WC: 2023 IIHF World Championship Division I

vorky

@vorkywh24
Jan 23, 2010
G'wan Lithuania, shipping that goal from literally a negative angle seconds into the period must have been a heart-sinker, but for now they're still alive.

Relegation here's probably going to be a fairly serious punishment for the short-term, coming into a D1B with a solid looking Ukraine and the much-debated Chinese.
It remains to be seen if those countries will play D1B in 2024.

ozo

Feb 24, 2010
It remains to be seen if those countries will play D1B in 2024.
Just because I have nothing better to do until next game, I'll take the obvious bait and ask what do you mean?

ozo

Feb 24, 2010
Shot total for both teams seems absurd. Anyways GG Lithuania, South Dalton deserved this one just by being more disciplined

BMann

May 18, 2006
Watford
Shame for Lithuania. They'll be back up next season and they have some very promising forwards. Expect they'll keep climbing.

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
I think that's far from a done deal.
More like "almost certainly not going to happen".

The worst thing is, this relegation is so self-inflicted.. Ridiculous player selection and we end up with a mediocre 16-year-old skating a regular shift at the WC level for us and the team scoring 3 goals in 2 games against Korea and Romania.

aquaregia

May 23, 2022
Lancashire
Feeling a bit of a weight in my stomach coming into this one
Theory suggests that Italy are weaker and GB much stronger than when they met in 2018 and GB squeaked a 4-3 win thanks to some more than questionable Italian goaltending, but of course there are still plenty of things that can go wrong.

I reckon 65/35 we get the point we need for promotion.

ozo

Feb 24, 2010
Dunno what to expect, but I have to go with GB. They, I mean Bowns, have 3 shutouts in 4 games, the fact that their promotion is not guaranteed is wild imo.

legionista

Jan 17, 2013
Maryland/Brooklyn
Congratulations... I am 48 and have been watching the Worlds since TSN started airing it so we are talking early 90's... I did not think that when Poland were relegated that it would take this long to return but perhaps I just didn't see the decline that was already underway. As it is, they need to still put more into the game there... ole Johnny Murray isn't going to last forever,

Who was the last drafted Polish player? Was it Marcin Kolusz?
You are right, last Polish player to be drafted to the NHL was Marcin Kolusz, he played in WHL in Canada for a bit but didn't even sniff the NHL.
In 2022 draft Maksymilian Szuber who is Polish born but represents Germany junior team and plays for EHC Munchen in DEL was drafted by the Coyotes in Round 6.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $1,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $220.00