GDT: 2023 NHL Entry Draft Day 2 Rounds 2-7 - 11AM ET, ESPN, ESPN+

B17 Apricots

May 18, 2016
These guys are in the wrong era, what's up with this draft philosophy? I'm relieved we at least took Perreault. Even when they drafted Hagelin and Fast, they were high talent, productive players that became good role players... you need guys that are actually good at hockey. Buch and Duke in the 3rd... Berard and Edstrom look like good picks. Those are the types of shots you take.. theyre not all going to work but these past 2 drafts there were some big head scratchers. Laba, Mancini, Karpa, Larsson, Roobroeck, Henricks... when I think of drafting an overager I'm thinking of players that are pulling ahead of their peers, guys that are playing professionally, guys where if you said if we drafted this guy the year before and this was their D+1 or D+2 would we perceive this as a good year... the sorts of players they're looking at here are a dime a dozen, guys that might project as bottom liners. These guys are easily replaced for cheap in free agency. Vesey is making 800k. I'm not interested in hearing its late in the draft, its a crapshoot... theres other teams taking swings all draft.. I'll take my chances on talent over this every time

Aiden Fink off the board with Poiles last pick

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
These guys are in the wrong era, what's up with this draft philosophy? I'm relieved we at least took Perreault. Even when they drafted Hagelin and Fast, they were high talent, productive players that became good role players... you need guys that are actually good at hockey. Buch and Duke in the 3rd... Berard and Edstrom look like good picks. Those are the types of shots you take.. theyre not all going to work but these past 2 drafts there were some big head scratchers. Laba, Mancini, Karpa, Larsson, Roobroeck, Henricks... when I think of drafting an overager I'm thinking of players that are pulling ahead of their peers, guys that are playing professionally, guys where if you said if we drafted this guy the year before and this was their D+1 or D+2 would we perceive this as a good year... the sorts of players they're looking at here are a dime a dozen, guys that might project as bottom liners. These guys are easily replaced for cheap in free agency. Vesey is making 800k. I'm not interested in hearing its late in the draft, its a crapshoot... theres other teams taking swings all draft.. I'll take my chances on talent over this every time

Laba actually looks like a pretty good pick to this point.

Reactions: bhamill

MrAlmost

Beer league hero.
Jun 3, 2010
Some nice UDFA candidates here. Rangers have a lot of contract spots open and every one of their picks is going to NCAA, so they have time on them. I think I'd like to see them make some signings since I think there is a period of time where undrafted players can be signed to ELCs. Correct me if I am wrong of course.

EpicDing

which is why I included the question mark earlier
Oct 2, 2011
Hartford

I mean Hagelin and Fast were nothing picks until they weren't.

Hagelin wasn't ranked by Central Scouting his year. Couldn't pull the same info on Fast, but doubt he was either.

EDIT: Found Fast, he was the #33 Euro.

Reactions: ecemleafs

B17 Apricots

May 18, 2016
Laba actually looks like a pretty good pick to this point.
Fair, he had an ok year but it's all relative I think. You compare it to certain players available at the time, and I don't mean in retrospect, and it's not a pick I wouldve chosen. And that's not me just going against the grain of the organization, there were many years where I was completely satisfied with just about every pick.. this just appears to be a larger theme here of them honing in on a particular style of player that probably doesn't present the best value. If any of them pan out, phenomenal, im rooting for them since their Ranger property but im not holding my breath

Reactions: Jacques Strap

Charlie Conway

Oxford Comma
Nov 2, 2013
Either high IQ or high stature. It’s a Rangers draft alright.

I’m not going to pretend like I know much of anything about these kids.

Reading up on them, I like the Perreault pick. I’m also okay with the Fortescu pick…gotta keep the D pipeline going.

It’s the overagers I don’t totally get. If I have those long shot picks, I’d rather really go for broke on speed and skill.

Reactions: nsvoyageurs

EpicDing

which is why I included the question mark earlier
Oct 2, 2011
Hartford
Pronman on Larsson

Analysis: Larsson’s natural athleticism is his big selling point. He’s a very strong skater for a guy who is 6-foot-3. The way he’s able to skate pucks up ice and close on checks with his feet looks like an NHL defenseman. The rest of his game outside of that is up for debate. He scored a lot this year and showed skill/IQ, but whether that’s what he projects to be as a pro is questionable. He’s also a so-so defender who doesn’t compete that hard in his own end. Thus he’s rough around the edges, but has the potential to be a good defenseman.

EdJovanovski

#RempeForCalder
Apr 26, 2016
The Rempire State
2 players ranked in the first round of EdJovanovski's draft list go undrafted

Ignat Lutfullin & Magomed Sharakanov

Lutfullin probably the flashiest player in the draft, Sharakanov finished 2nd in points among all U19 dmen in the MHL, above several who got drafted (Simashev, Gulyayev, Pelevin, Duda)

• Haha
Reactions: duhmetreE

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
Kinda meh on day 2 but picking that late is gonna do that to some extent
Will have to wait years down the road to see how it pans out
Perrault was the big pick and that one was good imo

surlysailor

May 12, 2012
BK
Either high IQ or high stature. It’s a Rangers draft alright.

I’m not going to pretend like I know much of anything about these kids.

Reading up on them, I like the Perreault pick. I’m also okay with the Fortescu pick…gotta keep the D pipeline going.

It’s the overagers I don’t totally get. If I have those long shot picks, I’d rather really go for broke on speed and skill.
I agree for the most part. I don't even mind overages if they made a huge jump or had an injury riddled draft year. I just don't like drafting guys because of height. Nothing against Roob but I'd rather go smaller with skill that late in the draft instead of a guy who can't even get to a ppg in his overage year. Hell if you wanted bigger Levis was right there and he's 6'2 and a ppg in his draft year.

B17 Apricots

May 18, 2016

Again, its all relative.. I know which overager I'd rather gamble on... I'm surprised to see Hudson Thornton go undrafted again.. he probably won't ever be strong defensively but transition and offense are his game. +20 goals, +70 points. It was interesting to see all these Prince George guys fall.. Heidt, Ziemmer, Thornton.. maybe scouts felt they were too reliant on the PP?

mike14

Rampage Sherpa
Jun 22, 2006
Melbourne
Apologies if already explained
What happens to those not drafted?
Would love to sign soto and lutfullin
Maybe a couple dmen too
Up until you're 20 years old (exact age/dates are specified in the CBA) you can be drafted, so any player not drafted this year and under that age can be drafted next year.
Once you are over that draft age you become a UFA

Reactions: RagFinMet

ArPanet

May 3, 2012
Looks like Othmann teammate JR Avon went undrafted in 2021 then signed with the Flyers a couple of months later.

surlysailor

May 12, 2012
BK
Up until you're 20 years old (exact age/dates are specified in the CBA) you can be drafted, so any player not drafted this year and under that age can be drafted next year.
Once you are over that draft age you become a UFA
Wasn't there some rule that a player not drafted (juniors only) can sign before the start of their next season in juniors? Isn't that what happened with Philippe Myers? It might have been in the old cab prior to the covid cba redo.

mike14

Rampage Sherpa
Jun 22, 2006
Melbourne
Wasn't there some rule that a player not drafted (juniors only) can sign before the start of their next season in juniors? Isn't that what happened with Philippe Myers? It might have been in the old cab prior to the covid cba redo.
Looks like you're correct
1688078783798.png

I think Myers would have fallen into that category, and signed after being cut from Calgary's propsect camp and then attending the Flyers one. Philly offered him a contract straight away so he didn't need to go back to Jnr or enter the next draft

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad