2024 Draft Discussion

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012
Gibson is like another Sambrook or Regula in my eyes. I didn’t think he was a top 50 player last year because of a lack of an offensive game. Not sure how what he has done this year changes that. SSM scores a lot of goals as a team.

Augustine is the only 2nd rounder from last year I have some real hope in, and he has an uphill battle at his size. You see with Devon Levi how hard it is to jump to the pro game despite being a really good college goalie. Similar story with Dustin Wolf.
I have zero issues with Gibson in the 2nd. His profile (and the profile of Sambrook (who you liked) and Regula) is exactly what you should be looking for in the second and third rounds. Cleveland was obviously overdrafted. That dead horse is still dead and doesn't need to be beaten anymore.

Holden Caufield

Oct 9, 2020
Ontario
Gibson has done nothing to make that pick look bad, 6'4 RHD who can skate, whats not to like? Augustine looks like a really good pick.

I have zero issues with Gibson in the 2nd. His profile (and the profile of Sambrook (who you liked) and Regula) is exactly what you should be looking for in the second and third rounds. Cleveland was obviously overdrafted. That dead horse is still dead and doesn't need to be beaten anymore.

Gibson is an underrated prospect. I had him tagged as a 1st rounder. That pick had me more excited than any other pick Detroit made last draft (relative to draft position/available players).

I have no worries about Gibson. Only praise for the pick. He has a presence on the ice when you watch him live. He is listed at 6’4”, but it seems like he is 6’8”. He is always right there and taking up so much space. It’s a combination of his mobility, elite awareness and confidence that make him seem even bigger.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
That's fair, I may just be being a bit jaded today... :laugh:

DoMakc

Jun 28, 2006
If they wanted to pass on Reily Heidt, fine I get that. Although I think that is kind of the perfect flawed player gamble to take when you have three 2nd round picks in hand.

That said, I thought there were some other guys available that were better options last year that weren't "small skillish wingers". I would have been a lot more happy with a guy like Danny Nelson, I think he has a lot more upside than who we took. I am still kind of surprised he is someone who was not higher on our board.

Hell, I probably would have taken any of those 7 players that got picked after Cleveland over anyone we took in round 2.

We will see how things go from here. I was expecting less conservative drafting than I have seen from Yzerman so far. For as much crap as I gave Holland towards the end, I think prior to Tyler Wright he had a strategy for rounds 2-4 that I very much agreed with. Frk, Jurco, Sproul, XO, AA, Jarnkrok, Tatar, Nyquist, Janmark, Pukkinen, Saarijarvi. Even if those picks don't work, I think those are the types of players you should load up on in rounds 2-4.

You know, I think you should buy Yzerman Black Book this year, so he would finally know how to draft proper players

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
You know, I think you should buy Yzerman Black Book this year, so he would finally know how to draft proper players
:laugh:

We would probably have Barlow and Perreault instead of Danielson and ASP, not sure how to feel about that.

Reactions: lilidk

letsgowings9999

May 13, 2023
Im just curious who most fans are looking at right now if we were to pick in the 15-23 range???

I like Connelly but doubt he makes it,been hearing alot of greentree lately. Been seeing hage talk around but i'd have to check more on him

Most fans I think would be high on nygaard as a possibility... I wouldnt want another dman but if adam jiricek is there I'd assume its something yzerman would have to look at

Crunchy

Jan 27, 2020
We will see how things go from here. I was expecting less conservative drafting than I have seen from Yzerman so far. For as much crap as I gave Holland towards the end, I think prior to Tyler Wright he had a strategy for rounds 2-4 that I very much agreed with. Frk, Jurco, Sproul, XO, AA, Jarnkrok, Tatar, Nyquist, Janmark, Pukkinen, Saarijarvi. Even if those picks don't work, I think those are the types of players you should load up on in rounds 2-4.
Idk man, that defensive drafting feels like pure stat watching. Yzerman/Draper are clearly targeting translatable NHL traits vs. offense wizardry in juniors.

I expect Johansson/Tuomisto/Wallinder/Sebrango/Viro/ Buium/Johansson/Gibson/Cleveland/Keenan to be a superior group to McIsaac/Regula/Barton/Lindstrom/Kotkansalo/Hronek/Malmstrom/Saarijarvi/Ouellet/Sproul/Fournier/Nicastro which yielded 1 value add.

Tatar/Nyquist put up points, but aren't more than 3rd line offense guys. I think Mazur is a better prospect than both.

Holland was able to mine quite a few lower line forwards deeper in the draft with good develeopment, but the drafting under Yzerman/Draper has been night and day compared to Holland/Wright.

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012
I think I might be on the Andrew Basha train at this point, or at least running after it. I won't shed any tears for a Greentree or MBN selection, however.

Chris 84

Sep 15, 2007
Idk man, that defensive drafting feels like pure stat watching. Yzerman/Draper are clearly targeting translatable NHL traits vs. offense wizardry in juniors.

I expect Johansson/Tuomisto/Wallinder/Sebrango/Viro/ Buium/Johansson/Gibson/Cleveland/Keenan to be a superior group to McIsaac/Regula/Barton/Lindstrom/Kotkansalo/Hronek/Malmstrom/Saarijarvi/Ouellet/Sproul/Fournier/Nicastro which yielded 1 value add.

Tatar/Nyquist put up points, but aren't more than 3rd line offense guys. I think Mazur is a better prospect than both.

Holland was able to mine quite a few lower line forwards deeper in the draft with good develeopment, but the drafting under Yzerman/Draper has been night and day compared to Holland/Wright.

late reply, and i agree with your overall point, but calling tatar and nyquist 3rd line guys is surely harsh. hell, even at this point in his career, nyquist is on pace for 70 points and generally averages about 50, 55. tatar, ok, a bit less, and nyquist was always my favourite of the two, but still decent numbers.
for me, those guys are top 6 forwards. definitely not like franchise play drivers or whatever, but very good pieces to have on your team.

Reactions: Hockeyville USA

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad