2024-2025 expectations

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009
Now I know this is early in the sense of very specific expectations based on roster moves, but this is more of a general sense of expectations or timelines.

For the past 5 or so years, we all had almost the same expectations...

20-21: be crappy and get a high pick.
21-22: get out of the basement and show some progress
22-23: play competitive games
23-24: make the playoffs
24-25: be a contender for the next several years.

It seemed we were all on the same page.

And yet we're going the opposite direction. We're much worse than last year.

Are the expectations to keep the same trajectory and just delay it a year?

Or are we completely overhauling our plans, and resetting the bar much lower?

Is the plan for next year to just not suck? Is the plan to instill a good defensive system regardless of success? Is it playoffs or bust next year?(making us buyers)

It's almost as if depending on the day, my mentality changes completely from "rebuild" to "retool" to "be patient and try again".

So what should our general expectations be for this team?

Do we expect to suck again next year and if we go on a run and make the playoffs it's all gravy?

Or do we expect to make the playoffs and then get all worked up when/if we suck again?

Us sucking has got me all confused about expectations of our trajectory. Anyone else in the same boat?

Just wondering what the consensus is on where we stand as a fanbase with this team.

I feel like personally, this was a giant hit to my "ego" to the point where I almost want to think we are hot garbage until we actually make some noise in the playoffs.

Getting excited about young players seems dumb until these players actually start accomplishing stuff as a team.

Gone are the days where I can get excited for something before it happens. I've always been let down or made to look stupid thinking we'll be good when "rundblad and Cowen and weircioc" develop...

Seems like this core is the the Silverberg, Petersson,filatov, Hoffman, 2.0 but with sexier individual stats, guaranteed millions, but similar team success(or actually even worse). Do we keep buying the hype prematurely?

Is it just too early or does this core actually suck?

Discuss.

mysens

Apr 9, 2013
I have a 16yr old boy who is a fanatic of hockey and is a hometown fan. The poor kid is always excited when the year starts thinking he will see his first playoff game at the CTC. This year, more than previous years has taken a toll on him. He is sooooo sad and angry about this team this year. I am trying to just coax him into believing maybe with some moves soon or in the summer we can be that playoff team. But I am skeptical too.

Reactions: branch

Alex1234

Oct 14, 2014
Now I know this is early in the sense of very specific expectations based on roster moves, but this is more of a general sense of expectations or timelines.

And yet we're going the opposite direction. We're much worse than last year.

Are the expectations to keep the same trajectory and just delay it a year?

Or are we completely overhauling our plans, and resetting the bar much lower?

Is the plan for next year to just not suck? Is the plan to instill a good defensive system regardless of success? Is it playoffs or bust next year?(making us buyers)

It's almost as if depending on the day, my mentality changes completely from "rebuild" to "retool" to "be patient and try again".

So what should our general expectations be for this team?

Do we expect to suck again next year and if we go on a run and make the playoffs it's all gravy?

Or do we expect to make the playoffs and then get all worked up when/if we suck again?

Us sucking has got me all confused about expectations of our trajectory. Anyone else in the same boat?

Just wondering what the consensus is on where we stand as a fanbase with this team.

I feel like personally, this was a giant hit to my "ego" to the point where I almost want to think we are hot garbage until we actually make some noise in the playoffs.

Getting excited about young players seems dumb until these players actually start accomplishing stuff as a team.

Gone are the days where I can get excited for something before it happens. I've always been let down or made to look stupid thinking we'll be good when "rundblad and Cowen and weircioc" develop...

Seems like this core is the the Silverberg, Petersson,filatov, Hoffman, 2.0 but with sexier individual stats, guaranteed millions, but similar team success(or actually even worse). Do we keep buying the hype prematurely?

Is it just too early or does this core actually suck?

Discuss.
Suck

bicboi64

Aug 13, 2020
Brampton
i have no expectations. Aim low and avoid disappointment, just going to watch hockey for the sakeoof trying to catch some good games in

FunkySeeFunkyDoo

Feb 3, 2009
Ottawa
I have a 16yr old boy who is a fanatic of hockey and is a hometown fan. The poor kid is always excited when the year starts thinking he will see his first playoff game at the CTC. This year, more than previous years has taken a toll on him. He is sooooo sad and angry about this team this year. I am trying to just coax him into believing maybe with some moves soon or in the summer we can be that playoff team. But I am skeptical too.
Exact same story for me. Except that the '16yr old boy' is actually a middle aged man, and he is not my son.... he is me.

King Karl

five-year run of unparalleled suffering
Mar 18, 2014
Halifax, NS
Man I don't even have expectations anymore, it's getting difficult to not feel completely apathetic.

Coming in to this season we finally had all the pieces locked up: an abundance of scoring talent up front, an extremely solid blue line, and a decent if unspectacular tandem in net. Instead of finally taking that next step, we've regressed off a cliff. Special teams went from above average to amongst the worst in the league. Team save percentage looks like we're playing in the 80s. We finally shed DJ and Dorion, and we're somehow even worse.

Agent Zub

Jan 2, 2015
If they just rebuild some of these players mental games and have them playing hockey with basic NHL level team play it would be a success.

Reactions: LiseL

Sting

Feb 8, 2004
After watching this team play this year, I don't think playoffs are realistic next year either. The competition is too strong and too well managed. It's really hard to make up a massive gap in points, especially with how limited Staios is going to be with moving out core players. Nobody is going to give up real assets for Chabot or Norris for example with those contracts. We're also probably limited on cap space to bring anyone significant in.

So barring any huge, sweeping changes, it's probably another 12-15 finish.

Could we finish higher? Yes - if a LOT of things go right. I'd bet against that happening. Yeah that is a pessimistic view, but the core hasn't really given any indication that they're turning the corner here.

LudwigVonKarlsson

Fall of Pierre
Oct 17, 2013
Ottawa, ON

It's funny that the entire main board claims that sens fans think they are contending for the playoffs (and cups) every year when it couldn't be further from the truth. This year was the first one that we were supposed to compete for a playoff spot, but its going to be a down year instead, with Martin and Alfie trying to deprogram all the players from the DJ era. Next year will likely be a re-tool year after trying to install good habits and remove dead weight this year. Only issue is I think we will start contending for a playoff spot after the Giroux contract in 24-25, which he would be a big contributor on but he will be getting old by then.

Dan Patrick

Mar 11, 2020
Be more consistent. Play better than this year. Win more games than this year. Get to overtime more than once a season.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
The Rebuild needs a Retool.
More improvements in Hockey Ops .. Improving and expanding the scouting department
Coaching changes
Roles for Jacques and Alfie
Running the Draft off Bob's list
Acquiring a couple of quality veteran depth forwards and a top 4 RD.

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
I’ll give this new group my hope and excitement, otherwise what’s the point (for me).

Hopefully we see excellent drafting, some savvy moves, and some best in class hires to fully close the book on the past.

Too much to ask for?

otown

Sep 4, 2009
It's a new ownership group trying to clean up mistakes from the past and then put their own stamp on it.
They need time to assess and then implement their plan. Patience may be needed, as frustrating as it is for Sens fans who know that "Groundhog Day" is a real thing!

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009
The Rebuild needs a Retool.
More improvements in Hockey Ops .. Improving and expanding the scouting department
Coaching changes
Roles for Jacques and Alfie
Running the Draft off Bob's list
Acquiring a couple of quality veteran depth forwards and a top 4 RD.

But do you do these things and get all excited for the playoffs again?

Or do you do these things and expect a bottom place finish and only become pleasently surprised if they do better?

milkbag

Jul 31, 2018
Doesn't matter how high or low I set my expectations, I will inevitably still be let down by this team. That's sens hockey, baybee

Norris4Norris

Jul 13, 2022
Just sit back and relax.

Jacques Martin is only interim-head coach. So even if he makes progress with this team unless he is hired back next year it likely won't carryover under a new coach with a new system to learn.

So this year and probably next year will not bring the playoffs; Maybe in 25-26.

Big Muddy

Dec 15, 2019
JMHO, but we've been too optimistic in the off season, at least in the last couple of years. Having a number of talented young players doesn't mean you have a good team. And there's other teams that have talented young players as well; some succeed, some don't.

People got pretty excited when we made additions like Debrincat, Chychrun and Tarasenko. Our top 4 defenders are good players was often heard, versus we have two solid top pairings that will play well together.

Having some talented offensive players was often the focus in here versus having a "team", a group of players who could play their roles and win.

I saw a post in here today that said Bergeron thought that maybe we should let the guys score lots of goals and win games 7 - 5 or 6 - 4. But, I'm not sure we have the players to do that. That might work for teams like the Leafs, at least in the regular season (versus playoffs), but only a few teams can do that with success.

I'm still hoping and I'm still somewhat optimistic that coaching and reprogramming will finally set in and positive results will start to manifest themselves at some point. But, at this current time, I'll admit it's been getting harder to feel that way. I guess I need to remind myself that patience is a virtue.

Last edited:
Reactions: Cosmix and LiseL

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
Team is in a tight spot. At the cap, no real blue chip prospects, missing/poor drafted 1st rounders, and a core that has one hell of a lot to learn very late into their development (Sandy excluded)....it's going to be tough.

Unless we get an absolutely perfect schedule next season, along with a dream team coaching staff, we aren't making the playoffs.

Super Cake

Jun 24, 2013
I am done getting fooled by this team.

Was optomistic last year before last seasons start, well they finished at the bottom of the standings. Was again optomistic before this season, once again looking like they will finish at the bottom of the standings.

So you know what my expectations are for next season? Another waste of a season. Hopefully the team can prove me wrong

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
But do you do these things and get all excited for the playoffs again?

Or do you do these things and expect a bottom place finish and only become pleasently surprised if they do better?
Again ... like in 2017? I'll save it.

I expect there to be a lot of EMO posts on HFSens.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad