2024 Draft Discussion

letsgowings9999

May 13, 2023
Most recent update has him at 5'11" 170 lbs. Raymond was listed at 5'10" 165 at the draft.

Kid has better WHL stats than Debrincat did in the OHL.
Weaker in the ohl no .... guess if hes close to 6 feet tall he can be worth a gamble. But if hes so good why would he be there??

I can see someone like the sabres taking a shot at jiricek so someone should drop to us at 15 we dont expect we dont expect.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
2 years running Detroit has picked the guy that I was on the bandwagon for (Kasper and Danielson). It's not like I'm saying to pick a guy ranked in the 3rd round with our 1st.
I’ll give you Kasper. I don’t think there was much of a Danielson bandwagon last year at all. Kasper is kinda eh for me (your boy Cossa jumped him in the prospect poll lol), so I’ll say I’m good on the Ogee bandwagon guys for a bit.

Also it’s a yearly tradition for us to view at least some of these players differently, or it wouldn’t be any fun :razz:

Voodoo Glow Skulls

Formerly Vatican Roulette
Sponsor
Sep 27, 2017
I’ll give you Kasper. I don’t think there was much of a Danielson bandwagon last year at all. Kasper is kinda eh for me (your boy Cossa jumped him in the prospect poll lol), so I’ll say I’m good on the Ogee bandwagon guys for a bit.

Also it’s a yearly tradition for us to view at least some of these players differently, or it wouldn’t be any fun :razz:

I was. Danielson and Gibson were my mock draft picks

Crunchy

Jan 27, 2020
Throw me on the MBN bandwagon as the realistic option, but curious if someone drops. Pretty intriguing draft with a lot of prospects that feel a bit more unpredictable than is typical.

Reactions: OgeeOgelthorpe

Astyanax

May 5, 2020
Zadina wasn't considered any more of a risk than any of the generic high-scoring CHL wingers who often go high in the Draft. He wasn't a great athlete, he wasn't a dazzling puck-handler though he had some moments, he just scored. On harmless looking plays the puck would find him and he'd score. His shot could beat Junior goalies. He looked great in international games where he was put in a prominent role by Czech coaches. I remember one good poster saying he could not figure out how Zadina did it, but it was a fact he could do it. At least in Junior. When it was the Wings' turn at the Draft, I remember the camera picked out Holland and he just kind of shrugged and smirked as if thinking, "Well, I guess we just have to take our next 40-goal scorer. Thank you all very much." There wasn't a whole lot to be apparently worried about and the initial fan reaction was pretty positive apart from those convinced Hughes should have been the pick.

That positivity changed for me when he showed up at the following training camp and wasn't fit enough to last through a scrimmage. He was bagged. In preseason games he was ludicrously unaware of how vulnerable he was to getting crushed. Eyes only for the puck, but slow, weak and clueless did not make a good impression. I figured he just needed to get serious about training, and he did get stronger, but he never got comfortable enough or frankly brave enough to do the same things in the NHL that he could do in Junior. There were flashes, but that was it.
To my recollection this all sounds right. I know a few were jonesing for Quinn, but I'm pretty sure it has been established that if we went D, we wanted dobson.

Astyanax

May 5, 2020
Ya sorry if I'm not overly excited over a smurf 30 goal scorer who will be gone in 3 years anyways

We ripped off the sens 100% , figured bruins would miss the playoffs but didnt. I still think we should add a 1st and get a connelly,parascak etc

If you told me we could replace debrincat in a package which included one of those players and have sam reinhart signed or keep debrincat 3 more years it's a no brainer for me
Ya, we got debrincat. Not my favorite, But petty good value. Just a little confused about the rest.??? Was Reinhart ever rumored here?? Or are you talking about adding him now. I beg you to be cautious, everyone seems to score like mad in Florida. Sam had several 25 seasons, but never hit 30. Come to Florida and it is suddenly 30, 30, 50+!!! I offer sam Bennet as a decent over all player as a solid counter. He never hit 20 goals, but comes to Florida and hits 30. So......,

Astyanax

May 5, 2020
This is why I wouldn't mind seeing SY packaging this pick along with whatever else was needed and attempt to pry away a 'quality' roster player from a rival (is Calgary a team worthy of poaching?).

How deep is this draft, how long will it be before we see this #15 pick make an impact in the NHL (if ever), and finally - is Larkin going to be playing in the NHL when Detroit has a legit chance to win the Cup?
I wasn't a big debrincat advocate, far from it, but the return was better than I expected. That being said, I really don't think we are in a place to be trading assets. Yes, we almost made the playoffs, and rightly should have, but not a true contender. I feel a team should only trade assets to put you over the top. We are not there yet, so unless something crazy falls into our lap, just make to pick. Never seek out a bad trade just because you don't love the options.

Astyanax

May 5, 2020
He wasn't the only player who disapeared then and after the season he remained as 3rd highest scorer. As for playoffs, we have 9 game sample size, he scored 6 points.

And that scenario remains very unrealistic. Bigger players who can score are hard to come by, only ones available are usually broken wrecks. Draft and trade seems to be the only options but no one is giving theirs.

I don't remember saying anything like that but you said "Wish we had that bruins 1st to move up and grab another forward."

In a re-draft Veleno would be picked in early/mid 20's, since Veleno 21st highest scoring player from 2018 draft class. And considering how similar this draft class and 2018 draft class is, it's more likely to find another Veleno than DeBrincat with that pick in this draft.

So Wings can pick a big bodied winger like MBN, Sennecke etc. and have already NHL proven DeBrincat as that "16-20th overall pick". And we don't have to wait 5-6 years to see that "16-20 overall pick" in our roster.

If the likes of Andy Copp can get 5.6 from the UFA markets, Reinhart can get 11 but most likely signs a similar deal like Tkachuk with Florida.
Yes, I'm sure someone will over pay for reinhart. And probably even worse than we did for copp. But I pray it's not us. Seriously look at the Florida effect. Sh@t, even Anthony duclair scored 30 there.

HisNoodliness

The Karate Kid and ASP Kai
Jun 29, 2014
Toronto
Would happily take any of those players ranked 10-15. Also not shocked MBN was not listed here, despite the love affair this board his with him for some reason.
I feel about MBN like I did about Cholowski the day after the draft. Not my favorite prospect, haven't seen him much, has some interesting qualities. But we had drafted Cholo so you might as well try to focus on the parts of his game that intrigue you. Our selection of MBN is such a foregone conclusion that we may as well start trying to focus on what we like.

• Haha

letsgowings9999

May 13, 2023
Ya, we got debrincat. Not my favorite, But petty good value. Just a little confused about the rest.??? Was Reinhart ever rumored here?? Or are you talking about adding him now. I beg you to be cautious, everyone seems to score like mad in Florida. Sam had several 25 seasons, but never hit 30. Come to Florida and it is suddenly 30, 30, 50+!!! I offer sam Bennet as a decent over all player as a solid counter. He never hit 20 goals, but comes to Florida and hits 30. So......,
Zero rumors just stated if we could deal debrincat and land pick 17 let's say and 100% guaranteed reinhart would sign here with the cap space we'd get from the deal I'd do it without a seconds thought

He had 25 goals in like 50ish games his last season buffalo. No doubt in my mind he'd get 30 goals 70 pts here + bigger body and brings more grit and is more physical which we need.

Anyways it's not happening, yzerman wouldn't deal to add another 1st ... was a hypothetical

letsgowings9999

May 13, 2023
To my recollection this all sounds right. I know a few were jonesing for Quinn, but I'm pretty sure it has been established that if we went D, we wanted dobson.
Yeah Noah Dobson was my pick that year but of course I didnt complain when zadina fell

Habs and arizona screwed us over that year lol we should have boucher hughes or Dobson on our team now

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
The Wings need a game breaker in a BAD way. However that player is with the highest potential of reaching that, however small it might be, that’s who they have to take

OldnotDeadWings

Sep 18, 2013

I think you're right about it coming out later that Dobson had been their D target. But any discontent about him not being picked was offset by Zadina almost universally being considered a top 3-4 guy, and also that Dobson didn't get taken until 12th OA.

Murmansk16A

Apr 29, 2022
The Wings need a game breaker in a BAD way. However that player is with the highest potential of reaching that, however small it might be, that’s who they have to take
Game breakers are generally players who don't play much defense. Our coach doesn't like such players, like Vrana, Sprong, Berggren. Why draft a guy your coach won't play?

Reactions: wings95 and lilidk

heyfolks

Apr 30, 2007
I would take Hage for Burger + 2nd. Burger needs a change in scenery just like Sprong did. He'll realize that wherever he goes the coach is gonna tell him the same damn thing.

I agree, but after being on the board for so long, I've learned some discussions, are just antagonistic for that sole purpose.

I think Burger is a NHL level talent, but he has to grow up. From what I read, he is a bit bitter with management (as you reference in your post). This doesn't pump up his value, which is why I want him to have a great post season (ulterior motive). A change of scenery for him and a solid center prospect in return.

OldnotDeadWings

Sep 18, 2013
Game breakers are generally players who don't play much defense. Our coach doesn't like such players, like Vrana, Sprong, Berggren. Why draft a guy your coach won't play?

Because the player you draft is going to be around longer than the coach you have. Lalonde is only relevant to the extent that he reflects what SY wants.

OgeeOgelthorpe

Sparkplug
Feb 29, 2020
I feel about MBN like I did about Cholowski the day after the draft. Not my favorite prospect, haven't seen him much, has some interesting qualities. But we had drafted Cholo so you might as well try to focus on the parts of his game that intrigue you. Our selection of MBN is such a foregone conclusion that we may as well start trying to focus on what we like.

Comparing a physical power winger with a great shot that has a mid 1st ranking to a defenseman that was softer than fresh goose shit on a rainy day that most outlets ranked in the 2nd? I do not understand this at all.

That is not true. Cat and Kane had adequate TOI. I'd exclude Vrana cuz he was rarely healthy. And maybe Berggren has another gear, but as of now neither him nor Sprong are game breakers. So the statement should be: our coach doesn't play guys a ton who he believes to be only offense, but don't bring enough offense to balance out their defensive deficiencies.

DoMakc

Jun 28, 2006
What did those players break? Vrana is out of hockey starting next season, Sprong is a journeyman, going to be on his 6th team in the last 7 years if he's lucky. Berggren is yet to break all together. Maybe the ones that break the game for their team by not playing defense?

I don't know what team you were watching last season, but that were not the same Red Wings i did watch - because i'd love to have less of those "game breakers" and more defensively responsible wingers.

OldnotDeadWings

Sep 18, 2013
Comparing a physical power winger with a great shot that has a mid 1st ranking to a defenseman that was softer than fresh goose shit on a rainy day that most outlets ranked in the 2nd? I do not understand this at all.

Te be fair, Cholo was showing up as a first-rounder on final rankings, 25th on McKenzie's NHL scouts list, 18th for McKeen's, first-rounder for Button and Hockey Prospect. Wasn't considered a huge reach as one of those proverbial "late risers", not as much as say Brendan Smith, who Central Scouting had I think as a late second-rounder just among NA prospects but got some buzz on McKenzie's final list. But yeah, soft as just how you described it and completely opposite as a prospect compared to the physically mature and willing MBN.

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
I have zero expectation of Lalonde being here another 2-3 years when the player would hopefully be ready

Reactions: Gniwder

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad