2023 University Cup

AUS Fan

Aug 1, 2008
At the Rink
3728 at the game tonight…probably that many or more for game 3…they truly have the best fans in U Sports hockey.
I have to agree with that. A big part of that is because there is no alternative for the fans. The North Stars (Jr A) draw between 200-500 fans.

score0123

Mar 22, 2009
Capacity is right around 3700. Most sell outs have been 3709 or 3710 over the years but they must have added a few more standing room tickets last night. The ticket site crashed this morning and there were hundreds of people waiting well over an hour in line at the arena this morning. It'll definitely be another sell out.
3728 at the game tonight…probably that many or more for game 3…they truly have the best fans in U Sports hockey.

Reactions: AUS Fan and Rob

FreddyFoyle

Mar 12, 2008
Fredericton, NB
I dunno if I would go quite that far. UNB draws more consistently during the season, but I have to agree that Lakehead fans fill a similar sized rink to the AUC for playoffs, while UNB fans don't rise to the challenge in the post season (which continues to be a mystery every season). With out question I would give Lakehead accolades for best playoff fans.

Reactions: Rob

AUS Fan

Aug 1, 2008
At the Rink
I dunno if I would go quite that far. UNB draws more consistently during the season, but I have to agree that Lakehead fans fill a similar sized rink to the AUC for playoffs, while UNB fans don't rise to the challenge in the post season (which continues to be a mystery every season). With out question I would give Lakehead accolades for best playoff fans.
Stop it. Stop being defensive about UNB.
LAK avg attendance this year is 2296 for 13 home games.
UNB is 2325 for 15 home games.
That's pretty close.

Give LAK 2 more home games and I'm sure the avg will go up.

Last edited:

AUS Fan

Aug 1, 2008
At the Rink
WSR will host the Queen's Cup against either CON or UQTR with a 4-2 win in game 3 in Thunder Bay.

WSR Should be either the 3 or 4 seed in PEI, depending on next weeks Queen's Cup game.

LAK has a chance for Bronze against the loser of CON-UQTR. Game 3 in that series goes Sunday eve @ UQTR.

RED ARMY EAST

Feb 14, 2010
Freddy Beach,N.B.Canada
OUA
If UQTR beats Concordia in game three, they play in Windsor for the Queens cup. Concordia would travel to T-Bay for the OUA bronze medal match.
If Concordia knocks off the Pats, then Lakehead would have to play the Pats on the road.

AUS, are you travelling to Freddy for game 1?

AUS Fan

Aug 1, 2008
At the Rink
OUA
If UQTR beats Concordia in game three, they play in Windsor for the Queens cup. Concordia would travel to T-Bay for the OUA bronze medal match.
If Concordia knocks off the Pats, then Lakehead would have to play the Pats on the road.

AUS, are you travelling to Freddy for game 1?
I don't think so. I got stuff to do Monday morning and didn't plan on up-and-back.

AUS Fan

Aug 1, 2008
At the Rink
ALB wins 5-4 (OT). Game 3 tonight in CAL.

CON travels to UQTR for game 3 in that series.

UNB-SMU open the AUS finals tonight in FreddyBeach.

RED ARMY EAST

Feb 14, 2010
Freddy Beach,N.B.Canada
I don't think so. I got stuff to do Monday morning and didn't plan on up-and-back.
ALB wins 5-4 (OT). Game 3 tonight in CAL.

CON travels to UQTR for game 3 in that series.

UNB-SMU open the AUS finals tonight in FreddyBeach.
Alberta built up a 4-0 lead, but gave up 4 straight third period goals, before winning in overtime. Calgary outshot Alberta 28-18, including 15-5 in the third period.

Reactions: AUS Fan

AUS Fan

Aug 1, 2008
At the Rink
UQTR spotted CON a 4 goal lead and came back to win in OT 5-4. They will meet WSR on Sat for Queen's Cup.

CON will travel to LAK for the Bronze game, also on Sat.

In AUS, UNB with a 4-2 win over SMU. Game 2 Tues at SMU.

RED ARMY EAST

Feb 14, 2010
Freddy Beach,N.B.Canada
OUA Far EAST
UQTR 5-4 win in overtime, plays in Windsor for the Queens cup.
The Pats were down 3-0 early in the deciding game.
Lakehead will host Concordia in the Bronze medal game, to decide the third OUA berth at Nationals.

OUA Far EAST
UQTR 5-4 win in overtime, plays in Windsor for the Queens cup.
The Pats were down 3-0 early in the deciding game.
Lakehead will host Concordia in the Bronze medal game, to decide the third OUA berth at Nationals.
AUS, you beat me to the punch!;)

UNB Bruins Fan

Mar 11, 2008
Fredericton, NB
Windsor is probably locked into the 3rd or 4th seed…I think the CW and AUS winner would get the top two seeds regardless of who wins those series.

UQTR I could see being seeded anywhere from 1-4 depending on how the other conference finals go.

Reactions: FreddyFoyle

AUS Fan

Aug 1, 2008
At the Rink
Windsor is probably locked into the 3rd or 4th seed…I think the CW and AUS winner would get the top two seeds regardless of who wins those series.

UQTR I could see being seeded anywhere from 1-4 depending on how the other conference finals go.
I can't see UQTR at #1 even if ALB and SMU win their series. UQTR would beat a #8 ranked team while ALB/SMU beat #1/#2.
CAL could make things easier by winning tonight, then we would know the #1 and #8 seeds. Currently down 1-0 after 2.

Edit: Cal with a 2-1 win over ALB.

Last edited:
Reactions: FreddyFoyle

AUS Fan

Aug 1, 2008
At the Rink
With 7/8 of teams decided we can take a look at possible seedings???

I wrote up a long story about possible seedings and then saw Hollys post in the Bison thread.

He did a much better job encapsulating 4 different scenarios.

Here is his synopsis:

New Brunswick and U.Q.T.R. win:
#2 New Brunswick v #7 OUA Bronze
#3 U.Q.T.R. v #6 Saint Mary‛s
#1 Calgary v #8 U.P.E.I.
#4 Windsor v #5 Alberta

New Brunswick and Windsor win:
#3 Windsor v #6 Saint Mary‛s
#1 Calgary v #8 U.P.E.I.
#4 U.Q.T.R. v #5 Alberta

Saint Mary‛s and U.Q.T.R. win:
#2 U.Q.T.R. v #7 OUA Bronze
#3 Saint Mary‛s v #6 Alberta
#1 Calgary v #8 U.P.E.I.
#4 Windsor v #5 New Brunswick

Saint Mary‛s and Windsor win:
#2 Saint Mary‛s v #7 OUA Bronze
#3 Windsor v #6 Alberta
#1 Calgary v #8 U.P.E.I.
#4 U.Q.T.R. v #5 New Brunswick

He goes on to say:

"I would also not be surprised to see a further gerrymander in the first two scenarios where Saint Mary‛s and Alberta would switch places so that they would be on the opposite side of the draw from the conference champion. I don‛t tink they‛d switch U.P.E.I. and the OUA bronze team in the #7 and #8 slots.

Given the closeness of the OUA series so far, the choice of opponent may not make much difference."

A much better look at this than I did.

Stick taps for Holly.

Last edited:

Aces89

Apr 22, 2020
Never count UQTR out of any game. First game of the year Queen’s was up 4-1 and UQTR came back to win.

FreddyFoyle

Mar 12, 2008
Fredericton, NB
With 7/8 of teams decided we can take a look at possible seedings???

I wrote up a long story about possible seedings and then saw Hollys post in the Bison thread.

He did a much better job encapsulating 4 different scenarios.

Here is his synopsis:

New Brunswick and U.Q.T.R. win:
#3 U.Q.T.R. v #6 Saint Mary‛s
#1 Calgary v #8 U.P.E.I.
#4 Windsor v #5 Alberta

New Brunswick and Windsor win:
#3 Windsor v #6 Saint Mary‛s
#1 Calgary v #8 U.P.E.I.
#4 U.Q.T.R. v #5 Alberta

Saint Mary‛s and U.Q.T.R. win:
#2 U.Q.T.R. v #7 OUA Bronze
#3 Saint Mary‛s v #6 Alberta
#1 Calgary v #8 U.P.E.I.
#4 Windsor v #5 New Brunswick

Saint Mary‛s and Windsor win:
#2 Saint Mary‛s v #7 OUA Bronze
#3 Windsor v #6 Alberta
#1 Calgary v #8 U.P.E.I.
#4 U.Q.T.R. v #5 New Brunswick

He goes on to say:

"I would also not be surprised to see a further gerrymander in the first two scenarios where Saint Mary‛s and Alberta would switch places so that they would be on the opposite side of the draw from the conference champion. I don‛t tink they‛d switch U.P.E.I. and the OUA bronze team in the #7 and #8 slots.

Given the closeness of the OUA series so far, the choice of opponent may not make much difference."

A much better look at this than I did.

Stick taps for Holly.
Holly's scenarios look valid. And like AUS Fan said, I cannot see any scenario that would promote the OUA winner higher than 3rd seed, with the runner up getting the automatic 4th seed. Similarly, I cannot see any scenario where the OUA runner-up can be seeded higher than 7th.

Could UPEI be still seeded 7th? Only if the host committee needed to do so in order for the Panthers to open play Friday night, as they are planning now. But if you look at Holly's scenarios they all would have UPEI starting on Day 2, which would suit the host team fine.

UNB Bruins Fan

Mar 11, 2008
Fredericton, NB
I think UQTR would be ranked higher than SMU if both win their conference, as Holly pointed out.

Re/ putting teams from the same conferences the opposite side of the draw. I think we have saw in the past (2018 in Fredericton comes to mind) that the committee doesn’t look at “potential” match-ups. I could definitely see UNB/SMU and Calgary/Alberta be put on the same side depending on how everything plays out.

Reactions: Drummer

AUS Fan

Aug 1, 2008
At the Rink
Holly's scenarios look valid. And like AUS Fan said, I cannot see any scenario that would promote the OUA winner higher than 3rd seed, with the runner up getting the automatic 4th seed. Similarly, I cannot see any scenario where the OUA runner-up can be seeded higher than 7th.

Could UPEI be still seeded 7th? Only if the host committee needed to do so in order for the Panthers to open play Friday night, as they are planning now. But if you look at Holly's scenarios they all would have UPEI starting on Day 2, which would suit the host team fine.
The only way OUA could be #2 is a UQTR and SMU win, based on UQTR higher ranking.
I don't think it matters what the seeding is if the host decides to play Friday. SFX played Friday in 2015, SMU in 2016, Both years at UNB, 1-8 played Thursday because UNB wanted to play Thursday.

Lakeheadfan95

Jul 19, 2019
Fort William Gardens
Stop it. Stop being defensive about UNB.
LAK avg attendance this year is 2296 for 13 home games.
UNB is 2325 for 15 home games.
That's pretty close.

Give LAK 2 more home games and I'm sure the avg will go up.
Lakehead started drawing crowds after Christmas if they had drawn etter crowds first half it probably average at 2500ish

UNB Bruins Fan

Mar 11, 2008
Fredericton, NB
Lakehead started drawing crowds after Christmas if they had drawn etter crowds first half it probably average at 2500ish
Is that how it typically goes there? Or was it because people started to realize they’re pretty good? I know UNB seems to draw better in the second half because, I assume, the games are typically a little bit more higher stakes.

What has Lakehead’s attendance been like during their down years?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad