NHL Entry Draft 2023 NHL Draft Thread

NHL Dude 120

Jun 18, 2011
Ottawa
I'm guessing a top six forward or top 4 D-men are the only options. Overall I like our balance soo far. Plus with Giroux we have the room to let the young guy develop.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
Definitely a bad year for us to likely have a slim to zero chance at a top 2 pick
Must be in the bottom 12 in the standings to get a chance of getting a top 2 pick, as the maximum allowed jump is 10 spots if you are picked in the lottery.

NHL Dude 120

Jun 18, 2011
Ottawa
Oliver could be a depth pick. I'm excited to see how the forwards stack up. Plus with Giroux only having 2 years at the time to mentor Stu and DeBrincat they will be able to take care of the forward we pick.

I will say out of all the forwards Michkov is best for us.

Tkachuk-Norris-Batherson
DeBrincat-Stutzle-michkov

Would be a frickin scary team down the line if we can keep everyone. Now that's never gonna happen but I'd prefer the fit of Michkov over Bedard.

Ok back to reality. We aren't going to be thaaat bad tbh. But I think any of the forwards in the top 15 are a great option.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
2023 NHL Draft:

Quentin Musty LW / Mathew Wood C / Charlie Stramel RW

Lucas Dragicevic RD

I expect that Ott could be drafting around the 15th spot, give or take & therefore I'm looking at guys who could be ranked around those spots, but it's obviously way too early to determine anything. All three look like power forwards who play a 200' game & are good in all three zones. Dragicevic is a good sized RD who can skate, is responsible defenisvely & can add some offence & QB the PP.

Reactions: Cosmix

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
2023 NHL Draft:

Quentin Musty LW / Mathew Wood C / Charlie Stramel RW

Lucas Dragicevic RD

I expect that Ott could be drafting around the 15th spot, give or take & therefore I'm looking at guys who could be ranked around those spots, but it's obviously way too early to determine anything. All three look like power forwards who play a 200' game & are good in all three zones. Dragicevic is a good sized RD who can skate, is responsible defenisvely & can add some offence & QB the PP.
We need to add a couple of skilled D to our prospect pool.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
What skilled D do we have in the prospect pool ?
Sanderson & if they trade for one, they have another one. Which skilled D is available at next yr's draft that will be within their reach?

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
Sanderson & if they trade for one, they have another one. Which skilled D is available at next yr's draft that will be within their reach?
It was a philosophical point more than targeting a specific player. We have several big defensive D prospects but no skilled guys who specialize in moving the puck. The guys you listed are on the team, I’m focusing on the next wave.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
It was a philosophical point more than targeting a specific player. We have several big defensive D prospects but no skilled guys who specialize in moving the puck. The guys you listed are on the team, I’m focusing on the next wave.
There is one RD (Cameron Allen) who could end up being a top 10 pick, but I didn't list him because I think if we keep the pick it will be outside the top 10. Quite frankly this draft at this early stage seems to be quite forward heavy & there aren't a lot of good D available in the first rd. Of course that could easily change as the season gets underway & they start playing games again.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Cameron Allen, Theo Lindstein, Mazden Leslie, Lukas Dragicevic, Caden Price, Jordan Tourigny, Daniil Karapovich, Andrew Stauthmann
Who do you like of these guys that you think will be within their range, although I know it's still very early?

GermanSpitfire

EU Video Scout for McKeen’s
Jul 20, 2020
www.mckeenshockey.com
Who do you like of these guys that you think will be within their range, although I know it's still very early?
I agree that this draft at this point in time is looking "weaker" per say in regards to defenders but as the year plays out we'll see a few climb into the top 10 and 20. Cameron Allen and Theo Lindstein are the two probably best defenders at this moment in time.

Cameron Allen reminds me of fellow Guelph Storm Drew Doughty in a sense - where he is good at most every facet in the game. He is mature beyond his years and exemplifies that when he is on the ice every night. We may see him go as high as top-5.

Theo Lindstein is a smooth skating defender out of Sweden. He was able to get a handful of SHL reps as a double underager which is always notable. He has always played up years so it's been difficult to gauge his offensive potential but after the Hlinka he has had I think it's safe to say it's on par if not better than the rest of his age group.

Caden Price is a favorite of mine personally. He is a two-way guy that skates really well and more often than not is the smartest player on the ice when he goes over the boards. Offensive production has been a concern but that should be alleviated when he's given the keys to Kelowna's offense this season, which has great prestige at producing great defenders,

Mazden Leslie plays with Ostapchuk in Vancouver, He can play a physical game at times and is a great skater. Good at making that all-so-important first pass and should play a big role on Vancouver's defense this upcoming season as one of their go to guys.

Lukas Dragicevic is a funny one, one game you watch him he is the best thing since sliced bread and the next you question if it was the same player. Flashes skill but has struggled with inconsistency in a sense. Great offensive hockey iq and needs work in his own end.

Jordan Tourigny is a two-way defender that has great mobility and is excellent in the offensive side of the ice. He sees the ice well and is really proficient at finding open teammates with lanes you didn't see yourself. Surprising good in his own end too. Best defender out of the Q this year in my opinion.

Daniil Karapovich admittedly I haven't seen much out of him. But he is big at 6'4" and can play with a mean streak while also impressing with his finesse ability. He's a wild card for me.

Andrew Strathmann is my favorite defender out of the US at this point in time great two-way game, fantastic skater and his ability to see the ice is top-notch.

You also have a guy like Mikhail Gulyayev who has been regarded as a top prospect on the draft however I have never seen him play so all I have on him is his Elite Prospects profile so I can't give any input here.

Guys that you'll probably like are Dylan MacKinnon, Saige Weinstein and Dimitri Simishev who are known for their physical play and they don't shy away from hits.

But it's still really early, things will change between now and the draft. This is just my insight on these particular player.

Reactions: aragorn and JMac13

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
To those draftniks on this board, I’d like your opinion on where 2022 7OA would fall in the 2023 draft. Not looking at the player who was picked but specifically from a value perspective.

For example is 2022 7OA = 2023 10OA

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
Assuming we re-sign Cat who's the successor to Giroux??
Well that money is essentially going to go straight to debrincat. So debrincat lol. Our top six likely won’t be as good as it is right now for a long time after giroux leaves

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad