2024-25 Roster…too soon?

Northernhawk

Feb 22, 2020
Miss the days of:

Keith-Seabrook
Hammer-Oduya
2015 Last game of the second round Rozsival turned at the blue line a twisted/broke his ankle and forced the Hawks to play those four for the next two rounds…along with Timonen, Rundblad, van Riemsdyk and Cumiskey sparingly

Reactions: x Tame Impala

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
2015 Last game of the second round Rozsival turned at the blue line a twisted/broke his ankle and forced the Hawks to play those four for the next two rounds…along with Timonen, Rundblad, van Riemsdyk and Cumiskey sparingly

Always forget he was a Hawk

He can thank Q for that cup. Q was only reason he was signed and got another shot at NHL

He was in Europe in years before that and the brief time with Hawks in 2014-15 was his last NHL action

Not bad final action to be playing some SCF games and winning cup

Northernhawk

Feb 22, 2020
Now you have to remember it is playoff hockey and games did go longer than regular season games, OT til someone scores…here are the Blackhawks defencemen icetimepergame

Duncan Keith 31:07
Brent Seabrook 26:17
Niklas Hjalmarsson 26:02
Johnny Oduya 24:45

Michal Rozsival 17:26

Kyle Cumiskey 9:28
Kimmo Timonen 8:40
David Rundblad 7:29
Trevor van Riemsdyk 7:02

Crazy!!!

Reactions: Pez68 and Muffinalt

Northernhawk

Feb 22, 2020
Now you have to remember it is playoff hockey and games did go longer than regular season games, OT til someone scores…here are the Blackhawks defencemen icetimepergame

Duncan Keith 31:07
Brent Seabrook 26:17
Niklas Hjalmarsson 26:02
Johnny Oduya 24:45

Michal Rozsival 17:26

Kyle Cumiskey 9:28
Kimmo Timonen 8:40
David Rundblad 7:29
Trevor van Riemsdyk 7:02

Crazy!!!
In 2013 they went with six

Keith, Seabrook, Hjalmarsson, Oduya, Rozsival and Nick Leddy

Sheldon Brookbank played for a suspended Keith

In 2010 it was

Keith, Seabrook, Hjalmarsson, Brian Campbell, Brent Sopel and a shared 6th roll by Jordan Hendry and Nick Boynton

Big Dustin Byfuglien started at defence til Campbell got healthy half way through the Nashville series

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
If Farabee is available as Friedman essentially alluded to without saying it outright. Would you want Hawks to have interest?

Torts and he have had up and down relationship the last 2 years and he is someone like Frost that people speculated could be on block

24 yrs old and signed for next 4 years at $5M AAV

Can play both LW and RW (Though primarily is LW)

Was 3rd on Flyers in scoring with 22 goals and 28 assists for 50 pts in 82 games

Farabee-Bedard-Kurashev as our 1st line next year

Hawks have plenty of trade chips (Picks) in coming years adding a good young NHL talent to help team now and in coming years would be smart investment IMO

I wonder if Lightning 2024 1st + Phillips would appeal to Flyers. If reports of Briere wanting to move up in draft are true the TB pick gives him more ammunition

As for Phillips he looks like odd man out with Hawks LD situation/logjam

Last edited:

kmwtrucks

Mar 11, 2014
I dont see us trading a #1 this off season. I think when KD talks about being better its more about moving on from some of the 25 year olds that look to be AHL/NHL fringe and bringing in a few more players that are NHL players that are UFA's or possible over paid players that would not require much if any of a asset. matheiu Joseph and connor garland could have been had for next to nothing or nothing last off season. Im sure we asked for a asset in return and the teams opted to not pay.

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
I dont see us trading a #1 this off season. I think when KD talks about being better its more about moving on from some of the 25 year olds that look to be AHL/NHL fringe and bringing in a few more players that are NHL players that are UFA's or possible over paid players that would not require much if any of a asset. matheiu Joseph and connor garland could have been had for next to nothing or nothing last off season. Im sure we asked for a asset in return and the teams opted to not pay.
I would agree that a cap dump for "nothing" (as opposed to them putting a sweetener in there) deal(s) probably make sense. Hawks can throw back a 5th or 6th round pick, or graduating nothing prospect, to give the other GM a small "win". Someone like Phillips may get moved in that sort of deal, but I wouldn't mind one more year with him before they ship him out in such a way.

Chuck Testa

Mar 27, 2017
What does everyone think about a guy like Drake Batherson?

6'3"
200+ pounds

Cap hit of 4.975 mil per year

UFA in 2027/2028

u2wojo

Dec 22, 2011
What does everyone think about a guy like Drake Batherson?

6'3"
200+ pounds

Cap hit of 4.975 mil per year

UFA in 2027/2028
coming off 66 points following up on a 62 point season, why would ottawa be moving him short of an overpay which we probably not at the point to be doing?

Reactions: Pez68

Chuck Testa

Mar 27, 2017
coming off 66 points following up on a 62 point season, why would ottawa be moving him short of an overpay which we probably not at the point to be doing?

I was just wondering what the thoughts would be should he become available at some point for some reason.

I kinda feel or at least hope like "The Bedard Effect" might entice players to wish to come play alongside 98.

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
Ottawa only moves Batherson in a "rebuild the rebuild" kind of thing. He's one of their better assets since he's signed at a good clip for 3 more seasons. Also doesn't have a NTC. I think a better team than the Hawks would make a more significant offer, and he'd fit some other team's timeline better. I wouldn't try and win a bidding war with a Playoff team there. By the time the Hawks are any good, he'd be up for UFA and not that young anymore. Better to just be patient and not start moving stuff just to do things. I think Hawks long-term focus should be players born '01 or later.

u2wojo

Dec 22, 2011
Ottawa only moves Batherson in a "rebuild the rebuild" kind of thing. He's one of their better assets since he's signed at a good clip for 3 more seasons. Also doesn't have a NTC. I think a better team than the Hawks would make a more significant offer, and he'd fit some other team's timeline better. I wouldn't try and win a bidding war with a Playoff team there. By the time the Hawks are any good, he'd be up for UFA and not that young anymore. Better to just be patient and not start moving stuff just to do things. I think Hawks long-term focus should be players born '01 or later.
This.

IF and I mean IF, Ottawa ever got to the point of considering moving Batherson the ask of the Hawks would be Nazar/Moore/Korch/Rinzel and a high pick (or they are not moving him). We need to draft and develop our own players first and you can add a piece like a Batherson in a couple of Summers to fill in what the pipeline has failed to develop when you are trading late firsts instead of early firsts.

Reactions: WarriorofTime

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018
If Farabee is available as Friedman essentially alluded to without saying it outright. Would you want Hawks to have interest?

Torts and he have had up and down relationship the last 2 years and he is someone like Frost that people speculated could be on block

24 yrs old and signed for next 4 years at $5M AAV

Can play both LW and RW (Though primarily is LW)

Was 3rd on Flyers in scoring with 22 goals and 28 assists for 50 pts in 82 games

Farabee-Bedard-Kurashev as our 1st line next year

Hawks have plenty of trade chips (Picks) in coming years adding a good young NHL talent to help team now and in coming years would be smart investment IMO

I wonder if Lightning 2024 1st + Phillips would appeal to Flyers. If reports of Briere wanting to move up in draft are true the TB pick gives him more ammunition

As for Phillips he looks like odd man out with Hawks LD situation/logjam
I'd do the Tampa 1st, Reichel, and whatever LD that's stuck in the logjam.

Farabee is good.

Reactions: HawksDub89

kmwtrucks

Mar 11, 2014
Think its definitely time to hunt some guys in the 21-25 range that can contribute that are on the move. Farabee would fill a big need. Frost too. We need forwards that can play.
trading away assets to soon in a rebuild because you want to speed it up usually ends up in mediocrity. we can add 2 UFA's that are legit NHL players and make a few small trades for players that are NHL players just over paid for there production and stay healthy we will be way more competitive.

Reactions: WarriorofTime

Muffinalt

Mar 1, 2016
Hungary
If we got Celebrini, I would consider something like this:

Sign Kane, Stephenson and Noesen as forwards, Chatfield or Carrier for defense.

Trade Reichel, Kaiser, TBL and TOR picks for Martin Necas (Caroline could be motivated to keep other guys). Or Farabee honestly, good option too.

Noesen - Bedard - Kane
Stephenson - Celebrini - Necas
Hall (Moore) - Nazar - Kurashev
Foligno - Dickinson - AA
Donato

Vlasic - Jones
Del Mastro - Murphy
Korchinski - Chatfield
X

Mrazek
Stalock (Commesso)

This is probably too much too soon right? Otherwise we have the young core in place, and the main vets are good for another 4-5 years.

But yeah feels like fast tracking.

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018
trading away assets to soon in a rebuild because you want to speed it up usually ends up in mediocrity. we can add 2 UFA's that are legit NHL players and make a few small trades for players that are NHL players just over paid for there production and stay healthy we will be way more competitive.
Farabee's contract is really good.

You've got a 24 year old locked up on an affordable deal for another 4 years.

You're not getting that with any UFAs.

Plus, if all it takes is Tampa 1st + Reichel + some other junk then you're losing nothing of significant value. Not saying that gets the trade done, but I wouldn't offer much more than that either. That's not speeding up the rebuild. Just smart asset management.

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
If we got Celebrini, I would consider something like this:

Sign Kane, Stephenson and Noesen as forwards, Chatfield or Carrier for defense.

Trade Reichel, Kaiser, TBL and TOR picks for Martin Necas (Caroline could be motivated to keep other guys). Or Farabee honestly, another good option.

Noesen - Bedard - Kane
Stephenson - Celebrini - Necas
Hall (Moore) - Nazar - Kurashev
Foligno - Dickinson - AA
Donato

Vlasic - Jones
Del Mastro - Murphy
Korchinski - Chatfield
X

Mrazek
Stalock (Commesso)

This is probably too much too soon right? Otherwise we have the young core in place, and the main vets are good for another 4-5 years.

But yeah feels like fast tracking.
Don't mind everything, except trading assets for Necas.

Reactions: dreadpirateroberts

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
yeah that's basically what Buffalo did and why they got caught in a forever rebuild with Eichel demanding out. Similar story in Arizona when Chayka was doing his thing and getting fined draft picks for illegal scouting combines

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018
Overpay, but it’s already known you have no idea how to evaluate assets.
It's not an overpay.

Is the player drafted at 20th overall going to be better than Farabee? I don't know. Maybe. You make that call on draft night and see who's there.

Reichel is a bum. We already know he'll never be as good as Farabee.

u2wojo

Dec 22, 2011
It's not an overpay.

Is the player drafted at 20th overall going to be better than Farabee? I don't know. Maybe. You make that call on draft night and see who's there.

Reichel may ultimatley prove you right, but at yet to turn 22 I am going to pass on selling low and throwing in a pick Vegas has a decent shot of making #19OA for a middle 6 winger that is just as likely to have the ABC line effect of Arneson/Calder/Bell that someone has to look good/put up points on a shit to mediocre team like the Flyers as he is to actually be an above average player on an actual good playoff level team.

Make our picks this draft, watch our prospect pool develop another Summer, likely take out lumps another season with a roster of 3rd/4th liners and kids learning at the NHL level, and maybe just maybe we can start looking to add signifiacnt long term pieces next Summer.

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
It's not an overpay.

Incorrect way to view it. A team's timeline, the fact that if you draft a bust you can fill the slot with a UFA, a later draft pick, trade later on, etc. all factors into it. Is a 4th round pick going to be better than MacKenzie Entwistle? No, probably not. Is anyone trading a 4th round pick for Mackenzie Entwistle? No, because they can find some other plug to throw in just as easily.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad