Prospect Info: 2023 NHL Draft (mod warning 1st post)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anaheim4ever

Jun 15, 2017
Yeah i know its early but 2022 draft discussion started pretty quickly too last year.
So far its #1 Bedard and #2 Mitchkov but after that what are players you are interested in for the Ducks ?
I don't see Bedard falling like Wright did at all. Who will be this years Slaf and Cooley ?

Blanket warning to everyone - the season is over, the active tanking is over, and everyone needs to remember how to get along.

Polite discussions of different viewpoints is fine. Assertions as to who is a good fan, who is a bad fan, and most particularly trolling behavior is going to result in thread bans and warnings. The vast majority of posters here are great about this. There are a few of you, on both sides of this issue, who are trying to start things, and I would advise you to carefully consider if that snarky comment you just made is worth being your last post in a thread. I would advise the folks who think that making an even snarkier response to make that same assessment. Neither of your posts will be seen by anyone else for long regardless.

It is perfectly fine to not understand how anyone could root for the team to lose. It is perfectly fine to not understand how losing has strong benefits to the franchise king term. There are gaping holes in BOTH positions, that may be discussed and debated…POLITELY.

We are all Ducks fans. Time to remember that and stop being at each other’s throats.

Last edited by a moderator:

GunnarStahl

Let’s go shake their hands
Oct 13, 2020
I would bet that the Ducks are outside of the top 5, likely still in top 15. Some early names to keep an eye on imo would be Dalibor Dvorsky, Brayden Yager, Leo Carlsson, Charlie Stramel. There is also Will Smith from the USDP for the funny name category. As well Gabe Perreault, Jacob’s brother.

Reactions: Kalv

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
I dont see us getting a top 2 pick....

But Fentelli, Dvorsky, Benson, Yager, Stramel, Ritchie(prob a couple im misisng) would all be fantastic adds..... very forward heavy right now at top of the draft... but i imagine some Dmen will make their way up the draft boards by end of season next year, granted it seems like were going forward 100%

Rasp

Apr 9, 2019
There are a stack of teams that are looking to tank this year

AngelDuck

Rak 'em up
Jun 16, 2012
There are a stack of teams that are looking to tank this year
Who? There’s Arizona and Chicago. San Jose and us are similar imo. Seattle and Montreal will be terrible but better than last year. Calgary is an obvious team to decline but there’s still some talent there that could keep them above us
New Jersey and Philly will probably be in the mix too
I don’t see the massive list of teams expected to be garbage

A top 5 pick is pretty likely right now imo

lwvs84

Jan 25, 2003
Los Angeles, CA
The teams that missed playoffs were:

Montreal
Arizona
Seattle
Philly
New Jersey
Chicago
Ottawa
Detroit
Buffalo
Anaheim
San Jose
Columbus
NY Islanders
Winnipeg
Vancouver
Vegas

Those were the teams that missed playoffs. At the moment, the only playoff teams that got significantly worse are Calgary and Boston (because of injuries, but that should only be the first half of the season), but neither are currently worse than Anaheim.

Teams that finished out of playoffs but ahead of us mostly got better (Jackets) or stayed the same (Isles, Jets, Nucks, Vegas). Barring any moves, those teams should be better than the Ducks but I can see San Jose doing below.

New Jersey, Ottawa, Detroit, and Buffalo all got a lot better (Buffalo to a lesser extent) and should finish ahead of the Ducks. Seattle really improved too, and should be near the same level. At the moment, I see Anaheim in the 6-8 range... only guaranteed teams below are Montreal, Arizona, Philly, Chicago with San Jose and Seattle as in our range.

tomd

Apr 23, 2003
Visit site
The teams that missed playoffs were:

Montreal
Arizona
Seattle
Philly
New Jersey
Chicago
Ottawa
Detroit
Buffalo
Anaheim
San Jose
Columbus
NY Islanders
Winnipeg
Vancouver
Vegas

Those were the teams that missed playoffs. At the moment, the only playoff teams that got significantly worse are Calgary and Boston (because of injuries, but that should only be the first half of the season), but neither are currently worse than Anaheim.

Teams that finished out of playoffs but ahead of us mostly got better (Jackets) or stayed the same (Isles, Jets, Nucks, Vegas). Barring any moves, those teams should be better than the Ducks but I can see San Jose doing below.

New Jersey, Ottawa, Detroit, and Buffalo all got a lot better (Buffalo to a lesser extent) and should finish ahead of the Ducks. Seattle really improved too, and should be near the same level. At the moment, I see Anaheim in the 6-8 range... only guaranteed teams below are Montreal, Arizona, Philly, Chicago with San Jose and Seattle as in our range.
The situation is even starker if you look at how teams performed after the TDL. The Ducks were in the bottom 3. Montreal played much better in the 2nd half with a new coach. Philly will be better. Seattle will be better. San Jose will be about the same. Ducks will be battling Arizona and Chicago for the bottom 3.

lwvs84

Jan 25, 2003
Los Angeles, CA
The situation is even starker if you look at how teams performed after the TDL. The Ducks were in the bottom 3. Montreal played much better in the 2nd half with a new coach. Philly will be better. Seattle will be better. San Jose will be about the same. Ducks will be battling Arizona and Chicago for the bottom 3.
Maybe, but can those teams sustain it for a whole season? New coach mid season is an adrenaline boost, just like selling is usually deflating. I think we'll be closer to 10 than 4, but if we're tanking I hope I'm wrong. The tough schedule at the beginning could detail any momentum like we had last year at the beginning.

As I side note, I hope Chicago drops 2 spots after the lottery because of the blatant/intentional tank job.

Reactions: Duck Off

tomd

Apr 23, 2003
Visit site
Maybe, but can those teams sustain it for a whole season? New coach mid season is an adrenaline boost, just like selling is usually deflating. I think we'll be closer to 10 than 4, but if we're tanking I hope I'm wrong. The tough schedule at the beginning could detail any momentum like we had last year at the beginning.

As I side note, I hope Chicago drops 2 spots after the lottery because of the blatant/intentional tank job.
Definitely too many unknowns at this point but definitely hoping to be picking in the top 3.

Reactions: lwvs84

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
Here is THN's Future Watch 2023 top-10 projection

1. C Bedard (WHL)
2. C Fantilli (USHL)
3. RW Michikov (Rus)
4. C Dvorsky (Swe)
5. C Yager (WHL)
6. C Ritchie (OHL)
7. C Stramel (USHL)
8. RW Carlsson (Swe)
9. LW Musty (OHL)
10. D Lindstein (Swe)

Reactions: Anaheim4ever

tomd

Apr 23, 2003
Visit site

1. C Bedard (WHL)
2. C Fantilli (USHL)
3. RW Michikov (Rus)
4. C Dvorsky (Swe)
5. C Yager (WHL)
6. C Ritchie (OHL)
7. C Stramel (USHL)
8. RW Carlsson (Swe)
9. LW Musty (OHL)
10. D Lindstein (Swe)
and that doesn't even include Zach Benson. Crazy deep draft.

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal

I'm fearful of our defense, tbh. I like the improvements in Strome and Vatrano, but we still need more after what we've lost at forward for depth. Right now, I feel closer to 2 than 10 only b/c of our defense.

lwvs84

Jan 25, 2003
Los Angeles, CA
I'm fearful of our defense, tbh. I like the improvements in Strome and Vatrano, but we still need more after what we've lost at forward for depth. Right now, I feel closer to 2 than 10 only b/c of our defense.
Yeah, the strong schedule might counter Gibson's (usual) strong start. It'll come down to when the burnout happens. 2 years ago, they couldn't buy a goal so he'd lose on a good game. This year, the offense is good enough that he might steal enough points to create a little separation from the bottom teams. Seattle and San Jose are the only other two guaranteed non playoff teams (Edmonton and Vegas sounds take the top 2 and LA, Calgary, and Vancouver should fight for the last spot), so there won't be any easy points in division this season either.

We'll see how the team meshes and if we can have real defensive structure in front of Gibby this season (I doubt that second part).

Reactions: Hockey Duckie

Anaheim4ever

Jun 15, 2017
I dont see us getting a top 2 pick....

But Fentelli, Dvorsky, Benson, Yager, Stramel, Ritchie(prob a couple im misisng) would all be fantastic adds..... very forward heavy right now at top of the draft... but i imagine some Dmen will make their way up the draft boards by end of season next year, granted it seems like were going forward 100%

1. C Bedard (WHL)
2. C Fantilli (USHL)
3. RW Michikov (Rus)
4. C Dvorsky (Swe)
5. C Yager (WHL)
6. C Ritchie (OHL)
7. C Stramel (USHL)
8. RW Carlsson (Swe)
9. LW Musty (OHL)
10. D Lindstein (Swe)
Which ones do we not want ? Like the Geekie slow types and muffin shot guys.

I dream big of them getting Michkov at #2 somehow and then year later he wins the Calder being fed the puck from Zegras with leading rookies in goals.

Ducks will never move up in lottery or get a 1st overall pick.

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
We'll see how the team meshes and if we can have real defensive structure in front of Gibby this season (I doubt that second part).

Eakins is still here. We know for the past two years that Eakins has implemented his defensive scheme. It works when he has very good talent and fails when he doesn't. We were atop the Pacific Division when our defense was healthy (Fowler, Lindholm, and Manson). We were below middling when Manson missed 16 games during a 29-game set. We went FUBAR after the TDL, losing Manson and Lindholm. Since then, we didn't bring back Sustr and nothing else.

We have a real defensive structure, but I don't think we have the horses to run it well. That's not on the coach, that's on the GM.

From
Lindholm-Drysdale​
Fowler-Manson​
Benoit-Shatty​
Mahura​

To
Fowler-Benoit​
Vaaks-Drysdale​
Mahura-Shatty​
xxx​

0p1bJHC.gif

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
Which ones do we not want ? Like the Geekie slow types and muffin shot guys.

I dream big of them getting Michkov at #2 somehow and then year later he wins the Calder being fed the puck from Zegras with leading rookies in goals.

Ducks will never move up in lottery or get a 1st overall pick.

Things might change. Last year was the first year we were in the lottery and we didn't move down!

2019: Finished 8th, selected 9th.
2020: Finsihed 5th, selected 6th.
2021: Finsihed 2nd, selected 3rd.
2022: Finished 10th, selected 10th.

2021 really was a head scratcher and it felt like the NHL hates us at the draft. We still get commercials before our pick too.

Reactions: Anaheim4ever

Anaheim4ever

Jun 15, 2017
I'm probably alone on this but i think Matvei Michkov is my favorite prospect in this draft class.
Imagine him next to Zegras or Strome. If you put him with McTavish they'll be asking each other: "you gonna pass ?"

Dryish

Nonplussed
Dec 14, 2015
Hki Metro
You guys understand that Michkov is not only under contract in Russia until 2026 but also regarded as a star that the local elite wants to clutch onto? It's unclear if he'll ever even play in the NHL.

• Haha
Reactions: Smirnov2Chistov

GunnarStahl

Let’s go shake their hands
Oct 13, 2020
Watching the Hlinka, Musty on the US team has some talent, likely first rounder for this draft. Here is a smooth saucer pass assist he had today.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad