Prospect Info: 2023 NHL Draft (mod warning 1st post)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anaheim4ever

Jun 15, 2017
Yeah i know its early but 2022 draft discussion started pretty quickly too last year.
So far its #1 Bedard and #2 Mitchkov but after that what are players you are interested in for the Ducks ?
I don't see Bedard falling like Wright did at all. Who will be this years Slaf and Cooley ?

Blanket warning to everyone - the season is over, the active tanking is over, and everyone needs to remember how to get along.

Polite discussions of different viewpoints is fine. Assertions as to who is a good fan, who is a bad fan, and most particularly trolling behavior is going to result in thread bans and warnings. The vast majority of posters here are great about this. There are a few of you, on both sides of this issue, who are trying to start things, and I would advise you to carefully consider if that snarky comment you just made is worth being your last post in a thread. I would advise the folks who think that making an even snarkier response to make that same assessment. Neither of your posts will be seen by anyone else for long regardless.

It is perfectly fine to not understand how anyone could root for the team to lose. It is perfectly fine to not understand how losing has strong benefits to the franchise king term. There are gaping holes in BOTH positions, that may be discussed and debated…POLITELY.

We are all Ducks fans. Time to remember that and stop being at each other’s throats.

Last edited by a moderator:

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
I would disagree with anyone saying Michkov would be a #1 overall contender if not for the political situation in Russia.

Bedard is the guy. It’s as clear cut as it gets. He’s one of the best prospects of all time.
if it weren't the the whole russia situation, the clear cut top 3 would be bedard-michkov-fantilli. there'd be debates over bedard/michkov at #1 but bedard has the slight edge for me

AngelDuck

Rak 'em up
Jun 16, 2012
if it weren't the the whole russia situation, the clear cut top 3 would be bedard-michkov-fantilli. there'd be debates over bedard/michkov at #1 but bedard has the slight edge for me
Fair to say but completely disagree there would even be a debate. Bedard has torched every opposition he’s faced and I understand that Michkov had less exposure in a tougher league and didn’t get to play in the WJC. But I just don’t know how you say he’s even in the ballpark based on what he’s accomplished

And that’s not really a knock on him. Bedard has a better pre-NHL track record than McDavid and Crosby

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
I would disagree with anyone saying Michkov would be a #1 overall contender if not for the political situation in Russia.

Bedard is the guy. It’s as clear cut as it gets. He’s one of the best prospects of all time.

I actually think michkov and Fantilli are very similar level prospects in terms of hockey ability.

Carlsson is a bit of a wild card to me. I think he’s a bit of a project and could see him taking time to figure it out

I think it’s, for me personally

Bedard

Michkov
Fantilli

Carlsson

I feel much more confident in a fantilli pick… but I’m not mad at any of the 3 non Russians

Reactions: AngelDuck

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas

I actually think michkov and Fantilli are very similar level prospects in terms of hockey ability.

Carlsson is a bit of a wild card to me. I think he’s a bit of a project and could see him taking time to figure it out
I think it depends on what you mean by that. When I look at Carlsson I honestly see him as the safest pick possible aside from Bedard. For me, it would take very little for him to be a very productive top 6 guy. Where he needs to figure things out is his ability to play a top end level game in the NHL, get a little more tenacity to be able to exceed the pace and pressure of NHL defenses to use his physical gifts and skills to have superstar level output.

Reactions: Hockey Duckie

Mr Rogers

Jul 11, 2010
Calgary
It will be stressful and honestly they will probably take the entire 30 mins or hour (however long it’s gonna be) to reveal the final two picks.

AngelDuck

Rak 'em up
Jun 16, 2012
All this talk about Bedard reminds me of the days of Teemu and Paul. They were just magical together. The skating, the passing, the shooting. If you never saw them then you really missed out. Maybe Bedard can rekindle some of that old magic.
Paul/Teemu played the exact opposite style of Getzlaf/Perry but were similar levels of impact.

It’s funny to think about

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal

CHL ages: 16 - 20
NCAA ages: 17 - 24
SHL ages: 16 - 32+

Bedards plays in the CHL. There are lots of good teams and lots of terrible teams in CHL(WHL). Fantilli plays in the NCAA. There are lots of good teams and lots of terrible teams in the NCAA. Carlsson plays in the SHL. It's mostly good teams in the SHL as the weaker teams are regulated to a lower tier, HockeyAllsvenskan.

The only place we can compare all three is their play at the WJC-20.

• Team Canada, WJC-20
    • Bedard: 7 games, 9g + 14a = 23 pts (first on team), and +14 rating
    • Fantilli: 7 games, 2g + 3a = 5 pts (9th on team), and +0 rating

Fantilli was blazing fast, darting in and out, but it looked like he was playing a game all by himself instead of with his teammates, a directionless whirling dervish. I was confused because I was hyped to see both Bedard and Fantilli play as well as dominate. Bedard did dominate as he won tourney MVP, all-star, and best forward. Fantilli got lost in the shuffle.

Carlsson had himself a great showing at the WJC-18.

There is some caution with Fantilli's prolific scoring, it gets a bit muted against tougher competition. I discovered this when looking at the Big-10 tourney and Frozen Four tourney.

OTOH, Carlsson's SHL playoffs performance had him leading his team in assists (8a), second in scoring (9 pts), and second in plus/minus (+8) in 13 playoff games. The offensive output surprised me that Carlsson was one of the team players carrying it's offensive load when compared to his regular season. Maybe Carlsson can carry a team and we're underselling him.

Bedard is a generational talent now. Fantilli looks amazing and has bite now. Carlsson is the best two-way player today. Question is, what will they all be in the next few years? Carlsson's offensive playoff outburst against men might have increased his ceiling a bit more. What's also a positive for Carlsson is that this is his second season in the SHL, implying he could make the NHL jump next year... not that he should, but the possibility exists.

The consolation prize of Carlsson at 3rd overall would be a huge win for Anaheim who already has three top-6 youthful forwards.

nbducksfan19

Jun 4, 2008
Fair to say but completely disagree there would even be a debate. Bedard has torched every opposition he’s faced and I understand that Michkov had less exposure in a tougher league and didn’t get to play in the WJC. But I just don’t know how you say he’s even in the ballpark based on what he’s accomplished

And that’s not really a knock on him. Bedard has a better pre-NHL track record than McDavid and Crosby

Well he did play in the WJC- 18 and led the entire tournament in points, outscoring bedard.

That being said, if no Russia factor, I think he’s still pretty clearly behind Bedard, but would almost certainly be 2nd.

Reactions: Hockey Duckie

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
All this talk about Bedard reminds me of the days of Teemu and Paul. They were just magical together. The skating, the passing, the shooting. If you never saw them then you really missed out. Maybe Bedard can rekindle some of that old magic.

I think we'd have a very potent scoring top 2 lines:

Strome - Zegras - Terry
Rico - McTavish - Bedard

McTavish-Bedard has always been a pair and roommates for all WJC tourneys together.

Reactions: robbieboy3686

lwvs84

Jan 25, 2003
Los Angeles, CA
I think we'd have a very potent scoring top 2 lines:

Strome - Zegras - Terry
Rico - McTavish - Bedard

McTavish-Bedard has always been a pair and roommates for all WJC tourneys together.
Even if it's in pre-season or for a few games, I'd like to see Jones in that Strome spot. Big, goes to the dirty areas, and actually showed offensive improvement last season... and has a motor that never stops (until he gets hurt). Could also put Rico with Zegras and Jones with McTavish (but I guess that would be a REALLY young line).

lwvs84

Jan 25, 2003
Los Angeles, CA
It's kind of upsetting to think that the last place team picked first the last two drafts under new rules. Feels like a trend that is gonna get bucked at our expense.
That's what I was saying (that the last place team probably wouldn't win) before we got the 1st. Now I know that's going to happen.

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
It's kind of upsetting to think that the last place team picked first the last two drafts under new rules. Feels like a trend that is gonna get bucked at our expense.
oh you know 100% it won't happen again this season

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad