NHL Entry Draft 2023 NHL Draft Thread

NHL Dude 120

Jun 18, 2011
Ottawa
Well that money is essentially going to go straight to debrincat. So debrincat lol. Our top six likely won’t be as good as it is right now for a long time after giroux leaves

Nah DeBrincat's contract is an extra 2.6 mil at most leaving us with 3.9 if we're going by Giroux's contract/caphit.

GermanSpitfire

EU Video Scout for McKeen’s
Jul 20, 2020
www.mckeenshockey.com
Ian Scherzer is one of only 5 ‘05 players playing at the summer WJC. He is also playing on Austria’s first line where he picked up 2 points in his first game. Good motor and has very good IQ. Guy I’m interested in as a riser this year.

bicboi64

Aug 13, 2020
Brampton
Assuming we re-sign Cat who's the successor to Giroux??
I think we'll extend Giroux to another one year deal at the end of his current one and keep him around as a PP mainstay. I'm hoping his role in the top 6 is internally filled by Grieg, Jarventie, Boucher, Sokolov, even if its just a style of play where they let Stu and Cat do the scoring while they aren't a liability and don't kill plays

GermanSpitfire

Jul 20, 2020
www.mckeenshockey.com

For anyone interested - Brock Otten released his top-30 in the OHL for 2023.

He has the best OHL content out there. It’s always a pleading to read.

NHL Dude 120

Jun 18, 2011
Ottawa
How scary of a top six would this be

Tkachuk-Norris-Batherson
DeBrincat -Stutzle-Michkov

Obviously I don't think we'll be as bad to get Michkov but that would be one filthy top six.

Also i think realistically speaking if we don't get a top 4 D-men we could draft one of the higher end forwards.

DJB

Jan 6, 2009
twitter.com
How scary of a top six would this be

Tkachuk-Norris-Batherson
DeBrincat -Stutzle-Michkov

Obviously I don't think we'll be as bad to get Michkov but that would be one filthy top six.

Also i think realistically speaking if we don't get a top 4 D-men we could draft one of the higher end forwards.

We would have to be picking #2 to get Michkov but yes would be amazing

GermanSpitfire

Jul 20, 2020
www.mckeenshockey.com
Reactions: aragorn

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
Greig I can see fitting beside Stu as he can play center as well as wing...Also Pinto moving up to share center duties with Stu could be another option

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
Greig I can see fitting beside Stu as he can play center as well as wing...Also Pinto moving up to share center duties with Stu could be another option

He's been my predication for Giroux replacement on Stutzle's wing for a while now... even before we got Giroux and DeBrincat. They'll be a terrific pair. I also agree with people's prediction of Grieg-Pinto being scary and effective, especially in playoffs.

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
I was going back through the rosters of Cup champs since 2015/16 and found it interesting that so few D who played in their regular top 6 were drafted by that team.

Colorado 2022 - Makar, Byram
TB 2021 - Hedman, Foote (13 games)
TB 2020 - Hedman
Washington 2019 - Carlson, Orlov
St Louis 2018 - Pietrangelo, Parayko, Edmunson
Pittsburgh 2017 - Letang, Mattaa
Pittsburgh 2016 - Letang, Mattaa

Lots of very high picks. I’m thinking that expecting to build a Cup winning D through the draft is unrealistic.

Bileur

Jun 15, 2004
Ottawa
I was going back through the rosters of Cup champs since 2015/16 and found it interesting that so few D who played in their regular top 6 were drafted by that team.

Colorado 2022 - Makar, Byram
TB 2021 - Hedman, Foote (13 games)
TB 2020 - Hedman
Washington 2019 - Carlson, Orlov
St Louis 2018 - Pietrangelo, Parayko, Edmunson
Pittsburgh 2017 - Letang, Mattaa
Pittsburgh 2016 - Letang, Mattaa

Lots of very high picks. I’m thinking that expecting to build a Cup winning D through the draft is unrealistic.

Interesting observation, I would have assumed it was higher.

Even going back further:
Chicago 2015 - Keith, Seabrook, Hjalmarsson
LA 2014 - Doughty, Martinez
Chicago 2013 - Keith, Seabrook, Hjalmarsson
LA 2012 - Doughty, Martinez, Voynov
Boston 2011 - N/A
Chicago 2010 - Keith, Seabrook, Hjalmarsson, Byfuglien (if you count him as D)
Pittsburgh 2009 - Letang, Goligoski, Orpik, Scuderi

Obviously getting a nucleus is ideal, but I imagine it’s tough to get their primes to line up with your competing window. Particularly with how D develop slower.

SlapJack

Scum bag Sens
Dec 6, 2010
That's typical for everybody, not a lot of teams in general have more than half their roster filled with guys they drafted. But the picks and players that come from them are still assets. Tampa upgraded by trading picks and players they drafted for Sergachev and McDonagh. Ottawa has one D on their roster right now that played last year in Chabot, Sanderson will bring that up to 2.

Ottawa will likely send Brannstrom and either JBD or Thomsen in the future for players with experience. One thing I hope they can avoid is trading this year's 1st. They're still not ready to compete yet and have to restock the cupboard.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
My leading contenders for the 2023 NHL draft, given I think we end up in the teens in this order are ...... subject to change without notice .....

1. Mathew Wood RW
2. Charlie Stramel C/RW
3. Kasper Halttunen RW

GermanSpitfire

Jul 20, 2020
www.mckeenshockey.com
My leading contenders for the 2023 NHL draft, given I think we end up in the teens in this order are ...... subject to change without notice .....

1. Mathew Wood RW
2. Charlie Stramel C/RW
3. Kasper Halttunen RW
I really want Carson Rehkopf is we end up where we are expected too. Big forward that is a good skater, gives it his all every time he touches the ice, not afraid to muck it up, actually preferred it it seems haha and has a great shot.

JackBauer

May 16, 2006
Ottawa, Ont.
We can't trade this pick unless it's lotto protected. Give up the 2024 pick. The chance to even get a player like Daborsky or Carlsson or Benson if we're Top 10 again or Wood/Stenberg if we finish just outside the playoffs. Those could be star players that we're giving up. And don't even start me on the slim chance that we win the lottery. Especially given how bare our pipeline looks after the graduations of Sanderson and Pinto. If we had Sillinger instead of Boucher, maybe but we need some backup star power if we're going to truly compete for a Cup, not just continual first round exits. Magic beans in the '23 are too valuable.

Reactions: Nac Mac Feegle

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Carson Rehkopf
He plays for the Kitchener Rangers so the Sens should get a good look at him everytime they go to see Hamara LD their own pick who also plays for the Rangers. I actually have some contacts down there with the Rangers & next time I'm down there I'll acquire about him.

Reactions: GermanSpitfire

NHL Dude 120

Jun 18, 2011
Ottawa
We can't trade this pick unless it's lotto protected. Give up the 2024 pick. The chance to even get a player like Daborsky or Carlsson or Benson if we're Top 10 again or Wood/Stenberg if we finish just outside the playoffs. Those could be star players that we're giving up. And don't even start me on the slim chance that we win the lottery. Especially given how bare our pipeline looks after the graduations of Sanderson and Pinto. If we had Sillinger instead of Boucher, maybe but we need some backup star power if we're going to truly compete for a Cup, not just continual first round exits. Magic beans in the '23 are too valuable.
I'm not gonna be in favor of trading this pick unless we are drafting outside of the top 10. I'll say this much whoever we draft should slot in Giroux's spot.

NHL Dude 120

Jun 18, 2011
Ottawa
Surprising lack of good D-men in this year's draft. Welp. Either way we are in a good spot if we don't trade this pick. I'd probably look at prospects between 10-15.

Johnny Hanson

Jul 6, 2008
Surprising lack of good D-men in this year's draft. Welp. Either way we are in a good spot if we don't trade this pick. I'd probably look at prospects between 10-15.
Agreed. Lukas dragicevic is a good right shot d, depending on how his year goes could be available later in the first

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
A few D will be rising throughout the season, like guys do every year, similar to Dobson and Bouchard being late 1st/2nd at the start of the season, Korchinski last season, etc. Gulyayev looks unbelievable, though he's on the smaller side, Cam Allen is going to be a top 5ish guy.

Reactions: SensontheRush

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad