Prospect Info: 2023 Southeast Rookie Showcase | September 15th -18th | Hertz Arena in Estero, FL

Point21

Oct 23, 2018
Groshev looks like he gets shot out of a cannon anytime there is a loose puck. holy shit

OffBy1

Aug 5, 2021
Great to see Groshev finally finish one. He was reminding me of Kuch his rookie season, getting breakaway after breakaway and never scoring on them. He's been a standout all three games.

Merela's pass to set up Robert after falling down was nice as well.

Point21

Oct 23, 2018
has there been any news on what is gonna happen with Groulx? i know he was offered another position in the organization but havent heard anything since

TheDaysOf 04

[ 2 6 ] [ 4 ]
Jun 23, 2007
NJ
Good tournament for the Bolts. Despite the score today, I don't think Florida really outplayed us. Bolts had a 5 on 3 in the first they couldn't get anything out of, Usau had 2 great chances in the 2nd, Groshev had a few grade 'A's as well. 35 shots on goal, but only 2 goals. And then the other game I viewed against Nashville, they were probably the most quote-unquote talented team we faced with a number of 1st and 2nd rounders in their lineup: Yaroslav Askarov (11th), Joakim Kemell (17th), Fedor Svechkov (19th), Tanner Molendyk (24th), Zachary L'Heureux (27th), Reid Schaefer (32nd), Luke Evangelista (42nd), Egor Afanasyev (45th) - and prospect pool rankings be damned, that ended up being a nice win for us.

Groshev and Merela have positioned themselves well for training camp and preseason games. If they keep doing all the little things well, I have to believe they'll make a strong case. The hockey IQ is strong for both players. Potentially they can have a greater impact than Watson or Brown, so I'm rooting for them. Groshev is 21 turning 22 in December and has played parts of the past 4 years in the KHL. Same for Merela (25 years old) who has been in the Liiga playing on a championship team. You could see for a tournament like this, they're more experienced than the average player here, and physically they're NHL ready, so maybe not a shock they raised to the top. Obviously the NHL is a whole different animal, but it's easier to go into the rest of September with some confidence behind you from these 3 games.

Point21

Oct 23, 2018
I'm seeing a lot of "wow" but how did Groshev look out there? Anything better than "wow"?
He looks like someone that wants a roster spot and will most likely be one of the final cuts if he doesn't make the roster out of camp. He had multiple scoring chances today and alot of it was his ability to use speed to burn the dmen. Im really excited to see what he can do against NHL'ers and maybe he even gets a chance in the top 6 during the preseason

Reactions: Peacefool

Crunchrulz

Apr 30, 2010
USA
I'm not sure Alnefelt is ready to be the backup.

Groshev definitely has the most chances, many he's created with his speed.
Hugo needs an injury free season in the AHL as number one to determine his future in the organization. That spot is his to win or lose this year for the Crunch. He has shown flashes of great play in Syracuse, but seemingly every time he gets on a roll he gets hurt.
Should the role prove too much for him in our organization, there should be plenty of buyers for a young goalie with his potential to get a shot with another organization. As we have seen in the past, sometimes a change of scenery is just what is needed to kick a young player's game to that next level.

Reactions: DistantThunderRep

DistantThunderRep

Mar 8, 2018
I'm seeing a lot of "wow" but how did Groshev look out there? Anything better than "wow"?
"Amazing"

Guy looks like he's either NHL ready or just on the cusp. Pre-Season will be a good indicator. His positioning is great. In good spots to pick up pucks, got legs for the transition, great shot, great vision and great IQ. Both games I watched, he was easily one of the best players on the ice for both teams. He seems like he is too good for this level of prospects, might be too good for the AHL, or just not good enough for the NHL. Not really sure right now, but the pre-season games should be a good indication of where he stands. I wouldn't say he's a lock for this season (could make the team still though), but next season if he progresses this way in the AHL, I would lock him in for the 3rd line easily next season.

Merela is easily too good for this level. Guy is the perfect 3rd liner in my eyes. I think he might be too good for the AHL, but I am just some idiot. I personally would play him this year on the third or fourth line. He's that good in my eyes.

Lilleberg was a surprise, some time in the AHL and he should be another surprise Perbix for us.

Hugo needs an injury free season in the AHL as number one to determine his future in the organization. That spot is his to win or lose this year for the Crunch. He has shown flashes of great play in Syracuse, but seemingly every time he gets on a roll he gets hurt.
Should the role prove too much for him in our organization, there should be plenty of buyers for a young goalie with his potential to get a shot with another organization. As we have seen in the past, sometimes a change of scenery is just what is needed to kick a young player's game to that next level.
I agree on Hugo. He might be a good asset to move during the regular season at the TDL to a team looking for a goalie with upside.

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
Rookie tournaments are such an unusual setup. The teams are cobbled together, and the games themselves aren't that meaningful. They do a shootout at the end just because.

I'd be interested in seeing Groshev in pre-season games, but I'd still expect him to end up in Syracuse.

Reactions: Meuracas

Crunchrulz

Apr 30, 2010
USA
"Amazing"

Guy looks like he's either NHL ready or just on the cusp. Pre-Season will be a good indicator. His positioning is great. In good spots to pick up pucks, got legs for the transition, great shot, great vision and great IQ. Both games I watched, he was easily one of the best players on the ice for both teams. He seems like he is too good for this level of prospects, might be too good for the AHL, or just not good enough for the NHL. Not really sure right now, but the pre-season games should be a good indication of where he stands. I wouldn't say he's a lock for this season (could make the team still though), but next season if he progresses this way in the AHL, I would lock him in for the 3rd line easily next season.

Merela is easily too good for this level. Guy is the perfect 3rd liner in my eyes. I think he might be too good for the AHL, but I am just some idiot. I personally would play him this year on the third or fourth line. He's that good in my eyes.

Lilleberg was a surprise, some time in the AHL and he should be another surprise Perbix for us.

I agree on Hugo. He might be a good asset to move during the regular season at the TDL to a team looking for a goalie with upside.
HOLY SMACK! You and I agree? Thank you, and someone please make a note of this date! Have an amazing evening DTR!

Reactions: Meuracas

Ducati Boy

HF Original
Feb 7, 2018
So, based on this, who continues on to main camp? Groshev, Melera, Liljeberg, Goncalves, Carlisle, Thompson - am I missing anyone?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad