2024-2025 expectations

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
I still have high expectations for this group.

The majority of this board screamed for years that you could see the flaws in the rebuild and wasn't as convinced it was just going to all shake out and round the corner efficiently when the time came. I always assumed success was only coming AFTER PD and DJ's tenure's came to an end, so not overly surprising turn of events to this point. I think that has basically played out as expected in many ways, and now it needs some course correction and we find out if this next group of dudes running the team are more capable than the last.

PlayOn

Jun 22, 2010
My only expectation is that it’s the core’s last chance.

I don’t expect any of them to go this year. I think Chychrun will be moved, we’ll replace Tarasenko and Kubalik with other forwards, find a RD and maybe move Forsberg if they feel Soogard is ready. And obviously they’ll hire a coach.

With better coaching and better roster construction, if we still suck, there really is no way around changing up the core at that point.

So I don’t really have expectations that we’ll be good or bad (although I still do like this group) moreso that it one way or another it will determine if we’re entering another rebuild (or a significant retool) or not.

Reactions: DrEasy and Alex1234

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
My only expectation is that it’s the core’s last chance.

I don’t expect any of them to go this year. I think Chychrun will be moved, we’ll replace Tarasenko and Kubalik with other forwards, find a RD and maybe move Forsberg if they feel Soogard is ready. And obviously they’ll hire a coach.

With better coaching and better roster construction, if we still suck, there really is no way around changing up the core at that point.

So I don’t really have expectations that we’ll be good or bad (although I still do like this group) moreso that it one way or another it will determine if we’re entering another rebuild (or a significant retool) or not.
I agree with most of this.

Tarasenko, Kubalik and Brannstrom all moved this year.

Chychrun moved at the deadline or in the summer, unless they go bold and sign him, leading to Chabot leaving.

Have to do something with one of Forsberg and Korpisalo. I'm about done hoping Korpi is gonna be anything decent, so I'd prefer to deal his contract, but doubt that's possible, so ya, likely Forsberg goes this deadline or summer with Soogard brought up. Yeesh, that makes me uncomfortable putting a Korpi/Sogaard combo in text, but don't see any other route.

Whole revamp of the coaching staff and finish off the other hiring loose ends in the org, really solidifying who is leading these guys.

Beyond that, it will likely be more of the bottom 6 F and bottom 4 D they'll be looking to change more than big pieces. With Greig/Pinto/Norris as the 2/3 C options, I wouldn't be surprised if one is used to shuffle the deck.

Reactions: PlayOn

Pierre from Orleans

May 9, 2007
They really need to part ways with Chabot. Hamonic and Brannstrom as well. Chychrun will likely return good assets.

Senko and in particular Kubalik is as good as gone. The 4th line needs a makeover and get a 2 way gritty top 6 forward.

Reactions: Alex1234

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
JMHO, but we've been too optimistic in the off season, at least in the last couple of years. Having a number of talented young players doesn't mean you have a good team. And there's other teams that have talented young players as well; some succeed, some don't.

People got pretty excited when we made additions like Debrincat, Chychrun and Tarasenko. Our top 4 defenders are good players was often heard, versus we have two solid top pairings that will play well together.

Having some talented offensive players was often the focus in here versus having a "team", a group of players who could play their roles and win.

I saw a post in here today what said Bergeron thought that maybe we should let the guys score lots of goals and win games 7 - 5 or 6 - 4. But, I'm not sure we have the players to do that. That might work for teams like the Leafs, at least in the regular season (versus playoffs), but only a few teams can do that with success.

I'm still hoping and I'm still somewhat optimistic that coaching and reprogramming will finally set in and positive results will start to manifest themselves at some point. But, at this current time, I'll admit it's been getting harder to feel that way. I guess I need to remind myself that patience is a virtue.
So, last year we finished with 86 pts, that's with Norris out all year, Chabot and Zub missing significant time, and both goalies going down at the same time down the stretch. My expectation was we'd be fighting for a playoff spot, I think those expectations were reasonable and despite the general sense about the teams performance, had you told people going in about the injuries we'd face, they'd likely see 86 pts as meeting expectations given the circumstances.

This year imo is different. I was optimistic, but at the same time was cautioning against moving Joseph to make room for Pinto (prior to the suspension) since we already had a lot of turnover on the PK and he was going to be needed there. Turns out my concern about the turnover on PK have been validated, even if I wasn't concerned enough. On the other hand, I had no idea of what was to come wrt the pp. I still don't understand how it can be so bad, like, how is the PP 3% points worse that the 2021-22 team that was running with guys like C.Brown, Ennis, Sanford, Tierney and White?

Loach

Jun 9, 2021
Team is in a tight spot. At the cap, no real blue chip prospects, missing/poor drafted 1st rounders, and a core that has one hell of a lot to learn very late into their development (Sandy excluded)....it's going to be tough.

Unless we get an absolutely perfect schedule next season, along with a dream team coaching staff, we aren't making the playoffs.
Aren't the juniors in Ottawa next year? Roooooaaad Triiiiiip.

Reactions: Nac Mac Feegle

robsenz

Apr 15, 2007
They blew it, changes needed, team blows, absolutely no excuses to be made. Will likely be garbage next year, so dissapointed in this group because you know if anyone would get shipped out they would be successful elsewhere.

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
Thomas Chabot is going to be 27 years old later this month. He wears an A. He is a central part of the leadership of this team.

He plays soft, lazy hockey and his "attention to details" is badly lacking.

My conclusion at this point is you can't win with those playing characteristics as a central part of your leadership/core.

If we want a hard working, focused team, he's gotta go.

Crosside

Aug 1, 2018
Stanley cup no less. If by December next year, we are not first in the Atlantic. Trade Brady, Stu and Sandy

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
I expect that management will

- balance the D by moving either Chabot or Chychrun, they both have warts and Chychrun is likely to get about 8M.

- physical RD. When I say physical, I’m not necessarily talking about hitting, more winning board battles, boxing out, clearing the front of the net.

- 1 coaches dream in the middle 6.

Playoffs.

Big Muddy

Dec 15, 2019
Just checked CapFriendly and Forsberg is on LTIR. Just thought I'd mention it as people were talking about him. Sorry if this has been mentioned elsewhere.

Not a bad idea to check CapFriendly for next years cap numbers.

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
1705151447723.png

As far as I’m concerned, the 2024-2025 season begins today…. And our Rookie GM needs to replace the interim Head Coach, who is sporting a .273 P% record, ASAP with someone like Berube, and begin the the 2025/25 training camp when he arrives…and shake the tree to see who stays and goes…. Pretty much what the Canucks did last year, at the end of January….. the Canucks finished 3 points BEHIND the Senators last season….and having Rick Tocchet take over last January is now paying dividends a year later…..why should our rookie GM wait until the off season, and let the substitute teacher, who can’t get the needed results expected, stay any longer?

Loach

Jun 9, 2021
View attachment 802097

As far as I’m concerned, the 2024-2025 season begins today…. And our Rookie GM needs to replace the interim Head Coach, who is sporting a .273 P% record, ASAP with someone like Berube, and begin the the 2025/25 training camp when he arrives…and shake the tree to see who stays and goes…. Pretty much what the Canucks did last year, at the end of January….. the Canucks finished 3 points BEHIND the Senators last season….and having Rick Tocchet take over last January is now paying dividends a year later…..why should our rookie GM wait until the off season, and let the substitute teacher, who can’t get the needed results expected, stay any longer?
You said you where taking a break. That turned out to be fiction. Par for the course.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
The Rebuild needs a Retool.
More improvements in Hockey Ops .. Improving and expanding the scouting department
Coaching changes
Roles for Jacques and Alfie
Running the Draft off Bob's list
Acquiring a couple of quality veteran depth forwards and a top 4 RD.
I agree with you. The net result will likely be a bubble team in 24-25. Playoffs will have to wait until 25-26 or later.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
View attachment 802097

I wonder if our owner and POHO/GM have someone in mind who is currently under contract to another team and therefore not available until the off-season (e.g., Gruden).

I don't know anything about Gruden's coaching style; however, I want a coach like Tortorella who tells players what he expects, focuses on playing a solid game in all zones, demands such performance, and does not tolerate deviations.

Filatov2Kovalev2Bonk

Effortless sexy.
Jul 13, 2006
Cumberland
My expectations were high when Staios was hired and plummeted when Poulin was hired, he's nothing more than an old-school talking head to keep the media mollified. Staios should have hired some millennial talent with a fresh outlook and a view toward analytics and today's game. Instead we are getting more "gudpro" junk, why not just let Jamie Baker take over he has about as much insight as Poulin and I wouldn't need to hear his pom-pom waving on the pre and post-game shows.

My expectations are for this team to be a top 3 team in the Atlantic Division. Expectations for this year were to be a Wildcard team at very minimum.
I disagree this is the core's last chance, sort of. This is definitely management's last chance vis-a-vis the core though. I don't see Brady and company wanting to stick around if they miss the playoffs again next year.

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
My expectations were high when Staios was hired and plummeted when Poulin was hired, he's nothing more than an old-school talking head to keep the media mollified. Staios should have hired some millennial talent with a fresh outlook and a view toward analytics and today's game. Instead we are getting more "gudpro" junk, why not just let Jamie Baker take over he has about as much insight as Poulin and I wouldn't need to hear his pom-pom waving on the pre and post-game shows.

My expectations are for this team to be a top 3 team in the Atlantic Division. Expectations for this year were to be a Wildcard team at very minimum.
I disagree this is the core's last chance, sort of. This is definitely management's last chance vis-a-vis the core though. I don't see Brady and company wanting to stick around if they miss the playoffs again next year.

Because guys like Chayka and Dubas have had so much success?

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site

Literally the first thing they did.... They had owned the team for less than a week. They hired
Sean Tierney to run the analytics department. While its a usefull tool it is a support tool, analytics should never be the basis for the final decision making when it comes to players. That does not work we have seen it. Its a combination of having smart hockey people who understand leadership, the ability to apply the eye test in evaluations and use analytics when making decisions.

Ottawa Senators announce additions to hockey operations department | Ottawa Senators.

I have a hard time accepting an opinion that adding experience hockey minds to the skeleton staff was a bad idea. A collaborative effort with differing opinions would have saved previous management from making so many terrible decisions. This new approach is the opposite.

Having faith in a Dorion/Melnyk run team is everyone's true issue. Not being able to decipher that this team is a product of those two men, their leadership and their penny pinching and low hockey acumen. Staios took over in pre-season, he hasnt even had an offseason to go after the people who are actually available.

Its fine to be upset and mad as this season has been horrid. But please figure out who to actually blame and please have some patience. Certain posters are pushing a toxic narrative about the new ownership and management. Its the same ones that defended the previous ownership and management that ran this team into the ground. There is a true agenda for these people. Ignore them.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad