2024 Draft Discussion

Dotter

THE ATHLETIC IS GARBAGE
Jul 2, 2014
Imprisonment, TN
goo.gl
You didn't think Zadina had a high floor back when he was drafted? I mean I know hindsight is 20/20, but I feel like that's exactly what he was thought to be and was the reason why teams started to pass on him.

I always thought Zadina was a boom or bust. I was semi-excited when Holland picked him and shocked he didn't pick Hughes. I always give the benefit of doubt to professional staffers in the NHL and thought they made the right choice. Man o man did KH make a fool of me!

I want a re-do.

Reactions: Sparty

Dotter

THE ATHLETIC IS GARBAGE
Jul 2, 2014
Imprisonment, TN
goo.gl
Pushed for kasper for months , love the kid not know about high floor on those guys. We need guys to put up big numbers since were seriously lacking

Maybe we'll luck out with danielson being a ppg player. 30-40 goal guys on the top 6 seem like high floor to me. Hes not a great 2 way guy but put him next to a danielson and another similar winger I see np

Not saying I'm 100% on eiserman with our pick yet but definetly wouldn't object.

Kasper was always dubbed as a bonafide 3rd or 4th line forward with hopes he could become a poor man Hyman or Couture.

Listen to old podcast scouting reports before the draft. Kasper was going to be a sure fire NHLer. Question was... what line and how much or little will he score.

Same with Danielson. He could step in right now and beat Joe Veleno out of a job.

letsgowings9999

May 13, 2023
Kasper was always dubbed as a bonafide 3rd or 4th line forward with hopes he could become a poor man Hyman or Couture.

Listen to old podcast scouting reports before the draft. Kasper was going to be a sure fire NHLer. Question was... what line and how much or little will he score.
Lol i dont know who these podcast ppl were but I was pushing for kasper as our pick for months

Always thought he had more upside than ppl thought and played a style of game we needed,especially in the playoffs when it matters. Def better than a mediocre bottom liner

Now we need to add guys with pure skill that can get 75-90 if were lucky and they hit. As much as I like a nygaard dont think hes one of those

Dotter

THE ATHLETIC IS GARBAGE
Jul 2, 2014
Imprisonment, TN
goo.gl
Lol i dont know who these podcast ppl were but I was pushing for kasper as our pick for months

Always thought he had more upside than ppl thought and played a style of game we needed,especially in the playoffs when it matters. Def better than a mediocre bottom liner

Now we need to add guys with pure skill that can get 75-90 if were lucky and they hit. As much as I like a nygaard dont think hes one of those

F.L.O.O.R

Not trying to be rude, but do you know what floor means?

Kasper was a safe pick. Zadina was not a safe pick, but had a high ceiling. I was hoping Zadina was what Raymond is becoming.

letsgowings9999

May 13, 2023
F.L.O.O.R

Not trying to be rude, but do you know what floor means?

Kasper was a safe pick. Zadina was not a safe pick, but had a high ceiling. I was hoping Zadina was what Raymond is becoming.
Everyone hoped zadina would be amazing . Oh well

letsgowings9999

May 13, 2023
Yzerman's M.O. is to use his first round pick on high floor players. ASP (17th) and Cossa (15th) are the exception, but weren't his 1st pick.

I'd wager Yzerman doesn't deviate from his drafting style. I don't see Eiserman being on SFY's list for his first pick.
He drafted kasper and danielson who arent projected to be elite guys who can be consistently on the top of the scoring race. Cossa was taken cause we desperately needed goaltending in our pipeline and we had 2 1sts. Had to be done

The most yzerman pick would be nygaard. We need elite talent to surround those good 2 way guys, likely doesn't happen but eiserman scoring 30-40 goals is nothing to sneeze at

Eiserman larkin raymond
Eiserman danielson ?

Ppl might be mad at first but dont think they'd complain a few years later. Either way he needs to take a gamble on 1st line talent and not sure nhlers

Reactions: Konnan511

OgeeOgelthorpe

Sparkplug
Feb 29, 2020
He drafted kasper and danielson who arent projected to be elite guys who can be consistently on the top of the scoring race. Cossa was taken cause we desperately needed goaltending in our pipeline and we had 2 1sts. Had to be done

The most yzerman pick would be nygaard. We need elite talent to surround those good 2 way guys, likely doesn't happen but eiserman scoring 30-40 goals is nothing to sneeze at

Eiserman larkin raymond
Eiserman danielson ?

Ppl might be mad at first but dont think they'd complain a few years later. Either way he needs to take a gamble on 1st line talent and not sure nhlers

I'd rather have Greentree or MBN.

MBN is more physical, realgud skater, terrific motor and has a very underrated shot. I can easily see him becoming a 50+ point modern power winger with very underrated skill. Not sure if that's the prime floor or ceiling, though.

Greentree is incredibly skilled. One of the top 5 stickhandlers in the drafts, top 5 passers in the draft, and top 3 shots in the draft. But his skating needs some cleaning up. He could be anything from Owen Tippett, Alex Tuch or the next Jason Robertson. Or he could outright bust, though I think that's less likely.

Eiserman looks like he has high bust potential. There were motor concerns mentioned as well. He's smallest of the three. And draft fallers don't usually turn into something special with few exceptions.

Dotter

THE ATHLETIC IS GARBAGE
Jul 2, 2014
Imprisonment, TN
goo.gl

Eiserman larkin raymond
Eiserman danielson ?

Eiserman is a poor skating, passenger with poor work ethics. That's not someone Yzerman is selecting with his first pick. Maybe his 3rd rounder...

letsgowings9999

May 13, 2023
I'd rather have Greentree or MBN.

MBN is more physical, realgud skater, terrific motor and has a very underrated shot. I can easily see him becoming a 50+ point modern power winger with very underrated skill. Not sure if that's the prime floor or ceiling, though.

Greentree is incredibly skilled. One of the top 5 stickhandlers in the drafts, top 5 passers in the draft, and top 3 shots in the draft. But his skating needs some cleaning up. He could be anything from Owen Tippett, Alex Tuch or the next Jason Robertson. Or he could outright bust, though I think that's less likely.

Eiserman looks like he has high bust potential. There were motor concerns mentioned as well. He's smallest of the three. And draft fallers don't usually turn into something special with few exceptions.
I like both of the guys you mentioned. Would have loved them 2 weeks ago more than I like parascak's potential or Connelly's despite his f*** up

If they bust they bust. Same with eiserman who's compared to caufield. I've heard mixed reports on him that hes improving his 2 way. If he doesn't and can get me 35 goals I'm not too bothered

Again wouldnt be upset if we got those guys you mentioned but it would be a little predictable imo. I want to take a massive swing with the pick or even better trade up and secure a sennecke or whomever.

We have a deep pool, we can afford to lose a 2nd and 3rd(doesn't have to be all this draft) to move up 4 spots if we have someone as our #4 prospect on our list and is there at 11

Eiserman is a poor skating, passenger with poor work ethics. That's not someone Yzerman is selecting with his first pick. Maybe his 3rd rounder...
3rd rounder ... we got a comedian here

• Haha
Reactions: wings95

Hawaiibros

May 18, 2017
He’ll no. Eiserman is a good skater, and will only get better. I watched him play vs MSU aka guys 4-5 years older than him, and he didn’t play his best game, but when he was on, he was the 2nd best player on the ice behind Levshunov. Eiserman was USNDTPs mackinnon with the zone entries and he got through most of the time. You don’t get special players like him at 15.

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010

the funny thing is we all know that if he did end up taking him you'd be spamming in every related thread both here and on the main boards that it was a genius move like you do for literally everything Yzerman does

Roomba With a Bauer

Sep 11, 2007
Eisermann is a boom/bust guy, and if he hits he could be a monster in the NHL within a few years.
I'd love him at 15.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
IMG_6255.png

Astyanax

May 5, 2020
Yzerman is going to select someone with a high floor (Seider, Kasper, Danielson). I don't see Eiserman as that guy. He's a high risk/high reward... aka Zadina.
Sadly, I don't think most people saw him as all that high a risk. Most professional mochs had him at three. I wasn't the biggest fan, but at 6, I was happy to take him. Going into the draft Bouchard was my choice.
Upon further reflection, my true hope in that draft was actully dobson. But again I thought it was great when Z fell to us. 😔

Last edited:
Reactions: lilidk

OldnotDeadWings

Sep 18, 2013
Zadina wasn't considered any more of a risk than any of the generic high-scoring CHL wingers who often go high in the Draft. He wasn't a great athlete, he wasn't a dazzling puck-handler though he had some moments, he just scored. On harmless looking plays the puck would find him and he'd score. His shot could beat Junior goalies. He looked great in international games where he was put in a prominent role by Czech coaches. I remember one good poster saying he could not figure out how Zadina did it, but it was a fact he could do it. At least in Junior. When it was the Wings' turn at the Draft, I remember the camera picked out Holland and he just kind of shrugged and smirked as if thinking, "Well, I guess we just have to take our next 40-goal scorer. Thank you all very much." There wasn't a whole lot to be apparently worried about and the initial fan reaction was pretty positive apart from those convinced Hughes should have been the pick.

That positivity changed for me when he showed up at the following training camp and wasn't fit enough to last through a scrimmage. He was bagged. In preseason games he was ludicrously unaware of how vulnerable he was to getting crushed. Eyes only for the puck, but slow, weak and clueless did not make a good impression. I figured he just needed to get serious about training, and he did get stronger, but he never got comfortable enough or frankly brave enough to do the same things in the NHL that he could do in Junior. There were flashes, but that was it.

Reactions: Astyanax

wingfan

Jul 1, 2012
Zadina wasn't considered any more of a risk than any of the generic high-scoring CHL wingers who often go high in the Draft. He wasn't a great athlete, he wasn't a dazzling puck-handler though he had some moments, he just scored. On harmless looking plays the puck would find him and he'd score. His shot could beat Junior goalies. He looked great in international games where he was put in a prominent role by Czech coaches. I remember one good poster saying he could not figure out how Zadina did it, but it was a fact he could do it. At least in Junior. When it was the Wings' turn at the Draft, I remember the camera picked out Holland and he just kind of shrugged and smirked as if thinking, "Well, I guess we just have to take our next 40-goal scorer. Thank you all very much." There wasn't a whole lot to be apparently worried about and the initial fan reaction was pretty positive apart from those convinced Hughes should have been the pick.

That positivity changed for me when he showed up at the following training camp and wasn't fit enough to last through a scrimmage. He was bagged. In preseason games he was ludicrously unaware of how vulnerable he was to getting crushed. Eyes only for the puck, but slow, weak and clueless did not make a good impression. I figured he just needed to get serious about training, and he did get stronger, but he never got comfortable enough or frankly brave enough to do the same things in the NHL that he could do in Junior. There were flashes, but that was it.

I remember watching him in that first season with the Griffins thinking man, he always seems to be one step behind the play. A great hockey player and one that is projected to be the 3rd or 4th overall pick in the NHL draft projected to be an elite scoring winger should at least have enough hockey IQ to predict the flow of the play and get to the soft spots on the ice, but he could never do that, even at the AHL level. He scored some goals, but was pretty underwhelming for a prospect of his pedigree at that level of hockey.. By all accounts, second guessing that pick does nothing because every single team drafting BPA at #6 picks him there 10/10 times. It is disappointing to see that Hughes, Bouchard, and Dobson, all guys any of us would've been more than happy with at 6, have become excellent to elite players, but hindsight is 20/20..

Reactions: OldnotDeadWings

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit
I feel that way too, he's really shining right now.

I'm not a huge Parascak guy in the top 15 (solid, but I see more of a middle 6 scorer there). I honestly wonder if all these teams ignore Catton and he falls to us. I thought he was a lock top 5 pick with his skill but if these teams are silly enough to let him fall... Give him to us as hopefully this year's Benson.
Someone has to fall for others to rise though

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Speaking of late risers I could see the Wings being a big fan of, I think Jett Luchanko fits that as well.

Was great at the U18s and helped neutralize Hagens. So you can get ready for those Bedard saying Danielson was hard to play against stories again this year, just with new names.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad