NHL Entry Draft 2023 NHL Draft Thread

Que

What?
Feb 12, 2017
Mind Prison
Drafted kids with tools, decent hockey IQ and have poor skating ability.

Sens M.O. past the 3rd round for 15 years running.

Going to say this draft will be more successful than the 2021 draft without even looking into a single prospects bio. (I did ZERO scouting this year. The rebuild is OVER!!!)

Oscar The Grouch

Oct 16, 2021
Ottawa Senators 2023 draft picks

RDPICKOVERALL PICKTEAMNAMEPOSCOUNTRYHWAMATEUR LEAGUEAMATEUR TEAM
412108Hoyt StanleyDCAN6' 2"187BCHLVICTORIA
512140Matthew AndonovskiDCAN6' 2"200OHLKITCHENER
712204Owen BecknerCCAN6' 2"175BCHLSALMON ARM
715207Vladimir NikitinGKAZ6' 4"192KAZAKHSTAN U20BARYS NUR-SULTAN U20
723215Nicholas VantassellRUSA6' 4"196USHLGREEN BAY

PD got 5 from his top 10 list.

A homerun.

JaredCowen4Norris

Jul 9, 2020
rollercoaster-sign.jpg

Each of our scouts travel with one of these at all times. Blew all the budget getting the signs made, but well worth it.

R We A Team

Sponsor
Jun 17, 2009
Ottawa
When did being 6'2" become taboo to draft? Every time we draft someone 6'2" a bunch on here chime in with "Oh the Sens are size obsessed" its like theses posters feel that size is a bad thing.

6"4" is also seen as must lack talent 'cause..size... when in reality there are more kids 6'2" and up in sports than ever. The average height has risen over the last 50 years so to be complaining about someone being taller than 5'9" seems kinda dumb. There are more players playing at 6'2" and up than 6' and under... and the playoffs show why.

"why don't we ever draft someone 5'6"? Man the Sen's scouting staff stinks!! LoL. too funny.

Reactions: aragorn

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
yes there were . not involving Ottawa. I don't remember the specifics
Just read there were 3 trades for 4 NHL players (salary dumps) & the rest were for picks & draft position.

Lightning trade Cory Perry to Chicago for 7th rd pick (salary dump)
Edm trade Yamamoto & Kostin to Detroit for future considerations (salary dump)
Isles trade Josh Bailey to Chicago for future considerations ( salary dump)

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Just read there were 3 trades for 4 NHL players (salary dumps) & the rest were for picks & draft position.

Chicago got a 2026 2nd in that deal.
Perry for a 2024 7th
The player movement did not effect this draft ..

Some picks were moved in round 2-7 which is what I was responding to

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005

Ya Chicago will own Perrys rights until tomorrow

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
Ya Chicago will own Perrys rights until tomorrow
When we sign him?
Actually didn’t notice before that perry was a -29 on a very good tampa team. No one close to that.
Had a good playoff though.

Norris4Norris

Jul 13, 2022
The Isles is Matt Martin
I would have thought that the 80s dynasty would have had a couple of later round gems. I guess not!

Although the Sens do have a good record of late rounders relatively (Alfredsson,Stone). Let's hope for another one.

Bileur

Jun 15, 2004
Ottawa
When did being 6'2" become taboo to draft? Every time we draft someone 6'2" a bunch on here chime in with "Oh the Sens are size obsessed" its like theses posters feel that size is a bad thing.

6"4" is also seen as must lack talent 'cause..size... when in reality there are more kids 6'2" and up in sports than ever. The average height has risen over the last 50 years so to be complaining about someone being taller than 5'9" seems kinda dumb. There are more players playing at 6'2" and up than 6' and under... and the playoffs show why.

"why don't we ever draft someone 5'6"? Man the Sen's scouting staff stinks!! LoL. too funny.

The playoffs showed once again that large mobile, skilled defensemen are key. They were also capped off by a 5’9 forward winning the Conn Smythe. Size is great, and all other things being equal, take the larger guy, but I hope the sens aren’t writing off or ignoring smaller guys completely, because as the playoffs showed, they can be key contributors. The league is also trending towards higher skill and more space for little guys, so it’s not time to write them off.

I didn’t see anyone « complaining about someone being taller than 5’9 », just that it’s starting to seem like a pattern with this staff to ignore shorter players who might nevertheless have significant upside. In fact some people are just joking about it. Seems you’re overthinking things.

Finally, I don’t think you understand how quotation marks work. You’d have to be able to show someone saying what you’re quoting for the use of the marks to make sense.

Norris4Norris

Jul 13, 2022
Batherson a recent steal.
I feel like if I was a GM I would start drafting guys who were injured their draft year but showed promise the year before and/or likely will grow more in the next few years.

There are also the small players like Debrincat who tear up the juniors and are taken in later rounds.

Reactions: Oscar The Grouch

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad