2024 Draft Discussion

letsgowings9999

May 13, 2023
Technically we did, Alex DeBrincat.
Ya sorry if I'm not overly excited over a smurf 30 goal scorer who will be gone in 3 years anyways

We ripped off the sens 100% , figured bruins would miss the playoffs but didnt. I still think we should add a 1st and get a connelly,parascak etc

If you told me we could replace debrincat in a package which included one of those players and have sam reinhart signed or keep debrincat 3 more years it's a no brainer for me

• Wow
Reactions: wings95

SantosHalper

Get off my lawn
Mar 21, 2012
somewhere around nothing
Ya sorry if I'm not overly excited over a smurf 30 goal scorer who will be gone in 3 years anyways

We ripped off the sens 100% , figured bruins would miss the playoffs but didnt. I still think we should add a 1st and get a connelly,parascak etc

If you told me we could replace debrincat in a package which included one of those players and have sam reinhart signed or keep debrincat 3 more years it's a no brainer for me
Waiting for a certain UFA has always worked out well in the past and it's gonna take 3-4 years before anyone in this draft classes late 1st round picks hit NHL. And another couple years before they start thriving, if they ever will. By that time Cat has scored 162 goals, if just keeps up 27 goal pace.

letsgowings9999

May 13, 2023
Waiting for a certain UFA has always worked out well in the past and it's gonna take 3-4 years before anyone in this draft classes late 1st round picks hit NHL. And another couple years before they start thriving, if they ever will. By that time Cat has scored 162 goals, if just keeps up 27 goal pace.
It's not waiting ... in this hypothetical scenario I mentioned we get him I'd much rather have that option

Seems everyone forgot debrincat dissapeared for 20 games when we needed him the most. It's ok though he got a few goals at the end.

Anyways hes not getting traded so no one has to worry. Enjoy the 3 years

RedHawkDown

still trying to trust the yzerplan
Aug 26, 2011
Canada
Re-sharing this great write-up from Brock Otten since there is some Senecke talk going on here:

I think this is all fair but Sennecke has addressed many of the faults listed in this article over the last few months. His game has improved at a crazy rate.

Hughes Hefner

May 12, 2018
I think this is all fair but Sennecke has addressed many of the faults listed in this article over the last few months. His game has improved at a crazy rate.
The kid had a crazy growth spurt and it takes time to adjust to that. Seems like the reason he's a bit of a late bloomer. He's going to add more weight to his frame and get stronger, he also has a really long reach

Reactions: RedHawkDown

SantosHalper

Get off my lawn
Mar 21, 2012
somewhere around nothing
It's not waiting ... in this hypothetical scenario I mentioned we get him I'd much rather have that option

Seems everyone forgot debrincat dissapeared for 20 games when we needed him the most. It's ok though he got a few goals at the end.

Anyways hes not getting traded so no one has to worry. Enjoy the 3 years
Classic sniper, hot and cold streaks are always involved. But Cat is 3rd highest scoring player in his draft class, only behind Matthews and Tkachuk. It's highly unlikely that in any scenario Wings would get a similar player from this draft.

And that particular player won't be able to help Detroit in years, where Cat can and considering where Raymond is heading, Cat's numbers should increase.

With that pick it's more realistic to find another Veleno, in that scenario would you rather have Cat or another Veleno? And that scenario is way more realistic than Reinhart to Wings scenario, UFA Reinhart would cost what, 11-12 mill a year? After that eventually Wings would have to find cap room to re-sign Edvinsson, ASP, Kasper, Danielson, Cossa, Augustine. In addition to Larkin, Ray and Seider.

ShanahanMan

Jan 31, 2009
Tokyo, Japan
Really hoping for a good draft. We desperately need some solid picks. We literally only have 4 good homegrown players- Larkin, Ed, Seider and Raymond.

OgeeOgelthorpe

Sparkplug
Feb 29, 2020
Does that video sell you on him? Cause not me.

Also didn’t even know this guy was still making videos.

I think this is a kid that plays a very pro style game. All 3 zones, competitive, and plays a direct to-the-net game. Doesn't cheat for offense and probably has the best motor in the draft while having one of the better shots. I don't think he's got the kind of dynamic skill that Greentree or Connelly has in the same range, but I also think he's much more of a sure bet to make it. And I think he could make it to the NHL faster than them as an effective player.

In a lot of ways he reminds me of Marco Kasper or Nate Danielson as the safe pick where people question if whichever GM picks them made the right choice due to perceived upside of other guys. But I wouldn't be mad at this pick. He's definitely a player that you win ugly with rather than lose pretty.

Like what I'm hearing, but don't love it. We have a lot of prospects that project in the top 9. This sounds like another one. Sounds a lot like Kasper. We can't "motor" and "work ethic" ourselves to the cup. It's time to go for ceiling and f***-me-sideways-skill imo. So I'd much rather take a shot at Greentree for example.

OgeeOgelthorpe

Sparkplug
Feb 29, 2020
Like what I'm hearing, but don't love it. We have a lot of prospects that project in the top 9. This sounds like another one. We can't "motor" and "work ethic" ourselves to the cup. It's time to go for ceiling and f***-me-sideways-skill imo. So I'd much rather take a shot at Greentree for example.

I think I'm 50/50 between MBN and Greentree. They both have elements to their game that I really appreciate. Greentree is very creative, very slick, and has a wicked shot. MBN plays a very mature, two-way style, is pretty physical for his age in a mens league, and also has a wicked shot.

Reactions: Realgud

schuelma24

Jul 14, 2023
I think I'm 50/50 between MBN and Greentree. They both have elements to their game that I really appreciate. Greentree is very creative, very slick, and has a wicked shot. MBN plays a very mature, two-way style, is pretty physical for his age in a mens league, and also has a wicked shot.

Greentree isn't a good skater and underwhelmed at the U18's. I'm very skeptical.

Fyodorov

Apr 20, 2021
Like what I'm hearing, but don't love it. We have a lot of prospects that project in the top 9. This sounds like another one. Sounds a lot like Kasper. We can't "motor" and "work ethic" ourselves to the cup. It's time to go for ceiling and f***-me-sideways-skill imo. So I'd much rather take a shot at Greentree for example.

You will get the gritty, defensively responsible prospect that tilts the ice and you will like it. Ice gonna be so titled everyone is trying to skate uphill.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010

I think this is a kid that plays a very pro style game. All 3 zones, competitive, and plays a direct to-the-net game. Doesn't cheat for offense and probably has the best motor in the draft while having one of the better shots. I don't think he's got the kind of dynamic skill that Greentree or Connelly has in the same range, but I also think he's much more of a sure bet to make it. And I think he could make it to the NHL faster than them as an effective player.

In a lot of ways he reminds me of Marco Kasper or Nate Danielson as the safe pick where people question if whichever GM picks them made the right choice due to perceived upside of other guys. But I wouldn't be mad at this pick. He's definitely a player that you win ugly with rather than lose pretty.

I think we will have better options at pick #15. If they pick him, I’ll hope for the best. I’m encouraged by how he finished this year. But I don’t know he will get picked as high as people have him on this site. Most places I have seen have him in the 20’s. Will have to see where he is on Bob’s full final list.

OgeeOgelthorpe

Sparkplug
Feb 29, 2020
I think we will have better options at pick #15. If they pick him, I’ll hope for the best. I’m encouraged by how he finished this year. But I don’t know he will get picked as high as people have him on this site. Most places I have seen have him in the 20’s. Will have to see where he is on Bob’s full final list.

At forward? Like who? This draft is paper thin at forward in the first.

What is your realistic expectation for who Detroit picks at 15 this year? You seem pretty reasonable so I don't think you're foolish enough to expect an 70+ point guy. This just isn't the draft for forwards. A 2-way, 50 point guy is solid for #15 in any draft year and that's about what I expect Detroit to grab, and what I think we safely get out of MBN.

Reactions: SantosHalper

heyfolks

Apr 30, 2007
Hage wont be there at 36 but for the sake of argument I'd rather deal a 2026 2nd to move up to accomplish your wet dream lol

Unlike some ppl I dont believe berggren is garbage and I'm not giving him up to move up 10 spots in the 2nd round

Oh you are one of those. I NEVER said Hage would be there at 36, BOB MACKENZIE has him ranked at 36. One more time, and I will type this slowly..... using HIS rankings is how I came up with a plan to raft both players. FYI: Not sure if you base this on your life, but my wet dreams do not include males. Further, unless it is Katarina Witt ice nor skate are part of the equation.

As for Johnny Burger. I never said he was garbage. I like the guy. However, some rumors are he wants to move on. His contract is up this year and the Wings need players up the middle. a 2nd in 26 is good for 36 but since he won't be there, it may take someone like JB to get the deal done.

Now, try and relax. It's the off season. We are all just moving around pieces and 99% of us, you included, will be WRONG.

McKenzie is an idiot, and Hage will go much earlier. If for whatever reason Hage is still available at #36, you trade for that pick with whatever draft pick and spare parts you have for sure.

No, the lottery rule is that you cannot advance more than twice in any 5 year period.

No argument on BM, just using him to make the point in the two players I covet in the draft. A trade with the Wings 2nd and Berrgren would move up much higher than 36.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad