2023 University Cup

RED ARMY EAST

Feb 14, 2010
Freddy Beach,N.B.Canada
UNB 3-0 over Alberta
Big surprise to see Landry on the backend for this game.
Alberta playing on three straight nights and UNB's pressure game paid a toll on Alberta's defence.
Bears only mustered 17 shots, including being outshot 11-2 in the third period and had trouble penetrating the neutral zone.

UNB Bruins Fan

Mar 11, 2008
Fredericton, NB
UNB 3-0 over Alberta
Big surprise to see Landry on the backend for this game.
Alberta playing on three straight nights and UNB's pressure game paid a toll on Alberta's defence.
Bears only mustered 17 shots, including being outshot 11-2 in the third period and had trouble penetrating the neutral zone.
Did Landry play a regular shift? Saw a bit in the beginning but don’t remember seeing him as the game went on.

Surprised Alberta only had two shots in the 3rd when they were down 1-0…thought they would be throwing everything at UNB and the Reds would have to hold on and survive an onslaught. They must’ve been gassed.

AUS Fan

Aug 1, 2008
At the Rink
Did Landry play a regular shift? Saw a bit in the beginning but don’t remember seeing him as the game went on.

Surprised Alberta only had two shots in the 3rd when they were down 1-0…thought they would be throwing everything at UNB and the Reds would have to hold on and survive an onslaught. They must’ve been gassed.
He played a fair bit. Didn't look out of place.

I agree with ALB being tired.

Carleton

Dec 17, 2022

Unfortunately Landry’s last shift was with approximately 6/7 minutes left in the 1st. Gutsy effort. Running 5 D since game 2 vs. SMU.

Barrsy

May 14, 2017
It's a shame that the game was only available on a webcast, think it should be televised nationally!
Yeah, it was on CBC GEM which anyone who has a device of any sort could have watched it on that

AUS Fan

Aug 1, 2008
At the Rink
Another U-Cup in the books.

Packing and heading back home.

Some good games, some not so good.

Yesterday and last night, talking to a few locals I had met during the week and the only topic was the non-handshake. No mention of the other thing. It's typical of any fanbase to circle the wagons and put your head in the sand.... Or somewhere.
Good to see some familiar faces from UNB plus meeting other folks from around the Maritimes.

All in all it was a good event. I wouldn't rank it top of my list nor bottom. That place will always be reserved for Kitchener with honorable mention to Lethbridge.

Until next time, keep your head up and your stick on the ice.

902RedIslander

Nov 2, 2022
Overall a great weekend in Charlottetown! A few entertaining games for sure between UPEI and CAL/ UNB and UQTR / ALB and UNB. Scrolling through twitter and other sites it's unfortunate how UPEI's antics with ALB took away from parts of an otherwise fun weekend of hockey.

And of course, since everyone is entitled to their own opinion...UPEI looked like a bunch of dummies against ALB in the SF. Plain and simple. At no part in that SF game did they ever give themselves even a remote chance to win. Once the game really started to tilt for the Bears...the Panthers inexperience was all over the ice. No composure. No interest in the details. No nothing. They looked frustrated at how outclassed they were by a better team and turned to a physical formula that had no chance of going anywhere. I also thought Coach Forbie's post game comments were interesting...lots of talk about competing for a national championship, how his group plays with a lot of energy, and what it means for the program. I think what he should have made more clear was that his group had no composure when it mattered, how undisciplined his team was for most of the game, and how far they have to go to even get a sniff at this again. Those comments would have been more believable.

In the moment I liked Coach Herbers call to leave the ice. To me (at the time) it said more about how they had a bigger game to play than what the Panthers were offering. The purists will say that you always always shake hands and I'd agree with that too. In hindsight, in that moment...I'm really not sure what I would have done. I guess that's why I'm only a fan cashing in points for a weekend away from the wife and kids!!!

See you in the fall!

FreddyFoyle

Mar 12, 2008
Fredericton, NB
Overall a great weekend in Charlottetown! A few entertaining games for sure between UPEI and CAL/ UNB and UQTR / ALB and UNB. Scrolling through twitter and other sites it's unfortunate how UPEI's antics with ALB took away from parts of an otherwise fun weekend of hockey.

And of course, since everyone is entitled to their own opinion...UPEI looked like a bunch of dummies against ALB in the SF. Plain and simple. At no part in that SF game did they ever give themselves even a remote chance to win. Once the game really started to tilt for the Bears...the Panthers inexperience was all over the ice. No composure. No interest in the details. No nothing. They looked frustrated at how outclassed they were by a better team and turned to a physical formula that had no chance of going anywhere. I also thought Coach Forbie's post game comments were interesting...lots of talk about competing for a national championship, how his group plays with a lot of energy, and what it means for the program. I think what he should have made more clear was that his group had no composure when it mattered, how undisciplined his team was for most of the game, and how far they have to go to even get a sniff at this again. Those comments would have been more believable.

In the moment I liked Coach Herbers call to leave the ice. To me (at the time) it said more about how they had a bigger game to play than what the Panthers were offering. The purists will say that you always always shake hands and I'd agree with that too. In hindsight, in that moment...I'm really not sure what I would have done. I guess that's why I'm only a fan cashing in points for a weekend away from the wife and kids!!!

See you in the fall!
Some thoughts (other than what I have already posted on Twitter):

I absolutely LOVED the UNB-Alberta final; my favourite hockey is fast skilled hockey and that is exactly what we got, including zero penalties. UNB played their best game of the season for a full 60 minutes when it mattered most. The fact that both teams have young rosters bodes well for the future.

Playoff hockey is passionate hockey amped to the max. I accept that it is a challenge for players to keep their emotions from boiling over. Forbie MacPherson said he "would rather tame a tiger than paint stripes on a cat." Kind of describes UPEI hockey. Against Calgary, Forbie's goal was "to bring a fast and physical forecheck like nothing they would have seen this season". Mission accomplished.

However, Alberta obviously took notes. They are more skilled and quicker at getting the puck out of their own zone than Calgary. The UPEI forecheck wasn't as effective as before. They got frustrated and took too many penalties. Then the "Incident". I cannot condone running a goalie nor sucker punching him in the face. Refs made it worse by not giving Beauregard 2, 5, and a game to send a stronger message.

BUT... Game 2 of the UNB-SMU series saw many dangerous headshots (and not all called), plus an uncalled knee on knee that ended the season for a UNB d-man, for a total of four (4!) Reds not finishing that game -- and they still shook hands at the end of the series.

There were no other "incidents" involving UPEI in the 14 minutes of play after the goalie running. Did the Panthers play a rough game to try to get the Bears off theirs? Well yeah, that's how they play. It's the Nationals, win or go home, so play to your strengths. Alberta had ample power play opportunities to bury UPEI but they didn't deliver. UPEI's brand of hockey isn't my favourite, but it is how Islanders have always played the game. Don't like it? Then don't play them, or hope the game is called tight (and be prepared for acts of frustration).

AUS Fan

Aug 1, 2008
At the Rink
Except Forbie couldn't throw his guy under the bus. Hence the "140 lb, right hander, never hit him" response.

Something must have been said to Forbie and/or the team before the Bronze game as it was totally different. The Pilons had less ice time and there was none of the garbage from the previous game.

One thing that I noticed at the Bronze game - the anthem singer sang the original words ( in all our sons command) and didn't do the French verse for UQTR. A different singer did the new version and French part for ALB-UNB.

I forgot to mention that my hockey is not over. NCAA Regionals are this week Thurs-Sun.

timbitca

Feb 15, 2007
JLL Press Box
Something must have been said to Forbie and/or the team before the Bronze game as it was totally different. The Pilons had less ice time and there was none of the garbage from the previous game.
Game 1 of our quarter finals series was a good hockey. Game 2 UPEI played like they did against ALB. A miracle none of our guys got hurt. Game 3 they had to play hockey again.

I've bitten my tongue so far, but I find it comical that Lajeunesse, or anyone on the Panthers, got Most Sportsmanlike in the AUS and/or U Sports. He was running around trying to start shit after every whistle in the QF series.

FreddyFoyle

Mar 12, 2008
Fredericton, NB
Except Forbie couldn't throw his guy under the bus. Hence the "140 lb, right hander, never hit him" response.

I agree.

902RedIslander

Nov 2, 2022
Some thoughts (other than what I have already posted on Twitter):

I absolutely LOVED the UNB-Alberta final; my favourite hockey is fast skilled hockey and that is exactly what we got, including zero penalties. UNB played their best game of the season for a full 60 minutes when it mattered most. The fact that both teams have young rosters bodes well for the future.

Playoff hockey is passionate hockey amped to the max. I accept that it is a challenge for players to keep their emotions from boiling over. Forbie MacPherson said he "would rather tame a tiger than paint stripes on a cat." Kind of describes UPEI hockey. Against Calgary, Forbie's goal was "to bring a fast and physical forecheck like nothing they would have seen this season". Mission accomplished.

However, Alberta obviously took notes. They are more skilled and quicker at getting the puck out of their own zone than Calgary. The UPEI forecheck wasn't as effective as before. They got frustrated and took too many penalties. Then the "Incident". I cannot condone running a goalie nor sucker punching him in the face. Refs made it worse by not giving Beauregard 2, 5, and a game to send a stronger message.

BUT... Game 2 of the UNB-SMU series saw many dangerous headshots (and not all called), plus an uncalled knee on knee that ended the season for a UNB d-man, for a total of four (4!) Reds not finishing that game -- and they still shook hands at the end of the series.

There were no other "incidents" involving UPEI in the 14 minutes of play after the goalie running. Did the Panthers play a rough game to try to get the Bears off theirs? Well yeah, that's how they play. It's the Nationals, win or go home, so play to your strengths. Alberta had ample power play opportunities to bury UPEI but they didn't deliver. UPEI's brand of hockey isn't my favourite, but it is how Islanders have always played the game. Don't like it? Then don't play them, or hope the game is called tight (and be prepared for acts of frustration).
Bang on...

The final was certainly the fast skilled high tempo game Herbers was talking about in his SF post game presser.

Foyler is right about UPEI's brand of hockey and you either like it or you don't. Yes - hard to play against, but way too undisciplined and short fused for this stage. Christ...Coach Macpherson even said he has a room full of personalities.

FreddyFoyle

Mar 12, 2008
Fredericton, NB
There's a story going around that Herbers didn't accept his silver medal?

I was busy cleaning up the hockey equipment on the ice and wasn't watching the medal presentations.

Drummer

Better Red than Dead
Mar 20, 2009
Freddy Beach, NB
www.vredshockey.com
Yeah, it was on CBC GEM which anyone who has a device of any sort could have watched it on that
Yes, but my Smart TV doesn't have a GEM app and the web browser app didn't work due to a Java error on the webpage so I had to use the HDMI output of my Laptop into another source on my TV to watch it with friends who came over. A real pain (but it worked) - YouTube simulcast would have been nice - they did it for all of the other games (that works on my TV).

Yeah - I was expecting a Concordia finish for sure - they ran out of legs.

UNB Bruins Fan

Mar 11, 2008
Fredericton, NB
Yes, but my Smart TV doesn't have a GEM app and the web browser app didn't work due to a Java error on the webpage so I had to use the HDMI output of my Laptop into another source on my TV to watch it with friends who came over. A real pain (but it worked) - YouTube simulcast would have been nice - they did it for all of the other games (that works on my TV).
I had exact same issue. I thought the YouTube stream for the earlier games came through pretty good…certainly much better quality/less choppy than running it through the laptop with an HDMI…so I was disappointed that option wasn’t available for the final.

Rob

Feb 27, 2002
New Brunswick
Visit site
Looking forward to the U Cup being in Toronto next year. I know there is some skepticism regarding how well it will be attended (due to low attendance figures in the OUA) but I don't think it will really be that bad. Toronto is a central location for many fans. For example I'm sure more Alberta fans would be willing to fly to Toronto than go to the Maritimes to watch their team. Seating capacity is only around 2700 so the optics won't look so bad. TMU's game should at least sell out.

AUS Fan

Aug 1, 2008
At the Rink
Looking forward to the U Cup being in Toronto next year. I know there is some skepticism regarding how well it will be attended (due to low attendance figures in the OUA) but I don't think it will really be that bad. Toronto is a central location for many fans. For example I'm sure more Alberta fans would be willing to fly to Toronto than go to the Maritimes to watch their team. Seating capacity is only around 2700 so the optics won't look so bad. TMU's game should at least sell out.

Home games for TMU

Reg Season: 280, 200, 179, 134, 135, 160, 120, 134, 89, 201, 90, 1300, 525.

Playoffs: 210, 215.

Lakeheadfan95

Jul 19, 2019
Fort William Gardens
There is only one program that draws in the oua cause there is no other options I mean this as no offense to any of the guys that play in the gta area but are you gonna go watch bollers and purboo or pay the extra $50 and go watch matthews and marner

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad