GDT: 2023 NHL Draft

LJ7

Mar 19, 2021
Ohio
Fantilli is what I both hope for and expect, I prefer him over Carlsson and have Smith behind both. Smith wouldn't devastate me but I just like Carlsson better, although I think Carlsson goes #2.

Fantilli's playstyle would both compliment and blend in well with our current top 6, his skill and game sense would work well with everyone, and he would bring a desperately needed physical presence to our top 6.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
his skill and game sense would work well with everyone

That's the part I'm least confident in with Fantilli. I suspect they'll eventually find something that clicks but it might take a long time.

Crede777

Deputized
Dec 16, 2009
How does Fantilli compare to Matty Beniers? Both U Michigan players. Both have strong motors and 200 foot games.

LJ7

Mar 19, 2021
Ohio
That's the part I'm least confident in with Fantilli. I suspect they'll eventually find something that clicks but it might take a long time.
In what ways? You've watched more of him so I'm curious. The main sources of encouragement for me are his off puck movement and grasp of passing to space.

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
I feel like he and Gaudreau would be a great match. Gaudreau with a guy who drives the net either prsents an option himself or drags the D to him leaving the trailer constantly open is right up Gaudreau's alley. He also has the speed to keep up to Gaudreau, an area Boone can sometimes struggle in. Johnson and Laine play slower so that might work better for Boone also

Reactions: LJ7

KJ Dangler

Oct 21, 2006
Columbus
Paging KJ Dangler....

Really not hard to understand at all , when you look at what Hughes has become , coming into NHL, Cooley was dominant this past year , NTDP develops great players , and Will Smith is perhaps one of the best that’s come thru there ..

“The 6’0″ centre is coming off an excellent season with the USNTDP. Smith finished the season with one of the best scoring paces in program history, scoring 51 goals and 76 assists in 60 games.

With 2.12 points per game, Smith ranks second all-time, ahead of such players as Auston Matthews (1.95 PPG ) and Phil Kessell (1.78 PPG). The lone player that had a more productive season was Jack Hughes, who earned 2.24 points per game in 2018-19.

In addition to his excellent year with the USNDP, Smith also excelled at the U-18 World Championships, where he put together one of the most dominant performances in tournament history. He scored nine goals and 11 assists in just seven games and was the driving force behind the USA’s gold medal. The only player to outscore Smith at the U18 tournament was Nikita Kucherov, who scored 21 points in 7 games back in 2010-11.

Thanks to his ridiculous performance, Smith was showered with accolades. He was the tournament’s Most Valuable Player, The Best Forward, the most productive player (20 points), and was given a well-deserved spot on the All-Star Team “

Reactions: Fro and CBJ goalie

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
In what ways? You've watched more of him so I'm curious. The main sources of encouragement for me are his off puck movement and grasp of passing to space.

Fantilli's play selection isn't the best. He'll look off a teammate to go hero puck or make a low percentage shot. Passing to space is nice but you need a better sense of if a teammate is going to be there, he'll have to improve on that.

I'm high on the player but suspect he'll be a frustrating linemate at times.

I feel like he and Gaudreau would be a great match. Gaudreau with a guy who drives the net either prsents an option himself or drags the D to him leaving the trailer constantly open is right up Gaudreau's alley. He also has the speed to keep up to Gaudreau, an area Boone can sometimes struggle in. Johnson and Laine play slower so that might work better for Boone also

Maybe, but Gaudreau also wants the puck quite often, so a guy who also wants to skate with it sometimes isn't the best fit.

Perhaps Fantilli would eventually click with Gaudreau, or maybe it will end to being a line with like Texier and Chinakhov. That would be nuts.

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
Fantilli's play selection isn't the best. He'll look off a teammate to go hero puck or make a low percentage shot. Passing to space is nice but you need a better sense of if a teammate is going to be there, he'll have to improve on that.

I'm high on the player but suspect he'll be a frustrating linemate at times.

Maybe, but Gaudreau also wants the puck quite often, so a guy who also wants to skate with it sometimes isn't the best fit.

Perhaps Fantilli would eventually click with Gaudreau, or maybe it will end to being a line with like Texier and Chinakhov. That would be nuts.
He was also a kid in college who was clearly above his peers sometimes expirementing, we will see the same thing in the NHL and its just a matter of what direction his game goes. I think he'll adjust to play a more pro game which will benefit the team and himself. I dont think it will take him long to figure out that learning to play with one of the better playmakers in the game will make him a lot of money someday.

Bedard has some of these same tendencies but I dont worry about him playing a more team game either

squashmaple

gudbranson apologist
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2022
Columbus
The Athletic article up today has Smith as its cover photo in his team USA jersey, presumably from WJC. Got me thinking because it feels like we never draft Americans. Looked back and the last American (as in considered nationality, not just birthplace like Sillinger) we took before the sixth round was Peeke in the 2016 second round. I don't think this has much to do with anything regards to their interest in Smith, just a little detail that struck me as interesting.

koteka

Jan 1, 2017
Central Ohio
Let’s assume that Smith and Michkov are truly elite wings likely to put up multiple 100 point seasons and Fantilli and Carlsson end up middle of the pack 1Cs (maybe considered 12th - 15th best centers in the game in a few years). I still think we need a Fantilli or Carlsson on this team. If we had drafted McTavish in 2021 I think whole the whole discussion is different. But our top forwards are Gudreau, Laine, KJ, and Jenner. We hope the Russians will progress and Tex will have his best season and Sillinger focuses on improving, etc. But our biggest hole if we want to be a cup contender is a big true center who can play a two way game. To me, the obvious choice for the Jackets is Carlsson or Fantilli and then don’t rush him.

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
Montreal supposedly has Will Smith at #2 on their board , Hughes has worked with Smith first hand , and knows what the player is perhaps better than anyone … I think the above is correct , Jarmo and our scouts Have Fantilli at 2, you could tell from their reaction that 3 was a shot in the gut .. followed by Will Smith , and then Carlsson . The #cbj staff have really good instincts in spotting talent , people need to relax .. many times the teams big boards are much different than the lists the talking heads spew for months on end . I wouldnt be shocked if we trade up to 2 , to guarantee we can draft Fantilli, if there’s a time to overpay , today is that day .. Fantilli brings the skill , speed , size and nastiness the jackets covet .
I wouldn't hold your breath. Jarmo already said he hasn't talked to Anaheim yet and he got the feeling, similar to himself that Anaheim was completely content where they are and have no plans on moving barring a massive overpay.

Reactions: CBJWerenski8

Ice9

Jun 25, 2016
In the woods
I think we'll do something not extraordinary but pretty bold. No ideal what that is. Draft the Russian, make a fairly big trade to get a guy or move back up. Somehow I think Jarmo would like to be the talk of the draft. That could be good or bad...

I'll be shocked if we just ride out our picks which is better than doing something insane. Dont mind bold but insane?

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
Totally excited to draft smith and wait 2-3 years for him..
So serious question for whomever to answer, why wasn't Smith in college this season?

Wasn't Johnson already at Michigan when we drafted him? Why is Smith seemingly behind everyone?

Finner

Dec 8, 2018
High hopes for moves and trades and electricity so we pick Smith at 3rd and thats it. Just regular CBJ thing....

• Haha
Reactions: MAHJ71

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad