Pre-Game Talk: 2023 Draft

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nikishin Go Boom

Russian Bulldozer Consultent
Jul 31, 2017
Its 3 weeks away.

The talent from 12-30 is marginally different. I think we will see record numbers of trades up and down to get their guy who may fall into the bottom parts of the 1st rounder.

I would expect us to get a couple of 2nd rounders for our pick (if not used in a trade for a player). 2024 picks wont hold much water in acquiring picks as the 2023 2nd round has been said to be better than the later half of next year's 1st round.

in a instance of this mock, I dont see Heidt get passed us and taking a small, albeit very skilled O defender.

https://thehockeynews.com/news/ferraris-2023-nhl-draft-rankings-the-final-cut (see how different the mock is from these rankings)

Daniil But, LW, Yaroslavl (MHL), 6-foot-5, 203 pounds, is a guy to watch. Really skilled and big but does he feel the Russian bias and teams not choose him in the higher teens / 20s.

plenty of depth and i dont think one mock will get it right passed the first 3 picks.

WreckingCrew

Feb 4, 2015
Its 3 weeks away.

The talent from 12-30 is marginally different. I think we will see record numbers of trades up and down to get their guy who may fall into the bottom parts of the 1st rounder.

I would expect us to get a couple of 2nd rounders for our pick (if not used in a trade for a player). 2024 picks wont hold much water in acquiring picks as the 2023 2nd round has been said to be better than the later half of next year's 1st round.

in a instance of this mock, I dont see Heidt get passed us and taking a small, albeit very skilled O defender.

https://thehockeynews.com/news/ferraris-2023-nhl-draft-rankings-the-final-cut (see how different the mock is from these rankings)

Daniil But, LW, Yaroslavl (MHL), 6-foot-5, 203 pounds, is a guy to watch. Really skilled and big but does he feel the Russian bias and teams not choose him in the higher teens / 20s.

plenty of depth and i dont think one mock will get it right passed the first 3 picks.
Sounds like our kinda guy if he's still there...except he DOES have size to add that bulk to :sarcasm:

26. Eduard Sale, LW, Brno (Czechia), 6-foot-2, 174 pounds

Playing against men this season in the top Czech league, Sale has been solid but unspectacular. He is a good skater and skilled passer who can find teammates in the offensive zone with precision. Sale is very good in transition, transporting the puck through the neutral zone and weaving through traffic to get his team in the attacking zone. He is quite an intelligent player, focusing on playing in the middle of the ice. Sale is a good shooter, but it lacks pop. He is slender and should add muscle to his frame over the next couple of years. The biggest thing that Sale is going to need to do over the next couple of years is to get stronger, be more consistent and continue to play a smart and projectable game.

Reactions: Nikishin Go Boom

cptjeff

Reprehensible User
Sep 18, 2008
Washington, DC.
I expect a forward who they think has high upside to be a physical guy who can score, but might be a gamble developmentally. Maybe in the Gauthier mold, or maybe an awkward lanky kid who just shot up and hasn't figured out his skating mechanics while being tall yet, and has room to put on muscle.

Who that is, I don't know, but I think down at 30 they'll swinging for the fences.

Reactions: Tryamw and DaveG

chaz4hockey

Sponsor
Jan 21, 2021
Naples, FL
I expect a forward who they think has high upside to be a physical guy who can score, but might be a gamble developmentally. Maybe in the Gauthier mold, or maybe an awkward lanky kid who just shot up and hasn't figured out his skating mechanics while being tall yet, and has room to put on muscle.

Who that is, I don't know, but I think down at 30 they'll swinging for the fences.
Would you give up the 1st and a 2nd to move up? I know it’s not the Canes MO but I might presuming you could be in position to draft a difference maker (I realize that this is a strong draft but picking at 30 is meh to me).

spockBokk

Sep 8, 2013
Would you give up the 1st and a 2nd to move up? I know it’s not the Canes MO but I might presuming you could be in position to draft a difference maker (I realize that this is a strong draft but picking at 30 is meh to me).

Way more likely they use the pick to add to the current roster imho. I’d be surprised if they end up making that pick. I haven’t paid attention at all to prospect profiles this year as I’ve expected them to trade the 1st all along.

Reactions: LakeLivin

cptjeff

Reprehensible User
Sep 18, 2008
Washington, DC.
Hell no. They only have the one second this year, and it's not going to get you into the difference maker range. The current Canes approach is best, IMO, unless you're picking in the top 10. Just throw lots of darts, go for high upside, low probability guys because you know you the veteran grinders are a dime a dozen in this league.

The thing I'd be tempted to watch for is swapping picks this year for picks next year- next year is supposed to be a much weaker draft, but is there any reason that that age cohort is inherently lesser, or are they physically and mentally talented but just not showing results because of covid seasons and the like? I expect to see some team gamble on those kids ultimately being just as good as the kids in any other draft, just looking weaker because they got caught up in some unstable times. That also likely portends a lot more better players coming out of later rounds- the perfect scenario to throw a bunch of darts. If we're trading picks, I'd watch for them to get a bunch of picks next year at a discount.

AhosDatsyukian

Sep 25, 2020
I want to see a Michkov slide and us trading up for him

I honestly would be a bit surprised if we end up using our 1st rounder, and I am expecting us to use it in a package to get a big roster upgrade to go all in for the Cup next year.
I can absolutely see us trading it but I don't think we will ever see this Borg "go all in" for a year. If we're sending a trade package for an upgrade it will be a long term upgrade. Shorter term maximization of cap space will come via FA or trades for distressed assets without giving up much (like Patches last year).

Reactions: WreckingCrew

Nikishin Go Boom

Jul 31, 2017
I want to see a Michkov slide and us trading up for him

I can absolutely see us trading it but I don't think we will ever see this Borg "go all in" for a year. If we're sending a trade package for an upgrade it will be a long term upgrade. Shorter term maximization of cap space will come via FA or trades for distressed assets without giving up much (like Patches last year).
i find it hard to believe Michkov slides past Washington and definitely not passed Zona's 2nd pick. STL would be silly not to take him with 10OA when they have 2 more picks.

AhosDatsyukian

Sep 25, 2020
From what I've read I would be surprised if Michkov falls out of the top-5 much less top-10.

i find it hard to believe Michkov slides past Washington and definitely not passed Zona's 2nd pick. STL would be silly not to take him with 10OA when they have 2 more picks.

lol obviously but a man can dream. only way I can get excited about this draft.

A Star is Burns

Formerly Azor Aho
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2011
It wouldn't shock me if we end up making the pick (or using it to trade down, of course) because it's possible nobody has a ton of interest in the 30th pick. Even though we likely project to be a good team in the future, I could see teams being more interested in a future 1st from us with the hope we falter and the pick ends up higher, even if not lottery territory.

I would not hesitate to move it in the right trade and I'm sure the Borg feels the same.

Canes

Oct 31, 2017
An Oblate Spheroid
It wouldn't shock me if we end up making the pick (or using it to trade down, of course) because it's possible nobody has a ton of interest in the 30th pick. Even though we likely project to be a good team in the future, I could see teams being more interested in a future 1st from us with the hope we falter and the pick ends up higher, even if not lottery territory.

I would not hesitate to move it in the right trade and I'm sure the Borg feels the same.
Yeah I don't see our pick being that interesting in a trade for a good roster player but I could see us using it to trade down for multiple 2nds, Patriots style. Unless there's a player who falls that we really like.

Chan790

Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Bingy town, NY
Is there some giant Russian defenseman in the draft we could land who's into after the play scrums, and not afraid of 10 minute majors?
We...uh...drafted that guy already. He also likes leveling guys with full-speed open-ice checks and causing people to go on concussion protocol.

Then he became surprisingly good offensively too. Now we just got to get Boom out of Russia.

Nikishin Go Boom

Jul 31, 2017
wheeler's write up on 1 mentioned by Bader

Timur Mukhanov — LW, Avangard Omsk, 5-foot-7

One of the smallest kids in the draft, Mukhanov’s a player who won’t be on some lists because of his size but has also earned some fans for the skill level you’d expect out of a smaller player. He has surprising ability to drive play at even strength, get off the perimeter with crafty jukes inside the offensive zone (though he can drift to the outside in transition), and win his fair share of retrievals. Despite his size, he also played — and looked like he could hang — in the VHL this season. A quiet playoff may have hurt his chances of getting picked, but I still expect a team to roll the dice. And hey, with his summer birthday, maybe he’s still got an inch left in him.

AhosDatsyukian

Sep 25, 2020
wheeler's write up on 1 mentioned by Bader

Timur Mukhanov — LW, Avangard Omsk, 5-foot-7

One of the smallest kids in the draft, Mukhanov’s a player who won’t be on some lists because of his size but has also earned some fans for the skill level you’d expect out of a smaller player. He has surprising ability to drive play at even strength, get off the perimeter with crafty jukes inside the offensive zone (though he can drift to the outside in transition), and win his fair share of retrievals. Despite his size, he also played — and looked like he could hang — in the VHL this season. A quiet playoff may have hurt his chances of getting picked, but I still expect a team to roll the dice. And hey, with his summer birthday, maybe he’s still got an inch left in him.
smells like a Canes late round pick to me

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad