2024 Draft Discussion

Dotter

THE ATHLETIC IS GARBAGE
Jul 2, 2014
Imprisonment, TN
goo.gl

I think this is a kid that plays a very pro style game. All 3 zones, competitive, and plays a direct to-the-net game. Doesn't cheat for offense and probably has the best motor in the draft while having one of the better shots. I don't think he's got the kind of dynamic skill that Greentree or Connelly has in the same range, but I also think he's much more of a sure bet to make it. And I think he could make it to the NHL faster than them as an effective player.

In a lot of ways he reminds me of Marco Kasper or Nate Danielson as the safe pick where people question if whichever GM picks them made the right choice due to perceived upside of other guys. But I wouldn't be mad at this pick. He's definitely a player that you win ugly with rather than lose pretty.

This sounds like your prototypical Yzerman type pick with the 1st pick

This is why I wouldn't mind seeing SY packaging this pick along with whatever else was needed and attempt to pry away a 'quality' roster player from a rival (is Calgary a team worthy of poaching?).

How deep is this draft, how long will it be before we see this #15 pick make an impact in the NHL (if ever), and finally - is Larkin going to be playing in the NHL when Detroit has a legit chance to win the Cup?
Right. The approach to drafting imo should be: I wanna draft what I will not get on the open market/what will be insanely costly. You can get your hands on a player comparable to Nygard outside of the draft. He'll be older, but can help you right away (Compher-like production). So flipping the #15 together with Berggren and Maatta to make the numbers work, might be the play here.

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
Top 20 is good . Sure you can play it safe take nygaard and watch the guy you wanted explode somewhere else or you can say f*** it and take a chance . I'd rather the 2nd option

I'd much rather take a chance that my leaders in the locker room will help Connelly than take the safe pick. Time to knock it off with the safe s*it
Connelly in my do not draft list

RRhoads

Mar 10, 2015
Norway
Dude, if you want meltdown and top-notch entertainment in one: Go to the Habs draft thread and find the moment they leave Michkov on the board to pick Reinbacher. It is gloriuous :D :D :D
Could just go to any GDT on the Toronto boards where they lose. I visited one once, and it was so depressing that I had to leave halfway through the thread.

• Haha
Reactions: GoBoltz56

letsgowings9999

May 13, 2023
Berggren seems as though he'll get moved, or will be in GR while a member of this franchise - just doesn't seem to fit here for whatever the reason.

Not gonna hold my breath on the rest of the Red Wing prospects (outside of Ed) - just when you think we got sumthin - they don't turn out.
Berggrens days in grand rapids are over. The guy got 15 goals as a rookie on an awful team and has produced everywhere hes been and will have a cheap cap hit

Hes staying . Be idiotic to move him now when his value is low. Well I'm optimistic now that yzermans running the show and not holland.

Kasper,danielson,cossa,pelikka will at least be nhlers. The rest ? Who knows but we need someone like a Lombardi to go off in the ahl next season we have enough bottom 6 guys

letsgowings9999

May 13, 2023

Cause he did a dumb play and hit a guy against the board in a gold medal game and they lost. That and some stupid Lego pic shit he posted online that's supposedly racist when he was like 15-16, dont recall exactly what it was

I did stupid shit myself when I was younger, who cares as long as he didnt murder or rape someone. I think with the likes of danielson and kasper,seider,larkin will be fine in the leader department and they'd be able to help connelly if needed

The guy has elite talent which we lack and can be a potential steal at 15. I don't expect yzerman to take him but he should seriously consider it unless the guy is a serious douchebag during the interview process

Reactions: wings95

SantosHalper

Get off my lawn
Mar 21, 2012
somewhere around nothing
Dissapeared for 20 games when he was needed the most , small forward who will no doubt vanish as well in the post season
He wasn't the only player who disapeared then and after the season he remained as 3rd highest scorer. As for playoffs, we have 9 game sample size, he scored 6 points.
Again , my scenario would have reinhart whose a bigger player whose style of game we lack and can also score.
And that scenario remains very unrealistic. Bigger players who can score are hard to come by, only ones available are usually broken wrecks. Draft and trade seems to be the only options but no one is giving theirs.
Veleno Was drafted 30th I believe, was hoping for a 16-20 slot. Veleno also fell during his draft class and I guess we now know why. Berggren was my pick which we got anyways

Whoever said I was dealing debrincat for pick 30 and that's it? My scenario was to get a high enough pick to get a connelly parascak nygaard etc... AND have reinhart as a wing.
I don't remember saying anything like that but you said "Wish we had that bruins 1st to move up and grab another forward."

In a re-draft Veleno would be picked in early/mid 20's, since Veleno 21st highest scoring player from 2018 draft class. And considering how similar this draft class and 2018 draft class is, it's more likely to find another Veleno than DeBrincat with that pick in this draft.

So Wings can pick a big bodied winger like MBN, Sennecke etc. and have already NHL proven DeBrincat as that "16-20th overall pick". And we don't have to wait 5-6 years to see that "16-20 overall pick" in our roster.
And I doubt reinhart gets 11+
If the likes of Andy Copp can get 5.6 from the UFA markets, Reinhart can get 11 but most likely signs a similar deal like Tkachuk with Florida.

wings95

Mar 17, 2009
Georgia
Cause he did a dumb play and hit a guy against the board in a gold medal game and they lost. That and some stupid Lego pic shit he posted online that's supposedly racist when he was like 15-16, dont recall exactly what it was

I did stupid shit myself when I was younger, who cares as long as he didnt murder or rape someone. I think with the likes of danielson and kasper,seider,larkin will be fine in the leader department and they'd be able to help connelly if needed

The guy has elite talent which we lack and can be a potential steal at 15. I don't expect yzerman to take him but he should seriously consider it unless the guy is a serious douchebag during the interview process
I'm read about that incident and watched that game. Hopefully he has grown from it. Maybe the incident is or was overblown? He is a talented offensive player. The he Wings need more of that IMO. Probably not an Yzetman pick. Wr shall see

Reactions: letsgowings9999

letsgowings9999

May 13, 2023
He wasn't the only player who disapeared then and after the season he remained as 3rd highest scorer. As for playoffs, we have 9 game sample size, he scored 6 points.

And that scenario remains very unrealistic. Bigger players who can score are hard to come by, only ones available are usually broken wrecks. Draft and trade seems to be the only options but no one is giving theirs.

I don't remember saying anything like that but you said "Wish we had that bruins 1st to move up and grab another forward."

In a re-draft Veleno would be picked in early/mid 20's, since Veleno 21st highest scoring player from 2018 draft class. And considering how similar this draft class and 2018 draft class is, it's more likely to find another Veleno than DeBrincat with that pick in this draft.

So Wings can pick a big bodied winger like MBN, Sennecke etc. and have already NHL proven DeBrincat as that "16-20th overall pick". And we don't have to wait 5-6 years to see that "16-20 overall pick" in our roster.

If the likes of Andy Copp can get 5.6 from the UFA markets, Reinhart can get 11 but most likely signs a similar deal like Tkachuk with Florida.

He wasn't the only one who dissapeared, so that's the excuse ? Hes making 8 million hes suppose to be a go to guy and some big scorer he cant disappear for 20 games

hes not the only one who dissapeared? That's the excuse ? Hes making 8 mill to be some big goal scorer , he cant dissapear for 20 games.

Veleno is garbage. Dont know if he'd be mid 20s in a redraft, I'd have to recheck but the guys a 4th liner. I'd much rather have berggren ahead of veleno

Who says this draft and the 2018 one is similar ?? Id say the top 20 overall will be better than that year. Got higher Hope's than a 4th line veleno type talent at pick 15

5-6 year wait?? I dont know too many top 20 picks that show up at 23-24 years old. I dont see anything wrong with having both guys you mentioned... debrincat will gone in 3 years anyways and by the looks of it sadly some ppl will have a meltdown

I'm read about that incident and watched that game. Hopefully he has grown from it. Maybe the incident is or was overblown? He is a talented offensive player. The he Wings need more of that IMO. Probably not an Yzetman pick. Wr shall see
Ya we definetly need to add elite skilled forwards and cant pass up on someone like him cause some guy will for sure be a 3rd liner

SantosHalper

Get off my lawn
Mar 21, 2012
somewhere around nothing
Veleno is garbage. Dont know if he'd be mid 20s in a redraft, I'd have to recheck but the guys a 4th liner. I'd much rather have berggren ahead of veleno
Exactly my point, this is not DeBrincat or "Reinhart"-question, this is DeBrincat or Veleno-question.
Who says this draft and the 2018 one is similar ?? Id say the top 20 overall will be better than that year. Got higher Hope's than a 4th line veleno type talent at pick 15
When was the last time 1st round was this defenseman heavy? 2018 and i'd say after 17-18 overall the talent level drops, rest of them 2nd round talents in a good year. At 15 Wings will get a good middle-6 player.
5-6 year wait?? I dont know too many top 20 picks that show up at 23-24 years old. I dont see anything wrong with having both guys you mentioned...
I phrase it poorly, i meant that it takes 5-6 years until that player really thrives in NHL. Im in MBN bandwagon and i believe he will be a good player for a long time. But trusting on that we can get a top UFA forward and possible a 60-70 point player with a 16-20 overall pick will lead us nowhere. Even if Cat disappeared for 20 games, he was nearly a 70 point guy.

letsgowings9999

May 13, 2023
Exactly my point, this is not DeBrincat or "Reinhart"-question, this is DeBrincat or Veleno-question.

When was the last time 1st round was this defenseman heavy? 2018 and i'd say after 17-18 overall the talent level drops, rest of them 2nd round talents in a good year. At 15 Wings will get a good middle-6 player.

I phrase it poorly, i meant that it takes 5-6 years until that player really thrives in NHL. Im in MBN bandwagon and i believe he will be a good player for a long time. But trusting on that we can get a top UFA forward and possible a 60-70 point player with a 16-20 overall pick will lead us nowhere. Even if Cat disappeared for 20 games, he was nearly a 70 point guy.
It's never been veleno debrincat. I always said I'd trade debrincat for a 1st if we had another high name player coming in. I said I'd deal walman for that 1st,not dealing debrincat for pick 19

There will be group 6 guys in the 15 to 30 range that come out . it's our job to find one. We'll get a middle 6 guy if we wuss out on guys like eiserman connelly if available . Anyone actually think an eiserman larkin raymond line would be a fail

Like nygaard but again I'm going for someone with elite ceiling

It will lead us nowhere ? Like not making the playoffs nowhere? Who cares if he got like 70 pts he vanished when he was needed the most which cost us in the end. Everyone says yzerman wont take connelly or eiserman type cause hes not an yzerman type of player. I'm pretty sure he doesn't like a touted goal scorer vanishing for 20 game stretches either. Theres a reason he didnt get 8 years . He'll be gone when were in our cup window

SantosHalper

Get off my lawn
Mar 21, 2012
somewhere around nothing
It's never been veleno debrincat. I always said I'd trade debrincat for a 1st if we had another high name player coming in. I said I'd deal walman for that 1st,not dealing debrincat for pick 19

There will be group 6 guys in the 15 to 30 range that come out . it's our job to find one. We'll get a middle 6 guy if we wuss out on guys like eiserman connelly if available . Anyone actually think an eiserman larkin raymond line would be a fail

Like nygaard but again I'm going for someone with elite ceiling

It will lead us nowhere ? Like not making the playoffs nowhere? Who cares if he got like 70 pts he vanished when he was needed the most which cost us in the end. Everyone says yzerman wont take connelly or eiserman type cause hes not an yzerman type of player. I'm pretty sure he doesn't like a touted goal scorer vanishing for 20 game stretches either. Theres a reason he didnt get 8 years . He'll be gone when were in our cup window
"Wish we had that bruins 1st to move up and grab another forward ." That's how this conversation got started and i pointed out, that already happen. DeBrincat is that forward. He's smaller, older, proven NHL player version of Eiserman. Or should we say that Eiserman is next DeBrincat. Eiserman-Larkin-Raymond is basically the same line as DeBrincat-Larkin-Raymond. Im starting to sense strong case of grass is gneener-syndrome.

Group 6 of what? Veleno's or elite ceiling players? That Bruins pick was put to use when we acquired Cat, we didn't need to find him.

And the reason why Cat didn't get 8 years is because Yzerman doesn't hand them out like candy. Stamkos, Hedman and Larkin seems to be the only ones so far.

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
"Wish we had that bruins 1st to move up and grab another forward ." That's how this conversation got started and i pointed out, that already happen. DeBrincat is that forward. He's smaller, older, proven NHL player version of Eiserman. Or should we say that Eiserman is next DeBrincat. Eiserman-Larkin-Raymond is basically the same line as DeBrincat-Larkin-Raymond. Im starting to sense strong case of grass is gneener-syndrome.

Group 6 of what? Veleno's or elite ceiling players? That Bruins pick was put to use when we acquired Cat, we didn't need to find him.

And the reason why Cat didn't get 8 years is because Yzerman doesn't hand them out like candy. Stamkos, Hedman and Larkin seems to be the only ones so far.
Cat is smarter hockey player

GarlicbreadTB

Apr 16, 2015
Dude, if you want meltdown and top-notch entertainment in one: Go to the Habs draft thread and find the moment they leave Michkov on the board to pick Reinbacher. It is gloriuous :D :D :D

Heh. I just wanted a refresher ahead of the next draft when people complain about Yzerman and co's picks again when the track record so far has been very good in the 1st round!

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
Heh. I just wanted a refresher ahead of the next draft when people complain about Yzerman and co's picks again when the track record so far has been very good in the 1st round!
Seider - high floor, uncertain upside
Raymond -Best available prospect
Edvinsson, same as Seider
Cossa, same as Seider
Kasper , same as Seider
Danielson, same as Seider
ASP , higher potential , but he was our second pick

OgeeOgelthorpe

Sparkplug
Feb 29, 2020
Perfetti fan club in 2020
Eklund/Wallstedt in 2021 ( @OgeeOgelthorpe rare upset I noticed haha)
Savoie in 2022
Dvorsky/Moore/Benson in 2023

I was very high on Eklund. Still am. I think he could break out and become the kind of player we saw Raymond become this year.

That said, I'm pretty happy with Edvinsson after seeing the improvements to his game. I think he's more likely to become a mean Hampus Lindholm more than a mean Victor Hedman though.

OgeeOgelthorpe

Sparkplug
Feb 29, 2020
This sounds like your prototypical Yzerman type pick with the 1st pick

That's the other reason why I think he'll end up in Detroit if he's available at 15.

Also, Skelleftea is turning itself into a really good development program in the SHL. That will be a good place for him to improve his game, and it allows him to play with ASP and learn from the Nicks.

OgeeOgelthorpe

Sparkplug
Feb 29, 2020
This is why I wouldn't mind seeing SY packaging this pick along with whatever else was needed and attempt to pry away a 'quality' roster player from a rival (is Calgary a team worthy of poaching?).

How deep is this draft, how long will it be before we see this #15 pick make an impact in the NHL (if ever), and finally - is Larkin going to be playing in the NHL when Detroit has a legit chance to win the Cup?

Not a very deep draft. In my opinion it's the worst draft since 2018, which was also a thin at center, defense-heavy draft.

That draft had zero forwards of consequence drafted after #14 in that first round. I wouldn't be surprised to see that happen with this draft. I'm really hoping I'm wrong since we're picking at #15 and it doesn't look like Yzerman is going to trade

GarlicbreadTB

Apr 16, 2015
I was very high on Eklund. Still am. I think he could break out and become the kind of player we saw Raymond become this year.

That said, I'm pretty happy with Edvinsson after seeing the improvements to his game. I think he's more likely to become a mean Hampus Lindholm more than a mean Victor Hedman though.

Haha it's all good! You're a level headed poster compared to the regular negative nancy's that show up now and then.

Reactions: OgeeOgelthorpe

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad