunar

8 – Kaden Shahan

9 – Ondrej Becher

10 – Lukas Matecha

11 – Tyler Thorpe

12 – Matyas Melovsky

13 – Albin Boija

14 – Jake Fisher

15 – Veit Oswald

16 – Eric Jamieson

17 – Marco Mignosa

18 – Austin Burnevik

19 – Jackson Unger

20 – Samuel St-Hilaire

21 – Dominik Rymon

22 – Matthew Buckley

23 – Ben Robertson

24 – Trent Swick

25 – Kenta Isogai

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
had a few minutes to kill....just my own list, probably a lot of differing opinions.

1 – Jesse Pulkkinen

2 – Anthony Romani

3 – Nate Misskey

4 – Ilya Nabokov

5 – Owen Allard

6 – Pavel Moysevich

7 – Jan Spunar

8 – Kaden Shahan

9 – Ondrej Becher

10 – Lukas Matecha

11 – Tyler Thorpe

12 – Matyas Melovsky

13 – Albin Boija

14 – Jake Fisher

15 – Veit Oswald

16 – Eric Jamieson

17 – Marco Mignosa

18 – Austin Burnevik

19 – Jackson Unger

20 – Samuel St-Hilaire

21 – Dominik Rymon

22 – Matthew Buckley

23 – Ben Robertson

24 – Trent Swick

25 – Kenta Isogai

You have a lot of goalies listed...most of them small and/or double overagers with limited sample size of good play at a decent level. You don't think Harrison Meneghin should be on that list over those guys? Jackson Unger and St.Hilaire are just plain and simply brutal goalies, Nabokov is small, 03 born and has just the one KHL season to show. Matecha is promising but fell off a cliff over the winter. Moysevich and Spunar are really good but 04 born, therefore older than Meneghin. Meneghin should get drafted, maybe Moysevich and Spunar have a chance as well. With the other ones I don't see it.

Finster8

aka-Ant Hill Harry
Jan 18, 2015
Grimsby
Alex Christopoulos for Saginaw has looked looked good 49goals last season, 30 this season. Was playing with Bloom and Beck and has decent size 6’0 190. He’s definitely worth a look

neelynugs

Feb 27, 2002
You have a lot of goalies listed...most of them small and/or double overagers with limited sample size of good play at a decent level. You don't think Harrison Meneghin should be on that list over those guys? Jackson Unger and St.Hilaire are just plain and simply brutal goalies, Nabokov is small, 03 born and has just the one KHL season to show. Matecha is promising but fell off a cliff over the winter. Moysevich and Spunar are really good but 04 born, therefore older than Meneghin. Meneghin should get drafted, maybe Moysevich and Spunar have a chance as well. With the other ones I don't see it.
i like meneghin too, have him 30...you don't think nabokov will get picked at all?

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
i like meneghin too, have him 30...you don't think nabokov will get picked at all?

I mean I don't know but I wouldn't. The guy is 21 and played a whopping 60 KHL games. How many 21 year olds do get drafted? I don't know that number but I'd say hardly any. Also, Nabokov is 6'0. Might be a different story if he was 6'3 upwards.

neelynugs

Feb 27, 2002
I mean I don't know but I wouldn't. The guy is 21 and played a whopping 60 KHL games. How many 21 year olds do get drafted? I don't know that number but I'd say hardly any. Also, Nabokov is 6'0. Might be a different story if he was 6'3 upwards.
i would lean toward your opinion based on his size, but the numbers in that league are hard to ignore. obviously most of us aren't watching the games, so hard to say how much is nabokov and how much is the team in front of him. maybe @Caser has some more thoughts - he's the man.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
i would lean toward your opinion based on his size, but the numbers in that league are hard to ignore. obviously most of us aren't watching the games, so hard to say how much is nabokov and how much is the team in front of him. maybe @Caser has some more thoughts - he's the man.

These numbers are easy to ignore. It's 60 games which is not enough of a sample size...especially for a 21yo.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
These numbers are easy to ignore. It's 60 games which is not enough of a sample size...especially for a 21yo.

?

To me a 60-game sample of .930+ play at that level is huge. Like, probably the biggest sample at the highest level you're ever going to see for a draft-eligible goalie.

Hinterland said:

There's one or two every year.

Montreal took Bogdan Konyushkov in the 4th round last year.

Tryamkin

May 18, 2015
Canada
I’ve been screaming Hannes Hellberg’s name from the mountaintops over the past year but he didn’t get a draft look. Still a top name to keep an eye on.

Reactions: PerryTurnbullfan

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
?

To me a 60-game sample of .930+ play at that level is huge. Like, probably the biggest sample at the highest level you're ever going to see for a draft-eligible goalie.

There's one or two every year.

Montreal took Bogdan Konyushkov in the 4th round last year.

Konyushkov was just a double overager. Late birthday. He's still 21.

Reactions: 100Eyes

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Konyushkov was just a double overager. Late birthday. He's still 21.

'Late birthday double overager' isn't really a thing.

He was a 2002-born player who was only eligible because he was European. His eligibility falls under the same rule as Nabokov and your birthdate only has any significance in your first time through the draft.

Reactions: Hockeyville USA

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
'Late birthday double overager' isn't really a thing.

He was a 2002-born player who was only eligible because he was European. His eligibility falls under the same rule as Nabokov and your birthdate only has any significance in your first time through the draft.
Konyushkov only got overlooked twice, Nabokov trice already. Same draft year. They're both 21 but Nabokov has 60 games, Konyushkov has 150. Which is partly why one is already drafted while the other isn't. How many 21 year olds did get drafted into the NHL? I'm talking guys who got overlooked trice. Can't be many. And no, Konyushkov isn't one of them. The only one that comes to mind is Janis Moser but he had 150 NL games under his belt. Again, Nabokov has 60 KHL games...

Last edited:

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Konyushkov only got overlooked twice, Nabokov trice already. Same draft year. They're both 21 but Nabokov has 60 games, Konyushkov has 150. Which is partly why one is already drafted while the other isn't. How many 21 year olds did get drafted into the NHL? I'm talking guys who got overlooked trice. Can't be many. And no, Konyushkov isn't one of them.

Whether one guy was overlooked twice or three times really isn't relevant anymore when you're dealing with 21-year old guys who are only eligible because they're European. It's a pretty specific, small bucket that both fall into.

60 games in the 2nd best league in the world is a huge sample size for a draft-eligible goalie. Like, if some guy dropped a .930 in the AHL in that amount of games in his draft+3 ... that would be considered a pretty major prospect. Virtually no goalies - drafted or not - have that many games at that high of a level coming out of their 20 y/o season.

Konyushkov had only played 1 KHL season when he was drafted so their GP was roughly the same, especially allowing for D vs. G.

Caser

@RUSProspects
May 21, 2013
Riga/Yaroslavl
twitter.com
He looks pretty interesting to me, but smaller goalies always carry an additional question mark.

Reactions: neelynugs

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
How many 21 year olds do get drafted? I don't know that number but I'd say hardly any.

Since the CBA changed in 2005:

2005 - none
2006 - none
2007 - Johan Harju, Robert Dietrich
2008 - Jonas Holos
2009 - Mikko Koskinen
2010 - none
2011 - Magnus Nygren, Henrik Tommernes
2012 - Frederik Andersen (22, previously drafted), Marek Mazanec
2013 - Kristers Gudlevskis, Joel Vermin, Brenden Kichton (previously drafted), Emil Galimov
2014 - Viktor Arvidsson
2015 - Andrei Mironov, Dominik Simon, Markus Nutivaara
2016 - Anatoli Golyshev, Maxim Mamim
2017 - Gilles Senn, (Swedish) Sebastian Aho, Andrei Svetlakov, Sebastian Repo, Patrik Virta
2018 - Victor Brattstrom, Veini Vehvilainen
2019 - Ilya Konovalov, Arsen Khisamutdinov
2020 - Artyom Galimov, Filip Engaras, Maxim Marushev
2021 - J.J. Moser, Andrei Buyalsky
2022 - Lucas Edmonds, Dennis Hildeby
2023 - Juha Jatkola, Arno Tiefensee

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
Since the CBA changed in 2005:

2005 - none
2006 - none
2007 - Johan Harju, Robert Dietrich
2008 - Jonas Holos
2009 - Mikko Koskinen
2010 - none
2011 - Magnus Nygren, Henrik Tommernes
2012 - Frederik Andersen (22, previously drafted), Marek Mazanec
2013 - Kristers Gudlevskis, Joel Vermin, Brenden Kichton (previously drafted), Emil Galimov
2014 - Viktor Arvidsson
2015 - Andrei Mironov, Dominik Simon, Markus Nutivaara
2016 - Anatoli Golyshev, Maxim Mamim
2017 - Gilles Senn, (Swedish) Sebastian Aho, Andrei Svetlakov, Sebastian Repo, Patrik Virta
2018 - Victor Brattstrom, Veini Vehvilainen
2019 - Ilya Konovalov, Arsen Khisamutdinov
2020 - Artyom Galimov, Filip Engaras, Maxim Marushev
2021 - J.J. Moser, Andrei Buyalsky
2022 - Lucas Edmonds, Dennis Hildeby
2023 - Juha Jatkola, Arno Tiefensee

Thanks for the list. Appreciate it. More than I expected but still not many. And the real NHLers you can count on one hand.

Reactions: Blueston

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Thanks for the list. Appreciate it. More than I expected but still not many. And the real NHLers you can count on one hand.

Excluding the last 2 drafts which are too recent, 13/32 guys played in the NHL and 7/32 were/are regular players, which is a crazy good hit rate for guys taken mainly 4th-7th rounds.

Reactions: Vector and Realgud

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
Excluding the last 2 drafts which are too recent, 13/32 guys played in the NHL and 7/32 were/are regular players, which is a crazy good hit rate for guys taken mainly 4th-7th rounds.

Who are the 7 NHL regulars? Even if I count Nutivaara and Simon, which would be very generous given the fact that they were regulars for maybe one season each, I still don't get to 7. Maybe I've forgotten about somebody.

Among the NHL regulars, Moser and Koskinen were 2nd rounders, Fredrik Andersen a 3rd round pick.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad