GDT: 2023 NLDS: (1) Atlanta Braves vs. (4) Philadelphia Phillies

ATL vs PHI

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

BMOK33

Oct 5, 2005
wow, really thought the braves were going to cruise to a title with that team

every 100 game winner is out

I think never facing any adversity all year is bad. We've seen many 1 seeds in the NHL have this issue too in the past. I equated this to the 30 or 40 year old who has sort of had the easy life, rich parents, maybe good health then all of a sudden stuff starts going wrong, sick spouse/sick friend/loses job...they melt down while the guy who had the rough upbringing and always had to work and fight for stuff grinds their way through it.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Baseball playoffs are not designed for the best teams to succeed. More than any other sport, because the season is so long and by comparison the playoffs and each round are so short. The best team in the league would still only expect to win a 5-game series from the worst team in the league like 80% of the time. Maybe a bit more considering how bad teams try to be now, but the math is always against them when you consider that the chances go down when they get to play only good teams.

Halladay

Feb 27, 2009
H Town
Braves choked butPhillies got a lot off balls off the plate late in the game.

Still Hvent seen that check swing replay either.
I thought it was swing and an actual strike. First glance I didnt think he went but from replays he did imo.

Acuna didnt stay and talk to reporters apparently, said he had to catch the bus :laugh:. His teammates stayed and answered questions. Excellent clubhouse there.

Last edited:

AtlantaWhaler

Thrash/Preds/Sabres
Jul 3, 2009
Bah. Pitching exposed and bats were harmless. Not a good combo.

Everyone has a different take...for me, this season was a stark contrast to the WS year for AA. In the WS year, he did everything right in recognising the holes and adding the perfect pieces.

This season, everyone knew that there were major questions in LF, SS (w/o Dansby), and at DH after Ozuna's "incident". None of those spots were really addressed. Then at the deadline, everyone knew the biggest issue, by far, was our starting pitching. He did nothing.

I am hoping for a busy offseason. Hopefully he learns that there never is enough depth.

Congrats Philly fans.

Reactions: Jack Straw and SnS

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
I have not seen the overhead but it does not look like a swing to me. The pitch is right on the corner though.

southsideIrish

Nov 23, 2019
One of Saturn's moons
Bah. Pitching exposed and bats were harmless. Not a good combo.

Everyone has a different take...for me, this season was a stark contrast to the WS year for AA. In the WS year, he did everything right in recognising the holes and adding the perfect pieces.

This season, everyone knew that there were major questions in LF, SS (w/o Dansby), and at DH after Ozuna's "incident". None of those spots were really addressed. Then at the deadline, everyone knew the biggest issue, by far, was our starting pitching. He did nothing.

I am hoping for a busy offseason. Hopefully he learns that there never is enough depth.

Congrats Philly fans.
They still have a solid core and will for years. If anyone had told me that team would score 8 runs total in 4 games (and 5 of those in one game) I'd probably have dropped a thousand bucks on a bet right there.

Have to disagree though - that team was stacked. DH was fine with the Murphy/TDA tandem. SS ended up being fine and they had plenty of depth in the OF. Murphy though for whatever reason became useless around mid-year.

I'm a big advocate for always getting more pitching, but other than Game 3 they did ok. With that lineup holding the Phillies to 3, 4, and 3 is just fine. They lost cause their generational offense literally disappeared. I'm all for adding another reliable starter in the offseason though.

AtlantaWhaler

Thrash/Preds/Sabres
Jul 3, 2009
They still have a solid core and will for years. If anyone had told me that team would score 8 runs total in 4 games (and 5 of those in one game) I'd probably have dropped a thousand bucks on a bet right there.

Have to disagree though - that team was stacked. DH was fine with the Murphy/TDA tandem. SS ended up being fine and they had plenty of depth in the OF. Murphy though for whatever reason became useless around mid-year.

I'm a big advocate for always getting more pitching, but other than Game 3 they did ok. With that lineup holding the Phillies to 3, 4, and 3 is just fine. They lost cause their generational offense literally disappeared. I'm all for adding another reliable starter in the offseason though.
Certainly agree about the core. Probably the best in baseball and will remain the core for a long time.

Disagree with the other team assessment. After the All-Star break, the team was average. Arcia was outstanding the first couple months, but was below average the rest of the season. Rosario was bad all season. Ozuna had good streaks, but was mainly a .225 hitter. Not what you want out of your DH.

And the pitching fell off half-way through the season. Was never great outside of Strider (considering Fried was injured).

I do agree that the bats was the main reason we lost to the Phillies, but there were too many obvious holes in the Braves and none of them were addressed.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 6
    Staked: $6,201.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,447.00