2023 University Cup

dm8895

V-Reds , McJesus Stan , Beer Leaguer
Apr 3, 2015
Freddy Beach
There is only one program that draws in the oua cause there is no other options I mean this as no offense to any of the guys that play in the gta area but are you gonna go watch bollers and purboo or pay the extra $50 and go watch matthews and marner
I’d go to the CIS game, its more than $65 to go see the Leafs play lmao..
I’ve never seen a regular season NHL game where I left thinking the intensity level was as high as a University or Junior game (largely do to the amount of games , I saw Boston-SJ and the Sharks were playing game 3 in 4 days, I felt like I was being robbed )My season pass at UNB is less than a Leaf’s ticket.
NHL hockey is a special event to attend for the average person. You could afford to attend every TMU game off the income of a paper route…. Lmao

Last edited:
Reactions: KKWG11

FreddyFoyle

Mar 12, 2008
Fredericton, NB
It occurred to me that probably every U SPORTS head coach turned to his assistant coach after that game and said, "remind me to never ever let us get into a track meet with UNB or Alberta!"

Lakeheadfan95

Jul 19, 2019
Fort William Gardens
Lakeheads home attendance

Non conference: 1555, 1340, 1941, 2000.

Reg season: 1980, 1932, 2900, 1180, 2080, 2304, 2903, 2114, 2142, 2297, 2397, 2876, 2771.

Playoffs: 3609, 2789, 3728, 3491, 3604.

MiamiHockeyII

Mar 24, 2022
Bob Stauffer interviewed Ian Herbers on his Oilers Now program yesterday. You can listen to the interview on Spotify.

For those of you interested in Herbers' thought process in the PEI game, it's worth a listen. In sum, Herbers said that right after Alberta made it 1-0, PEI sent out their Checking Line and started targeting guys, and that continued for the entire game. Herbers harkened back to the Semi Final game vs USask in 2019 where there was a fight, and wanted to avoid a scene like that, so they made the decision (to get off the ice) with about 5 minutes left in the game.

Three thoughts:

1) Herbers has a wealth of experience as a player and coach in some tough loops. He would have a good feel for the game and where it could be heading, and I imagine it had to be pretty bad for him to make that call. The tone of the game can be very different on the ice than what you can observe from the stands.

2) For those waving the "Sportsmanship" flag, it's one thing for the losing team to skate off without shaking hands, but very different for the winning team to do so. I have no problem with Herbers' decision given what happened in the game. The way that the PEI players tried to follow Alberta into their bench only reinforces to me that the UPEI team was out of control, and Herbers made the right call.

3) Unrelated to the PEI game ... Stauffer went on at length about how the team was "rebuilding" (good grief), as if not having an absolutely stacked team was an excuse for not winning. Quick thought: has Alberta ever won without having the most talented team on the ice? Food for thought ...

AUS Fan

Aug 1, 2008
At the Rink
Bob Stauffer interviewed Ian Herbers on his Oilers Now program yesterday. You can listen to the interview on Spotify.

For those of you interested in Herbers' thought process in the PEI game, it's worth a listen. In sum, Herbers said that right after Alberta made it 1-0, PEI sent out their Checking Line and started targeting guys, and that continued for the entire game. Herbers harkened back to the Semi Final game vs USask in 2019 where there was a fight, and wanted to avoid a scene like that, so they made the decision (to get off the ice) with about 5 minutes left in the game.

Three thoughts:

1) Herbers has a wealth of experience as a player and coach in some tough loops. He would have a good feel for the game and where it could be heading, and I imagine it had to be pretty bad for him to make that call. The tone of the game can be very different on the ice than what you can observe from the stands.

2) For those waving the "Sportsmanship" flag, it's one thing for the losing team to skate off without shaking hands, but very different for the winning team to do so. I have no problem with Herbers' decision given what happened in the game. The way that the PEI players tried to follow Alberta into their bench only reinforces to me that the UPEI team was out of control, and Herbers made the right call.

3) Unrelated to the PEI game ... Stauffer went on at length about how the team was "rebuilding" (good grief), as if not having an absolutely stacked team was an excuse for not winning. Quick thought: has Alberta ever won without having the most talented team on the ice? Food for thought ...
I've given some thought to the "leaving the ice" thing and have to agree that it was probably the right thing to do. Because I'm not a huge fan of Herbers, my original thoughts were biased. I could see from the stands and we talked about it between periods how UPEI was overly agressive. The mob scene at the ALB bench when they left the ice was not a good look.

Bob is truly a defender of the Golden Bears.

FreddyFoyle

Mar 12, 2008
Fredericton, NB
I've given some thought to the "leaving the ice" thing and have to agree that it was probably the right thing to do. Because I'm not a huge fan of Herbers, my original thoughts were biased. I could see from the stands and we talked about it between periods how UPEI was overly agressive. The mob scene at the ALB bench when they left the ice was not a good look.

Bob is truly a defender of the Golden Bears.
In hindsight Herbers might have been right. I didn't agree at the time. The UNB players I talked to thought Herbers was putting on a show, since their series with SMU was far more physical and injurious, and they shook hands. But then, they are UNB players and Alberta is a rival.

UNB was rebuilding too. Just as young a team. Just saying ...

RED ARMY EAST

Feb 14, 2010
Freddy Beach,N.B.Canada
In hindsight Herbers might have been right. I didn't agree at the time. The UNB players I talked to thought Herbers was putting on a show, since their series with SMU was far more physical and injurious, and they shook hands. But then, they are UNB players and Alberta is a rival.

UNB was rebuilding too. Just as young a team. Just saying ...
Yes, this years version of UNB was also a rebuild.

dm8895

V-Reds , McJesus Stan , Beer Leaguer
Apr 3, 2015
Freddy Beach
They also keep pushing the narrative of how Alberta was banged up, Landry and McCallum were both out (Landry did play a few shifts early in the final) and I know Carson was playing injured.

Reactions: FreddyFoyle

AUS Fan

Aug 1, 2008
At the Rink
They also keep pushing the narrative of how Alberta was banged up, Landry and McCallum were both out (Landry did play a few shifts early in the final) and I know Carson was playing injured.
Hey... You guys won. Let it go. It's just a game.

If I had a nickel for every time a coach told me a bit of a "sandbagging" story, I'd have a few bucks.

All coaches do this to a certain extent as do some fanboys.

If you're not a coach, don't make excuses. As I said before, other players will step up.

UNB had injuries and beat SMU 4-1 and ALB 3-0.

Attachments

• Over.gif
    Over.gif
    5.4 MB · Views: 3
Reactions: timbitca and Rob

Bob Stauffer

Aug 4, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
Thanks for listening to the Interview.

What part of me saying UNB was just better on Sunday...did u not understand?

The Bears had a better, deeper team than UNB last season...alas they lost in OT to UQTR
I have been watching Alberta for over 40 years...
On paper, this was lightest team in terms of real depth that Alberta has had since at least 1997-98!
Ian Herbers also said in the interview that this year's edition of the Golden Bears lacked the high-end skill of last year's team.

Alberta has NOT had the most talent every year...UNB had a better team in 07-08...but the Bears prevailed.

Bottom line. Alberta didn't have the services of 3 20+ point guys (28-game sked) basically since the 5 minute-mark of the opening game against Windsor.
Forwards Ryan Hughes and Adam Hall were on the PP units and top 2 lines...
D Wyatt McLeod was in Alberta's top 4...

Herbers had 4 NON-WHL forwards fill out his bottom 6 up front in the final 2 games in PEI...I cant remember that being the case in the last 20 seasons...

That lack of depth, combined with playing 3 games in 3 days...and playing an opponent of the caliber of UNB was too much to overcome as the Golden Bears ran out of juice in the third of the University Cup Final.

All that said it was a decent showing from an undermanned Golden Bears squad!

AUS Fan

Aug 1, 2008
At the Rink
So, Bob has presented his defense of the Bears.

I'm waiting for a UNB guy to reply with "well, we had injuries because of that dirty SMU team and we still managed to win. Plus some guys didn't like the pre-game meal but we still won."

And Bob will come back with something about not having 5 x 100 point guys for the first time since 1900.

And on and on.......

I'm glad I got to see the 2 best teams in the country. I've been a big ALB fan for a while and added UNB when they became competitive.

FreddyFoyle

Mar 12, 2008
Fredericton, NB
The best TEAMS find ways to win despite injuries. Having a deep bench is obviously part of that (or maybe most of that). I think sometimes we forget that a lot of U SPORTS teams have Top-6 forwards from Junior playing bottom-6 roles (and top D pairing guys playing in 2nd or 3rd pairing) at university who have the ability to step up when called upon. If you don't have depth, then of course injuries can be crushing for the team.

A coach once told me, "if your players aren't getting banged up in the playoffs, you're not playing hard enough."

Reactions: RED ARMY EAST

AdamMcg83

Oct 12, 2011
www.twitter.com
That was 1 game against WSR late in the season
The 1300 attendance game at TMU was their homecoming game. I really don't know what to expect.
The best TEAMS find ways to win despite injuries. Having a deep bench is obviously part of that (or maybe most of that). I think sometimes we forget that a lot of U SPORTS teams have Top-6 forwards from Junior playing bottom-6 roles (and top D pairing guys playing in 2nd or 3rd pairing) at university who have the ability to step up when called upon. If you don't have depth, then of course injuries can be crushing for the team.

A coach once told me, "if your players aren't getting banged up in the playoffs, you're not playing hard enough."
By "a lot of USports teams," do you mean Alberta, UNB, and a handful of other AUS teams? It's only common to have a top-6 fwd in junior playing bottom-6 mins in USports if you're one of the powerhouses. This is in the same vein as Bob's "rebuilding" proclamation with Alberta - it only works in the narrow scope of things. Most Usports teams have filled their their bottom 6/3rd pairing with guys who, at best, split time between Jr A and major junior.

It's true, the best teams find ways to win despite injury. But let's not pretend that the depth of UNB or Alberta is somehow comparable to the rest of the country - they're deeper because a major junior player can get more scholarship dollars and chances to win playing on the fourth line in Fredericton or Edmonton than they can playing top line minutes at Manitoba or Western.

FreddyFoyle

Mar 12, 2008
Fredericton, NB
The 1300 attendance game at TMU was their homecoming game. I really don't know what to expect.

By "a lot of USports teams," do you mean Alberta, UNB, and a handful of other AUS teams? It's only common to have a top-6 fwd in junior playing bottom-6 mins in USports if you're one of the powerhouses. This is in the same vein as Bob's "rebuilding" proclamation with Alberta - it only works in the narrow scope of things. Most Usports teams have filled their their bottom 6/3rd pairing with guys who, at best, split time between Jr A and major junior.

It's true, the best teams find ways to win despite injury. But let's not pretend that the depth of UNB or Alberta is somehow comparable to the rest of the country - they're deeper because a major junior player can get more scholarship dollars and chances to win playing on the fourth line in Fredericton or Edmonton than they can playing top line minutes at Manitoba or Western.
And Carleton men's basketball has benchwarmers who would probably be in the starting five for most other teams. Life isn't always fair.

AUS Fan

Aug 1, 2008
At the Rink

I fully agree with this comment. A lot of teams don't even have top 6 CHL guys on their roster.

This has always been an "irritant" about UNB fans - they have no concept of how the rest of the country functions. Everything they see is shaped in reference to UNB. They lose 2-in-a-row and everyone is scouring the history books to find when this last happened. Meanwhile UdeM loses 9-in-a-row, ACA played last year with Intermural guys after their players left during the mini Covid shutdown. Every team is not UNB or ALB.
Both ALB and UNB have great programs, great coaches and I enjoy watching them. But, to make it appear that any team can have top 6 guys on their 4th line is a stretch.
Guys go to UNB or ALB because they know they are almost guarenteed to go to the Nationals and get exposure.
Guys go to SASK or SMU because ALB and UNB didn't want them. (Bit of hyperbole, but you get the idea).

That's it. Down off my soapbox.

FreddyFoyle

Mar 12, 2008
Fredericton, NB
I fully agree with this comment. A lot of teams don't even have top 6 CHL guys on their roster.

This has always been an "irritant" about UNB fans - they have no concept of how the rest of the country functions. Everything they see is shaped in reference to UNB. They lose 2-in-a-row and everyone is scouring the history books to find when this last happened. Meanwhile UdeM loses 9-in-a-row, ACA played last year with Intermural guys after their players left during the mini Covid shutdown. Every team is not UNB or ALB.
Both ALB and UNB have great programs, great coaches and I enjoy watching them. But, to make it appear that any team can have top 6 guys on their 4th line is a stretch.
Guys go to UNB or ALB because they know they are almost guarenteed to go to the Nationals and get exposure.
Guys go to SASK or SMU because ALB and UNB didn't want them. (Bit of hyperbole, but you get the idea).

That's it. Down off my soapbox.
True. There is a different perspective in Fredericton.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $340.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Bologna vs Udinese
    Bologna vs Udinese
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $365.00