Blue Jays GDT: 2023 v12 | Sun, Oct 1 | vs TB *Last Regular Season Game* | 3:00pm ET/12:00pm PT | Lopez vs Parsons

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hellcat

Jul 13, 2022
Far from a participation ribbon. This isn't like the NHL when only 5/21 teams were missing out on the playoffs. In fact, despite there being more playoff spots than ever before, this is only the second time that one of the Yanks/Red Sox have missed out on a playoff spot in a single season since 1993, and the third time ever that they have finished in the bottom two spots of a division/conference (1925, 1966).

So your saying if Boston and NY played to their typical standards Toronto would not have made the playoffs?

5 of 21 teams miss the playoffs in the NHL? There are 32 teams, 16 don't make it and why are you bringing the NHL into this?

Forgotusername

May 17, 2016
LOL, you would cite examples but I would just ignore them? WOW...just WOW, you and I both know that is a bullshit answer.

Would have been a lot longer if MLB didn't start to hand out loser participation Wildcard spots. Playoff spots are not as special as they once were.
Posters have given you examples and yes you have ignored them, also tell me you never watched baseball without telling me you never watched baseball. So where were you when people where complaining about a 100 win team didn't make the playoffs because they were in the wrong division.

Reactions: Discoverer and kb

kb

Aug 28, 2009
So your saying if Boston and NY played to their typical standards Toronto would not have made the playoffs?

5 of 21 teams miss the playoffs in the NHL? There are 32 teams, 16 don't make it and why are you bringing the NHL into this?
And yet you are completely ignoring that the Jays didn't play offense to their typical standards.

Take the L and go.

Eyedea

The Legend Continues
Jan 29, 2012
Toronto, Ontario

I'm talking about historically, like pre-'92 expansion (modern era). Like when the Leafs were getting in with 25 wins...

Why shouldn't I bring another league into this? You're referring to the addition of a 3rd wildcard spot as a participation ribbon when less than half of the league makes the postseason which is still fewer than all of the other major sports in North America.

And sure, if Boston and NYY played to their typical standards Toronto, and likely Baltimore/Tampa would not have made the playoffs. The point is that the Jays play in the toughest division in baseball and still managed to make the playoffs. This isn't like the DBacks losing four straight to end the season and "backing in" to the playoffs with an 84-78 record and a negative run differential.

Moose Head

Mar 12, 2002
Toronto
Visit site
Funny that we have a better record than Minnesota but we are the away team.
You could also argue that the Jays are lucky to be on the weaker path

I’m willing to bet, payrolls average less in that division than any division in MLB. Chicago is the only team in a big market, but that’s Cubs town. I think if it allows one small market team a fighting chance, it’s a good thing.

Jmo89

Mar 21, 2010
I don't have an issue with the third wild card. At least not any more than the second wildcard. Considering how many teams are in the league I think 12 teams having a shot are fine, and actually enjoy the shorter series in the wild card round. I wouldn't mind seeing the next round go to 7 games but the 3/5/7/7 is actually pretty decent.

As for this Jays team... There's some serious issues there, but none of that matters starting game 1. If they're the better team for a month they could win a championship.

The season was a stinker but the playoffs could be fun. My expectations are low after last year though.

Discoverer

Apr 11, 2012
I got stats too but they are more telling, lgBA 22nd, lgOBP 24th, lgSLG 22nd, ISO 18th, R/G 14th, rBOA 12th, BB% tied for 15th, RE24 13th. RBI 17th. Their approach with base runners on is not a small ball approach, except for a few players.

or you could watch a game or two and see their shitty swing for the fences approach.

Ha, I would love to know what you think those lg stats are telling you about the Jays. Just a hint: they're literally telling you the exact opposite of the point you're trying to make.

Yes, they hit for surprisingly low power this year, mainly due to the impact the renovations had on power output.

ISO - 22nd at home, 11th on the road
R/G - 23rd at home, 7th on the road

I have no idea what rBOA is, but it seems like the Jays are ok at it since they're 12th out of 30 teams.

Last edited:

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
People really complaining how the Jays got in the post season?
The Jays play tomorrow for October baseball.

I'll be watching.
Indeed. I haven't watched a full game all season but I plan to start tomorrow. I feel like we lucked out big time with the matchup as well, love that we're favored to beat MIN despite playing on the road and our next opponent doesn't seem to be that tough either so you never know, this could be the year.

Go Jays!!

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Almost half of the AL teams (7) had 87 wins or more, 89 wins is not a super impressive accomplishment. Hey if you want to hold hands, roast marshmallows, singing "We are the Champions" around the camp fire and enjoy your super rare feat of a team winning 89 games, have at er.
LOL why so grumpy? Nobody's saying we're champions (yet), but making the playoffs is an accomplishment in itself. 89 wins isn't that impressive this is true but on the other hand, only 2 teams in the AL (and only 5 in all of baseball) won more than 90 so 89 isn't bad either.

Watch and enjoy, or be a grump. I know what I'm going to do.

Reactions: HockeyThoughts

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
Why wouldn’t they? They play in the best division in baseball and played 162 games, and qualified for the postseason.

MLB teams forever have celebrated making the playoffs like that..... Until 1994 that meant something because only division winners (and only 2 divisionsl) made the playoffs so it was a real accomplishment.

Then they added expanded the playoffs but still it was only 4. Now that they are getting closer to hockey and basketball it's diluting it but still when you play 162 games and only 6 of 15 make it that is still something so it doesn't bother me

Agree, very weird. Winning last place for playoff teams by one game is something to be proud of? Just a few years ago this was not even a playoff spot.

1. I can see back then when there was no WC spots, celebrating is something since it means they won the Division. Which means celebrating as Division Champs.
2. I know that making the playoffs is a lot tougher than in NHL and NBA, I just find it strange that teams in MLB who made the playoffs celebrate like they won something. If they win the Division, I can see that.
3. I am not dissing the Jays or other MLB teams or MLB culture, just felt strange to see players celebrate like they won

Reactions: Hellcat

DonnyNucker

Mar 28, 2017
People really complaining how the Jays got in the post season?
The Jays play tomorrow for October baseball.

I'll be watching.
I’m complaining. f*** MLB for having the games at 1:30 PST. I watched 150ish games this year and won’t watch tomorrow as I’m in meetings. I’ll also miss Wednesday as I’ll be on a plane. What a f***ing joke. I also think a lot of fans aren’t overly excited as nobody believes in this team

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad