2024 Draft Discussion

Vector Cereal

Jan 30, 2020
About time we got started on next year

Two picks in the first round - have to hope neither is in the top ten (Boston's is top 10 protected).
Looks like a solid draft at the top end this far out. You've got a top flight C, W, and D in Celebrini, Eiserman, and Parekh, respectfully. Some other names that have made themselves known in Kiviharju, Demidov, Levshunov, Catton, Helenius, Howe, Dickinson, Hutson, Jiricek, and Zetterberg.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Looking like a really good draft for defenseman if we don't take one with a premium pick this year.

Specifically here are some RD of interest:

Also Jiri's son is in this draft and was a high pick in the USHL (LHD though)

GoBoltz56

Brisebois 1st Rounder
Jul 31, 2004
Tampa and Michigan
About time we got started on next year

Two picks in the first round - have to hope neither is in the top ten (Boston's is top 10 protected).
Looks like a solid draft at the top end this far out. You've got a top flight C, W, and D in Celebrini, Eiserman, and Parekh, respectfully. Some other names that have made themselves known in Kiviharju, Demidov, Levshunov, Catton, Helenius, Howe, Dickinson, Hutson, Jiricek, and Zetterberg.
I honestly don't see how much will be different from this year. Signing mid-tier UFA's will not move the needle enough to improve. Multiple big trades would need to be made to improve things.

Kibe

Regular User
Jan 17, 2012
Helsinki
Looking like a really good draft for defenseman if we don't take one with a premium pick this year.

Specifically here are some RD of interest:

Also Jiri's son is in this draft and was a high pick in the USHL (LHD though)

How about the younger Jiricek? Do you think he's on a similar level with these guys?

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
How about the younger Jiricek? Do you think he's on a similar level with these guys?
Thought about putting Jiricek and Badinka on this list but I don’t know enough about the European guys to say.

I’ve heard some buzz on the younger Jiricek though.

Reactions: Kibe

Vector Cereal

Jan 30, 2020
I honestly don't see how much will be different from this year. Signing mid-tier UFA's will not move the needle enough to improve. Multiple big trades would need to be made to improve things.
It’s not a sure thing we move out of the bottom 10, but there’s a few reasons why I think we will.
1) We were outside the bottom 10 before selling Bert and Hronek, and I’m not sure anyone of their calibre is on the move this year even if we do sell at the deadline.
2) Mentioned above but Ed and Kasper should join the team and in Ed’s case at least shore up the brutal third pairing (or AlJo/Wallinder if Ed needs more time to recover).
3) Ray and Mo entering third season, which is when a lot of young stars transition from “good for a rookie” to just plain good. In a similar vein, Berggren, Ras, and Veleno have all been trending up and I have no reason to think they are done improving. At this point any Zadina improvement is found money for the lineup.
4) Signing a better backup goaltender will give us more rested Husso games and just better goalie play when he’s sitting.
5) Mo won’t spend half the season struggling with Chiarot.
6) Copp should have a healthy off-season of training.
7) Elmer, Mazur, and Kasper should all at least make a good challenge for roster spots.
8) Positive regression on injuries.
9) The division should be due for a shakeup with the Toronto and Boston situations.

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage
We need to put aside the avatar playin' and acquire Taylor Hall. 2 seasons left on his contract, he is our ticket to the #1 overall pick in one or both of the following seasons. We don't want him on Boston if they crater hard. At least not next year when the pick would be protected.

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
We need to put aside the avatar playin' and acquire Taylor Hall. 2 seasons left on his contract, he is our ticket to the #1 overall pick in one or both of the following seasons. We don't want him on Boston if they crater hard. At least not next year when the pick would be protected.
The trick is to keep him in Boston as we own their pick. He's contracted for two more seasons. This coming season he can trigger the protection and the following we get their unprotected 1st.

Reactions: Ulysses31

Voodoo Glow Skulls

Formerly Vatican Roulette
Sponsor
Sep 27, 2017
Thought about putting Jiricek and Badinka on this list but I don’t know enough about the European guys to say.

I’ve heard some buzz on the younger Jiricek though.

From what I can see, Adam Jiricek isn't as gifted as David. Still a good skill set.

Pazucha

Apr 3, 2023
Jiricek looked okay at W18 (Likely a first rounder), Chromiak had a poor showing at W18 but he joined the team after being sick for some time.

I liked Celebrini much more than Eiserman at the W18.

Holden Caufield

Oct 9, 2020
Ontario
Ivan Demidov looks like the next super skilled Russian star. Dude tore the MHL apart last year. Maybe not Michkov level, but looks like a really high pick.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Just so we don’t get our hearts broken as bad this year we should focus on the guys that are Draper picks.

Who is next year’s Cleveland or Phelan?
Can we unite on Simon Zether being the Swedish forward we like for next year?

Also think this draft is very good as far as Finnish defenseman and Swedish goalies go.

Not sure on that Cleveland/Phelan next year, too early to see who is looking that unimpressive.

HisNoodliness

The Karate Kid and ASP Kai
Jun 29, 2014
Toronto
Can we unite on Simon Zether being the Swedish forward we like for next year?

Also think this draft is very good as far as Finnish defenseman and Swedish goalies go.

Not sure on that Cleveland/Phelan next year, too early to see who is looking that unimpressive.
Yeah, I'm willing to hop aboard the Zether train

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad