2024 Draft Discussion

OgeeOgelthorpe

Sparkplug
Feb 29, 2020
Well, maybe Kane is no angel. Doesn’t change anything he accomplished on the ice. And Chicago isn’t ready to give back those Stanley Cup titles.

My point. You don’t need a team full of perfect image Sidney Crosby’s to win.

McCarty wasn’t exactly in bed by 10pm every night with a zero blood alcohol level. Fedorov was accused of being more interested in living a flashy Hollywood life, then focusing on hockey. All those characters blended well and more than worked out !

Sometimes talent just wins out and teams can win with all different types of guys.
Hopefully we don’t narrow our draft pool to only hockey obsessed, goody two shoes, who do two a day workouts 7 days a week.

A player doesn't have to be a goody two-shoes to be a decent human being. Never once did national media talk about what scumbags McCarty and Fedorov were. Enjoying the nightlife is very different than the shit Kane has been accused of during the course of his career. Or the kinds of dumb shit that Connelly has been accused of as a teen.

heyfolks

Apr 30, 2007
We call Kane’s character into question all the time. Some Wings fans are ignoring the bad stuff from the past because he produced well but many are still pointing out that he’s king turd.

"We" ...... the guy is celebrated here, there and everywhere. Best ever American born player, they say. By a die majority, people want him re-signed. On and on. So "we" may call his character into question but "they" still covet and sign him. In some ways, this makes my point. His only character issue is taking a photo and posting what a teammate did with books. At 15-16, swastika, genitalia, lgbt flg, aetc can be sen as funny to naive boys going through puberty. That's all I am sating. Beating up a 62 year-old, while a NHL star is a bigger deal.

We call Kane’s character into question all the time. Some Wings fans are ignoring the bad stuff from the past because he produced well but many are still pointing out that he’s king turd.

I do not see it, but accept it. I would say his acts far surpass this kid's and were done not as a dumb kid, but an adult. He appears to have addressed the claims to a degree far more mature than his actions. I am good with that.

Reactions: deca guard

OldnotDeadWings

Sep 18, 2013
Not sure why anyone would expect SY and scouting staff to stray far from the template of their five previous first picks. They're not so close to contention IMO that they'd be willing to change how they evaluate that important first pick to find one specfic missing roster ingredient. They've picked players with excellent skating ability, a great work ethic and compete level, zero character issues, They all have two-way abiliity and physical willingness. None of them required much projection, Raymond successful even before adding a lot of strength. There is obvious attention paid to positional value/need. They're all seemingly mature young men in how they conduct themselves on and off ice. As much as some fans might quibble about Kasper or Danielson, I would bet the Wings are very happy with how they evaluated what they bring and their progress to date.

Trying to project what a Wings board would look like, and following the trend of how they've used their first pick, I come up with this top five for wingers:

1. Iginla; 2. Helenius; 3A. MBN; 3B. Sennecke; 5. Chernyshov. A wild card is the underrated IMO Hage, a pure center but in most respects checks boxes the Wings like and might have more potential as an offensive 2C than either Danielson or Kasper. I've discounted D as a likely option, but Yakemchuk also checks most of the boxes and has a rare combination of physicality and skill. As for the wingers: Iginla is a perfect fit but probably out of reach. Helenius plays C but easily projected as a winger with good skating, surprising strength for his size and diverse skills. MBN/Sennecke is a toss-up, MBN tailor-made for how the Wings have done things to date; Sennecke needing some physical and skating development but already 6-2 180 and the skating coming along. Chernyshov checks every box but there is less certainty about availability and the intangibles that have been important for first picks.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
Not sure why anyone would expect SY and scouting staff to stray far from the template of their five previous first picks. They're not so close to contention IMO that they'd be willing to change how they evaluate that important first pick to find one specfic missing roster ingredient. They've picked players with excellent skating ability, a great work ethic and compete level, zero character issues, They all have two-way abiliity and physical willingness. None of them required much projection, Raymond successful even before adding a lot of strength. There is obvious attention paid to positional value/need. They're all seemingly mature young men in how they conduct themselves on and off ice. As much as some fans might quibble about Kasper or Danielson, I would bet the Wings are very happy with how they evaluated what they bring and their progress to date.

Trying to project what a Wings board would look like, and following the trend of how they've used their first pick, I come up with this top five for wingers:

1. Iginla; 2. Helenius; 3A. MBN; 3B. Sennecke; 5. Chernyshov. A wild card is the underrated IMO Hage, a pure center but in most respects checks boxes the Wings like and might have more potential as an offensive 2C than either Danielson or Kasper. I've discounted D as a likely option, but Yakemchuk also checks most of the boxes and has a rare combination of physicality and skill. As for the wingers: Iginla is a perfect fit but probably out of reach. Helenius plays C but easily projected as a winger with good skating, surprising strength for his size and diverse skills. MBN/Sennecke is a toss-up, MBN tailor-made for how the Wings have done things to date; Sennecke needing some physical and skating development but already 6-2 180 and the skating coming along. Chernyshov checks every box but there is less certainty about availability and the intangibles that have been important for first picks.

It'd be crazy for Calgary not to pick Iginla's kid, just from a marketing perspective. I know they have more pressing need with defense, but how else are they gonna get fans to watch a crappy team? Good chance at least 2 of the other 4 are off the board at 15 as well.

But overall I agree with your assessment, including Hage which is my pick. His stats are close to Trevor Connelly, and he plays center, can shoot, has NHL size already, and he says all the right things. Keep in mind he missed most of last season with an injury, came back started off a bit inconsistent, but played well down the stretch. I think his injury last season has him ranked below where he should be, and he might be off the board by 15.

Reactions: OldnotDeadWings

OldnotDeadWings

Sep 18, 2013
It'd be crazy for Calgary not to pick Iginla's kid, just from a marketing perspective. I know they have more pressing need with defense, but how else are they gonna get fans to watch a crappy team? Good chance at least 2 of the other 4 are off the board at 15 as well.

But overall I agree with your assessment, including Hage which is my pick. His stats are close to Trevor Connelly, and he plays center, can shoot, has NHL size already, and he says all the right things. Keep in mind he missed most of last season with an injury, came back started off a bit inconsistent, but played well down the stretch. I think his injury last season has him ranked below where he should be, and he might be off the board by 15.

I've spent most of my free retirement hours set aside for hockey following wingers this year, but Hage did catch my eye and I like the little I've seen of him. Plays fast and seems comfortable in the middle of the ice. Checks the skating, size, maturity boxes. Reading some reports, it seems there is work to be done defensively which is not suprising, but I didn't think he looked disinterested, just more not sure what to do. Could be a result of having missed almost an entire season and overall what he did this season is pretty impressive considering the lost year (or most of it). There are probably lots of people with a better or more informed opinion about him than I have so would be glad to hear from them.

I really like both Iginla and Helenius and a small trade up for either of them would be fine by me.

Crunchy

Jan 27, 2020
Last edited:

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
Jett Luchanko is another guy seemingly rising up boards with attributes like skating, athleticism, and abrasive being used in the same sentence, but just 5'10".

Kournianos has us taking him in his mock (2024 NHL Mock Draft: Post-Lottery Edition) and Craig Button has him going 12 to Philly (Button’s Mock Draft: Who goes after Celebrini? - TSN.ca).

Also, believe Pronman mentioned he expects him in the top 20. And that Sennecke may likely be top 10 at this point.
It's looks like we could choose between about 10 -15 players for #15

Dotter

THE ATHLETIC IS GARBAGE
Jul 2, 2014
Imprisonment, TN
goo.gl
Anyone listen to Locked on NHL Prospects podcast? They have insiders talk about these kids and what I can tell you is Trevor Connelly is a jerk. An absolute cancer; someone you avoid at all costs. Yzerman is NOT drafting him. Can he grow out of his major character flaws? Not worth the risk to find out! For the first pick, SFY looks for the three C's in a player; Character, Compete, and Consistency.

And I can tell you Michael Brandsegg-Nygård is exactly your SFY type player right down to the 'T'. If he's available, that's who Yzerman is taking. The only player I could see 'possibly' taking over him is Beckett Sennecke if available. But if Sennecke falls to #15, then I would have to question why....

Reactions: flychairman

Barry Amsterdam

Nättias Dänielstrom
Apr 2, 2013
i think the wings will have a selection of about 5 guys who they should consider

i’m expecting
Celebrini,Demidov,Buium,Levshunov,Lindstrom,Parekh, Catton,Eiserman,Iginla,Dickinson to be top 10. Silayev, Yakemchuk also right there but we’re not taking a D.

That leaves Connelly,MBN,Senneke,Greentree and Helinus as guys in our range

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
i think the wings will have a selection of about 5 guys who they should consider

i’m expecting
Celebrini,Demidov,Buium,Levshunov,Lindstrom,Parekh, Catton,Eiserman,Iginla,Dickinson to be top 10. Silayev, Yakemchuk also right there but we’re not taking a D.

That leaves Connelly,MBN,Senneke,Greentree and Helinus as guys in our range
We don't take goalie at #15, that's all. We take best in Yzerman opinion, player. Center, defansman, wing .

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
Don't want Connelly at all from what I am hearing and reading about him. That said, we don't need to draft the player with the most character all the time. We still need skill guys at some point. We don't need 5-10 two way guys with character while not drafting any with good offensive skill. Right now, ASP appears to be the only player drafted by Yzerman aside from Raymond who may have good to great offensive skill, the rest are all considered two way character guys or not offensive at all.

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
Don't want Connelly at all from what I am hearing and reading about him. That said, we don't need to draft the player with the most character all the time. We still need skill guys at some point. We don't need 5-10 two way guys with character while not drafting any with good offensive skill. Right now, ASP appears to be the only player drafted by Yzerman aside from Raymond who may have good to great offensive skill, the rest are all considered two way character guys or not offensive at all.
Artamonov, but I don't think should be taking at 15

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA

Why is Connelly considered so much better than Hage, when Hage actually scored more goals in the same league?

I can see how people would want Esierman, Catton, or Tij, those kids look like pure goal scorers.

Crunchy

Jan 27, 2020
They've drafted forwards without two way ability, albeit mostly with late-2nds+, they just haven't done it particularly well (yet?). Mastrosimone, Soderblom, Niederbach, Lombardi, Buchelnikov, Noah Dower-Nilsson...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad