2023 NHL draft prospects

The Swede

Sep 25, 2019
Aside from Djurgården, I have a hard time seeing any team battling for gold from the northern series. The hard thing is knowing when and which players jump up and down between j20 and j18, and a lot depends on how their teams do respectively on both levels and scheduling. But assuming the teams get relatively stacked with the draft eligibiles, its hard for me to not see Frölunda, Örebro or Färjestad winning this year. Frölunda obviously has the most high profile players for this draft with Stenberg, Dower Nilsson and Edström especially, but Örebro and Färjestad has a lot of more future fringe draft picks that I imagine one or two teams might get a hit out of. Otherwise very open field for me. Taking a chance on Örebro this year, as much as it pains me.

For those interested in swedish prospects this year and next, I would recommend those teams; Örebro, Färjestad, Frölunda, maybe Rögle, Växjö, Brynäs, Skellefteå and Djurgården depending on which players play, but will be fun hockey regardless if you have the time and interest! Aside from looking up specific players when I want, I generally just watch the big games(or Brynäs and cries) because the ones filled with big prospects are usually very entertaining, and gives a much better look at the prospects than just looking at a stat sheet after a offensive player on a big team has oblitterated bad defences for a year.

Unrelated to this, but special shoutout to watch Almtuna for those who want to take a bet and stay ahead of the game, Filip Ekberg(2025) is really special and been on my radar for a bit over a year. I have been in hopeful love for a long time, since he is showing some of the highest upside I have seen in such a young swede. And it's not just about his allsvenskan debut that seems to have got everyone suddenly on notice, but just the combination of attributes and incredible sense that oozes talent to me. We generally don't have those in the same way in Sweden because of the different junior system, so carefully optimistic about him!
Örebro has a really interesting team. And both the 2005 and the 2006 group are strong. But i think they need to survive the quarter final. If they do, i think the J20 team will be out. And if so they are absolutely a big favorite. They have a lot fever players than the other organisations. So they need to play quite many of them in J20. Just to put a team on the ice. About Ekberg I can only agree. He can skate with the puck in a very hard to way to read and sees the game. Above all, he also uses his teammates. Which I otherwise think many of the most hyped players have a hard time with. He also has a body that looks like an adult. No long limbs messing with him.

The Swede

Sep 25, 2019
Rögle has six players who play for U18 national teams, and will be very good if all of them play (which I doubt they will…).
Off course they have a chance. But they also have a chance on the J20 championship. I guess they will go for it there in first. And if so we will not see Felix Nilsson, Simon Zeather, Tom Willander in the line up in J18 that much.

Reactions: Kabetogama

The Swede

Sep 25, 2019
maybe we're losing the plot a bit here...
Sorry thats me. But i will give you my rankings after the season of the 2005 born players playing in Sweden. I´m just trying to give you a bit of how much of them i watch and that there can be some nuggets of gold hidden in the Swedish J18 league. For an example so are Hugo Hell (Färjestad BK) listed as draft prospect. But In my point of view Färjestad has two other much better defenders born in 2005 (Victor Westh and Noel Fransén). But they never get to play J20 so they disappear from the radar. And I mentioned earlier some more players in the same situation.

Reactions: Alp and Kabetogama

CJ76

Mar 24, 2023
So this is how the play offs start in the Swedish J18 Championship.
16th finals
Modo - Östersund
Täby - Björklöven
Almtuna - Nacka
Timrå - Södertälje
Malmö - Rögle
Växjö - Mora
Leksand - Västerås
HV71 - Linköping

8th finals
Djurgården - Chosen by opponents
Skellefteå - Chosen by opponents
AIK - Chosen by opponents
Luleå - Chosen by opponents
Brynäs - Chosen by opponents
Frölunda - Chosen by opponents
Örebro - Chosen by opponents
Färjestad - Chosen by opponents

Djurgården is top ranked and will choose first. Färjestad is second ranked. It is striking how much tougher the southern series is compared to the northern. And it is first in the quarter-finals that the teams get to choose opponents from both series. I guess that Modo, Täby, Almtuna will win quite easy. Timrå - Södertälje a bit more open. So we will se four teams in the quarter finals that would hav ended last in the south division ... Växjö will beat Mora. And HV71 will beat Linköping. Malmö - Rögle and Leksand - Västerås more unpredictable. Exciting times!
Any update on the playoffs?
I can see the stats but how does the games look? Tight games apart from maybe
HV71-Brynäs 1-6
Växjö-orebro 1-5
Leksand-Färjestad 4-1

Brynäs and Örebro expected but Leksand surprisingly strong both against Västerås and Färjestad. Other coaching? Hidden players that level up in playoffs? Thankful for info from anyone watching the playoffgames

Reactions: The Swede

The Swede

Sep 25, 2019
Any update on the playoffs?
I can see the stats but how does the games look? Tight games apart from maybe
HV71-Brynäs 1-6
Växjö-orebro 1-5
Leksand-Färjestad 4-1

Brynäs and Örebro expected but Leksand surprisingly strong both against Västerås and Färjestad. Other coaching? Hidden players that level up in playoffs? Thankful for info from anyone watching the playoffgames
I watched two games. Leksand - Färjestad and Rögle - Frölunda. Leksand were the much better team. An even game up til 1-0. But after that Leksand controlled the game. Didn´t see almost anything from Färjestad. Leksand had everything on the line up. And Felix Unger Sörum was the best player on the ice. Also Zaki Crookes impressed me. Färjestad missing Wikman, Ståhlberg, Johansson, Rydell and Clara. But usually they find ways to win regardless the line up. But this time they didn´t. I have never seen so many misstakes and bad passing from Färjestad. Pretty consistent shooting stats ((34-33) but Leksand had at least ten more high quality goal scoring chances. Färjestad shots came often from long range. Of course they had some good chances. But not the same amount as Leksand. Interesting game tomorrow! Rögle - Frölunda. tight game. I think Rögle can bounce back. They just need to stop Dower Nilsson, Edstrom and Stenberg ... :) And also excited to see if HV71 and Växjö can bounce back. Love this time of the year!

Reactions: CJ76

CJ76

Mar 24, 2023
I watched two games. Leksand - Färjestad and Rögle - Frölunda. Leksand were the much better team. An even game up til 1-0. But after that Leksand controlled the game. Didn´t see almost anything from Färjestad. Leksand had everything on the line up. And Felix Unger Sörum was the best player on the ice. Also Zaki Crookes impressed me. Färjestad missing Wikman, Ståhlberg, Johansson, Rydell and Clara. But usually they find ways to win regardless the line up. But this time they didn´t. I have never seen so many misstakes and bad passing from Färjestad. Pretty consistent shooting stats ((34-33) but Leksand had at least ten more high quality goal scoring chances. Färjestad shots came often from long range. Of course they had some good chances. But not the same amount as Leksand. Interesting game tomorrow! Rögle - Frölunda. tight game. I think Rögle can bounce back. They just need to stop Dower Nilsson, Edstrom and Stenberg ... :) And also excited to see if HV71 and Växjö can bounce back. Love this time of the year!
Thanks for info on these games. Yes interesting games coming up indeed.
I heard from another source that often watch Leksand (and Brynäs, Mora) that Leksand has a number of hard working and intense players that often works in the ”shadows” and doesnt get much credit (or J20 ice time) but makes the Leksand team unpredictable and often hard to beat. Many injuries among defenders has been a problem.
Felix Unger Sörum is technical but lacks in the physical game I think, scoring from stand still often. Zaki Crooks is also good but a very high risk player. The game changer here is how the rest of the team plays. Interesting to see what happens in game 2.

Rögle and Frölunda will be a very interesting game with many high rank players. I hope you can watch that one let us know your thoughts.
I do think Stenberg, Dower Nilsson and Edstrom can be hard to stop though.

Also interesting to see what HV71 and Växjö can do.

The Swede

Sep 25, 2019
Thanks for info on these games. Yes interesting games coming up indeed.
I heard from another source that often watch Leksand (and Brynäs, Mora) that Leksand has a number of hard working and intense players that often works in the ”shadows” and doesnt get much credit (or J20 ice time) but makes the Leksand team unpredictable and often hard to beat. Many injuries among defenders has been a problem.
Felix Unger Sörum is technical but lacks in the physical game I think, scoring from stand still often. Zaki Crooks is also good but a very high risk player. The game changer here is how the rest of the team plays. Interesting to see what happens in game 2.

Rögle and Frölunda will be a very interesting game with many high rank players. I hope you can watch that one let us know your thoughts.
I do think Stenberg, Dower Nilsson and Edstrom can be hard to stop though.

Also interesting to see what HV71 and Växjö can do.
That´s correct. I wrote a time a go that one of my favorite players in Leksand is Liam Persson. And Liam played as always a good game. A smart player with a lot of hocekysense. Off course nice to see Hugo Hedvall playing again. And he did it well! Also one of my early favorites of the 2005 group. And that´s the same all over the U18 teams. In Färjestad i love Noel Fansén, Gustav Ling and Elias Ivansson. No good game last night but over the years they always are better than the plaryers Färjestad is pushing. In Örebro we have Melvin Pettersson. In Frölunda Victor Mannebratt. In Västerås we have William Ekman Cederborg. So you are correct. There is a lot of talent out there that the organisations don´t push because of what they promised or who they have for a kind of relation with. Nepotism or what so ever ...

Reactions: Alp and CJ76

CJ76

Mar 24, 2023
That´s correct. I wrote a time a go that one of my favorite players in Leksand is Liam Persson. And Liam played as always a good game. A smart player with a lot of hocekysense. Off course nice to see Hugo Hedvall playing again. And he did it well! Also one of my early favorites of the 2005 group. And that´s the same all over the U18 teams. In Färjestad i love Noel Fansén, Gustav Ling and Elias Ivansson. No good game last night but over the years they always are better than the plaryers Färjestad is pushing. In Örebro we have Melvin Pettersson. In Frölunda Victor Mannebratt. In Västerås we have William Ekman Cederborg. So you are correct. There is a lot of talent out there that the organisations don´t push because of what they promised or who they have for a kind of relation with. Nepotism or what so ever ...
Yes Liam I think has looked better in the playoffs when paired with Noah Wolf and Romeo Ekfeldt.
Liam Perssons hockeysense, Noah Wolfs speed and skating and Romeos passing seems to be a good combination.

Hugo Hedvall is back which is good as Leksands Dmen seems to have bad luck with injuries.

Färjestad away will be a tough and tight game I think.

The Swede

Sep 25, 2019
So interesting games and results from U18 play offs. On saturday i focused on Färjestad - Leksand and Frölunda - Rögle. In Karlstad Färjestad got Wille Johansson and Elliot Ståhlberg in the line up. They still missed Victor Westh (D), Albert Wikman (D), Damian Clara (G), Linus Rydell (F). Leksand came with all they got. Färjestad started the game with high, speed, good passing and put the pressure on goalie Gidlöf. But after about ten minutes the referee found two penalties for Färjestad. And Leksand scored twice on the power play and then they controlled the game. Färjestad didn´t play a bad game. But they had no Felix Unger Sörum or Zaki Crookes. And defenitly no Marcus Gidlöf (shots 36-36). Hugo Hedvall and David Back Nilsson strong defenders in Leksand. And Leksand were in total the better team. The defend side on Färjestad did miss Wikman and Westh in such a tough game. Ståhlberg were ok but Johansson doesn´t make any difference as Unger Sörum. He took two early penalties in the offensive zone ... And maybe they should have put Clara in the goal.

Leksand no takes on Djurgården

On saturday Rögle came back against Frölunda in Gothenburg. And Axel Nyman (goalie) saved Rögle in the second period. Frölunda could have scored ten goals that period. It was a team effort from Rögle. No one except Axel Nyman really stood out. Otto Stenberg, Noah Dower Nilsson and David Edstrom had so many chances but Nyman was the best player on the ice and didn´t let them score. On sunday in Ängelholm Frölunda came out much better then Rögle from the start and the game was over after the first period. Rögle never got close. Stenberg, Edstrom and Dower Nilsson created a lot of chances but had a hard time to score this game as well. Felix Granath and Karl Sterner (2006) played a strong game. I also like defender Emil Stadin (2006) in Frölunda.

Frölunda no takes on AIK

Luleå - Skellefteå
Hv71 - Örebro

The Swede

Sep 25, 2019
Here is my post-season ranking of the top 30 who play in Sweden

Leo Carlsson (04), Örebro HK
Number one of the prospects playing in Sweden. No doubt about that. Leo stands for good hockey sense, nice hands. Good vision. Question marks around physique, skating and grit.

Axel Sandin-Pelikka D, Skellefteå AIK
Moves likes he floats around. Nice hands. Strong belief in his game. Cool with the puck. Question marks about the physical play and competition. Not that strong ending to the season.

Oscar Fisker Molgaard F, HV71 (DEN)
Anton Wahlberg F, Malmö Redhawks
David Edstrom F, Frölunda
Theo Lindstein D, Brynäs IF
Tom Willander D, Rögle BK
Noah Dower Nilsson F, Frölunda
Alex Cierniak F (04), Södertälje (SLK)
Otto Stenberg F, Frölunda
Dalibor Dvorsky F, AIK. (SLK)
Michael Brandsegg-Nygard F, Mora IK (NOR)
Felix Unger Sörum F, Leksands IF
Felix Nilsson F, Rögle BK
Noah Erliden G, HV71
Albert Wikman D, Färjestad BK
Axel Landén D, HV71
Svante Sjödin F, Örebro HK (born 15 sep so a bit unsure what´s the deal)
Arvid Bergström D, Djurgården IF
Hugo Pettersson F, HV71
Elliot Ståhlberg, Färjestad BK
Melvin Wersäll, Djurgården's IF
Marcus Gidlöf G, Leksands IF
Petter Vestheim (04) F, Mora IK (NOR)
Isac Hedqvist F, Luleå HF
Elis Rix F, Växjö
Victor Westh D, Färjestad BK
Axel Hurtig F, Rögle BK
Kalle Carlsson F, Örebro HK
Noel Nordh F, Brynäs

-------------------------------------
Here are 30 other interesting prospects playing Sweden, without exact ranking.

Filip Sitar F, AIK (SLK)
Zeb Forsfjäll F, Skellefteå AIK
Lukas Sagranden F, Örebro HK
Hugo Lejon F, Västerås IK
Jacub Stauncl F, Växjö (CZE)
Vilmer Alriksson F, Djurgårdens IF
Lucas Stockselius F, Djurgårdens IF
Gustav Ling F, Färjestad BK
Anton Petrini F, Djurgårdens IF
Melvin Pettersson F, Örebro HK
Eric Nordmark F, HV71
Elias Ivansson F, Färjestad BK
Albert Scholdian, F, HV71 (DEN)
Liam Persson F, Leksands IF
Johannes Frisk F, Örebro HK
Gustaf Kangas F, Västerås IK
Jacob Sagadin F, Växjö
Alieu Moldal Bah F Brynäs IF (NOR)
Sebastian Tamm F, Leksands IF
Dennis Altörn F, Leksands IF
Viggo Aspling F, Leksands IF
Hugo Branthsson F, Luleå HF
Elias Zimmerman F, Brynäs
Felix Johansson F, Mora IK
Liam Willner F, Brynäs IF
Ludvig Basth, Brynäs IF
Wille Ekman Cederborg F, Västerås IK
Sean Colin Lindeman F, Leksand (SUI)
David Granberg F, Luleå HF
Victor Mannebratt D, Frölunda

One of my absolute favorites among the defenders is Noel Fransén (Färjestad) but he is born late 2005 and is available first in 2024. Herman Träff (HV71), Elias Knoester (Malmö), Eric Burger (Örebro) is also late born and som more you might miss.

Now we look forward to the U18 WC!

Last edited:

Garl

Oct 7, 2006

Number one of the prospects playing in Sweden. No doubt about that. Leo stands for good hockey sense, nice hands. Good vision. Question marks around physique, skating and grit.

Moves likes he floats around. Nice hands. Strong belief in his game. Cool with the puck. Question marks about the physical play and competition. Not that strong ending to the season.

Noah Erliden G, HV71
Axel Landén D, HV71
Hugo Pettersson F, HV71
Elis Rix F, Växjö
Axel Hurtig F, Rögle BK
Noel Nordh F, Brynäs

Filip Sitar F, AIK (SLK)
Eric Nordmark F, HV71
Jacob Sagadin F, Växjö
Ludvig Basth, Brynäs IF

One of my absolute favorites among the defenders is Noel Fransén (Färjestad) but he is born late 2005 and is available first in 2024. Herman Träff (HV71), Elias Knoester (Malmö), Eric Burger (Örebro) is also late born and som more you might miss.

Bransegg is 2024

Reactions: The Swede and Alp

SelltheTeamFrancesco

Aug 11, 2015

Noah Erliden G, HV71
Axel Landén D, HV71
Hugo Pettersson F, HV71
Elis Rix F, Växjö
Axel Hurtig F, Rögle BK
Noel Nordh F, Brynäs

Filip Sitar F, AIK (SLK)
Eric Nordmark F, HV71
Jacob Sagadin F, Växjö
Ludvig Basth, Brynäs IF

Hey great write up. Wanted to get your thoughts on Dvorsky and why he is ranked so low for you. And what you like about Oscar Fisker Molgaard. I have liked what I have seen but you have probably seen a good deal more than I have.

The Swede

Sep 25, 2019
Don't get me wrong, but I've seen Dalibor since he was 13-14 years old in Flemingsberg and he's absolutely fine. Nice hockeysense. Decent shot, but not much creativity. And he has not improved his game playing senior hockey in the Hockeyallsvenskan. It's just marketing. He has difficulty bringing the puck into the offensive zone in a controlled manner, dumps and covers home. I understand, if you play at a level that is a little too high, it will be like that. Same with Lindstein, Stenberg and Wille Johansson. Wille Johansson has never dominated any level. But is absolutely a perfectly ok player. Covers surfaces, dumps and works hard.

As for Fisker Moolgaard, he has an ability to win loose pucks due to his superior game sense and his skating technique which I am extremely fond of. He gets right all the time and has managed to play his game even at the senior level. I haven't seen any of the 05s do that more than maybe Anton Wahlberg from time to time. The organisations are usually in too much of a hurry with the boys because of the draft and marketing.

So my list includes Dalibor but in the end maybe he should have been even lover. I See guys for an example as Isac Hedqvist, Melvin Pettersson, Victor Westh, Hugo Lejon, Liam Persson, Gustav Ling, Elias Ivansson playing a much bigger game at the moment and they are not in the discussion. Don´t understand that.

SelltheTeamFrancesco

Aug 11, 2015
Don't get me wrong, but I've seen Dalibor since he was 13-14 years old in Flemingsberg and he's absolutely fine. Nice hockeysense. Decent shot, but not much creativity. And he has not improved his game playing senior hockey in the Hockeyallsvenskan. It's just marketing. He has difficulty bringing the puck into the offensive zone in a controlled manner, dumps and covers home. I understand, if you play at a level that is a little too high, it will be like that. Same with Lindstein, Stenberg and Wille Johansson. Wille Johansson has never dominated any level. But is absolutely a perfectly ok player. Covers surfaces, dumps and works hard.

As for Fisker Moolgaard, he has an ability to win loose pucks due to his superior game sense and his skating technique which I am extremely fond of. He gets right all the time and has managed to play his game even at the senior level. I haven't seen any of the 05s do that more than maybe Anton Wahlberg from time to time. The organisations are usually in too much of a hurry with the boys because of the draft and marketing.

So my list includes Dalibor but in the end maybe he should have been even lover. I See guys for an example as Isac Hedqvist, Melvin Pettersson, Victor Westh, Hugo Lejon, Liam Persson, Gustav Ling, Elias Ivansson playing a much bigger game at the moment and they are not in the discussion. Don´t understand that.
Thank you for the great write-up. Yeah kind of see the same things with Dvorsky but everyone seems really fond of him just wanted to see your opinion as you have seen a lot of him.

Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX

Interesting. Is he just not ready for that level? His stats in j20 were great. He showed nice skill at WJC I thought. He is on younger side of class so do you see him having runway still?

The Swede

Sep 25, 2019
Interesting. Is he just not ready for that level? His stats in j20 were great. He showed nice skill at WJC I thought. He is on younger side of class so do you see him having runway still?
The way I see it, AIK played him too much in the Hockeyallsvenska during the autumn. I don't look too much at the statistics on juniors. I´m trying to see what is there and what can be good in the future. Many of the most hyped players play every pp and with the best players. Then a few points usually fall in. And many times in J18 and J20 there is a queue to the speaker booth to add assists... Dalibor is a top prospect. Absolutely. But i don´t se him in a top six role in the NHL. A hard working smart center, cleaning up and when a chance comes up he can use his shot. But i´m having problems se him creating on his own. And i never seen him play smart surprising passes and definitely never a long opening pass. I would love to see him swop position with a defender and create space for his shot. But i haven´t seen these plays yet.

Reactions: Blueston

Sliptip

Sep 8, 2022
The way I see it, AIK played him too much in the Hockeyallsvenska during the autumn. I don't look too much at the statistics on juniors. I´m trying to see what is there and what can be good in the future. Many of the most hyped players play every pp and with the best players. Then a few points usually fall in. And many times in J18 and J20 there is a queue to the speaker booth to add assists... Dalibor is a top prospect. Absolutely. But i don´t se him in a top six role in the NHL. A hard working smart center, cleaning up and when a chance comes up he can use his shot. But i´m having problems se him creating on his own. And i never seen him play smart surprising passes and definitely never a long opening pass. I would love to see him swop position with a defender and create space for his shot. But i haven´t seen these plays yet.

While I definitely would take Dvorsky over Edström, Lindstein and Dower Nilsson(and not particularly close in my opinion for those) I am on a similar train of thought. It's hard for me to imagine the high end NHLer in Dvorsky, even though I could imagine him being one of the players in this draft that could carve out a "low-end" role moreso than other players with more upside. The pace and creation is not there in a way that I could project. I will say that he definitely looks better at the junior level, but not in the ways that I personally feel gives a lot of hints of how he will be a dominant pro player. Could change, especially if he gains a step and also tries to find a better option moreso than a simple option sometimes. But for me, I don't see why you don't go with a player that has the tools in that case, and hope for that player getting everything together. This is why I still rate Stenberg ahead of Dvorsky and Dower Nilsson(to pick another player that I think will be rated too high because of point production), despite his dissapointing season. I see more tools that feels more usable in if stuff goes in the right direction, whereas the other 2 need such significant improvements in certain skills or an overhaul of their game that I'm not saying is impossible, but I just don't think it's a bet you take.

The Swede

Sep 25, 2019
While I definitely would take Dvorsky over Edström, Lindstein and Dower Nilsson(and not particularly close in my opinion for those) I am on a similar train of thought. It's hard for me to imagine the high end NHLer in Dvorsky, even though I could imagine him being one of the players in this draft that could carve out a "low-end" role moreso than other players with more upside. The pace and creation is not there in a way that I could project. I will say that he definitely looks better at the junior level, but not in the ways that I personally feel gives a lot of hints of how he will be a dominant pro player. Could change, especially if he gains a step and also tries to find a better option moreso than a simple option sometimes. But for me, I don't see why you don't go with a player that has the tools in that case, and hope for that player getting everything together. This is why I still rate Stenberg ahead of Dvorsky and Dower Nilsson(to pick another player that I think will be rated too high because of point production), despite his dissapointing season. I see more tools that feels more usable in if stuff goes in the right direction, whereas the other 2 need such significant improvements in certain skills or an overhaul of their game that I'm not saying is impossible, but I just don't think it's a bet you take.
I understand how you see it. And i think all the three been struggling this season from time to time. Dower Nilsson have a lot of tools but from years back i think he lacks competing. So i have to admit i´m a bit unsure of all three of them. But Dvorsky is 91 kg and years before Stenberg and Dower Nilsson in physical development. So i don´t know what is more to find there?

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $1,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $220.00