GDT: 2023 NHL Draft

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
I'd just like to put it on record that I think Zach Benson will be the steal of this class -- especially if he falls outside the top 10.

Some of these mocks that have him going in the teens floor me.
Yeah if Arizona comes out of this draft with something like Reinbacher/Leonard and Benson that would be a homerun draft

GoJackets1

Someday.
Sponsor
Aug 21, 2008
Montana
I'd just like to put it on record that I think Zach Benson will be the steal of this class -- especially if he falls outside the top 10.

Some of these mocks that have him going in the teens floor me.
Yep. I saw Pronman had Benson at 17 this morning and I was floored. Getting a player with that junior pedigree at 17 would be insanity. Would definitely be a Barzal type steal there.

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
So serious question for whomever to answer, why wasn't Smith in college this season?

Wasn't Johnson already at Michigan when we drafted him? Why is Smith seemingly behind everyone?
Smith just turned 18 in March. You could say he's ahead of everyone in the next draft class because he is pretty young.

Reactions: CBJx614

tunnelvision

Jul 31, 2021
Fantilli's play selection isn't the best. He'll look off a teammate to go hero puck or make a low percentage shot. Passing to space is nice but you need a better sense of if a teammate is going to be there, he'll have to improve on that.

I'm high on the player but suspect he'll be a frustrating linemate at times.
He was also a kid in college who was clearly above his peers sometimes expirementing, we will see the same thing in the NHL and its just a matter of what direction his game goes. I think he'll adjust to play a more pro game which will benefit the team and himself. I dont think it will take him long to figure out that learning to play with one of the better playmakers in the game will make him a lot of money someday.
That "imperfection" in his game was very evident in tournament play where he supposedly hadn't been given much time to develop chemistry between linemates, but what about USHL and college? Didn't he play all season with Brindley and some other guy I can't remember on his wings, and if yes, was he still struggling at decision-making in later stages of the season?

kelsier

Aug 17, 2013
Oh wow it's all gonna be over and done with once I wake up in the morning! I can see that imaginations here are going wild in the eve of the draft day! But have no fear, they are either picking Leo or Adam. Smith doesn't fit in the same tier nor the team that they currently have and are trying to build. Jarmo & co know what they are doing and have nice record of making the right picks in the recent drafts. I'll at least sleep comfortable tonight.

/ENTER Carlsson/Fantili (preferably Carlsson!) !!

Reactions: Farmboy Patty

squashmaple

gudbranson apologist
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2022
Columbus
So serious question for whomever to answer, why wasn't Smith in college this season?

Wasn't Johnson already at Michigan when we drafted him? Why is Smith seemingly behind everyone?
Birthdates. Smith was born in March 2005. He was a senior in high school this year and is fairly young for the class (I think I read Bedard is one of the youngest players in this draft with his July birthday). Johnson was an October 2002 birthday, so he was one of the oldest in his draft class. The cut off is "will they be 18 by September 15th the year they are drafted?"

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
That "imperfection" in his game was very evident in tournament play where he supposedly hasn't been given much time to develop chemistry between linemates, but what about USHL and college? Didn't he play all season with Brindley and some other guy I can't remember on his wings, and if yes, was he still struggling at decision-making at later stages of the season?
I didnt watch a ton of full games to notice a change in decision making either way but I do know before the WJC he produced at a 1.625 ppg pace and after he produced at 1.95 pace.

Reactions: tunnelvision

ThisIsMyAlibi

Fantilli&Werenski&Gaudreau&Laine&Johnson&Jiricek
Mar 16, 2010
Ohio
I have no idea what’s gonna happen at #3. This is Jarmo, after all. He could go any direction.

As long as it isn’t some guy that is consensus ranked like #20, I should be okay with it.

I can talk myself into Carlsson or Smith very easily. Not as easily with the Russian winger. But I would get there lol.

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
Smith just turned 18 in March. You could say he's ahead of everyone in the next draft class because he is pretty young.

Birthdates. Smith was born in March 2005. He was a senior in high school this year and is fairly young for the class (I think I read Bedard is one of the youngest players in this draft with his July birthday). Johnson was an October 2002 birthday, so he was one of the oldest in his draft class. The cut off is "will they be 18 by September 15th the year they are drafted?"
Thanks, that's what I thought but couldn't find any articles about it. I guess I could've just looked at the DOB, but that would've been too easy.

• Haha
Reactions: squashmaple

ThisIsMyAlibi

Fantilli&Werenski&Gaudreau&Laine&Johnson&Jiricek
Mar 16, 2010
Ohio
I have a hard time getting behind any player who needs massive improvements to his skating. I’d prefer to avoid that. A top 5 prospect should have good skating off the rip.

That’s my big hangup for any prospect at this point.

Reactions: GoJackets1

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
The birthdate thing is another reason I like Wahlberg is round 2. He doesnt turn 18 for another week or so

Farmboy Patty

Senior Hockey Analyst
Nov 2, 2017
Truly elite, two way centres aren't that easy to get via trade, though... I think the whole point is that you need to draft them (Jarmo obviously believes this). Would any of the cup winners from the 2010s have traded their prime Anze Koptars, Toews, etc? Nope.

I don't know if Carlsson can be that guy or not... I just think there's a better chance of that happening than Will Smith being that guy. Why draft Smith just to try to trade another high end piece to get a 2 way center

From what I’ve seen Carlsson seems like a perfect fit for the core team that will surround him for the next few years that will be the window. It’s a team sport and a jigsaw puzzle, and I truly believe that he’d be the center piece that could propel the vast amount of skill that we have on the wings. I get Kopitar vibes from this lad.

ThirdPeriodTurtle

Jul 13, 2022
Finland
This right here is what will be my initial consolation if we pick Smith. He is 3 months younger than Carlsson and 5 months younger than Fantilli. At least that's some extra hopium that he can develop in a more drastic way still.

Reactions: squashmaple

squashmaple

gudbranson apologist
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2022
Columbus
This right here is what will be my initial consolation if we pick Smith. He is 3 months younger than Carlsson and 5 months younger than Fantilli. At least that's some extra hopium that he can develop in a more drastic way still.
You know what? Same. Also the fact KJ was one of the oldest in his draft and was still so physically immature is remarkable.

Vaguely related draft eligibility fun fact: Auston Matthews was the oldest member of his draft. If he was two days older, he would've been in the 2015 draft. He certainly does not go first overall. Imagine the debates of Matthews vs. Eichel everyone woul've ad if he was two days older!

tunnelvision

Jul 31, 2021
I thought I wouldn't even try to put together my own draft list of this year's class since I lack viewings on so many players... but now as I'm nervously waiting for the event to start and trying to kill time I actually came up with a top-20 that I could share here (even though I'm not very confident of the 4-20 range lol). It's always been interesting to look back on these things in the future and see how they have aged.

1 Bedard
2 Carlsson
3 Fantilli
4 Honzek
5 Benson
6 Willander
7 But
8 Michkov
9 Reinbacher
10 Smith
11 Leonard
12 Simashev