Speculation: 2024 and 2025 big UFAs

Who should be prioritized in re-signing?

• Gustav Forsling

Votes: 61 83.6%
  • Brandon Montour

Votes: 17 23.3%
  • Aaron Ekblad

Votes: 6 8.2%
  • Sam Reinhart

Votes: 49 67.1%
  • Carter Verhaeghe

Votes: 50 68.5%
  • Sam Bennett

Votes: 21 28.8%

• Total voters

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
$6mil per for Ekky is probably the correct amount from the Panthers' end but he's not going to leave $14-21mil ($8-9milx7) on the table if he can get that from another team.

I don't put a lot of emphasis on one particular year over the entire track record a player has accrued up until the contract extension talks. I don't think Monty is going to score 73pts again but I think that he's proven to be a productive dman offensively and a vastly better qb on the powerplay than what they've had with Ekblad.

What the Panthers need to continue to do is avoiding bad contracts. Like with the Oilers, McJesus and Drai had pretty decent contract but Holland threw a wrench into the works by signing Nurse for that anchor contract. If Nurse isn't accepting a team friendly contract to keep the team competitive then why McDrai should? Or WillyNilly and JohnnyH with the Leafs squeezing every bit of money they can and then hoping that the Leafs will be a contender? imo those one or two bad contracts are usually the main culprit to why some teams can't win the Cup although they have top tier talent in their roster.

I agree, have said forever that DAL needs a top 4 D with some offense ability.
They have some big money coming off soon in Benn/Suter etc.
Harley as the trade piece I wanted is out the door now of course. They have some solid prospects IMO.

Ya it seems Zito will be very forward heavy with cap and look to find more gems on the defense, doubt we see any defenseman over $7.5 mil here any time soon.

Kind of glad Montour has come back to earth and can't command over $6.5 mil IMO. It may be Forsling after all who gets the biggest deal on D this July

FrolikFan67

Apr 29, 2012
Tippett re-signed for 8yrs at 6.2per? Jeez, I wonder what Verhaeghe gets then, I know Tippett is younger but still. Scared we won’t be able to keep both of Reinhart and Verhaeghe

• Wow
Reactions: pantherbot

violaswallet

Apr 8, 2019
Tippett re-signed for 8yrs at 6.2per? Jeez, I wonder what Verhaeghe gets then, I know Tippett is younger but still. Scared we won’t be able to keep both of Reinhart and Verhaeghe
Taxes and different years of growth: Flyers are signing TIppett through the end of his plausible prime; with Verheage, we'll be front-loading for three years of his prime.

Jean Luc Discard

Jul 11, 2014
Harley as the trade piece I wanted is out the door now of course. They have some solid prospects IMO.

Ya it seems Zito will be very forward heavy with cap and look to find more gems on the defense, doubt we see any defenseman over $7.5 mil here any time soon.

Kind of glad Montour has come back to earth and can't command over $6.5 mil IMO. It may be Forsling after all who gets the biggest deal on D this July

I'm not worried about individual players not hitting their yearly quota in some statistic, e.g. Monty now being expected to score 60pts, but rather their overall impact reflective of their cap hit. I think that Zito is probably the best GM in the game right now because of his risk assessment. Not every player acquisition is a homerun for him but he hasn't committed the team to bad contracts/players.

Reactions: KW

violaswallet

Apr 8, 2019
Terrible AAV for a guy whose best season is 49 points.

But they have space moving forward as the are constructing a new core.
Will disagree: 7% of the cap seems reasonable for what looks like a perennial 25 goal scorer.

I'm not worried about individual players not hitting their yearly quota in some statistic, e.g. Monty now being expected to score 60pts, but rather their overall impact reflective of their cap hit. I think that Zito is probably the best GM in the game right now because of his risk assessment. Not every player acquisition is a homerun for him but he hasn't committed the team to bad contracts/players.
And the contracts we initially think are bad (Gudas and Mikkola for me) turn out to be excellent.

Reactions: letsgrowcactus

pantherbot

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 7, 2006
$6mil per for Ekky is probably the correct amount from the Panthers' end but he's not going to leave $14-21mil ($8-9milx7) on the table if he can get that from another team.

I don't put a lot of emphasis on one particular year over the entire track record a player has accrued up until the contract extension talks. I don't think Monty is going to score 73pts again but I think that he's proven to be a productive dman offensively and a vastly better qb on the powerplay than what they've had with Ekblad.

What the Panthers need to continue to do is avoiding bad contracts. Like with the Oilers, McJesus and Drai had pretty decent contract but Holland threw a wrench into the works by signing Nurse for that anchor contract. If Nurse isn't accepting a team friendly contract to keep the team competitive then why McDrai should? Or WillyNilly and JohnnyH with the Leafs squeezing every bit of money they can and then hoping that the Leafs will be a contender? imo those one or two bad contracts are usually the main culprit to why some teams can't win the Cup although they have top tier talent in their roster.

I agree with your sentiments here, but not so much on the contract number. I think he's still a $7.5M player with a rising cap.

When he is up for his next contract, cap will be well north of $90M. So if he's a $6M player when the cap is $83M, then he's a $7M player when the cap moves to $100M. That's why I'm fine signing him to a rollover contract, but yes if he wants more, then I'd say goodbye.

Chaos2k7

Believe!
Aug 10, 2003
Costa Rica
Will disagree: 7% of the cap seems reasonable for what looks like a perennial 25 goal scorer.

And the contracts we initially think are bad (Gudas and Mikkola for me) turn out to be excellent.
If the point projections hold for the course of the contract, fine, if not, that is not great value for a one dimensional winger.

40 point forwards cant be paid 6 mil a year on a real contender.

Gizmo Tkachuk

Registered Loser
Sep 23, 2009
Florida

I’m hoping OEL takes another year at his current AAV

violaswallet

Apr 8, 2019
If the point projections hold for the course of the contract, fine, if not, that is not great value for a one dimensional winger.
He is physical though. Not great defensively, but not Duclair.

Especially with the way the cap is rising, a team like Philly needs to lock in talent that can score. of course, we wouldn't like this contract on the Panthers this iteration, but we would have loved it say 9 years ago.

Reactions: letsgrowcactus

Jean Luc Discard

Jul 11, 2014
I agree with your sentiments here, but not so much on the contract number. I think he's still a $7.5M player with a rising cap.

When he is up for his next contract, cap will be well north of $90M. So if he's a $6M player when the cap is $83M, then he's a $7M player when the cap moves to $100M. That's why I'm fine signing him to a rollover contract, but yes if he wants more, then I'd say goodbye.

That's fine but I've never heard a fan of some other team saying that they'd wish Ekblad played for them. Whenever Ekblad was sidelined by an injury, we were wanting any RD to cover for his minutes and not that Ekblad specifically was irreplaceable in defense. I think that his role a bus rider is the biggest problem when he's signed for a big contract which entails big expectations.

He is physical though. Not great defensively, but not Duclair.

Especially with the way the cap is rising, a team like Philly needs to lock in talent that can score. of course, we wouldn't like this contract on the Panthers this iteration, but we would have loved it say 9 years ago.

I really liked Tippett's potential as a physical goal scorer but Zito probably thought that he'd shown too little, too late.

Reactions: violaswallet

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
I’m hoping OEL takes another year at his current AAV

What term we thinking for OEL?
Will he take a 1 yr deal?
Can't be more than 4 years IMO.

2-3 years would be great.

A lot depends on his role going forward.
If he's just gonna be a 3rd pair guy than I'm not sure we can offer him the money he may want? There'd be teams out there giving him $4-5 mil or so as a 2nd pair guy.

I'd like him back though, hoping Zito and OEL can find a happy medium. He's earned his big money and may take a haircut to retire in South Florida.
Winning, weather and extra tax free cash helps

Last edited:

pantherbot

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 7, 2006
That's fine but I've never heard a fan of some other team saying that they'd wish Ekblad played for them. Whenever Ekblad was sidelined by an injury, we were wanting any RD to cover for his minutes and not that Ekblad specifically was irreplaceable in defense. I think that his role a bus rider is the biggest problem when he's signed for a big contract which entails big expectations.

My point is that if he's a $6M in today's cap, then he's a $7.5M in the new cap. Salaries are rising.

Jakeybonz

Jan 1, 2018
I love Bob and how he's been able to find his game here again the last couple of seasons. But this has to be the offseason he's gone. We really need that 10 mil in cap space for these signings.

imo we must pay to keep Forsling, V, and Reinhart. Montour and Bennett would be nice to keep at the right price, but honestly if it comes down to it, I'd rather retain a cheaper OEL than a massive montour contract. Ekblad looks like he might be the odd man out just because we need that cap room but I wonder if he's serious about wanting to stay in FLA if he considers taking a paycut down to 3-4m to stay.
Eks not worth more than league minimum in any universe and id pay him to leave. Montour will be paid more than we would be willing to give him. Bennett will probably but not definitely stay. OEL is gone. Verhaege, forsling, and reinhart are all re-signing. Theres no universe they go anywhere else. Ek and bob should both be traded this summer with their NMCs gone but bob will be harder to move with that 2 year cap hit so i think he stays. Knight and ek are probably gone this summer.

violaswallet

Apr 8, 2019

I really liked Tippett's potential as a physical goal scorer but Zito probably thought that he'd shown too little, too late.
Change of scenery was necessary: Torts is also a very good coach for his skill set. Bruno was not a good fir

Reactions: WaitingForThatCab

KW

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 21, 2006
Just like championships are won by not making on-ice defensive mistakes, championship teams are built by not making off-ice contract mistakes.

(Toronno and Oilers and Flames for example will never win because of that.)

BeezKnees

Jun 4, 2010
Orlando, FL
Screenshot_20240211_010818_Edge.jpg

Great players actually wanting to stay here, what a time to be alive. We like to complain a lot, but we're living in the golden years of being Panthers fans.

Last edited:

austropanther

Jul 21, 2015
Bregenz
View attachment 817944

Great players actually wanting to stay here, what a time to be alive. We like to complain a lot, but we're living in the golden years of being Panthers fans.
Imagine we could retain Reinhart and Forsling at low prices, so that we have some wiggle room for Monty, and Verhaege next year... I'd buy jerseys of both of them and clean their cars for the rest of their lives

Dread Clawz

LAWSonic Boom
Nov 25, 2006
Pennsylvania
View attachment 817944

Seriously, this is the golden age of this franchise right now, and the next year or two. I'm just gonna enjoy it . Hopefully it ends with a Cup.

TotalHomer

Jan 3, 2022
What do you guys think of this deal in the offseason, obviously the primary reason for the trade is to clear cap space and move on from Ekblad before he gets a retirement contract.

To Florida:
1st 2024 (15th overallish)
Chiarot @ 3.75M (1 million retained)

To Detroit:
Ekblad

I know people have ptsd from the Chiarot trade, but he was excellent under Maurice in Winnipeg and fits his system like a glove (unlike whatever the hell Brunette was running). We would recoup a 1st rounder and get cap savings of 3.75m, allowing us to re-sign both Reinhart (@8.25m) and Montour (@6.25m) long term as well as all the other guys to fair deals. Was crunching the numbers at Capfriendly and it works out.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad