2024 Draft Discussion

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012
Physically he's not as strong as Kasper or Larkin and Veleno when they were same age .
This is total BS and not relevant at all long term. If you actually watch him play the game, he does everything you ask and expect from a center. Kasper and Danielson are both natural centers. The only reason people talk about either playing wing is because they both play the same position, not because one can't handle the center position.

Reactions: Snuggs

Axel Sandy Pelikan

Jonatan Berggren is our Lord and Savior,
May 11, 2023
I don't watch enough to judge if we have Larkin replacement in the farm . Kasper is like 2-3 line center and Danielson, I think will be better at wing , but I am not sure. Do we still need to target center in the first ?

I would say that you should always value a center in the first.

Honestly, you really shouldn't cross any position off your board at any time. Legitimately talented Cs are probably the most valuable asset in the league. But frankly, if you're looking at the 8th best C when picking at 15OA.

Pick should always, always, always be BPA. Drafting for need is stupid. Drafting for need is how you end up passing on Michael Jordan for Sam Bowie. Want to fill "needs", trade or sign for them. Frankly, if I think the best player where I am drafting is a goalie... like I'm at 15OA this year and there is a guy I truly believe is Dominik Hasek reborn, I'm probably taking him. Now, I'd be going out on a limb in that case and I'd have to verify, but if you're telling me that I can fill, guaranteed, any position for a decade with a pick, I'm doing so.

Goalies don't go for that value, because it is the most high variance position there is... but the idea is that talent should trump need 100% of the time in drafts.

Reactions: Snuggs and lilidk

OldnotDeadWings

Sep 18, 2013
Have never watched him play aside from highlights, but Yegor Surin is starting to show up in first-round speculation. He's been mentioned a few times in this thread as a possible second-round pick or someone to trade up for. A good scouting service, Draftin Europe, recently ranked him 7th OA among Euro prospects, behind another rarely mentioned Draft possibility, C Lucas Pettersson, at 5, MBN at 6; higher than fellow Russian RW Chernyshov, who I like and has been in some top 20 rankings. C Helenius, a more likely Draft target for the Wings and a possibility to drop from where rankings have him, is ranked No. 2 behind Demidov.

Surin, from scouting reports on him, sounds like Kasper. Natural center, strong and agile on his skates, same size, lots of physicality. His MHL team is good and rolls over a lot of teams, and his numbers are very good, second among U18 MHL players. One scouting report basically describes him as a boss on the ice, lots of skill, lots of attitude, arrogant in a good way. He's not listed among top 20 OA prospects in any ranking I've seen, but there seems to be a little bit of a buzz around him, as guys who follow the draft more closely than I do probably already know.

Reactions: RedHawkDown

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
Have never watched him play aside from highlights, but Yegor Surin is starting to show up in first-round speculation. He's been mentioned a few times in this thread as a possible second-round pick or someone to trade up for. A good scouting service, Draftin Europe, recently ranked him 7th OA among Euro prospects, behind another rarely mentioned Draft possibility, C Lucas Pettersson, at 5, MBN at 6; higher than fellow Russian RW Chernyshov, who I like and has been in some top 20 rankings. C Helenius, a more likely Draft target for the Wings and a possibility to drop from where rankings have him, is ranked No. 2 behind Demidov.

Surin, from scouting reports on him, sounds like Kasper. Natural center, strong and agile on his skates, same size, lots of physicality. His MHL team is good and rolls over a lot of teams, and his numbers are very good, second among U18 MHL players. One scouting report basically describes him as a boss on the ice, lots of skill, lots of attitude, arrogant in a good way. He's not listed among top 20 OA prospects in any ranking I've seen, but there seems to be a little bit of a buzz around him, as guys who follow the draft more closely than I do probably already know.
It's easy to watch him , it's an You tube . To me his game similar to Sennecke or Sawchyn from last draft, but MHL not as good as OHL, so it's hard to compare.

heyfolks

Apr 30, 2007
Given my post has come to fruition, the next phase is a LOCK! The Wings will move up to #5. OK, at least to #10. I have already listed out the two big wingers they desperately need. At 15, I think that is what they do.

At 15, Greentree. Lotto luck and they move up to to 9 or 10..... Michael Hage

Murmansk16A

Apr 29, 2022
Given my post has come to fruition, the next phase is a LOCK! The Wings will move up to #5. OK, at least to #10. I have already listed out the two big wingers they desperately need. At 15, I think that is what they do.

At 15, Greentree. Lotto luck and they move up to to 9 or 10..... Michael Hage

Hage will probably be available at 15.

Reactions: heyfolks and lilidk

Murmansk16A

Apr 29, 2022
I say we stay at 15 and select . . . James Hagens. Sure, he's a 2025 draft eligible guy. But Vancouver drafted Pavel Bure when he wasn't supposed to be draft eligible and it worked. So that's my plan in a nutshell.

• Haha
Reactions: wingerdinger

Baaaaaaaaaaaaah

Sponsor
Aug 16, 2015
I've seen Basha and Yak play since they were kids. Yak not the brightest but he has some physical tools and will probably be a monster. Always been a fan of Basha as a well rounded hockey player. I would be ok with either of them, though either would require some draft board manoeuvring.

An Yzerman pick would be Connelly, who I think could be good risk/reward to trade down for.

If Eiserman falls to us and we take the risk and draft him, we better go buy Trevor Zegras to give him the best chance for success.

OldnotDeadWings

Sep 18, 2013
For those who put some time into evaluating 2018 Draft prospects, how similar is Eiserman to Owen Wahlstrom at that time? Try not to let the fact Wahlstrom might now be available for peanuts if not on waivers influence the comparison.

OldnotDeadWings

Sep 18, 2013
oliver? eiserman is way better of a scorer

Yeah Oliver! Thanks for the correction. I thought Wahlstrom had this good reputation for being a scorer and the few times I saw him with the Isles, he could certainly rip it. Nothing wrong with his skating and a good size too. I remember liking Farabee a lot that year, otherwise creeping senility draws a blank.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $246.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig
    Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $8,351.00